Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Energy Drain Is A Bad Mechanic. Here Are Some Alternative Mechanics.

DankiusMemecus

One of the greatest things about Warframe is customizing your build to fit your play style. You can find a frame with abilities you like, hunt for mods to improve your build, and experiment with new setups. Warframe is like a mix between a shooter, an RPG, and a MOBA. It works beautifully. Until your energy randomly hits 0 and you are playing CoD/L4D in space. Then you find out that If you didn't choose "I want to shoot things with my gun." as your play style, you chose wrong.

Here are some mechanics to replace energy drain.

Spell Shield:

A shield that blocks an ability. (Linken's Sphere/Banshee's Veil)

Dispel:

The ability to cancel the effects of Tenno abilities. Imagine an ancient using a huge AOE skill that cancels your Chaos/Rhino Skin/Snow Globe/Hysteria.

Silence:

Block ability use for a short time.

Sorry if everyone else likes energy drain. It just really annoys me, so I wrote this post. Feel free to ignore it and call me a nooblord. Not necessarily in that order.

Energy drain is an alright mechanic, as long as if the player is within the Energy Drain Eximus's aura range, said Eximus will pop up on the minimap for that player ala Enemy Sense, so that the player can pinpoint and target the Eximus. 

And maybe a slower energy drain rate, as well as a slightly reduced spawn. 

usually energy drain is manageable... except for excessive high level T4S where I think there are more eximus units than not, and every other of these guys will drain your energy....  it's a real nightmare... lol. It is in this situation where I think either energy drain should be nerfed a little, or at least have some control over what kinds of eximus will spawn, so that you don't have to deal with 10 energy drainers who caught you in their overlapping AOE..

No energy drain=No search for orbs.

Except when, you know, you use your powers.

If anything energy drain makes the search for orbs a pointless burden. This is considering in the several instances where it is a nuisance, such as magnetic disruption, where you can pick up and orb and still not gain your energy back until the effect is over. And the more common aura-drain seen in the swarming infested.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the potential in e-drain as a challenge, butthe way it's unavoidibly thrown at us right now needs some serious work.

Honestly Silence feels more like what Disruptors and the like ought to be doing anyway. They should be "You got hit, now you have to make your way out of this situation without relying on powers", not "haha bet you wish you had energy siphon and a carrier nerd".

One option would be to give some or all enemies immunity or resistance (e.g. getting staggered instead of knocked down or slowed instead of stunned) to crowd control abilities until a certain chunk of their health is gone.

Edited by Worira

oh I'm sure it will be changed sooner or later. nothing grinds my gears more than that random shock eximus in a tower mission who magically drains every ounce of energy you had leaving you to wonder how you have no energy. Its also a little funny because you had no idea he was there until the purple energy is around your feet and by then its already too late.

I think energy drain from disruptors actively attacking you is fine. I think the Eximus aura is a bit obnoxious to be honest. I think replacing the energy drain aura with a silencing aura will effectively render the same result, without gimping the player after the eximus is downed, all because an acient was dry humping a wall on the other side of a doorway, and you couldn;t figure out where the aura was coming from. 

At least with a silencing aura, it still pushes the player(s) to locate and prioritize eliminating the eximus, without gimping the entire group needlessly because of excessive drain, and orbs being wasted because carrier snagged them while you were being drained, or because you got knocked into one.