Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Xini Looks Terrible..

o0sayan0o

An idea I've been tossing around is actually having two additional "invulnerable" defense points, which would be placed deeper within the map. These would be linked somehow to the cryopod, and when damaged below, say, 25%, would make the cryopod more vulnerable to enemy attacks. Enemies would split their focus between each of the defense points depending on their health values, meaning players would have to lock down more of the map than they do currently.

Of course this would make the map extra hard for solo players, so perhaps it would be the single cryopod setup in that case.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting. Personally I would go with the single objective moving around but I would still be fine with either option.

I worry about Hallway Heroism with this, since it spreads enemies and players. Maybe have Tumors that buff all enemies damage, health, or shields pop up randomly instead. This means you still have to go in and destroy the tumor, adding a bit more to that maze. Enemies are made more potent and the stakes are higher to destroy the tumor, so I think this may solve the hallway hero issue that may come with defending instead of attacking.

Although I quite like this idea as well, since having multiple defense objectives could bring up the issue of hallway heroes, not to mention the issue Interception has where each player pretty much just sits at a specific point at all times. If instead of permanent mini-defense objects we had these tumors that randomly pop up it would still add variety to the mission but it wouldn't force the whole team into just camping at a side objective or simply outright ignoring it.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Sounds interesting. Personally I would go with the single objective moving around but I would still be fine with either option.

Although I quite like this idea as well, since having multiple defense objectives could bring up the issue of hallway heroes, not to mention the issue Interception has where each player pretty much just sits at a specific point at all times. If instead of permanent mini-defense objects we had these tumors that randomly pop up it would still add variety to the mission but it would force the whole team into just camping at a side objective or simply outright ignoring it.

Or a game mode that combines Interception and defense. The more capture points the enemies hold, the more damage the cryopod takes. It'd require a priority system for the Ai to still push the cryopod while capping points.

It'd require some finesse, and not jsut mashing the game modes together, but it could be interesting.

An idea I've been tossing around is actually having two additional "invulnerable" defense points, which would be placed deeper within the map. These would be linked somehow to the cryopod, and when damaged below, say, 25%, would make the cryopod more vulnerable to enemy attacks. Enemies would split their focus between each of the defense points depending on their health values, meaning players would have to lock down more of the map than they do currently.

Of course this would make the map extra hard for solo players, so perhaps it would be the single cryopod setup in that case.

Thoughts?

Why isn't this a thing?

Thoughts?

This sounds like its just pushing defense in the direction of Interception, which in my opinion is a bad direction to head considering how the community generally feels about interception mission type. These kinds of map logistics really encourage "Group Soloing" If it sounds contradictory, that's because it is. And this is the main problem. It encourages people to play with a group but discourages direct co-operation and instead promotes individuals to camp and solo defend locations in order to cover all vulnerable targets. Team and Group play should really encourage teamwork and team building skills, not the opposite.

EDIT: Here’s an alternate idea. Sorry for the length.

First I think it’s important to recognize the problem. The really old Xini tile was “balanced” that is to say it was a large room, two maze sections on either side. Then it was changed to a large room surrounded by 4 maze sections. While more convoluted it was still relatively balanced. Now it’s a large room and the maze has been pushed to one side, making the map “unbalanced”. Compounding the problem is the fact that infested come to the target, which is in the large room, meaning there is never a reason to venture into the maze rendering the entire content there meaningless. This is a huge shame as the maze area is really fun to explore.

Now that we understand the problem, we can look to possible solutions. One solution might be to dispose of this tile and start from scratch, another to tweak map by adding more tunnels, and another option that appears to be under consideration is to change the gaming experience to force users into the maze area. Since the option to “adjust” gameplay is on the table, I was considering what kind of game the map could be best used for as is and keep with the defense mission theme.

Rather than combine a loved format with the most hated format (Defense + Interception) Lets combine two loved formats (Defense + Survival).

In the same way that survival has a dwindling air supply, give the Cryopod some kind of battery timer. Similar to air drops, intermittently batteries will spawn at random locations throughout the maze area. Tenno will be required to seek out and bring back the batteries to keep the Crypod from defrosting. Once the Cryopod is defrosted it looses shields and halves the HP (or insert gimmic of your choosing) which cannot be recovered.

This will allow those that want to just play a straight forward defense to do so at the cost of the Cryopod’s Shileds/HP. Meaning the content will be solo-able albeit more difficult. At the same time it encourages teamwork since in a group the pod will need to be defended while the battery cells are gathered. And it is more advantageous for the longevity of the mission to keep the Cryopod from defrosting.

With a variety of spawn locations for batteries you can make full use of the halls and infested webbing throughout the portion of the map that is currently unused. I would suggest putting a pickup timer on the batteries similar to what you get when picking up a downed teammate. Once picked up the batteries can be carried like a Datamass to the Cryopod where it is inserted to recharge the battery meter at the Tenno’s leisure. As forethought on Troll prevention it will probably be necessary to spawn multiple batteries as well as have them timeout after a certain length post pick up.

The only real issue I see is that you will need a blanket coverage for shared XP on the tile otherwise People will for sure complain about mob separation and where people are forced into combat as there will be multiple battlefronts.

Hope you enjoy.

Edited by Austerity

Thoughts?

Why not have any and all "extra" defense conduits scale with cell size; akin to the Hyena Pack?

I like the new Xini map.  First, its a completely new defence map of which there aren't enough to begin with.  Second, it actually makes you feel like you are fighting a hoard of infested the way it funnels everything into a relatively small room. 

As for pathing issues, its not that big a deal - stuck enemies generally are only a short distance down one of the tunnels and if you can't quite spot them, that's what AOE attacks are for ;)

Thoughts?

that sounds like interception tbh

Thoughts?

I think that defending these additional points should make defending the main cryopod easier, this does two things:

1.) does not make solo play harder

2.) allows for a well coordinated team to try to go long in defense, i.e by using the additional defenses to their maximum potential.

Thoughts?

Do it, if it goes terribly bad, you can always change it. Doesn't seem too hard to implement.

Thoughts?

this sounds really lovely. I stopped playing defense for Interception ages ago. :) I <3 teamwork

Thoughts?

It could work for Grineer and Corpus defense, but it would not work for Infested. Infested are mostly melee and we can keep them from approaching the crypod by spamming powers such as Molecular Prime, Miasma, Pull, Tidal Surge, Chaos, etc. I assume most people who play defense play it against infested (Sechura and Xini) so I don't think this change would make that much of a difference. It doesn't really matter how much damage they do to the crypod if we can keep them from attacking it.

I think the idea is nice, but I don't think it would work well for Defense missions. It could work for other mission types though.

Thoughts?

After reading your idea with the two additional defense points, I immediately thought of an energy barrier. One down, projectiles can go through the barrier, and also ranged Infested spawning rates increase, and two down obviously is when the barrier turns off. I think an example of this would be similar to the Hive sabotage, where you destroy the tumors to attack the hive, but you're on the other end of the stick this time around.

I would just like to recap on the last 6 pages.

I like the map

I dont like the map

I like the map

I dont like the map

I like the map

I dont like the map

That sums it up I suppose.

Now im going to take a look for myself. Been a while since our last outing to Xini :-)

Thoughts?

Simply make it the one pod for solo players and this would be an amazing addition. Actually shake things up and give players more options. Let the outer points get damaged and lock down your defence for the center pod or split up and keep them all going.

Thoughts?

I like this idea as long as solo players get only 1 pod, and 2+ would get the extra. If this means that we only have objectives to go and destroy I am fine with that.

Also another idea you could use would be to place the pod in room where enemies can come from any direction, and players have very little space to fight in. 

Example: http://youtu.be/8ingreLVxEk?t=2m39s the room shown in 2:39-3:40 I think would make a good defense room.

If you were to make this size room and put the pod in the middle, have to so the enemies would come from; the front, the back, both left and right, above, and if at all possible below (no idea how that would work). This IMO would give the feeling of being surrounded and actually defending against hordes of enemies. The only draw back I can see in this is that players would just spam "4" and be done with it, but then again that's done on every map.

Thoughts?

HA! watch aliens (2)! the scenes were they try to lock down doors and areas to keep the aliens out. that mixed up with warframes mechanics would bring a whole new defense gameplay, at least to the infested denfenses.

ordes of infested conglomerated at the security doors, chewing and scratching, breaching their way in through the metal doors that soon show signs of fatigue... you better get that CC ready, cos its about the get nasty!

other infested crawling down from the vents and air shafts. ignis, gorgons, supras, launchers and rifles, all ready and aiming for the enrty points hoping ammo would be enough to stop this wave of infested madness.

would also be a great oportunity to introduce (and test) deployable turrets to the game (or the turrets could be already, and only, on this specific tilesets).

the posibilities are numerous and great. and this was just a quick blind brainstorm... didn't even had to try. it all came in a blink of an eye. imagine what DE can create in a week.

Edited by locojuan

Personally I find the placement of the Cryopod is a bit of a detriment to the new map. I mean you have this claustrophobic and elaborate maze for the players to traverse but there's currently no reason to do so since the Cryopod itself is at the end of the maze in an open area where the Infested can only approach from one direction. It makes it too easy since they naturally bottleneck themselves. Not to mention you have to wait for them to come to you, which is a bit boring considering how long of a trek they have to go through. The only time you are gonna go into the maze is when an enemy gets stuck or if you just get bored of waiting for them to show up.

IMO, the Cryopod should've been placed in the center of the maze (or even been capable of showing/up moving to a random spot as with some of the newer defense maps). That way the players are actually required to navigate the maze and cover as many positions as they can since the infested can approach from any direction and don't have to run across the entirety of the map to reach you.

Otherwise, I think the new map is great, it looks nice and it has a claustrophobic labyrinth feel to it that suits the infested much better than the multi-leveled, wide open space of the old Xini map, it's just not being used to it's fullest potential as of now.

P.S. Also there's a serious delay between spawns at times, but I don't think this is an issue with the map itself so you can't judge the tileset based on that.

Moving cryopods are best cryopods.

Thoughts?

On the subject of solo players. 

Any chance of scaling back the overall difficulty of Defense, Mobile and Interception to a point where all frames are capable of completing these without ultra specific load outs? Currently the difficulty is somewhat high when attempting to solo these missions on Frames like Mirage and damn near impossible on most other frames. 

I was thinking maybe a slight reduction in either the volume of enemies or their level. 

I really, REALLY love this game but I cant play it nearly as much as id like due to often being left to solo. I then have to go play Exterminate and Capture missions till someone is available because of the difficulty of other missions to solo. 

Further still, Defense, Mobile and Interception missions grant dramatically higher rewards than the other mission types(other than Survival), so grinding on anything other than those types feels kinda pointless :/

Thoughts?

NEVER do this i play with the friends only gamemode and 80% of the time all my friends are not in my games so i'm essentially running solo.  I play with this mode just in case oen of them wants to join my game.

This adjustment would be a really poor alteration to the infested defense for people who play the game this way.. if it's in public gamemode then fine whatever but not private gamemodes like invite only, friends or solo.  if i dont' have to see that then i have no issue with it being added :)

I enjoy not having to swing a stick around like a crazy person.. and prefer to pick off my enemies at range.

if you want to improve the infested.. change volatile runners so if you headshot them with a weapon, they do NOT detonate on death.  it's so stupid that slashing their chest with a blade avoids detonation but a clean headshot does not.. what's the diff between a bullet hiting their chest area or a blade anyway?  seriously make it fir for every play style or just don't put that in!!

Edited by Jax_Cavalera

Throwing in my 2 cents as well..

since its a maze covered in infested fleshiness and disturbing gas spots(fart zones.. as my buddy called em) wouldnt it also make sense that the map itself ocassionally tried to kill the player and the pod? 

Like infested tendrils spiking out and lashing at the pod or alternatively even boosting the infested temporarily.. simlilary to how Vay heks drones boost the nearby grineer.