Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not Actual Breeding?

SciKnight

TL,DWTR? (Don't want to read?): Passing on of traits appears to be working realistically which, when combined with the unrealistic nature of getting only 1 offspring per pairing, makes it nearly impossible to breed for desired traits. 

I breed dogs in real life so I'd like to think I know a bit about how they pass on their traits.

Here's a real life example:

My dog, Patches, white with black "patches), mated with a brown and white dog of the same breed. There were 2 pups. 1 was white and black, like the mother, and the other one was brown and white with black highlights on his ears and tail.

We kept the brown/black/white puppy. A few years later we bred him with a white female with no markings. There were 5 puppies of varying body types of which only 1 had the same 3 color (sable) coat. The rest were black and white or brown and white. We kept the 3 color puppy, the "special" one. Though he retained the colorings of the father, he was tiny. The father was big with thick, strong legs and a sturdy body while the puppy was skinny.

My point is, real genetics work much the way we are seeing in kubrow breeding. It's very hard to get what you want in only a few generations and traits can and WILL skip generations. The real problem here is that we are only getting one offspring per pairing. This will severely limit our ability to breed for the "ideal" kubrow. In reality a dog with favorable traits will be bred dozens or even hundreds of times to reproduce its favorable traits or the desired mix of traits. It could even take many intermediary steps of collecting the traits you desire into successive generations.

Just breeding for 1 offspring at a time is ridiculous, especially if the system is modeled on real genetics. 

My thoughts on a solution? Why not copy what happens in real life? Get a mature male and a female, leave them together for a while and BOOM, you get some puppies after a while. You end up with a few offspring ( a few chances at the desired combination) and you can have the kubrows mate multiple times, just like you could with real dogs.

Problem #2 is a whole new can of worms which my solution only makes more prevalent: what do you do with all the unwanted puppies? Well, IRL you can give them away or sell them, or *shudders* put them down (which unfortunately happens a lot). 

I'm sure a solution to #2 is in the pipeline already so I'm more worried about fixing the breeding system. 

Thoughts? 

What. It's a good idea. Ambitious, but good. Pokéframe for life!

Seriously though, it would be better. Or at least then what we have now. <_<

And yeah, I love Pokemon. Even a Pokemon-like breeding system would be better, where you can mate the same pair multiple times until you hatch an egg with favorable traits to replace one of the parents.

Surely you can breed twice per pairing.  If you have two kubrow and you make two imprints of each you can then make two more kubrow each with one imprint from each parent.  Or do you mean we should get a litter instead of one at a time?  I'd be all for the egg hatching and we get presented with a number (3 maybe) of the possible outcomes and choose one to keep.  I also think a limit of 2 imprints per kubrow is a bit low.  I have friends that want imprints purely because they don't have a sahasa and I do but if I give them the imprints I wont be able to use them myself in selective breeding attempts.

Surely you can breed twice per pairing.  If you have two kubrow and you make two imprints of each you can then make two more kubrow each with one imprint from each parent.  Or do you mean we should get a litter instead of one at a time?  I'd be all for the egg hatching and we get presented with a number (3 maybe) of the possible outcomes and choose one to keep.  I also think a limit of 2 imprints per kubrow is a bit low.  I have friends that want imprints purely because they don't have a sahasa and I do but if I give them the imprints I wont be able to use them myself in selective breeding attempts.

You're right.

The whole point is increasing the number of times that each parent can be used in breeding and the number of (potential) offspring. The current number of 2 times per parent and only 1 egg each time is incredibly limiting.