Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Was De Hasty To Remove Arcane Helms?

AnakarXaris

I feel that the arcane helms are a great idea and while i understand why they removed them (cosmetic value > power value) i feel thet maybe they were too hasty with the decision to no longer offer them. I feel that arcane helms are valued more by long term players who see the value of not having to waste a mod slot on their favorite frame that they have forma six times. I think that maybe they should offer them as rare bps in places like the void or on in alerts where they can be farmed by those who do want them (before we start yelling about the drop tables don't start this is purely speculation). How many of us would actually liek to see the arcane comeback even if it is a much rarer item to get? 

Edit: I did not know it had been discussed since U7 when posted

Edited by AnakarXaris

Why are there suddenly a bunch of arcane helmet threads popping up?

No, they were not hasty. Arcane helmets should not come back. Cosmetics should stay cosmetic.

i did say that that they could offer both not go back to the old system of only arcanes.

i did say that that they could offer both not go back to the old system of only arcanes.

We already have a system where both are available.

Arcane helmets were a bad idea. They should have been removed and refunded instead of left around.

The perfect solution would have been to implement a mod system for helmets so we could choose the one we want for looks and the stats we want to go with it, that way everyone would be happy but now we have a limited bunch of arcane helmets floating around the solar system and new players can't get them unless they trade for them IF they are available at all. 

Edited by Orbister

We already have a system where both are available.

Arcane helmets were a bad idea. They should have been removed and refunded instead of left around.

how were they a bad idea? more info than just your opinion please i've been interested in why they really wanted them gone and why soo much hate over it.

how were they a bad idea? more info than just your opinion please i've been interested in why they really wanted them gone and why soo much hate over it.

The problem was people had to wear the helms to get an optimal build whether they liked them or not. The whole point of a cosmetic item is to change the aesthetic of your character, but since the cosmetics had stats you had to change your aesthetic whether you wanted to or not, or else be gimped. Or be gimped because their favorite helm had a negative stat.

Trust me, we went over this in full when they were removed. It was a good thing.

Edited by vaugahn

A million times, no. I am a cosmetics junkie, and having to pick between helmets I like and helmets with better stats was just painful. As you can likely tell from my icon, I love Zephyr, and I love being able to switch between her default and Cierzo helmets without any guilt about what it's doing to my build, and I'm glad they upgraded the older frames so that they can enjoy the same freedom.

That said, no helmets offered a strong enough buff to justify not using certain mods. At best, they pushed maximization just a little further.

They removed the stats because of all the requests in the forums.

I don't care too much, because i have all Arcane Helmets.

But it saddens me that now we are never getting cosmetics with stats again.

Edited by RexSol

Basically this: "I like this helm but X stat is bad for success." 

Cosmetics should be statless. Imagine this for example, "Coloring your warframe pink gives you 10% extra damage." Or "Immortal skins gives 1 extra revive point." Cosmetics should be all equal except for personal taste. 

The problem was people had to wear the helms to get an optimal build whether they liked them or not. The whole point of a cosmetic item is to change the aesthetic of your character, but since the cosmetics had stats you had to change your aesthetic whether you wanted to or not, or else be gimped. Or be gimped because their favorite helm had a negative stat.

Trust me, we went over this in full when they were removed. It was a good thing.

thank you for more information. I was not however around since U7 and only started roughly 1.2 years ago and as such wasn't into the maxing out a build (still am not) but i am getting a clearer picture

Why are there suddenly a bunch of arcane helmet threads popping up?

No, they were not hasty. Arcane helmets should not come back. Cosmetics should stay cosmetic.

A compromise then?

How about have the Arcane versions available for use/buying, but if a player wants to have the Helm just for looks, use the current conversion process and convert them to pure cosmetic.

Would be fair to those who want, and to those who do not want the stats.

A compromise then?

How about have the Arcane versions available for use/buying, but if a player wants to have the Helm just for looks, use the current conversion process and convert them to pure cosmetic.

I see what you did there...

Its kinda like you said yourself. The cosmetic values were conflicting with the values of stats. Players "had" no real choice in how they wanted to look. Min-maxing stats is way more important. It was a simple calculation. Get the helmet with the best stats and look stupid (in most cases).

I do have every arcane helmet but I still wish they got removed from the game instead. Now its still a calculation like before for me.

In the end DE decided to keep the helmets since they had a value in the store and players have been paying money for them.

A compromise then?

essentially what i was saying but it seems everyone got hung up on my ignorance of the long standing discussion of why they went poof. Also i find alot of ppl dont care what their frame looks like if they can beast out with max settings.

ah i did not know it had been discussed for that long. but was the over all reason besides the overwhelming dislike or was it simply that?

The decrease is stats (or increase in stats for that matter) was small. The Thrak Rhino helm gave Rhino an extra 25 hp and -5% speed. The Gambit Vauban helm gave +10 stam but with a decrease of 10% duration. 

So it basically came down to the fact that it was such a small benefit in the end it did not really matter so why not remove the stats. Plus the fact most of the time the + stat was useless and the - stat was useful. 

Edited by Sni7ch

A compromise then?

Actually, that's not fair because players who place importance on cosmetics get lower stats than ratchet players.

essentially what i was saying but it seems everyone got hung up on my ignorance of the long standing discussion of why they went poof. Also i find alot of ppl dont care what their frame looks like if they can beast out with max settings.

Speak for yourself. I would never play a frame I didn't like the looks of no matter how strong it was. And that compromise AlphaHorseman proposed is what's currently in the game FYI

Well, mostly. You can get arcane helmets from other players.

Edited by vaugahn

Oh I'm someone who cares how I look, lol, my hours spent shifting the color schemes of each of my frames and their respective armaments/companions is proof of that, even the cosmetic armor pieces I've made sure fit the themes. But I love the aspect the arcanes offered, stats that helped builds atop of looking stylish. I wanted them to stay, and with a compromise, they could return. I do support your argument for their return, and as a compensation to those who want to keep the cosmetics as pure cosmetics, keep the cosmetic versions in-game as well.

Please feel free to counter my argument or support it. I'd like to see where this discussion goes. Constructive comments, please.

Actually, that's not fair because players who place importance on cosmetics get lower stats than ratchet players.

Well...i mean we aren't all ratchet, but again, that's the choice people make. Keeping it stated or not, it's not like everyone with a Boltor Prime has the same damage output across the board, it's how they build and customize that decides that factor. The Arcane helms also do that.