Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Don't Understand This Weapon Balance (Or 'art Direction'-- Somewhat Related)

waynexx

Prime Weps will always be here and be better, with more to come. So too bad lol.

They werent always that powerful, latron prime back at u8 had only 5 dmg extra compared to latron(45 - 40), braton prime had less rof but higher dmg, even paris prime pre buff was sidegrade to dread and in hands of skilled player had less dmg than dread.

All these weapons except for braton received a buff to be stupidly powerful when it wasnt even needed.

Only braton still represents how primes were treated in early days, less than 20% increase in dps and fancy gold skin.

So dont start with "will always be better", they are atm because some idiots think that 20% increase in dps isnt worth their time and even worse, de listens to these ppl.

Edited by Davoodoo

Proper tiering would be nice i asked for it few times already.

Another thing though is using mastery ranks to lock it. Thats a bad idea.

Unless you heavily adjust how mastery rank works or scrap this whole system i cant imagine anyone being happy about needing to rank 120 weapons just to get to that endgame pearl.

Also theres not enough weapons in some categories to make proper tiers even excluding niche weapons like miter or ignis.

If you cant imagine anyone being happy about needing to rank many stuff to get an endgame weapon then what about needing to rank many stuff to be able to get the Embolist, or even a Lanka? If mastery rank shouldnt be used to lock the good stuff, then why is it used to lock anything at all? So people have absolutely no incentive to rank up?

I believe you're right. You get the idea though

I understand this, and I wouldn't be as concerned if it weren't for the Boltor Prime, which outperforms* all of those, and whether or not the trend will continue. They're supposed to be sought after, and they look dumb. The primary weapons you listed are quite old, and that list hasn't really been expanding whereas the Primes are a continuous theme.

Honestly, this is all still besides the point-- I've got a stack of weapons gathering dust and they've been releasing more to be added to that pile. I don't think it needs to work like that.

"What is obsolete is obsolete, let's just forget about it and move on, keep adding new stuff, that's what people want" That's more or less how it seems to work, I won't be surprised if in the future some old weapons just get retired instead of reworked. It would be pretty easy to just take a look at some weapons, give them some breath of life instead of adding new ones that just push them deeper in the tenno armory, but why would they do that? New weapons get people hyped. 

If you cant imagine anyone being happy about needing to rank many stuff to get an endgame weapon then what about needing to rank many stuff to be able to get the Embolist, or even a Lanka? If mastery rank shouldnt be used to lock the good stuff, then why is it used to lock anything at all? So people have absolutely no incentive to rank up?

And ppl were never happy about getting to rank up so many weapons to get these either.

Mastery ranks or lvl or rank or whatever numeric progression in your game is called should be gotten by just playing the game, not requiring anything specific of you.

Mastery ranks is terrible mechanic to lock anything behind and if de decides to lock all endgame stuff behind mastery ranks then it will mostly discourage ppl from getting them instead of encouraging them to play.

I already said that but i will repeat:

Mastery ranks system should be reworked or new system should be put to govern what tools you can use.

I agree that mastery rank system should be reworked, but I doubt it will be even rebalanced, I always saw the mastery rank requirements as something meant to lead you through the game, to give it some kinda of progression feeling, it sucks to have to level up weapons you don't like to reach a certain MR and be able to get a weapon you like, that should be looked at, maybe reducing the quantity of points needed to rank up or something, maybe giving affinity points just by completing the missions (not linked to any gear specifically), but it's even worse that the actual system is completely broken, imagine a player that gets the boltor prime at MR2, how many low tier weapons will be rendered uninteresting for that player due to that "shortcut" to the highest tier? 

So, if you've been keeping up with me this far, you seem to lack an understanding of time, the premise of tiered weapons in RPG's, the other End-Game roster locked away in Clan Research and a proper understanding of the ACTUAL comparative strength of Prime and Non-Prime weapons. In summery, this post is a waste of everyone's time reading it.

What's wrong with you? You posted like 12 separate replies, all missing the main point. This was a normal discussion before you came in here acting stupid.

Let me reiterate for kids with ADHD like yourself:

- There is no tier system in place and as a result weapon progression is loose and somewhat illogical

- The difference in weapon strength is often massive, rendering many new weapons useless to veteran players

- 'Prime' gear is ugly, if not imbalanced

Example: A friend starts playing the game.. 1 day later he: hits rank 2, buys platinum and trades for a Boltor Prime.. Now begins his internal struggle of using the best weapon in the universe (with ugly gold trim), or everything else.

There are some decent suggested alternatives posted above (and elsewhere I'm sure). Do you truly believe the system is fine as is?

Edited by emuscles

Which leads to my second issue: Prime weapons out perform nearly everything by a massive margin.. and they look stupid (dat opinion doe). Warframe is about looking DOPE, but I just look like a dope running around with TACKY gold trim on my gear. My colour scheme is forced into including gold if I want to roll with these? WHY!?

Is Warframe really about about looking cool?  Or about feeling powerful?  Is it about overcoming challenges?  Is it about farming?  Is it a pet simulator?  Is it a dojo builder?  Is it supposed to be purely spectacle?  Is it supposed to be a sandbox?

Hopefully eventually the devs will give us some insight as to what Warframe is supposed to be, so we can give better suggestions to meet that goal.

Is Warframe really about about looking cool?  Or about feeling powerful?  Is it about overcoming challenges?  Is it about farming?  Is it a pet simulator?  Is it a dojo builder?  Is it supposed to be purely spectacle?  Is it supposed to be a sandbox?

Hopefully eventually the devs will give us some insight as to what Warframe is supposed to be, so we can give better suggestions to meet that goal.

I was only kidding, but good point. They could definitely tie it all together. Somehow..

So if I understand you OP, you don't like how prime weapons look and you're disappointed that the new weapons being released don't compete with the three or so top tier weapons?

Somewhat.. That's fair, isn't it? No one really knows what's going on with weapons though, and that's part of the problem.

Somewhat.. That's fair, isn't it? No one really knows what's going on with weapons though, and that's part of the problem.

If you restrict yourself to only the most effective of weapons you're going to get tired of the designs whether they're gold or not.

If you restrict yourself to only the most effective of weapons you're going to get tired of the designs whether they're gold or not.

I'm not! It just sucks that I have to be responsible for limiting myself. I'd like there to be some game system in place so I don't always have to consider and weigh the cost of trying new weapons out.

Some ideas then, to help whomever understand where I'm coming from:

A. Balance weapons

This seems to be asking the impossible, and isn't very interesting anyway. At least we'd have our endgame variety-- you'd feel more like you're adjusting your play-style rather than gimping yourself for kicks.

[i've never understood the entire lack of balance in this game..]

B. Implement some sort of tier/progression system

Have the difference of weapon strength categorized. Make progression clear. Next, give a purpose for lower ranks. A bonus for using them on harder missions? Perhaps the number of mastered weapons in a given tier unlocks or benefits the player somehow

I mean, these are not very original and just basic ideas that I feel wouldn't require massive resources for basic implementation..

Regardless, there's definite room for improvement.

Edited by emuscles