Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Totalbiscuit Quit Warframe Over The U14 Ui.

LoopStricken

So I'm watching TotalBiscuit's DOTA2/hearthstone stream right now and someone in the chat asked him if he's revisited Warframe. He said he did, but when he saw the new UI he was so confused he quit.

He said it was snazzy but too complicated.

Make of that what you will.

to be honest i like totalbiscuit too and asked him thousends time to give wf a reamp cause it changed so much but his last review is back in u8/9 so comes back u14 give it a try of 5min yea what he expects

sorry but he gets more and more critical without enjoyed the game just watching for problems and get back to hearthstone ...

You people need to stop being complete asses to each other.

On topic: if people knew of TB's Warframe review they would know that everything, yes everything, that he suggested has actually made it into the game. Hell, DE gave him a few thousand plat just to get him started. His reviews are fair and to the point and he has the ability to bring a fair amount of attention to a growing game.

http://youtu.be/MjTq4dTxh1w

To quote it up quick

No. I am right.

And i honestly dont give a f*** if some 12 year old kids are going to use motion sickness from something as simple as the hud sway to try and benefit their argument.

But hey if i am wrong i apologize to all you who get motion sickness. It must suck not being able to even watch a youtube video since they cause a more intense situation where motion sickness could be in play.

Alright, I'm done. If you're gonna refuse to accept facts when they're presented to you, you're a special case of stupid, one that no matter what I say, you won't change your mind.

Tl;dr you're ignoring facts because you have never seen motion sickness caused by video games in person.

Oh hey, btw. In the old UI DE made an option to turn off hud sway because it helped people who had motion sickness not get it when playing.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

Alright, I'm done. If you're gonna refuse to accept facts when they're presented to you, you're a special case of stupid, one that no matter what I say, you won't change your mind.

Tl;dr you're ignoring facts because you have never seen motion sickness caused by video games in person.

Oh hey, btw. In the old UI DE made an option to turn off hud sway because it helped people who had motion sickness not get it when playing.

You have still yet to provide facts that can strongly support your claim of all these people getting motion sickness. Not to mention that you completely ignore how low the intensity of the new ui is compared to other parts of the game. If you really are getting motion sickness from the ui then you should be experiencing similar feelings from regular gameplay which none of you seem to get

So yes i am going to continue to disagree with you but it is not because i'm "ignoring the facts", which seem to only be definitions of the word motion sickness, but because you have failed logic behind your claim. It's like saying you get seasick on boat a, but on boat b that is a lot rougher on the waters you are completely fine.

and he is a highly regarded reviewer of games across all genres.

by who?

he's popular, not objective or correct about much of anything. graphics nut, and nothing more.

not looking to start that kind of argument, which there is little to any of one anyways, from what he has to say about most software, Resolution and Polygon count is all that's important to him.

it's like asking pewdiepie for accurate objective feedback on your game. just... don't bother.

legitimate feedback and concerns about the UI aside, using this name as a forerunning justification of an argument can only backfire.

You have still yet to provide facts that can strongly support your claim of all these people getting motion sickness. Not to mention that you completely ignore how low the intensity of the new ui is compared to other parts of the game. If you really are getting motion sickness from the ui then you should be experiencing similar feelings from regular gameplay which none of you seem to get

So yes i am going to continue to disagree with you but it is not because i'm "ignoring the facts", which seem to only be definitions of the word motion sickness, but because you have failed logic behind your claim. It's like saying you get seasick on boat a, but on boat b that is a lot rougher on the waters you are completely fine.

Simulation sickness is a thing. It doesn't happen in-game because all the screen elements are moving with the action, but since the menus sway independently of the background it can make some people nauseous. It's not common though.

Simulation sickness isn't a good argument for massive changes/reversion, however, because they've already said they're working on stationary menus.

Did'nt know him since this post , and not even sure if it even matter

anyway i just searched quickly his name in google , found his Youtube channel kinda sad , 150 k view in one his video and 0 comment (and comment is not even closed)

He has comments set to approval and ignores the list because of problems with YouTube months ago. So now he just tells people to go to his sub-reddit rather than bother with the hassle of YouTube if they wish to discuss things.

edit: spelling

Edited by KentReeves

I literally linked you 2 things explaining, and this is what you're complaining about? Holy F***. I don't remember offhand, but it's something like 1 in 10 IIRC.

And this is not like your boat analogy. This is a completely different situation than that. Again, for like the tenth time, what your ignoring is as follows:

"Motion sickness caused when both systems [felt and seen] detect motion but they do not correspond.", such as the UI sway.

If you get sea sick in a boat, no matter how rough the waters are, you'll always get sea sickness. Rougher waters do not make you better.

Sim sickness however, is when movement does not line up with your input, FOR EXAMPLE: when you move your character, that's input you're causing, so it makes sense, and it lines up with what your senses expect. However, when the UI sways, that's input that doesn't line up with your senses.

(Note, I'm sure there's a better way to explain how it's caused, but that's it in a nutshell)

Sim Sickness is not caused by intensity, it has nothing to do with it. Stop ignoring the facts, stop claiming that something proven by medical science to exist (go google it, don't ask me for every single study). Just because you refuse to understand how something works does not mean you can ignore how it works and claim you're right about what you think it is.

Oh, and sim sickness isn't the only reason the UI needs to be changed (again). It's horribly inefficient is the primary one, because a good UI is fast, simple, and minimal. (Some of that is kinda the same thing. Fast means no unnecessarily long/annoying load animations, simple means easy to use, and minimal means fewest amount of clicks to complete a task (i.e. fusing a mod. IMO, it has simple down, it's easy to understand if you take a little time to learn where things are).

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

Million dollar question: How long did he stay to try to figure it out?

Why couldn't he have just asked people? It's not like the UI was turned 180 degrees or flipped upside-down.

Also, general discussion.

P.P.S. I've seen his reviews, and he seems to have a lot more patience. Why would he just up and leave because he couldn't take more than five seconds to learn the mechanics or even try to ask or look on the forums/wiki?

I say he should try to give it a second shot and at least TRY to adjust instead of quitting because he couldn't be assed to play with the ship UI.

I'm sorry, but if you think the new UI is complicated you are either kinda dumb or didn't even try to learn it. So I guess Totalbiscuit is either kinda dumb or didn't try to learn it.

Total Biscuit has a standard practice of dedicating at least three hours to a game before deciding to review it, and then playing for longer if he does decide to in order to evaluate game progression balance as well as upgrade game wise to video worthy game content. 

More often than not his opinion of the game is based on what the mechanics are, whether they are sound, and if the gameplay itself can match up to the definition of 'good' as in the mechanics mesh well together, the game is balanced, teaches the player well and rewards well for progression, therefor making the game 'fun'.

UI is an important part of that equation and flippning it sideways the way DE did will always cause problems. A UI that doesn't take the User into account isn't really worth using without good gameplay behind it, which unfortunately is also slipping away. If a player needs to ask about the UI, the generally something is wrong.

Even though I doubt the u14 UI was the sole reason he quit.

That being said, the old and new UI are indeed stupidly different.

The old UI took little to no time to learn because most everything was laid out before you

The new UI is friggin taught to you through a tutorial quest -outside of the main menu- however inside the main menu everything is literally listed for you.

The old UI's planet-node maps gave the players an idea of where to go next.

The new UI's ring-type planet-node maps completely destroy that sense, which is why it isnt really fun to unlock new places.

The old UI showed players their mods rather clearly and made it easy to pass between the mods and arsenal.

The new UI doesnt do this at all.

The old UI foundry listed components to the side

The new UI doesn't

NEITHER UI HAS ADDED CATEGORIES TO THE MELEE WEAPONS IN THE MARKET,STILL THE -MOST- FATAL FLAW.

All that being said now,

TB is a -smart- person who plays video games and recognizes what makes them good. He's covered warframe already once so really doesn't have a need to come back to it just for an update, and especially not one that isn't well... good.

And DE doesn't love us, only their poster-child console crowd, so the chances of seeing fixes or more actual ui improvements are slim and none.

Edited by Seaberry

Whoa. There's a lot of self-important nonsense in this thread.

Simulation sickness is a thing. There are some pretty sciency concepts involved, so I suppose I can't really blame the average internet citizen for just naming body parts and saying it doesn't exist because they can't see it.

DE has been called out for prioritizing Console users over PC before. The Darkness 2 and its notorious FOV is a good example. I could have believed that 2k was calling the shots that time, but now it's happened again with Warframe. I'd be interested in Sheldon's thoughts on the matter, because he might be able to clear up a lot of this fog.

I don't blame TB for walking away from Warframe. Compared to most of us, his brain just doesn't handle video games very well. There's a touch of irony in being a luminary game pundit who suffers from his particular deficiencies of body, when you think about it.

So I'm watching TotalBiscuit's DOTA2/hearthstone stream right now and someone in the chat asked him if he's revisited Warframe. He said he did, but when he saw the new UI he was so confused he quit.

He said it was snazzy but too complicated.

Make of that what you will.

One of the most irritating, grating YouTube "personalities" quit Warframe?

Good.

by who?

he's popular, not objective or correct about much of anything. graphics nut, and nothing more.

not looking to start that kind of argument, which there is little to any of one anyways, from what he has to say about most software, Resolution and Polygon count is all that's important to him.

That is why he praised Last Federation, Shovel Knight, AI War: Fleet Command...

The UI is not complicated. It's clunky and cluttered. Non-functional in design. Its' a mess. It also brings up a good point: how many new players do actually endure the UI long enough to even find out what is behind the maze? Veterans already know what you should be able to dig up underneath it all but will the new players even bother?