Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Framerate Drops? High Cpu Loads? Cpu Overheating? This Might Fix It! (Cpu Core Unparking)

Letter13

Question

Hey everyone,

It seems like a lot of people are starting to experience some performance issues with the game, and I thought I'd make a thread to address said performance issues as well as provide what seems to be a way to fix it (as well as improving your system's performance for games other than Warframe too).

The (possible) culprit, spoilered because it's a bit lengthy.

CPU Core Parking

In Windows 7 (and Windows 8) there's a built-in feature to the OS called CPU Parking; this feature is designed to balance the power load and decrease power consumption by your CPU by limiting core activity. For normal (non-gaming) use this has no effect on applications and performance, however for high-power computing as well as gaming (especially since more games are being designed for multicore machines) this is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot; in some cases it's tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot and then dipping said foot in a vat of infectious bacteria. This is because physical (and logical cores if hyperthreaded) are parked and unavailable for use by multithreaded applications designed to run across multiple cores, and forcing a multithreaded application designed to run on multiple cores to only run on a single physical core causes a multitude of performance issues due to how threads are scheduled as well as how the CPU handles all of the extra processing (it can make your CPU overheat!).

Warframe's multithreaded rendering option is specifically designed to drastically increase performance on multi-core machines, however if it's enabled and Warframe only has access to 1 physical (and/or logical) core due to the others being parked, then you will likely suffer some pretty severe performance issues (one user's PC was blue screening because the PC force shut down due to one of their cores overheating). To fix this, your cores need to be unparked.

Unparking your cores is easy, and it can solve a multitude of performance issues you might be having, there's a nifty how-to guide Here, or you can follow the guide on this thread.

How to Unpark your CPU Cores

1. Download the Unpark CPU Utility and unzip it somewhere (like your desktop)

2. Run the .exe file as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

3. Click "Check Status" and wait for it to complete (image below)

manage-core-parking-util-1.png

4. Click "Unpark All" after the check finishes if any status reads "Parked"

manage-core-parking-util-3.png

5. You're done!

5a. Make sure you have "Multithreaded Rendering" enabled in the launcher!

5aa. Enable Threaded Optimization/Multithreading in Nvidia/AMD GPU control panels!

Give Warframe a try afterwards to see if this helped improve your performance or solve performance issues you may have been having.

Multithreaded rendering will yield a MUCH better performance boost if your cores are unparked.

If this worked (or didn't) work for you, please feel free to comment on this thread.

203 answers to this question

CPU = Inter Core i7-3630QM CPU 2.40 (8 cores)

GPU = Nvidia Geforce GT 635M (Constantly updated)

Never had issues with warframe till 2/3 updates ago, now its cpu load extremely low and gpu load medium/high , which is to be expected considering the cpu load is low. All the while multithread is supported ;)

Also never said my framerate was low, I get 60 stable, just asked a question due to the fact that unparking cpu is great and all but the multithread option doesnt actually work.

Edited by Any_the_Baboon

Hey everyone,

It seems like a lot of people are starting to experience some performance issues with the game, and I thought I'd make a thread to address said performance issues as well as provide what seems to be a way to fix it (as well as improving your system's performance for games other than Warframe too).

The (possible) culprit, spoilered because it's a bit lengthy.

CPU Core Parking

In Windows 7 (and Windows 8) there's a built-in feature to the OS called CPU Parking; this feature is designed to balance the power load and decrease power consumption by your CPU by limiting core activity. For normal (non-gaming) use this has no effect on applications and performance, however for high-power computing as well as gaming (especially since more games are being designed for multicore machines) this is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot; in some cases it's tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot and then dipping said foot in a vat of infectious bacteria. This is because physical (and logical cores if hyperthreaded) are parked and unavailable for use by multithreaded applications designed to run across multiple cores, and forcing a multithreaded application designed to run on multiple cores to only run on a single physical core causes a multitude of performance issues due to how threads are scheduled as well as how the CPU handles all of the extra processing (it can make your CPU overheat!).

Warframe's multithreaded rendering option is specifically designed to drastically increase performance on multi-core machines, however if it's enabled and Warframe only has access to 1 physical (and/or logical) core due to the others being parked, then you will likely suffer some pretty severe performance issues (one user's PC was blue screening because the PC force shut down due to one of their cores overheating). To fix this, your cores need to be unparked.

Unparking your cores is easy, and it can solve a multitude of performance issues you might be having, there's a nifty how-to guide Here, or you can follow the guide on this thread.

How to Unpark your CPU Cores

1. Download the Unpark CPU Utility and unzip it somewhere (like your desktop)

2. Run the .exe file as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

3. Click "Check Status" and wait for it to complete (image below)

manage-core-parking-util-1.png

4. Click "Unpark All" after the check finishes if any status reads "Parked"

manage-core-parking-util-3.png

5. You're done!

5a. Make sure you have "Multithreaded Rendering" enabled in the launcher!

5aa. Enable Threaded Optimization/Multithreading in Nvidia/AMD GPU control panels!

Give Warframe a try afterwards to see if this helped improve your performance or solve performance issues you may have been having.

Multithreaded rendering will yield a MUCH better performance boost if your cores are unparked.

If this worked (or didn't) work for you, please feel free to comment on this thread.

this man is simple awesome:3 thx for the help

CPU = Inter Core i7-3630QM CPU 2.40 (8 cores)

GPU = Nvidia Geforce GT 635M (Constantly updated)

Never had issues with warframe till 2/3 updates ago, now its cpu load extremely low and gpu load medium/high , which is to be expected considering the cpu load is low. All the while multithread is supported ;)

Also never said my framerate was low, I get 60 stable, just asked a question due to the fact that unparking cpu is great and all but the multithread option doesnt actually work.

Sorry about the late reply, but your GPU is the bottleneck. My laptop has a GT 640M and it screams its head off when playing as well. Unparking the CPU would only really improve performance for those whose bottleneck is the CPU, like someone with an Intel i3 CPU.

I get 60 frames a second, can i use this method to increase that to 120? cause i feel like i'm locked at 60 for some reason and i want more just to show off.

Chances are your framerate is locked to 60 because you have V-Sync enabled.

If your monitor supports higher than 60Hz, feel free to turn VSync off. (If your monitor only supports up to 60Hz, framerates over 60 do absolutely nothing except for maybe cause screen tearing, it will also task your GPU more than needed to render the extra frames).

Unparking your CPU cores probably won't do anything for you since your PC is clearly having no trouble running the game.

My feedback on this trick.

Since U15, the game was unplayable. Since there is lots of new graphic content in this update, im not surprised. So firs thing first here my old 2008 rig:

Intel dual core E8400@3,6ghz (simple overclock with FSB uped a bit only)

AMD radeon 4850 pro 512mo

DDR2 4go ram

Win7 64bits 

So after the update, i got lots of Frame skip, freezing, infinite loading, black screen and heavy memory use.

I tried the DX10 trick in launcher (disable it) it was already disable, so i find this topic. 

Result: Solid 60 fps indoor without too heavy action. 45 fps average with lots of S#&$ on screen. Also V-sync ENABLE.

Leaving the game now killing WarframeX64.exe process 80% faster !

It fixed my issues with this update so far. Thx a lot. 

Update : U15 will be soon update to U15.2, maybe i'll get even more fps ;)

Anyway thx a lot for this topic !

Edited by Nulak

There is no solution for XP / 32bit win7?

Does requiments of the game changed after update?

Some players (like me) can't even run single mission after update.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/329024-my-warframe-crashes-when-i-go-on-any-missions-since-update-15-it-freezes-then-shuts-down-help-me-please/

shall we uninstal Warframe form older PCs???

I had 3/4 cores parked.

Now works well...actually my laptop started playing by itself and won't let me join him anymore.

He also spoke about a global connection and cyborgs from the future...he named Skynet or something like that.

Well, the game is really smooth now, should be fine. If he could just let me leave home...

Hey no more akward framerate drops when alt+tabbing back in to the game, TY senpai

This alone makes the whole thing worth it.

August? Why did it take me so long to find this? Why isn't this thread pinned?

EDIT: This has given me +15-20 FPS across the board. Now I can safely enable Local Reflections and still get an absolute minimum of 45 FPS on an iced-over Corpus ship. This is great... I still can't do so in the godawful Europa tileset though, but that one is beyond salvation.

Edited by Guest