Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Know If De Will Let Us Change The Ui Back In U15?

Escantell

The UI needed to be updated badly this is coming from a player whos been with warframe since it was open to the public. I love the new UI since it is now part of the game rather being some out menu list. When I go to a planet now it feels like I went to the planet, rather then simply clicking a place on a star chart.

Yeah, but thats more of a pretty flying cinematic/"I'm in a ship" thing, completely unrelated to the odd starchart that is actually less smooth and immersive than the old.

Of course the new UI system was made because of consoles. Everything points to it. *huge* UI objects are obviously meant to be looked at from a distance of several meters. Also from what I understand the previous UI was pretty much impossible to use with a controller and even though the experience won't be smooth the current UI is definitely made to be usable with controllers. All this does not require a tin foil hat but seriously, PC and consoles *need* a different UI solution in pretty much every single game. Some games even get UI overhauls by *modders* so suggesting it is not possible to have optional UI setups is just crazy. Sure, this game is not something users can mod but it does not mean the devs don't have the tools or the ability.

And when it comes to 'fading' protests about the new UI, I am rather sure that many have said what they have to say and are now waiting for something to happen. Some of them play meanwhile, some do not. It's not like burning cars until you get your way is a viable solution to any problem.

Edited by Lord_Malice

Highly doubt it.

The combat UI was changed, people complained. Two weeks later, complaints are gone. A toggle was never added for people to go back to the old one.

There were complaints before it came out and then complaints about those very same issues when it came out. They were ignored. The old combat UI is still superior to the new one (and last time I checked, bits of it were still accessible in-game - activate squad health, then bring up the pause menu)

Why are you guys always so quick to try to pin everything on console users? Just curious.

The new UI is sleeker, more polished and less confusing. How does that translate to "goddamn console peasants ruining everything again!"?

It is most definitely not sleeker. To accomplish one thing, the option trees are deeper in the current UI than in the old UI, which is the direct opposite of sleek. It is also definitely *more* confusing, since it's not immediately apparent what you need to do. The old menu UI had everything accessible from one screen - maps, weapons, foundry. Everything was reachable either from a button at the top or by clicking on the starchart. The new UI hides everything behind multiple levels of clicks. The starmap is an amorphous mass instead of the clean tree it used to be (but the progression requirements are still the same).

And saying that "you can just press escape" is pretty damning - the best way of dealing with the new UI is to bypass it entirely. And even then, you still have the current inventory and weapons screens, which are functionally inferior to their U13 counterparts (see: more added click depth, less visible on screen).

Sure, it's prettier, but that's it. If I want eye candy, I can just find a flashy screensaver.

Unfortunately, DE have explicitly stated that they don't care about ease of use. It's never getting any better.

Doomfruit - Eh. See Eve and Captain's Quarters. Sooner or later it'll bite em...they're not up much at the moment despite their New User Experience, which should have drastically increased retention.

It will not get reverted.  Try giving some constructive feedback on how to improve it and it might get closer to your taste.

That was given. It's been ignored. At this point, not allowing people to get away with myths about it being decent from a HCI standpoint is the best thing, afaik. It's not like DE haven't admitted HCI wasn't on their list or anything.

Yes, right, people should quit. Got another channel?

Edited by DawnFalcon

Yes, right, people should quit. Got another channel?

Do you know what a strawman argument is? In case you don't, let me help you out: it's when you purposely misinterpret someone's argument to make it easier to attack. You know, exactly like you're doing. Please, do me a favor and point me to the place where I told someone to quit. And don't even bother saying "oh you implied it" or anything like that, because you and I both know that's bull.

That post, right there. Bluntly stated. Like every time. And again here, attacking me. Same every time.

Keep blaming me for your strawman tactics, as you try and light warframes up though. You'll just deny it all and start ranting again, of course, making this thread about you rather than what's wrong with the "new" UI.

Edited by DawnFalcon

Sad times isnt it? I remember way back in days of xbox,ps2 and cube when every one could live in harmony, looked down others way less and were happy about others... I want to go back those days.

Problem is developers continue to shoehorn control systems obviously designed for a controller onto PC players (even in some cases heavilly hardcoding PC controlls to certain setups), when there is actually very little extra work (given keyboard & mouse controls are being done anyway) to make a control system actually good for both controller users and keyboard and mouse users.  All in all that feels insulting to PC players because the gaming industry wouldnt be where it is hadn't the PC taken it this far. 

Few of us are insulting consol players by complaining things are being made more around controllers/consols and more about us feeling that to developers PC players dont matter anymore.

The UI needed to be updated badly this is coming from a player whos been with warframe since it was open to the public. I love the new UI since it is now part of the game rather being some out menu list. When I go to a planet now it feels like I went to the planet, rather then simply clicking a place on a star chart.

You know all of what you mentioned is better has nothing to do with the UI, right?  The UI is still a menu list, a FMV makes it look like you are going to another planet.  Take the previous UI, add the FMV and bang same thing.

@OP

No the UI wont be coming back because DE tossed it in the bin by the sounds of things.

Edited by Loswaith

Umm, they explicitly said because consoles in the UI dev interview. 

Precisely, what they wanted was a UI that was as happy a medium as they could get between PC-friendly and console-friendly.  The previous UI was PC friendly but it wasn't console-friendly enough.  The current UI is somewhat PC-friendly (in that you can mouseclick a lot of things) but much more console-friendly.  But they said they didn't want to make it so console-friendly that it alienated PC players (like you get in some ports which are irritatingly useless from the PC point of view).

Of course I would much rather they had 2 UIs, one PC-oriented like the old one, the other for consoles, but I guess they feel that would double their workload to no great benefit (since if they can get the happy medium, PC players will make do). 

Personally, I thoroughly dislike the fact that developers have to kowtow to the godawful clunkiness of laughably mis-named "game controllers", not just with UIs but with gameplay generally.  But it's a fact of life, and parallel development does help support the PC side of things too.

I think the best PC players can hope for is a few QOL tweaks down the road.

Again, speaking personally, I'd love the option to turn off the diegetic thing and be able to switch off the swishy transitions between screens.  The Foundry could do with some improvement too (e.g. having it stay in the area you've scrolled to when you make something, instead of aut-scrolling back to the top of the list when you've made something or done something).  Also, I'd like a button to "accept" mod switches while you're in the Arsenal screen, instead of having to go back then back again to "fix" the mods you've set up, so you can immediately use the "Mod" button bottom right after switching round a few mods. 

I'd also like a button in the Arsenal screen to take you immediately (as opposed to via the 4 square menu) to a special Fusion screen related to just that weapon, with info on that screen re. how much you're affecting the Drain on that weapon by fusing a mod.  Either that, or Drain info on the Mod screen anyway.

These are QOL things I'd like to see.

Edited by Omnimorph