Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Info: How Zephyr's Turbulence Actually Works.

[DE]Momaw

Question

I still occasionally see people confused about this. Which is understandable because this ability's mechanics are weird and not intuitive. So here's the information that you need to know when it comes to how to build and play Zephyr. Hopefully, this information will allow Zephyr players to make better decisions.

The ability has a duration, which is shown on your ability bar, and a range which is not shown.  Turbulence creates a protective shell around you while it active at a radius dictated by the power range, but whether that helps you or not depends on what you are being shot at by. Basically the key thing to realize is that Turbulence reacts differently to two different kinds of attack.

Projectile weapons are things that create a damaging object that flies from the shooter to the target.  This is things like Grineer Napalms and Bombards, as well as any form of "pew pew pew" laser bolt gun, and some abilities like a Scorpion or Ancient's "grapple" attack.  When Turbulence is active, any projectile that hits the shell will be redirected at a sharp angle away from you and almost always miss entirely.  It is very easy to see this in action because most projectiles leave a visible trail of some kind.

HItscan weapons are things that simply register damage by checking to see if a line of sight exists between the shooter and the target. This is things like the Grineer's Grakata and shotguns, the heavy gunner's machine gun, and even the railgun MOA's railgun. Because there is no projectile to act on, Turbulence is only effective when it can act on the shooter. Enemies that are affected by Turbulence while shooting will almost always miss you because they are subject to the same wild, random redirection that is so easy to see with projectiles.

This key distinction, and the fact that most of Grineer's soldiers use hitscan weapons while most of Corpus use projectile weapons, is why so many people seem to think that Turbulence doesn't work against the Grineer.

The problem here is the ability range.  Projectiles have to come to you and hit you in order to cause damage, which means that as long as Turbulence is active at all, then the projectile will hit the shell and be diverted away from you.  The ability is almost total immunity to projectile weapons (except those that have extensive splash damage) regardless of the ability range. But in order to protect you from hitscan weapons, the shooter has to be within range, and it's not a particularly big range. The temptation for Zephyr players is to use Narrow Minded, since the flight range on Tail Wind and the total run time on Turbulence are both duration-based. But you need range to make Turbulence effective versus hitscan type weapons by including more enemies at a greater distance within your disruptive shell.  With Over Extended and Stretch, even the Grineer are almost powerless against you.

rZMgHlO.jpg

12 answers to this question

interesting. Would overextended affect her ult?

It would but I feel like her ult is just for CC when there is a large group that you encounter that you can't take on just by shooting them. I don't think it does enough damage to disregard the use of Overextended for Turbulence effectiveness.

Edit: Would you mind posting your build Momaw?

Edited by (PS4)Panaorios

- snip - 

Thank you for the informative post!  I myself have been wondering about this; I've have tried various Zephyr builds with varying +power strength and +power range, with inconclusive results.  I hadn't considered that the shooter being within range of Turbulence itself had anything to do with how effective Turbulence might be until now.

Next time I run some Grineer missions I'll keep your tips in mind!

Thank you so much for the info, very very useful. I really like Zephyr but originally I would only bring her out to Corpus missions. After reading your advice, I changed her modding a little bit and brought her out for a test run on Grineer survival. Now I would use her for all mission types :)

This is interesting information. I've been using either -66% range (maxed narrow minded) with Tornadoless build or +3% range (rank6 NM + stretch) with Tornado because that range makes it pretty easy to get Tornados where you want them.

I've noticed hitscan weapons hitting a lot more with the -66% range build but didn't really think of it much until now. I'll have to test some more to find a good range for the Tornadoless build.

Hmmm. I'm a little hesitant to take off Narrow Minded entirely, but I'm having trouble deciding the most effective build, then. I was not under the impression that Zephyr gave a damn about Range, though, so thank you. This actually does help me figure out how to use her abilities right.

Usually I use Fleeting for that insane energy efficiency, ranked a bit down from the top if I have the room for Streamline. With that, however, I really like to have Narrow Minded to account for the lowered Range, especially on Zephyr, who really likes to have more Duration. With NM I might be losing out on what you're talking about, but Constitution and Continuity just don't seem to have enough oomph to me.

I know I can basically sacrifice Power Strength (I don't care for the damage drop elsewhere) and slap on Overextended, which seems like the most obvious choice. Other than that, what do you think would be a good way to balance Efficiency, Range, and Duration?

(I'm aware that this isn't exactly a build-advice thread but it's still on-topic, I figure.)

I have found that the opposite occurs as well. When using max range, enemies that are very close to you and use projectile attacks will be unaffected by turbulence, as the projectile never passes through the 'shell'. So maximizing range has actually made Turbulence useless against (for example) Scorpion grapples :S

I have found that the opposite occurs as well. When using max range, enemies that are very close to you and use projectile attacks will be unaffected by turbulence, as the projectile never passes through the 'shell'. So maximizing range has actually made Turbulence useless against (for example) Scorpion grapples :S

Hm. That's interesting, I haven't heard of that happening either. I wonder if it might be beneficial to go halfway between the two then? Either knock off Stretch, or go ahead and use Narrow Minded for Duration. I'm not sure though, sounds like this needs testing.

Pardon to necro, so it will only work well at extremely long range, while vulnerable up real close ?

Seems like a fair trade off to me.