Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Framerate Drops? High Cpu Loads? Cpu Overheating? This Might Fix It! (Cpu Core Unparking)

Letter13

Question

Hey everyone,

It seems like a lot of people are starting to experience some performance issues with the game, and I thought I'd make a thread to address said performance issues as well as provide what seems to be a way to fix it (as well as improving your system's performance for games other than Warframe too).

The (possible) culprit, spoilered because it's a bit lengthy.

CPU Core Parking

In Windows 7 (and Windows 8) there's a built-in feature to the OS called CPU Parking; this feature is designed to balance the power load and decrease power consumption by your CPU by limiting core activity. For normal (non-gaming) use this has no effect on applications and performance, however for high-power computing as well as gaming (especially since more games are being designed for multicore machines) this is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot; in some cases it's tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot and then dipping said foot in a vat of infectious bacteria. This is because physical (and logical cores if hyperthreaded) are parked and unavailable for use by multithreaded applications designed to run across multiple cores, and forcing a multithreaded application designed to run on multiple cores to only run on a single physical core causes a multitude of performance issues due to how threads are scheduled as well as how the CPU handles all of the extra processing (it can make your CPU overheat!).

Warframe's multithreaded rendering option is specifically designed to drastically increase performance on multi-core machines, however if it's enabled and Warframe only has access to 1 physical (and/or logical) core due to the others being parked, then you will likely suffer some pretty severe performance issues (one user's PC was blue screening because the PC force shut down due to one of their cores overheating). To fix this, your cores need to be unparked.

Unparking your cores is easy, and it can solve a multitude of performance issues you might be having, there's a nifty how-to guide Here, or you can follow the guide on this thread.

How to Unpark your CPU Cores

1. Download the Unpark CPU Utility and unzip it somewhere (like your desktop)

2. Run the .exe file as an administrator (right click > run as administrator)

3. Click "Check Status" and wait for it to complete (image below)

manage-core-parking-util-1.png

4. Click "Unpark All" after the check finishes if any status reads "Parked"

manage-core-parking-util-3.png

5. You're done!

5a. Make sure you have "Multithreaded Rendering" enabled in the launcher!

5aa. Enable Threaded Optimization/Multithreading in Nvidia/AMD GPU control panels!

Give Warframe a try afterwards to see if this helped improve your performance or solve performance issues you may have been having.

Multithreaded rendering will yield a MUCH better performance boost if your cores are unparked.

If this worked (or didn't) work for you, please feel free to comment on this thread.

203 answers to this question

Now running at 45-50 FPS steadily, with drops at 30 (my former regular framerate) up from 20. On my regular old laptop, too, since my gaming one is in for repairs! Thank you Letter13!

I just want to know how big the improvement was so how  much FPS did your game run before unparking?

You have to restart in order the program to take effect.
Also disable Directx 10 and 11 from the launched it'll raise the fps by 5-15.

And there's one little buddie that slows you and eat ur CPU/RAM it's rlvknlg (it's functioning like a keylogger,but it collects way more info and sends it to hek knows who ) If you see this process in ur Task Manager uninstall it immediately, it comes with few programs over the internet.

If my computer is a dual core would this be a bad idea / have no effect or be good ? 

How well would this work with the g3258. I'm playing at steady 50fps but can drop to 20s when in a room with people spamming abilties

I'd say give it a try, and let us know if it helps in any way! 

Actually did not work for me.....my system overheats than crashes......

Unparking your cores shouldn't cause your computer to overheat and crash. This may be due to some other problem (too much dust in the heatsink, low quality heatsink or a possible hardware problem). What sort of system are you using?

You have to restart in order the program to take effect.
Also disable Directx 10 and 11 from the launched it'll raise the fps by 5-15.

People shouldn't have DX10 and DX11 both enabled to begin with (if you can have DX11 enabled, there's no need for DX10 because DX11 can do everything 10 can do but better and more efficiently). Also, DX11 should technically be more efficient at rendering higher quality effects in the game than DX9.

And there's one little buddie that slows you and eat ur CPU/RAM it's rlvknlg (it's functioning like a keylogger,but it collects way more info and sends it to hek knows who ) If you see this process in ur Task Manager uninstall it immediately, it comes with few programs over the internet.

Actually bud, that's just spyware/malware. It's a trojan. Most Antivirus programs will actually flag and quarantine/delete it. And the only programs from the internet it's bundled with are probably riddled with viruses anyway so you shouldn't be installing them to begin with... so yeah.

1. People shouldn't have DX10 and DX11 both enabled to begin with (if you can have DX11 enabled, there's no need for DX10 because DX11 can do everything 10 can do but better and more efficiently). Also, DX11 should technically be more efficient at rendering higher quality effects in the game than DX9.

2. Actually bud, that's just spyware/malware. It's a trojan. Most Antivirus programs will actually flag and quarantine/delete it. And the only programs from the internet it's bundled with are probably riddled with viruses anyway so you shouldn't be installing them to begin with... so yeah.

1. Well both were enabled for me, for whatever reason I haven't touched the launched options never bothered clicking the buttons there lulz.

2. Well you know there's programs that you have to install in offline mode/disabling ur anti-virus so you can catch it still.

I've scanned with two and they didn't found it as a threat so I just left it until I found my CPU at 100% and this was using the resource for whatever reason, thus also caused me some i-net problems, changing my ports and i-net being unavailable for few minutes to hours.

Hi i have 7 cores and every second is parked

1:unparked

2:parked

3:unparked

4:parked

5:unparked

6:parked

7:unparked

should i still unpark all ??? or should i set the 4 first to unparked??

i dont know how the re-routing works out...

could i get a worse result if i unparked only the 1-4 or something not being in the correct order???

i already have 4 unparked ones (for unknown reasons) do the extra 3 help at all or are they uneccessary???

and does the ORDER in which i unpark them do anything ???

Reason why im asking: it runs smooth but i had to scale down resolution (from my native 1920 x 1080 to 1600x900) to get at 60 fps and be able to use phys x ...but at some phys X effects it dropps to 30 (very sharp) but will run generally very well again as soon as they spam less effects ...

i just want to get FPS a bit higher without sacrificing my resolution and im not sure if its the cores fault ( i already have 4 unparked)

P.S.i have a GTX 560 Ti and more than sufficient RAM

Edited by Severuslanskerr

should i still unpark all ??? or should i set the 4 first to unparked??

i dont know how the re-routing works out...

could i get a worse result if i unparked only the 1-4 or something not being in the correct order???

If you are an owner of a new multicore Intel CPU for example Intel core I7 and Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 OS, you already might notice that some of the cores in your resource monitor are marked as parked. This is a new feature of windows 7/2008 operating system that is made to balance energy consumption by your CPU. So let’s say if you are performing some tasks that do not consume a lot of CPU power, all the cores that are parked will remain in that state. However, if you are running something that requires a lot of CPU power, all the cores, which were previously parked, will be placed in the active state (unparked) to perform the task. And after it’s done, they will be parked again.

It doesn't seem to work for everyone,for me it changed nothing. And as it's explained above if it needs more CPU power they'll be unparked automatically.

Thank you very much for posting this. Apparently 3 out of my CPU's 2 cores were parked (no, that's not a typo, I don't understand it myself). I went from 14-18 fps in the Liset and 6-22 fps in actual gameplay to 30 fps solid all around.

Not only that this managed to fix a lot of other problems my computer had, that I knew was correctly attributed to my processor but thought it simply needed an upgrade. I can now set my video card to display at 1080p without lag and play YouTube videos at 1080p without lag (still can't do 720p/1080p @ 60 fps, but I think that's my GPU's fault).

I haven't checked yet but chances are a few games I was unable to play before are now within reach. Maybe I'll finally feel my money wasn't wasted on such games, or I won't be stuck waiting for optimizations for lower end CPUs like mine.

Thank you once again Letter13, if it had been anyone besides a Warframe forum mod that suggested this it would have looked suspicious AF and I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole.

You are a credit to the community.

-Stratego89

Worked great found out both of my cores were parked, now I run the game at the higher graphics settings with a 30-40 FPS but all runs smooth no lag type freezes.

Side note did the same for my wife's PC and all three of her cores were parked, made a huge difference on hers as well.

Thanks, it worked for me. I saw some noticeable performance improvement in this game.

I had to switch to DX9, from DX10 & DX11 + 64 bit (with patch 15) because of slow performance issues with loading times and low FPS. Now I switched it back to DX10 & DX11 with 64bit enabled and it works much better with this fix the FPS hit isn't that much when loading into a zone and I can turn the graphics way up.

Thanks again! ;)

""To those who find this (it ranks very high in google search) please understand that there *are* downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and that it does not improve the over all performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because of the latter it could potentially shorten the life of your CPU... though by how much is unknown.

Additionally the supposed benefit of improved performance is highly misleading. If your computer and the software on it are working correctly your CPU cores will unpark on their own whenever there is a demand for more processing power. Unparking your CPU cores forcefully will not make your CPU perform better than it would if it unparked on it's own.

The reason unparking utilities exist is in the rare cases when a program requiring high CPU performance none-the-less behaves in a manner that keeps the CPU from unparking on it's own. Then it becomes necessary to forcefully unpark your cores to make the full processing capability of your CPU available. Some older games (predating multi-core CPUs) have this problem while newer games, as a rule, do not.

•  

Posted by Jeremy Armstrong at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2090450/unpark-cpu-cores-win.html

Not that it would be dangerous since nobody posted that his computer CPU burned down, but still nobody here mentioned the higher power usage (logical) and as result higher temperatures (what should not be a problem for Computer with more than one fan and decent CPU cooling).

Edited by oNbody

Soooo, I got a new laptop.

A windows 8.1, but whenever I unpark my cores.

Windows 8.1 parks them again?

There should be a setting within your power plan settings to disable or enable core parking. Make sure it's disabled before running the utility.

You should be able to see which cores are parked under the resource monitor.

3.4GHz dual core 32-bit. The little processor that could. And now does. Thanks to this advice, I went from 15fps to 55. This needs to be plastered as a sticky in every single sub forum.

That's actually a shocking increase in performance. Also, most dual-core CPUs should be 64-bit capable. I'd highly suggest getting a 64-bit OS and running the game in 64-bit mode if possible.