Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boltor P > Soma

(PSN)Vacuna

Question

Well That's what DPSframe.com says, but watching probuilds Calypto says that soma is better.

Who's right? I have both but only limited forma, want to make the right choice. I think dpsframe isn't taking in crits as a factor.  

I like both weapons but want the stronger one for late game. What's your all's opinion on these two guns?  I know the synapse is stronger but i don't have it yet. So, Soma or Boltor P? 

20 answers to this question

Ok, go to your Arsenal, then go to Primaries, and pick anything that is not Boltor Prime or Soma.

They are overused, and both of them look horrendous, and players treat this game like they're the only 2 weapons that can stand up.

Paris Prime, Amprex, Synapse, Sybaris, Quanta, Latron Prime, Supra, even the Gorgon are all good weapons, but they get swept under the carpet.

Edited by ArgonTheFox

Boltor Prime IMO.

With soma you need crit mods to be good.

Boltor prime doesn't need crit mods. It's raw damage is impressive enough, so you can stuff more damage mods into it.

Because Soma has better crits, if you're a rifle marksmen and get a consistent amount of headshots then you will out DPS the Bolter Prime.

These two are correct. I would prefer Boltor Prime over Soma, since of the greater dmg output, and that a maxed Heavy Calibur will affect the Soma more than the Boltor Prime.

Boltor Prime has higher DPS but the bolts have travel time.  Soma is hitscan meaning bullets immediately hit where the target is pointing when you pull the trigger.  Things like Nova's AMP, containers, cameras, RUKs weak points, etc are immune to critical damage which makes Soma a pea shooter in those situations.  There is no content in the game that requires the insane damage Boltor Prime can put out.. or a a Soma for that matter.  If you plan on going really far in an endless defense mission you'd plan on taking a complementing team of WFs where the powers would do most of the work for you in that situation anyways.

So what I'm trying to say, pick whichever you like best.  Oh and Synapse 20 meter max range really hurts it but then again the weapon can outshine the two above in a Volt's hands with his shield.

Personally, if I was going for an OP setup I'd go with Soma primary for its damage, hitscan and sniping potential with AKBolto's (really nice dmg output) as my secondary.  In WF, utility beats out raw damage in being prepared for every situation.

Edited by Judge_Hellboy

There is no content in the game that requires the insane damage Boltor Prime can put out.. or a a Soma for that matter.

So... for those of us who runs 1+ hour(s) of T3/4 Survivals can just run in with a Mk-1 Braton? How about when Lephantis was lv.80 before the nerf?

It all actually depends on your skill.

Boltor Prime is better for those people who just want to spray and kill everything, and while Soma can do that easily, Boltor Prime has a slightly higher DPS.

However, the Soma is far more accurate and has a higher fire rate. So if you can get headshots often, with the Somas crit capabilities it will have a much higher DPS than the Boltor Prime. 

So.. basically, the true pro's use the Soma.

However, the Soma is far more accurate and has a higher fire rate. So if you can get headshots often, with the Somas crit capabilities it will have a much higher DPS than the Boltor Prime. 

So.. basically, the true pro's use the Soma.

This. Boltor Prime with Heavy Caliber if you can't be bothered to make headshots. Soma w/o HC if you do.

So... for those of us who runs 1+ hour(s) of T3/4 Survivals can just run in with a Mk-1 Braton? How about when Lephantis was lv.80 before the nerf?

And what part of this game REQUIRES you to go that far to get your rewards?  I bet you can assemble a team that can do it with MK-1 Bratons.

Also it appears you ignored my next statement.

"If you plan on going really far in an endless defense mission you'd plan on taking a complementing team of WFs where the powers would do most of the work for you in that situation anyways."

AMP, M.Prime, Blade Storm, Vortex, Chaos, Radial Blind, Disarm, etc. to list some examples.

Sure Boltor Prime is nice but the high damage isn't a need. So no.  The FACT of the matter is that there is no content in game that requires the high damage potential of Boltor Prime or Soma.

I for one would really like to see more weapons on par with these so people cant be so easily drawn to such weapons.

This can be argueable since i think both are equaly good, but take in the account that theres crits on soma, and horrbile ammo efficenty even with maxed rifle mutation, Boltor prime on the other hand is better with that and has better base damage, So i guess it depends on which Tier Level your on, or tower mission, T4 i suggest Boltor prime, T2 and under Soma, but doesnt matter, both are pretty good, And for mastery tests i suggest Soma, becuase the clip size and crits and accurancy. But are equaly good in my opinion depending on what your using the weapons for.

And what part of this game REQUIRES you to go that far to get your rewards?  I bet you can assemble a team that can do it with MK-1 Bratons.

Also it appears you ignored my next statement.

"If you plan on going really far in an endless defense mission you'd plan on taking a complementing team of WFs where the powers would do most of the work for you in that situation anyways."

AMP, M.Prime, Blade Storm, Vortex, Chaos, Radial Blind, Disarm, etc. to list some examples.

Sure Boltor Prime is nice but the high damage isn't a need. So no.  The FACT of the matter is that there is no content in game that requires the high damage potential of Boltor Prime or Soma.

I for one would really like to see more weapons on par with these so people cant be so easily drawn to such weapons.

Sorry, didn't read that last part. But, I still feel that going to those levels is nice. Of course, like you said, its not required, but some people like to see how high they can go, or make the most out of their keys. Warframe abilities help, but that doesn't make up the entire gameplay.

Getting some mixed answers, No one has any real math for this?

I am a skilled marskmen and usually always go for headshots. So soma is my best bet?

Skilled marksmen.  Soma has little recoil and hitscan so you can somewhat snipe targets and get easy headshots even up close.  Boltor Prime has higher damage but the bolts it fires have travel time and is not as accurate.  It all depends on what you like and what you use it for. 

Boltor Prime is more frustrating to acquire but is relatively painless to forma due to decent base damage.  Soma is super easy to acquire but is a pain to forma due to needing several mods before doing respectable damage.

If you're a decent aim then you can compensate and use each weapon effectively.  Pick which you like most.  I don't even use either of these and instead opt for AKBoltos because I personally find them very fun to use.

Nothing like a little hyberbole.

If you're big on headshots and can make them on demand, the Soma is your boy.

If you can't be bothered and just like hosing down entire zip codes, then the BoltorP will certainly bring the pain.

As for why you use these...one word: survivals. You have to kill fast enough to keep the O2 flowing. If you can't, you'll have to extract. The Soma and/or BoltorP will just take you further than your 8 forma Braton Mk1. Simple as that.

Im not gonna worry about armor/multipliers for now.

Boltor Prime: http://goo.gl/uAAcS5

Body Shots: 23k Burst, 16.5k Sustained

Head Shots: 48.5k Burst, 34.5k Sustained

Soma: http://goo.gl/v3TqXp

Body Shots: 18k Burst, 11.5k Sustained

Headshots: 63k Burst, 40k Sustained

Nice. Might convert to Soma now. The only issue with headshots imo is that they don't become important until later on in the game. Early on in survivals, you can just do body shots and get similar results. I think the Soma will be better to down Heavy Gunners in the Void, while Boltor Prime will be more for creeps, due to their uses