Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Displeased With Kubrow System Overall.

Legonist

I think the thing is that some people view mini-games that are included inside larger games for no reason as Pointless and in this case it is in the form of Unrewarded Upkeep. With a few changes such as the removal of DNA decay, and a few other smaller changes such as the removal of loyalty and an easier grind to get the Kubrow, the Kubrow system would seem less of a foreign entity inside Warframe and more of just a new aspect of the pet/companion system.

If there was no upkeep then it would seem like less of a pet/companion and more like another piece of equipment/gear, entirely defeating the point.  The thing with mini-games within larger games is that they are optional and are supposed to be different from the main game.

If there was no upkeep then it would seem like less of a pet/companion and more like another piece of equipment/gear, entirely defeating the point.  The thing with mini-games within larger games is that they are optional and are supposed to be different from the main game.

I personally think that injecting your kubrow with DNA stabilizers is not taking care of your pet. You can't feed it, or walk it, or play with it. You can only pet it and stab it with needles. I find that defeats the entire point of having a Kubrow, the kubrow you are trying to treat like a tenno best friend was given DNA cancer by non other then its owner.

As stated in another thread which was actually just created the entire process of obtaining and gaining a kubrow is very crude and not the way most people would get a pet. 

I personally think that injecting your kubrow with DNA stabilizers is not taking care of your pet. You can't feed it, or walk it, or play with it. You can only pet it and stab it with needles. I find that defeats the entire point of having a Kubrow, the kubrow you are trying to treat like a tenno best friend was given DNA cancer by non other then its owner.

As stated in another thread which was actually just created the entire process of obtaining and gaining a kubrow is very crude and not the way most people would get a pet. 

DNA stab-packs are sci-fi dog food.  This was also in that thread:

If you would like me to add some fridge horror to your daily thought, especially if you own dogs, allow me to chime in. Everything you mentioned about the Tenno's treatment of the Kubrow species was, word for word, how feral wolves were turned into "man's best friend". Everything. Every. Single. Thing. Every domestic dog you see is the end result of a millennia-long, and mankind's most successful, eugenics experiment. 

The science of domestication and selective breeding is amazingly interesting...but, it isn't always pretty.

Welcome to humanity.

I am currently up to 37 Kubrows and have not had any trouble with them dying. If you put them in stasis they do not lose dna stability at all.

As far as the stim packs go for them, 100k for 6 stims that will easily cover your Kubrow for a week is not a high price to ask. 4 runs on pluto or ceres defense will net you that 100k easily. less than 30 minutes a week to take care of your virtual pet.

I like that they have added depth to the "pet" design rather than just another boring sentinel.

The system does have some flaws, but overall I am enjoying Kubrows.

It's not a mini game and it is just more gear. The upkeep is completely pointless and serves no other purpose than to annoy players. If anything in this game is level it and forget it, it's kubrows.

So level it and put it in stasis.  You should be able to get it to 30 before you even need to buy one DNA stab-pack.

Then you can go back to using sentinels, which have more utility and leave the Coo'-Bro to the people the people that want a pet simulator mini-game.

I have one Kubrow, a Sahasa, and since I don't like the RNG about Gender, Appearance and TYPE of the Kubrows, I won't breed more. It's morally wrong to me to incubate a Kubrow just to let it die because I don't like the result.

That said, I like my Kubrow. I haven't watched him fighting since I was to busy being badass, but I also never payed attention to my sentinels. I don't really miss my Carrier, despite it's usefulness.

My Kubrow is far from maxed, and I still don't see it die often, and enemies are most of the time busy shooting me instead of my dog. And I often use frames like Loki, Nova etc. who don't have alot of HP for the Kubrow to benefit from.

It would be nice if DE added some notification if your Kubrow is downed, as blinking minimap Icons can also point to other players and I don't keep constant attention on the area below my HP. Also, I don't see a bleedout timer at the body itself, unlike with other players.

DE has already halved the upkeep cost very recently, and I'm sure that won't be the last tweak the system will receive.

Maybe Kubrows shouldn't die from DNA decay, but become unusable if the DNA Stability reaches -100%. That way you don't lose a potato, forma etc. but are still punished for not taking care of your dog. If you take care of it, it gets buffs and returns the favor. I like that.

Edited by UltimateSpinDash

Maybe Kubrows shouldn't die from DNA decay, but become unusable if the DNA Stability reaches -100%. That way you don't lose a potato, forma etc. but are still punished for not taking care of your dog. If you take care of it, it gets buffs and returns the favor. I like that.

I just see so many flaws with being forced to give it injections or put it in stasis. If you don't put it in stasis and you are somehow unable to login for 2 weeks due to some problems be it internet issues, or you are moving, or there is a massive DDOS attack you will lose your Kubrow.

I would be more lenient on the system if it didn't have such a harsh punishment for not injecting your kubrow with the cure for the disease that you purposefully gave it. I mean if Ordis is smart enough to clean up the remains of my kubrow, flush it out the airlock and then precede to tell me about it, I would think he would be smart enough to inject my kubrow for me if I am either unaware or unable to inject my kubrow for myself.

Put him into stasis if you know that you won't be using him.

And yes, stabilizers are expensive, but again - Kubrows are not meant for low-level players. If you can't do 5 Sechura runs every two weeks or so, then you should not get yourself a Kubrow.

I'm sorry but if a pet demands credits farming from a dark sector that needs to be exploited by clan control abuse to maintain it's self as credit farm it's absurd.

Edited by Sutiban.Tanuki

I find it interesting how salty people get about the Kubrows, you can see it in the upvotes on people who dislike Kubrows, and the lack of said upvotes on people who don't mind them but make some valid arguments.

A bit sad really.

Regardless, I am in favor of Kubrows needing a change. It needs to be concrete - is this endgame content? If so, it must be clear for early players that it will be a while before they can obtain their own furry companion. I've never found any problem with the bleed out, found the mods (other than bite) rather easily, and find it vastly more powerful than my sentinel. (I do wish they'd pick up items for me!) DNA stabilizers aren't necessary, perhaps some other form of care for Kubrows is in order.

DE is sure to make changes, but until then, I find that Kubrows are work, but even a casual player such as myself can see that with a login once or twice a week, Kubrows are managable, useful pets.

Today i logged in to find that my Kubrow had died... forever. After spending most of my money on getting my Kubrow and lots of time and effort on farming to get him, all for a Puppy which pretty much had cancer. Besides the fact that DNA stabilizes are expensive and don't even fully heal your Kubrow, the Kubrow is on a ship with an AI and the AI is smart enough to eject his body into space after he died but is not smart enough to hit one button or to give a warning that my dog is dying. When looking at the health system for Kubrows i saw that he was getting + and - extra health, from my point of view i thought that it was just a system in which he would have a little more or less health based upon his DNA status but it seems he has the equivalent of a deadly Cancer. Compared to a Sentinel a Kubrow is worthless in my opinion, I understand that a Kubrow is a pet and not a Robot but i didn't think Warframe's Kubrow would be a member of Barbie Pet Rescue. Compared to a Sentinel a Kubrow is personally worthless, he may deal like 3 times more damage but he dies almost instantly against any enemy that isn't a grunt and don't even think about bringing him to a boss fight.

I mean i know he is a clone and all but I would have thought that he would not have like the equivalent of a Cancer that kills in like 1 week if not given the cure every 3 days. Compared to the Grineer I think Kubrows are massively inferior, i mean i don't think that Grineer need as much DNA help as a Kubrow and am mostly suprised because this is Tenno engineering but i guess it is really not advanced at at all.

Overall I liked how Kubrows acted but their health problems make them a waste of time and money. Just very annoyed at the moment and will probably never waste time with the cancer stricken Kubrows again, as my friends decided to avoid wisely as it seemed to have lots of flaws.

I had the same problem and posted a topic about this myself and only got negative feedback. But I agree.

I would have thought the messages about your kubrow being malnourished and dying would have tipped you off you needed to do something about it.

Malnourished and dying.  What did you think was going to happen?

Malnourished? It's a virtual pet lol, you don't even have to feed it.

Everything about kubrows boils down to nothing more than an annoyance mechanic. The whole thing needs to be redone.

You mean "an annoyance mechanic that I have no need to interact, play, or that in any way changes the way that I currently play, and could pretend does not exist" ... and yet it needs to be redone.

It's not IN your way, it's simply EXTRA stuff. This is like saying there is a gun on the market that has crappy stats. gives no MR, was designed for challenge missions, and yet, because you want to use it in a way that goes against it's original design, it needs to be redone.

Edited by DSpite

Malnourished? It's a virtual pet lol, you don't even have to feed it.

It's a set of numbers in a database with an attached set of mechanics to drive it.

You ARE feeding it. Unless you use up one charge of <object_2233> your <object_6446> will report itself as "dead" and deleted from the database.

It's a set of numbers in a database with an attached set of mechanics to drive it.

You ARE feeding it. Unless you use up one charge of <object_2233> your <object_6446> will report itself as "dead" and deleted from the database.

We are talking about feeding the kubrow just like you pet the kubrow, not some object y needs its daily dose of object x or it will die. Even if you did consider it feeding your feeding it because you gave it its source of hunger, which I am confident the Tenno could have avoided with their advanced engineering and technology.

Last time i checked you don't feed dogs needles but i could be wrong, I am the bed pet owner who's pet died because I didn't "feed" my pet needles.

We are talking about feeding the kubrow just like you pet the kubrow, not some object y needs its daily dose of object x or it will die. Even if you did consider it feeding your feeding it because you gave it its source of hunger, which I am confident the Tenno could have avoided with their advanced engineering and technology.

Last time i checked you don't feed dogs needles but i could be wrong, I am the bed pet owner who's pet died because I didn't "feed" my pet needles.

I made this suggestion awhile back:

Keep the DNA stab-packs in as a backup for Kubrow hunger, but stop using it as the primary source of feeding. Instead, have each kill a Kubrow scores count as "eating" and have it reduce their hunger by a set amount, depending on the enemy type the killed.

Says you.

Please explain in depth how the following is a mini game. Go to the market, buy stabilizer, go to kubrow click, done.

You mean "an annoyance mechanic that I have no need to interact, play, or that in any way changes the way that I currently play, and could pretend does not exist" ... and yet it needs to be redone.

It's not IN your way, it's simply EXTRA stuff. This is like saying there is a gun on the market that has crappy stats. gives no MR, was designed for challenge missions, and yet, because you want to use it in a way that goes against it's original design, it needs to be redone.

So because it's extra optional content it's infallibly designed?

Please explain in depth how the following is a mini game. Go to the market, buy stabilizer, go to kubrow click, done.

The entire Kubrow system is a virtual pet mini-game, including feeding them and keeping up their loyalty.  If you want to reduce things to their simplest terms then Warframe is just:

Go to level objective, click on enemy, done.

So because it's extra optional content it's infallibly designed?

Of course not, but it does mean that it doesn't need to fit "your" preference. You can argue why you think it does something it is supposed to do poorly.  Comment on what it is, not what it isn't.

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame

The entire Kubrow system is a virtual pet mini-game, including feeding them and keeping up their loyalty.  If you want to reduce things to their simplest terms then Warframe is just:

Go to level objective, click on enemy, done.

But how does this mini-game add to the game? If you took away DNA decay (which is very different then feeding it, kubrows don't need to eat) then more people would enjoy having a kubrow. I'm pretty sure that no one find sthe DNA decay system to make any sense and to enjoy the process of having to keep their kubrows alive though injections. I don't think that excluding people by having a mechanic which if anything takes away from the game is a "preference", I think it is poorly thought out.

But how does this mini-game add to the game? If you took away DNA decay (which is very different then feeding it, kubrows don't need to eat) then more people would enjoy having a kubrow. I'm pretty sure that no one find sthe DNA decay system to make any sense and to enjoy the process of having to keep their kubrows alive though injections. I don't think that excluding people by having a mechanic which if anything takes away from the game is a "preference", I think it is poorly thought out.

It serves the same function as pet food.

If you don't like it then don't use it.  That's the beauty of it; the whole thing is optional.

So you couldn't explain how it's a mini game, not surprised because it's not a mini game. And because Mastery tied to them they are not option until there is a lot more content where players can pick and choose what to level to increase their Mastery.