Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Letter13

Framerate Drops? High Cpu Loads? Cpu Overheating? This Might Fix It! (Cpu Core Unparking)

Question

Hey everyone,

It seems like a lot of people are starting to experience some performance issues with the game, and I thought I'd make a thread to address said performance issues as well as provide what seems to be a way to fix it (as well as improving your system's performance for games other than Warframe too).

The (possible) culprit, spoilered because it's a bit lengthy.

CPU Core Parking

In Windows 7 (and Windows 8) there's a built-in feature to the OS called CPU Parking; this feature is designed to balance the power load and decrease power consumption by your CPU by limiting core activity. For normal (non-gaming) use this has no effect on applications and performance, however for high-power computing as well as gaming (especially since more games are being designed for multicore machines) this is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot; in some cases it's tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot and then dipping said foot in a vat of infectious bacteria. This is because physical (and logical cores if hyperthreaded) are parked and unavailable for use by multithreaded applications designed to run across multiple cores, and forcing a multithreaded application designed to run on multiple cores to only run on a single physical core causes a multitude of performance issues due to how threads are scheduled as well as how the CPU handles all of the extra processing (it can make your CPU overheat!).

Warframe's multithreaded rendering option is specifically designed to drastically increase performance on multi-core machines, however if it's enabled and Warframe only has access to 1 physical (and/or logical) core due to the others being parked, then you will likely suffer some pretty severe performance issues (one user's PC was blue screening because the PC force shut down due to one of their cores overheating). To fix this, your cores need to be unparked.

Unparking your cores is easy, and it can solve a multitude of performance issues you might be having, there's a nifty how-to guide Here, or you can follow the guide on this thread.

How to Unpark your CPU Cores

1. Download the Unpark CPU Utility and unzip it somewhere (like your desktop)

2. Run the .exe file as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

3. Click "Check Status" and wait for it to complete (image below)

manage-core-parking-util-1.png

4. Click "Unpark All" after the check finishes if any status reads "Parked"

manage-core-parking-util-3.png

5. You're done!

5a. Make sure you have "Multithreaded Rendering" enabled in the launcher!

5aa. Enable Threaded Optimization/Multithreading in Nvidia/AMD GPU control panels!

Give Warframe a try afterwards to see if this helped improve your performance or solve performance issues you may have been having.

Multithreaded rendering will yield a MUCH better performance boost if your cores are unparked.

If this worked (or didn't) work for you, please feel free to comment on this thread.

Where do you go for AMD?

No idea. I only have Nvidia cards.

It's probably somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center though.

I get 60 frames a second, can i use this method to increase that to 120? cause i feel like i'm locked at 60 for some reason and i want more just to show off.

Chances are your framerate is locked to 60 because you have V-Sync enabled.

If your monitor supports higher than 60Hz, feel free to turn VSync off. (If your monitor only supports up to 60Hz, framerates over 60 do absolutely nothing except for maybe cause screen tearing, it will also task your GPU more than needed to render the extra frames).

Unparking your CPU cores probably won't do anything for you since your PC is clearly having no trouble running the game.

Does this increase the heat ? I got a laptop with a useless fan that can barely cool the cpu and gpu so they are both 90-95 C always when playing the game. I know it's not a good temp but any higher than this and I will probably get blue screens and stuttering and other things like that. if this does increase fps without increasing the load or heat on the cpu then I will try this for sure.

I'd like to know this as well, my laptop has been getting quite hot lately (well, it's summer so...) so if it increases problems might arise. 

""To those who find this (it ranks very high in google search) please understand that there *are* downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and that it does not improve the over all performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because of the latter it could potentially shorten the life of your CPU... though by how much is unknown.

Additionally the supposed benefit of improved performance is highly misleading. If your computer and the software on it are working correctly your CPU cores will unpark on their own whenever there is a demand for more processing power. Unparking your CPU cores forcefully will not make your CPU perform better than it would if it unparked on it's own.

The reason unparking utilities exist is in the rare cases when a program requiring high CPU performance none-the-less behaves in a manner that keeps the CPU from unparking on it's own. Then it becomes necessary to forcefully unpark your cores to make the full processing capability of your CPU available. Some older games (predating multi-core CPUs) have this problem while newer games, as a rule, do not.

•  

Posted by Jeremy Armstrong at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2090450/unpark-cpu-cores-win.html

Not that it would be dangerous since nobody posted that his computer CPU burned down, but still nobody here mentioned the higher power usage (logical) and as result higher temperatures (what should not be a problem for Computer with more than one fan and decent CPU cooling).

on my desktop atleast the idle temperature actually went down while perfomance improved, and overall temperature went down a little bit aswell, and that is an i7-4770k with a stock fan.

my laptop didnt seem to care about it, still same temperatures all around.

Edit: ok, so I tested WoW on my laptop after I unparked all my cores, and the game normally runs with a 23FPS limit, and 50% render scale and sets the core at 75-80 degrees almost immediently, now its holding between 60-70 for the first 20 min, after then rising to just under 80 as usual, with 100% render scale and 60fps limit.

Does unparking your cores make application use more logical processors or just CPU cores?

Everyone seems to say different about this.

Cores essentially just dont go to bed, which means they dont have to be switched on before executing a task. The switch on process can cause a delay when threads get shifted to that core so if it is always awake you dont have that delay while the core gets up from a nap. The system can always use the cores/logical cores, it just has to throw water on em first :P

Quick defenition of Core Parking and why it causes performance issues

Core parking is a C6 sleep state used to conserve power by switching  cores off/on dynamically as load requires (kind of like speedstep adjusts frequency based on load). Windows tends to be a bit aggressive with parking so it leans toward off more for power saving which causes execution delays because the core has to be removed from sleep. This is debatable as to if it is a benefit because of the whole "race to idle" argument but thats a whole other thing entirely and depends on how fast the CPU can wake from sleep.

""To those who find this (it ranks very high in google search) please understand that there *are* downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and that it does not improve the over all performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because of the latter it could potentially shorten the life of your CPU... though by how much is unknown.

Additionally the supposed benefit of improved performance is highly misleading. If your computer and the software on it are working correctly your CPU cores will unpark on their own whenever there is a demand for more processing power. Unparking your CPU cores forcefully will not make your CPU perform better than it would if it unparked on it's own.

The reason unparking utilities exist is in the rare cases when a program requiring high CPU performance none-the-less behaves in a manner that keeps the CPU from unparking on it's own. Then it becomes necessary to forcefully unpark your cores to make the full processing capability of your CPU available. Some older games (predating multi-core CPUs) have this problem while newer games, as a rule, do not.

•  

Posted by Jeremy Armstrong at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2090450/unpark-cpu-cores-win.html

Not that it would be dangerous since nobody posted that his computer CPU burned down, but still nobody here mentioned the higher power usage (logical) and as result higher temperatures (what should not be a problem for Computer with more than one fan and decent CPU cooling).

I prefer this solution, just a registry tweak.

parking_in_power_profile_settings.png

https://bitsum.com/files/parking_in_power_options.zip

source :https://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Also, disabling C6 in your bios may do the same result (unsure how accurate it is). I know if you disable turbo boost and/or use throttle stop to make it less powerful can improve your performance!

L13, never leave this community. I've been suffering from random, 2 - 4 second-long framerate drops in all of my games and I looked up so many ways to do it. Changing my speakers drivers, deleting a lot of content, lowering my graphics... nothing. I hope that this works and if it does, I will forever be in your debt.

Every single core was parked, unparked all and went straight to a relay. Instead of locking up like usual I just had minor stuttering.

Thank you Letter!

Great job on the info and help, got a question though, how do we do the opposite? Multithread isn't working, cpu load is below 15% most of the times (8 threads here) while gpu is screaming its head off.

What's your CPU and GPU?

These are signs that your CPU is not the cause of low framerates. Rather it's likely that your GPU is the culprit (try updating your Nvidia/AMD drivers based on the GPU you have).

Sort of. Logical processors don't *actually* exist (they're just hyperthreading). Each physical core is addressed two logical cores (one designated "physical" which acts as the address of the whole core and one as "logical" which is sort of like a secondary core used for improving parallelization through simultaneous multithreading). Basically every physical core has an additional logical core assigned/dedicated to it.

The status of the physical core (Parked/Unparked) also affects its logical core; so if a physical core is parked then an application is barred from both that physical core and the logical core assigned to it.

So by unparking the physical cores, you are allowing the application to have free access to both the physical core and its associated logical core. In that sense unparking does both; it allows the application to use more logical and physical cores.

Here's an image explaining how parked status affects programs:

8cdbf6f04d2059d57539baf654a40598.png

Thanks.

I have installed that program and a bit confused there.

The program says that all those cores were parked.

Whilst resource monitor only said this:

CPU0

CPU1 Parked

CPU2

CPU3 Parked

I have a few questions about this:

does doing what you said have any side-effects on my laptop?

if this didn't work, how can we undo it?

thank you and I'm trying it now 

Dieing to try this when i get the chance, why isnt this stickied? ;;

It was. Idk what happened though.

Didn't see any improvement on my end. Still runs around 40-70 fps. Maybe it's not that noticeable since the game already runs smooth before unparking my CPUs.

However, windows explorer did restart during the unparking process. I don't know if that was intended. Might as well put it in the 1st post so people won't freak out when they got an error about Windows Explorer havng an error and needs to be restarted. I'm using Windows 8 btw

Except it's free. It's also something that should be common sense since it applies to pretty much any game (or application) that uses multithreaded processing or multiple cores. Especially useful for MMOs.

Core parking is a feature that should have never been added into Windows 7/8. It's a ridiculous feature that tends to do more harm than good.

Is far from useless! Problem is it can harm the one who want to overclock they cpu or/and gamer. It do help me to make my laptop last longer on battery!