The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suffering Fps ( Pc Specs Included )

Grahnz

Question

Alright, so ive been meaning to create a thread for this for quite some time now.

Here are my laptops current PC specs-

- Dell Inspiron N5040 - Intel Core i3 ( Windows 7 )

- M 390 @2.67 GHZ -  2.66 GHZ

- 6 GB RAM w/ 64- BIT OS

In game, the mouse movements are horribly slow and laggy when navigating through things like the Market / Mod / Upgrade Menu. This becomes a HUGE issue when trying to do things like Ciphers, or even simply aiming using my primary / secondary weapons.

My FPS is hovering at about 20 - 30 on Mercury, but my FPS drops to 10 - 15 when mobs becom dense, or alot of detail is being rendered the wide open rooms.

While on Earth my FPS is dwindling from 10 - 15 FPS. (When doing Earth Defense missions, my FPS will take a huge drop to about 3 - 5 FPS... )

Corpus ( Venus ) is pretty close to the same FPS as Mercury with a little variation.

-

The settings i play at consist of everything off besides color correction and at MAX Resolution. (Borderless Full Screen).

I should also note i play with FoV at MAX.

-

Methods i have already tried :

- Increasing my RAM ( Computer was originally 4 )

- Running RAZR GB

- Changing all my powerplans to maximum performance, as well as changing my graphical settings to MAX performance ( Through INTEL ®HD Graphics settings )

- Getting Microsoft C++ Distribute ( I heard this helps? )

-

TL;DR- My FPS is crap and my mouse moves like a molases which makes aiming; let alone clicking anything damn near impossible, is there any other things i could try to possibly boost my FPS?

( ... and yes my drivers are up do date. )

Edited by Grahnz

is this only Warframe or are other games suffering?

If it's only warframe try enabling multithreaded rendering or even disabling it.  Also, you should consider going into the launcher and verifying your download cache (which is scanning the game files for corruption.)

Good luck to you.

EDIT:  I do have a mobile setup where I use an i7 laptop with intel HD4000, for a day or so I had trouble with the framerate and UI.  It was in fact the power management settings that were wonky on my system.  Everything went from 45-60 FPS to 10 FPS as you've described.

Edited by sushidubya

A few ideas:

1. Use Borderless Fullscreen to make your mouse move better

2. You are using Integrated Graphics. This means you are very unlikely to hit the minimum requirements for Warframe (that's OK, I don't either)

3. Purchase a Graphics Card

4. Use Task Manager to stop any unnecessary processes

5. Try Un-Parking your Processor (it's perfectly safe, but I'd just do some research first)

Edited by Kylecrafts

I've just thought of something. If you had a GPU put into the computer, check to see if you have an integrated GPU as well. If you go to your Device Manager, it should be there with your main GPU. It will have the laptop manufacturer's name in the GPU name. If this is the case, try making sure that those drivers are up to date as well. I had an issue with my laptop blue screening because while my Nvidia GPU was up to date, my integrated GPU wasn't, and was causing the computer to crash. While you aren't getting blue screens, and if you actually do have an integrated GPU, try updating its drivers. Otherwise, I don't know much else to do.

is this only Warframe or are other games suffering?

If it's only warframe try enabling multithreaded rendering or even disabling it.  Also, you should consider going into the launcher and verifying your download cache (which is scanning the game files for corruption.)

Good luck to you.

EDIT:  I do have a mobile setup where I use an i7 laptop with intel HD4000, for a day or so I had trouble with the framerate and UI.  It was in fact the power management settings that were wonky on my system.  Everything went from 45-60 FPS to 10 FPS as you've described.

Thanks, i will give that a shot!

Its actually all 3D rendering games- I used yo play games such as Aion, Terra, and PSO2.

I had to quit even though i enjoyed them so much orz. 3D rendering and my laptop just dont seem to mix..

( I dont think power management is an issue unless i over looked something since all of mine are set to MAX performance ).

A few ideas:

1. Use Borderless Fullscreen to make your mouse move better

2. You are using Integrated Graphics. This means you are very unlikely to hit the minimum requirements for Warframe (that's OK, I don't either)

3. Purchase a Graphics Card

4. Use Task Manager to stop any unnecessary processes

5. Try Un-Parking your Processor (it's perfectly safe, but I'd just do some research first)

1. As it says in my first post, i currently play in Borderless Full Screen.

2. yep

3. Its integrated, so i assume its un- changeable?

4. Computer is fairly clean, even when running warframe, i dont cap RAM

5. I- Im not good with computers LOL

Hi Grahnz,

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the FPS. First I would try the above recommendations of enabling mutli threaded rendering as well as using the 64 bit launcher. If that last one isn't enabled your new ram cannot be utilized properly by the program. Traditionally adding more ram does not increase FPS, but increase stability instead. Usually low ram issues will cause the game to crash frequently, and occasional stuttering, but not consistent drops in FPS.

I must say that your computer is not very powerful, and that is most likely the root cause. Keep in mind this game is quite well optimized but it seems to lean toward being CPU bound, rather than GPU bound. What that means is most of the game engines functions are called by using the processor to render the graphics, and not the GPU or a solid combination of both.

Being a core i3 computer with integrated graphics, thats putting a very large work load on the CPU to try and keep up. This is why when mobs start to crowd the screen things get worse, the computer now has to handle all of the extra textures, AI, Shadows(what little is left on low) ect.

If the first two options do not help, the only other solution is to play at a smaller resolution, as that significantly reduces the load on the computer.

I am sorry if this isnt the news you wanted to hear, but laptops in general have a very hard time running any game regardless of graphical fidelity.

I've just thought of something. If you had a GPU put into the computer, check to see if you have an integrated GPU as well. If you go to your Device Manager, it should be there with your main GPU. It will have the laptop manufacturer's name in the GPU name. If this is the case, try making sure that those drivers are up to date as well. I had an issue with my laptop blue screening because while my Nvidia GPU was up to date, my integrated GPU wasn't, and was causing the computer to crash. While you aren't getting blue screens, and if you actually do have an integrated GPU, try updating its drivers. Otherwise, I don't know much else to do.

As im not good with computers, im not sure if im doing this right-

But when i go to Device Manager > Computer all i see is ACPI- X64 Based PC... I do not see anything with Dell in the Computer, or System Devices Tab.

1. As it says in my first post, i currently play in Borderless Full Screen.

2. yep

3. Its integrated, so i assume its un- changeable?

4. Computer is fairly clean, even when running warframe, i dont cap RAM

5. I- Im not good with computers LOL

All motherboards come with "integrated graphics". This is so the computer can show you stuff on your screen, but they are low-spec by design. You can install a Graphics Card along-side integrated graphics, and default to the GPU.

You are using a Laptop, and that means your options as to what you can do about installing a GPU are likely very limited. In all honesty, you probably won't be able to add a GPU. The only real option I see here is to purchase a new computer, preferably a desktop (easier to upgrade and physically maintain).

Edited by Kylecrafts

As im not good with computers, im not sure if im doing this right-

But when i go to Device Manager > Computer all i see is ACPI- X64 Based PC... I do not see anything with Dell in the Computer, or System Devices Tab.

I think it's under graphics interface or something. I can't check it on the computer I'm on now because it's a work computer, so someone else will have to explain how to do it.

Hi Grahnz,

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the FPS. First I would try the above recommendations of enabling mutli threaded rendering as well as using the 64 bit launcher. If that last one isn't enabled your new ram cannot be utilized properly by the program. Traditionally adding more ram does not increase FPS, but increase stability instead. Usually low ram issues will cause the game to crash frequently, and occasional stuttering, but not consistent drops in FPS.

I must say that your computer is not very powerful, and that is most likely the root cause. Keep in mind this game is quite well optimized but it seems to lean toward being CPU bound, rather than GPU bound. What that means is most of the game engines functions are called by using the processor to render the graphics, and not the GPU or a solid combination of both.

Being a core i3 computer with integrated graphics, thats putting a very large work load on the CPU to try and keep up. This is why when mobs start to crowd the screen things get worse, the computer now has to handle all of the extra textures, AI, Shadows(what little is left on low) ect.

If the first two options do not help, the only other solution is to play at a smaller resolution, as that significantly reduces the load on the computer.

I am sorry if this isnt the news you wanted to hear, but laptops in general have a very hard time running any game regardless of graphical fidelity.

Yes, i have everything checked that is possible on the Warframe Launcher ( Even Multi- Thread rendering )

argh darn, thanks for the honesty- I shouldnt really expect much from an INTEL R HD Graphics 2000 T u T;

Dropping down to 800 x 600 RES does raise my FPS by about 5, so i guess ill have to do that then.

You sure you don't have a dedicated GPU?

Edit: I hate when manufacturers give you a good CPU and tons of RAM but no usable dedicated GPU. So you end up gimped for a ton of money.

TBH, i have no clue nor do i know how to check :c

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200339 - Link to my laptop ( The GHZ is different, as well as RAM and such )

I think it's under graphics interface or something. I can't check it on the computer I'm on now because it's a work computer, so someone else will have to explain how to do it.

I have nothing in my system devices like that haha ;;

TBH, i have no clue nor do i know how to check :c

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200339 - Link to my laptop ( The GHZ is different, as well as RAM and such )

From the link it does not look like it.

But to be sure, you can check it in the device manager or download GPU-Z instead, I like that more. It will show you how many you have.

From the link it does not look like it.

But to be sure, you can check it in the device manager or download GPU-Z instead, I like that more. It will show you how many you have.

By the GPU, it simply says "Arrandale" using the GPU- Z program.

Edited by Grahnz

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/Daixsue/media/GPU.gif.html ( Not really sure how forum coding works here = u = ; )

At the bottom left corner, can you select an other card? If not, then this is your only GPU. By the way, this is my first time seeing this "Arrandale" codename with an integrated card. They are mostly HD 3000 or 4000. I did some digging and it's actually weaker than the 3000.

A friend of mine is running INTEL HD Graphics 4000, and it runs just fine on his laptop ;;

er, no INTEL® HD GRAPHICS is the only option available.

I see. Then you are very unlucky, sorry.

I am also playing on a laptop, my integrated is a HD 3000 but I pretty much never use it because of my dedicated Nvidia GT555M. But even the 4000 is superior compared to the 3000.

Edited by Momo93