Archwing Concepts

So with the announcement of the Archwing and U15...as well as wyrmius XD, a whole bunch of ideas started popping in my head.

With 3D combat, meaning instead of just 2 plains of attack now you add Z axis attacks that can come literally from any direction, there are tons of possibilities for different types of arch wings. So far with no information on how these will work concerning abilities and other warframe powers I'd like to see customizable Archwings that can be tailored towards mission specifics.

For example a Defensive type that has deployable fin funnels, Gundam reference :P, these fin funnels are autonomous and can either be used for offensive capabilities firing laser weaponry or interlinking and forming a barrier.

Since sword play was also showcased why not customize your Archwing to sacrifice defense in order to go all offensive and dual wield these blades. also Id like to see homing missile pods as well as missile counter measures added like a chaff and flare. All of these can be mapped to the ability keys making it an easy transition to consoles as well. Plus having it customizable allows for greater diversity in gameplay, adding a ton special Archwing Abilities while still keeping it limited to the 4 ability slot template.

That being said Ultimates is definitely something I'd like to see done with Archwings. Using the system previously stated where you can have either a Melee based or Ranged based ultimate. I feel there 3-4 options available for Ultimates for Archwings.

1st Melee Single/Dual/Quad Sword Ultimate: Tsurugi Odori "Sword Dance." The frame and weapons are supercharged for X time ability has X radius all targets within radius are targeted and the Archwing automatically executes each target flying toward each one.

2nd Long distance (sniper) Ultimate, Beam Cannon. The rifle is overchared and a UI for Aiming while rifle charges comes up, (2 options for camera A. Directly behind the tenno, or B. FoV is brought into right over the shoulder.) Upon completed charging the rifle fires a large single beam for X damage and X distance destroying targets along its path.

3rd Short Distance (assault rifle) Ultimate: Rolling Fire. Same as 2nd option in execution only instead of firing a single beam. Think UI that's a portion of a sphere projected in front of the Archwing and anything in that FoV is targeted and the Rifle shoots Multi beams, Or the wings themselves shoot multi beams that then track to each target. OR if using the Hecatonchires system(see below) all arms fire a barrage in a omnidirectional pattern and each shot explodes so basically a sphere of explosions. The archwing rotates in several directions and the arms move independently while they fire.

4th A defensive Ultimate, Phalanx. Rather than having a Dmg output only I think a Utility ultimate would be useful. Using the Fin Funnels you can have either a large Defensive sphere or a wall type barrier. It Lasts X seconds and can be increased by X%. All enemies that run into this however take DoT (Damage over time) wont be as significant but still useful.

Addon options. Fin funnels, extra arms, extra wings there are tons of options for this.

1. Caelestis Autonomous System: deployable "companions" that can either atk/def based on the mods they are given. Allows for the Phalanx Ultimate.

2. Extra arms Hecatonchires System allows for equipping multiple weapons. basically this allow for the alternate Ultimates i.e. the dual/quad sword Ultimate Tsurugi Odori and the Rolling Fire Ultimate.

3. Extra Wings, Angelus System allows for greater speed and maneuverability. Would be interesting to see an ultimate that when activated using this system auto dodged all incoming fire for X% Energy Consupmtion. The trade off is you cant attack while active.

If anyone else has some more idea feel free to post them below. Cant wait to start fighting in space. See ya out there.

My biggest issue is that their aesthetics don't feel warframey. It's like two buses being pulled by a smart car, feels weird. Although if the gamemode is integrated well I'd have no problem playing it. Like the Kubrow system it needs some depth, so to some degree I agree OP :)

i think the archwings themselves will only be involved in specific events, it's own gamemode, invasions, and dynamic events.

good ideas though! they sound interesting

What about us fighting a revamped raptor with them

My biggest issue is that their aesthetics don't feel warframey. It's like two buses being pulled by a smart car, feels weird. Although if the gamemode is integrated well I'd have no problem playing it. Like the Kubrow system it needs some depth, so to some degree I agree OP :)

I'd rather have my tenno flying an Archwing than piloting a space fighter. 

I'd rather have my tenno flying an Archwing than piloting a space fighter. 

That is not what I was suggesting, I mean that the wings look flimsy, they seem to be attached by twigs and the overall design seems rather Ok and not WOW :/

that would be epic!

Which would be a more epic revamp for raptor

a) A flying mech(think gundam)

b) A huge helicopter like machine that can transform into a jet. The helicopter mode could be armed to the teeth with Gatling guns and missile launchers forcing us to take cover behind columns while trying to get close to it(adds a stealth element to the fight). When we do enough damage it turns into its jet mode forcing us to equip the archwings and fly after it

I don't know why I would rather have them be like the Infinite Stratos style wings with each one a different style maybe even armor rating.

Wait.....maybe borrow a bit of Zoids like having a Panzer, Jager and Schneider types Pnazer(tanks) Jager(High Mobility) Schneider(High damage)

Wait.....maybe borrow a bit of Zoids like having a Panzer, Jager and Schneider types Pnazer(tanks) Jager(High Mobility) Schneider(High damage)

I LOVED that show when I was growing up. Gunsniper is my favorite.

Anyways, isn't it a bit too early to be doing Archwing concepts? It's only been like... 5 hours or so.

I don't know why I would rather have them be like the Infinite Stratos style wings with each one a different style maybe even armor rating.

My thoughts exactly Ifinite Stratos is a great example of the type of armor that would intigrate well into warframe.

Thinking on it longer as well specific maps rather than specific modes should use these. Yes there can be certain Mode specific ones but i feel like having their own designated area would be fine.

Another great way t integrate these into every map is an In Game Alert pop up. For instance you are doing a Conflict node. say at the end there is X% that reinforcements might show up. Which initiates Zero G Battle Mode. This also has great Map design potential in that asteroid fields and things like Saturns belts would be great.

In that regard that also brings up the option of Stealth based missions and an archwing that is stealth oriented. Say its something Like Reach Point A with Zero Detections for X Credits, Extract for credits OR keep going to higher risk areas for X credits and X Resources.

The cool thing about stealth in this is that, "In space, no one can hear you scream" its all visual or electronics based. So things like an Jammer type Archwing to block all communications for enemies would also work. Either by Making the AW the center of the jamming field or it shoots jammers at X distance with X radius for jamming. Also Shock damage can relate to EMP based attack disabling ships adding for another stealth element.

Some Boss Fights like the Raptor can be redone with this, what I want to see now is Tenno eradicating Infested ships and a new type of flying infested for space. a Land mine based enemy or one that is a AA type shooting large volumes of tendrills or like phorid homing missiles that either can be shot down or let the Archwing Hectonchires system Shoot them down for you.

xD

Im working on some concept sketches and MAYBE Lowpoly 3D models for ideas, I'll try to post when I can. Anyone else out there feel free to post some ideas. Would love to see what the community comes up with.

Anyways, isn't it a bit too early to be doing Archwing concepts? It's only been like... 5 hours or so.

Zoids was great with al the interchangable oarts for different mission types. And it's NEVER TOO EARLY. In fact the earlier the better. Why wait to make content for it and only release a bare bones version where the playerbase will get bored with it when we can start concepting ideas now and hopefully get more than ONE mission type implemented in on release.

if im going to be flying through space with a giant sword, then i demand channeling effects equal to, or hopefully just, TRANS-AM

Trans_am_buster_rifle.png

Liver Zero base was mine it just was so cool and flexible in what it was able to do.

Also wouldn't mind going Trans AM for a moment while in battle. Maybe some hardlight type wing like Valvrave would be sweet.

Edited by Zero.No.Hikari

Which would be a more epic revamp for raptor

a) A flying mech(think gundam)

b) A huge helicopter like machine that can transform into a jet. The helicopter mode could be armed to the teeth with Gatling guns and missile launchers forcing us to take cover behind columns while trying to get close to it(adds a stealth element to the fight). When we do enough damage it turns into its jet mode forcing us to equip the archwings and fly after it

I don't see the Corpus using mechs (big lumbering machines are more the Grineer's thing), so B for sure.

DE should allow us to explore wreckage of blown up ships, meaning that we can collect rare mods and resources from them, allow us to fly around our Liset, and allowing us to fight in space against Fighters or somethings

an explore mode would be amazing things like the Breeding ground tileset where part of the ship is ripped open and we can dive in there. It could work if DE limits the amount of tiles per discoverable instace allowing for more than just one instance of wreckage in an area, so say you scavenge the site of a corpus vs grineer battle. A cool mission would be to retrieve the intel before either party shows up and with out being discovered by patrols that are also searching for it. If the timer runs out reinforcements arrive and now you have to contend with harder enemies and more of them. A secondary timer thats not seen should also be initiated once reinforcements arrive. This one will be Random amount of time before and enemy operative will find the Intel and make for the nearby planetoid/asteroid/Ship that's HEAVILY defended either take out the carrier before he arrives stealthily not alerting the other armed forces to your presence. Or go balls to the wall and try and take on the additional reinforcements and brake into the ship where he is being defended. A 3rd timer will initiate once he is aboard the ship however. meaning that if you cant sabotage the ship OR get the intel from him it will be mission fail and the ship will speed out of the area.

In a nutshell,

Phase 1: Search for intel and extract before reinforcements for either side show up.

(XX:XX Time Limit)

Phase 2: Find the intel before the reinforcements do.

Phase 3A: (If intel found by player head to extraction)

Phase 3B: (If time limit exceeded) Retrieve intel from the carrier

Phase 4A: (If carrier killed via stealth) Head to extraction

Phase 4B: (If player was Noticed killing carrier) Leave none alive to warn the Main ship then head to extraction.

(Time limit exceeded)

Phase 5A: Sneak aboard the Grineer galleon or Corpus ship

----Either Sabotage the engines or Kill the carrier and exit the ship engines from within unoticed. Archwing will disengage and attach itself to the hull and normal gameplay will follow. There will be a Target A and Target B marked. A is the carrier and B is the sabotage element. Objective A can be completed without Objective B. (XX:XX Time Limit)

If objective B is successful +(XX:XX Time Limit) is extended. A new tile set that utilizes ship crawl spaces for full cover and hidden paths in addition to large rooms with several higher or lower pathways than normal foot traffic will allow for an expanded style of stealth gameplay. Also A stealth Fall attack would be easy, a grab from a lower position would be more difficult. A fall attack code could be done by utilizing Character/NPC positions so that {If character height>NPC height relative to global position = Fall attack. So if a player aims at an enemy while above him the stealth kill prompt will initiate and once falling use a fall stealth animation.

Phase 5B: Destroy the ship defenses and the engines via the archwing attack on all external targets. This option is more difficult depending on if the AWS (ArchWing System) I mention in the OP is used or not meaning that gameplay will be dependant on how players equip themselves for a mission rather than just an all inclusive 1 thing fits all type scenario. once the defenses are cleared find a vulnerable entrance (most likely the shuttle bay, think corpus ice world tile set where ships come in, or star wars) normal gameplay follows as AW is on standby for departure outside the ship. Get to the carrier and retrieve intel. Blast through an "extraction" door and extract via Archwing.

Phase 6A: If either Phase 5A or 5B are completed Mission Complete

Phase 6B: If time limit Exceeded in 5A or 5B Mission Failed

So tell me what you guys think of a mission like this?

Would this be something people want? or do you think its utter garbage?

If anyone has any other ideas I'd still like to hear them.

Edit:That was a big nutshell

Edited by s3kShUn08