Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Framerate Drops? High Cpu Loads? Cpu Overheating? This Might Fix It! (Cpu Core Unparking)

Letter13

Question

Hey everyone,

It seems like a lot of people are starting to experience some performance issues with the game, and I thought I'd make a thread to address said performance issues as well as provide what seems to be a way to fix it (as well as improving your system's performance for games other than Warframe too).

The (possible) culprit, spoilered because it's a bit lengthy.

CPU Core Parking

In Windows 7 (and Windows 8) there's a built-in feature to the OS called CPU Parking; this feature is designed to balance the power load and decrease power consumption by your CPU by limiting core activity. For normal (non-gaming) use this has no effect on applications and performance, however for high-power computing as well as gaming (especially since more games are being designed for multicore machines) this is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot; in some cases it's tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot and then dipping said foot in a vat of infectious bacteria. This is because physical (and logical cores if hyperthreaded) are parked and unavailable for use by multithreaded applications designed to run across multiple cores, and forcing a multithreaded application designed to run on multiple cores to only run on a single physical core causes a multitude of performance issues due to how threads are scheduled as well as how the CPU handles all of the extra processing (it can make your CPU overheat!).

Warframe's multithreaded rendering option is specifically designed to drastically increase performance on multi-core machines, however if it's enabled and Warframe only has access to 1 physical (and/or logical) core due to the others being parked, then you will likely suffer some pretty severe performance issues (one user's PC was blue screening because the PC force shut down due to one of their cores overheating). To fix this, your cores need to be unparked.

Unparking your cores is easy, and it can solve a multitude of performance issues you might be having, there's a nifty how-to guide Here, or you can follow the guide on this thread.

How to Unpark your CPU Cores

1. Download the Unpark CPU Utility and unzip it somewhere (like your desktop)

2. Run the .exe file as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

3. Click "Check Status" and wait for it to complete (image below)

manage-core-parking-util-1.png

4. Click "Unpark All" after the check finishes if any status reads "Parked"

manage-core-parking-util-3.png

5. You're done!

5a. Make sure you have "Multithreaded Rendering" enabled in the launcher!

5aa. Enable Threaded Optimization/Multithreading in Nvidia/AMD GPU control panels!

Give Warframe a try afterwards to see if this helped improve your performance or solve performance issues you may have been having.

Multithreaded rendering will yield a MUCH better performance boost if your cores are unparked.

If this worked (or didn't) work for you, please feel free to comment on this thread.

Then you don't really need to do anything extra. I would highly recommend using the Nvidia card in your laptop though if it's a GTX (5/6/7/8)50 or above as that will get you way better framerates. If you're worried about overheating, get a can of air to clear out the dust. Another option (if you're confident in your abilities to do so) would be to open up your laptop and swap out the thermal pads/grease on your CPU and GPU and use a better thermal compound like Arctic Silver instead (this however voids any and all warranties you have, and should only be done if you have the skills to do so as it is very easy to accidentally damage laptop components)

i wont open it even though its out of warrenty im mechanical engineer not computer engineer xD and i got no replacment for that laptop till i get a new 1 so if its broken i wont get 1 till new year...however i got GT 555m its lenovo laptop y570...im still waiting for lenovo y50 to come egypt then ill be happy

Thx a ton. Saw this sort of thing months ago and didn't get it to work. 3 more cores unparked >.>.

Btw, I had to "extract,unzip, unpack w/e" the "UnparkCPU" file within the downloaded file first b4 I could right click and run as administrator.  

I could only merely run the application and have it fail w/o unpacking it.

Edited by Quizel

BTW: Norton antiviris (yes I know it is stupid) flagged one of the included files as a risk and quarantined it. I was still able to run the app successfully though... 

Norton Antivirus is a bit of a dope. Just grab Microsoft Security Essentials. Just as effective (if not moreso) with less of an impact to your system's performance.

Oooo thanks, I don't get lag spikes during loading screen now, just lags now.

Well, some improvement is better than no improvement!

Unparked. THANKS. I'll also tell this to my friend. We're playing Warframe at 10 fps/

Hope it gives you a few more FPS!

Does doing this have negative effects?

Maybe a slightly increased electricity bill if you happen to keep your computer on 24/7, or a barely noticeable increase if you turn your computer off when you go to sleep. Beyond that, not really, no.

So i have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T proccessor with windows 7, what are the chances that my cores are parked?

But if i put on Gaming in the Power plan options menu wont that just open up the cores anyways for maximum performance?

I tried it, (PC has GT430 and 4GB of RAM btw, don't know if that's good) put the game in its highest settings and turned on the fancy bits except for motion blur and bloom... and ERMAHGERD THE GAME HAD NEVER BEEN THIS SMOOTH ON THOSE SETTINGS.

Thank you so much Letter13 *U*\

thank you Letter13‼ I was happy before just to get up to 60fps and now I am getting more than that in average.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Glad to hear you're getting great results!

Quick question does it increase the amount of power of watts used in your CPU if you are going to unpark it? 

Yes-ish. Obviously it won't make your CPU draw more watts than it's specifications state (because that's the power draw when it's running on all cylinders). For the most part though it won't really hit your electricity bill at all, maybe an extra dollar or two a month.

So i have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T proccessor with windows 7, what are the chances that my cores are parked?

100% chance your cores are parked if you have 2 or more cores and have never unparked them; I don't use AMD but I believe core parking is a WIndows 7/8 feature and not CPU specific.

But if i put on Gaming in the Power plan options menu wont that just open up the cores anyways for maximum performance?

Nope. "Gaming" in the power plan options probably does nothing in terms of core unparking. It probably just disables HDD sleeping, turns brightness up, CPU cooling policy to active and minimum CPU % states. This doesn't actually affect cores in terms of parking/unparking.

Thanks, I dunno if this'll help, not playing at the moment, but at the start of U14, I could get 120FPS in the Void. Same settings, I now get 40-70.  Hotfixes fudged performance.

Something in the hotfixes could definitely have borked game performance, it wouldn't be the first time. But for those who are getting really terrible framerates or CPU core overheating problems this seems to be a working fix. It also helps CPU-heavy and CPU-bottlenecked games run more efficiently.

I experienced absolutely no changes. I had three parked cores. I was hoping unparking them would take off heat from my video card like Crackle's case, but it didn't and it still has to be underclocked to prevent overheating. No difference in fps too.

Putting Gaming on in my power settings made warframe run much smoother in general

I was getting 60 steady in normal and 45ish in the void where as before on Balanced it was prob less than 30

I did the park job and now my 3 cores are unparked, framerate in ship is 60 on balanced where as before on balanced and parked it was less than 30

Still tho il change my power saving settings and leave it in upark since it should help with other games like PS2