The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[U15 Megathread] Archwing/syndicates/limbo (It's Here Edition)

Letter13

I don't like it, but I am not vehemently against it. I just hope they offer an alt helmet without it for those of us who would rather not have the hat.

I doubt they would, not to mention they said all his alts will have a different hat soo tough luck with that. I guess you could hope for one with a smaller hat perhaps.

Edited by Bestfly

Holy... This comes as a massive surprise to me.

This means a player no longer has to leave for a single part. Why not stay and get a truckload?

This is very good for those moments where a pug leaves to grab a reward at the last possible second, leaving your squad with one less player to assist them.

Hall of Mirrored in the Megathread.

So, do you mean "I think my experience would be improved if the new warframe was named after a monster from Greek mythology"?  Not knowing anything about the frame I think a name like that would be way cooler too, but just picking a name out of a myth doesn't make the experience any more deep.

I agree that they should always give frames the coolest possible sounding names.  Limbo clearly has too many camp connotations.

Of course I don't ... names or labels change nothing but context does

What I am getting at is the degree to which character development based upon:

1. Gameplay mechanics - which is vital no brainer to a video game and may be enough to pull off an entire show

2. Visual aesthetics - which is also critically important to gaming but holds attention only for so long

3. Story line and lore continuity - which is essential to RPGs but not so for pure (or nearly so) FPS/TPS

Ideally you have all three but Warframe has been shaky at best with regards to the third criterion

Harsher critics have asserted that DE consistently fails to make a story or has completely ignored it - a position which I have consistently argued against

Nevertheless, the point is that to make a really good character, every element deserves proper attention

As the VoidFrame, this character is ESSENTIAL to the Warframe story ... so much to learn from this character

Even just from playing it - despite the repeated objections made in other threads that one should not expect linkage between game mechanics and Lore

From what little we know so far (mainly from Devstream 37), the special abilities make this character unique and demonstrate that DE put a lot of thought into what the VoidFrame was all about

However, the appearance of the character poses a grave lore discontinuity ... it just doesn't fit

It doesn't match the appearance of other warframes

It doesn't match the thematic origin of the warframes (taken from ancient myth and legend)

It doesn't match the futuristic feel of the game or its time period

It leaves me (at least) that DE just can't stick with a single project for too very long before they begin to loose interest in it and opt to rush it out just to get it off their development line ...

However, the appearance of the character poses a grave lore discontinuity ... it just doesn't fit

It doesn't match the thematic origin of the warframes (taken from ancient myth and legend)

This argument has been made for literally every 'frame since and including Nekros.

Guess what: Warframe still hasn't lost its identity.

Edited by fishworshipper

This argument has been made for literally every 'frame since and including Nekros.

Guess what: Warframe still hasn't lost its identity.

Wait.. you call that a argument?!?

That word sure lost it's sense..

Edited by Alphafox

Wait.. you can that a argument?!? 

That word sure lost it's sense.. 

ar·gu·ment
ˈärɡyəmənt/
noun

1. 1.
    an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
    "I've had an argument with my father"
  2. 2.
    a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
    "there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
    synonyms: reasoningjustificationexplanation, rationalization; More

(edited) ...

Basically people are saying they don't like him because they think that he might have been named on the spot? 

To which I reply: Who cares what he's named as long as it's fitting?

No.  It has nothing to do with spontaneity ... spontaneity is the mother of inspiration

What this is all about is putting good effort into making a really good product

Remember what Michelangelo told Julius II over and over again?  "Qunado e fatto!" ("When it is done")

It is obvious that DE spent a great deal of time thinking about this character with regards to his abilities

What is not at all obvious is whether they considered how he fit into the rest of the Warframe universe

In any other game the look, the name, the glitz could work just fine

In Warframe, he sticks out like a sore thumb

The name is just the coup de grace of poor story telling

No.  It has nothing to do with spontaneity ... spontaneity is the mother of inspiration

Remember what Michelangelo told Julius II over and over again?  "Qunado e fatto!" ("When it is done")

It is obvious that DE spent a great deal of time thinking about this character with regards to his abilities

What is not at all obvious is whether they considered how he fit into the rest of the Warframe universe

Mirage, Ember, Hydroid, Nekros.

1lim·bo  noun \ˈlim-(ˌ)bō\
plural limbos

Definition of LIMBO
often capitalized :  an abode of souls that are according to Roman Catholic theology barred from heaven because of not having received Christian baptism
a :  a place or state of restraint or confinement

b :  a place or state of neglect or oblivion <proposals kept inlimbo>

c :  an intermediate or transitional place or state

d :  a state of uncertainty

(Sorry for the black text, forums refuse to read my "Paste as plain text" properly)

Edited by fishworshipper

Of course I don't ... names or labels change nothing but context does

What I am getting at is the degree to which character development based upon:

1. Gameplay mechanics - which is vital no brainer to a video game and may be enough to pull off an entire show

2. Visual aesthetics - which is also critically important to gaming but holds attention only for so long

3. Story line and lore continuity - which is essential to RPGs but not so for pure (or nearly so) FPS/TPS

Ideally you have all three but Warframe has been shaky at best with regards to the third criterion

Harsher critics have asserted that DE consistently fails to make a story or has completely ignored it - a position which I have consistently argued against

Nevertheless, the point is that to make a really good character, every element deserves proper attention

As the VoidFrame, this character is ESSENTIAL to the Warframe story ... so much to learn from this character

Even just from playing it - despite the repeated objections made in other threads that one should not expect linkage between game mechanics and Lore

From what little we know so far (mainly from Devstream 37), the special abilities make this character unique and demonstrate that DE put a lot of thought into what the VoidFrame was all about

It leaves me (at least) that DE just can't stick with a single project for too very long before they begin to loose interest in it and opt to rush it out just to get it off their development line ...

so im guessing Mag/Rhino/Nova/Frost/Ember/Ash/Nekros/Saryn/and Volt all dont have thematic origin either, they are neither myth nor legend. and Oberon looks nothing close to futuristic, Zephyr aswell.

Warframe dosnt have a Set "style" all the frames are diverse and different. some look like they are wearing armor made out of Kevlar, plate, even feathers , others look like they are wearing plugsuits, some look like they have fabric like wool or leather, while others look like they have Storm Trooper plastic on. hek one or two look like they are wearing flesh. there is absolutely 0 lore that says Limbo cant look the way he looks, there is no set rule that says he needs to look like something else. period. 

gotta love the dislike. it amuses me how people will continue to complain that the next big thing is not ninja enough or warror-like.

yes, that was prolly the original plan for this game, but we all can agree that DE, at one point or another, said "we need to expand" and so they did. 

do note that when DE said "space ninjas," it is not to be taken literally, it is merely an analogy to best describe the nature of the Tenno themselves. perhaps the first batch of frames actually were akin to space ninjas/warriors but in their own original way. however the only one that posseses ninja-like qualities is Ash, if we want to be real here. but still, every warframe before U7 somewhat conformed to a specific aesthetic system. the diversity then started after they came up with Vauban and Saryn in U7. the designs were neat but erratic compared to their predecessors. the ninja-less quality of the game should have been noticed there as Vauban is essentially an engineer and Saryn a fashionable woman.

the diversity stops moving and gets a bit more in touch with Scifi aspects with the release of Nova. and then it trails off again with the release of the erratic shaman-themed Nekros. that is clearly a non-ninja/warrior. but no complaints, right? and then there's Valkyr and Oberon which are still non-ninja. even if we did see Valk's original form, do you really want to bet that she'd seem ninja-like at the very least? warrior nonetheless, but ninja? i dont think so.

and at U12-13, we are provided with Zephyr and Hydroid. for those who believe strongly in the outdated "ninjas play free" slogan, this should have been a huge middle finger. Zephyr is in no possible way aesthetically a ninja nor a warrior. she clearly represents avian animals, which does not entail combat. and Hydroid, though a warrior, is essentially  pirate. at this point, if you believe in the space ninjas way of thinking, then you have been wasting your time. and now we are nearing the end of U14, where the harlequin/jester Mirage has entered the stage, yet another reminder that the closed beta days of Warframe are long dead. by this point, you should have accepted the new slogan "suit to kill."

however even so, people would still complain about Limbo's look and question DE's choice of design. at this point, it should be realized that DE is branching out and taking various concepts of our reality and applying them into the game. technically they've been doing so since U7.

but if that is not enough for you to understand why these new frames are even a thing in this kind of game. lets step back from the actual game and look into the lore of the game, the lore of the Tenno and their frames. from the void, the Orokin made the Tenno into what they are. it is that technology by which they forged warframes. now lets look at the aesthetic side of it. technically even the closed beta frames look aesthetically strange for "warriors" tasked to defeating the greatest enemy that humanity has ever faced, the Sentients. in that sense, why is there even a visual finesse to even Excalibur, he first of them all? there is no given reason why each warframe has their specific appearance.

and now we look into what it means to be a warrior. a warrior, often times, represents something, someone, or a faction. you can often tell what they represent based on looking at them, its how you can distinguish Ancient Roman armor of a given era to Renaissance armor. and more specifically, armor is often adorned with aesthetics based on tradition and representation. but more importantly: tradition. the Warframes appear as they do because of tradition. the tradition of the civilization they are based on provided various visual aesthetics. there is no real reason why all the warframes cant just look like variants of the first batch. its tradition and  envisioning. clearly, the Orokin had a taste in the arts and wished to apply them to the warframes.

and even if you cant look upon a harlequin or a shaman as a warrior, you must think back to the fact that it is merely an aesthetic representation. the abilities are also part of the representation. the aesthetic does not contribute to the usage of the frame, the theme does. and the Orokin clearly had a vast library of content that they could base off on. its basically saying that even as big a threat that the Sentients were, the Orokin had the solution, and the Orokin did not want to provide a solution based on efficiency and precision, they wanted to provide that solution based on visuals and appeal. thats what warframe has become. it is no longer a narrow stream of efficient warframes with various warrior-like uses. warframe is about the arts and the representation of various qualities of life and history and how life and history can be applied to the battlefield. 

TL;DR, warframe is about the arts and the representation of various qualities of life and history and how life and history can be applied to the battlefield.