Stop The Insanity

So, new MK weapons! w00000000000!

Went to buy them. Got this:

2djoqk9.jpg

Which means, I'll need to:

1. Click that okay.(takes me to weapon purchase interface)

2. Click escape.(takes me to primary weapon market menu)

3. Click escape.(takes me to main weapons market menu)

4. Click escape.(takes me to standard liset mode)

5. Click escape.(opens standard escape menu)

6. Click equipment(opens equipment menu).

7. Click arsenal(opens arsenal interface).

8.Click equip(opens the arsenal inventory screen)

9.<<<{{OH WAIT THIS DOESN'T EVEN WORK, INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG! YOU CAN'T EVEN BUY SLOTS THIS WAY!}}>>>

10.Click escape(takes me back to the arsenal).

11. Click escape(opens the arsenal interface).

12. Click escape(returns me to standard liset mode)

13. Click escape(opens the standard escape menu)

14 Click equipment(opens the equipment menu)

15. Click... inventory?(opens the inventory)

16. Click weapons.(opens the weapons sub-tab of the inventory).

17. Click "Buy Slots"(opens the "Buy slots?" prompt)

18. Click "Yes"(buys the slots).

19. (SPECIAL OPTIONAL): Repeat 17 and 18 twice, to purchase enough slots for all new MK-1 items.

20. Click escape(takes me to the equipment menu)

21. Click escape(takes me to the standard escape menu)

22. Click market(opens the market menu)

23. Click weapons(opens the main weapons market menu)

24. Click primary weapons(opens the primary weapon market menu)

25. Click MK1-Paris(opens weapon purchase interface)

26. Click "Buy"(opens weapon purchase confirmation)

27. Click "Yes"(buys bow, produces a thank you prompt).

28. Click "Okay"(returns me to weapon purchase interface)....

At this point, I've purchased exactly 1 bow, and this list is the process started from the error message--starting from loading into the game, I performed an additional 6 steps.

So I've had to click 34 times... to buy 1 weapon.

Luckily, the remaining MK1 that I need to purchase will be somewhat shorter, but:

1. Click escape(primary weapon menu)

2. Click MK-1 Strun(opens weapon purchase interface)

3. Click "Buy"(opens weapon purchase confirmation)

4. Click "Yes"(buys shotty, produces a thank you prompt).

5. Click "Okay"(returns me to weapon purchase interface)

and I'll need 2 more steps to go to secondaries, 5 more steps per secondary, 2 more steps to reach melee, 5 more steps per melee, so, grand total, I'll have gone through 63 steps(not including the fact we did 17 and 18 thrice... so 67 steps total).... just to buy everything in this update.

There *has* to be an easier way to do this.

Edited by Llyssa

give us an option to toggle to old UI? o.o

The UI is not backwards compatible and DE is not willing to do the work required to go back to the old one especially considering they and a large portion of the playerbase think that the new UI is an improvement.

To be fair, it wouldn't have been much better in the old UI. Anyways, the fix here is obvious. There's a quick menu box in the upper left while you're in a station, un-nest that to form a top bar with all the stations on it (maybe even customizable?). The next step would be to un-nest the quick menu itself, maybe some sort of rollover to access nested tabs.

give us an option to toggle to old UI? o.o

Other features that need refinement are the elements that haven’t made a transition into the new UI; such as Clan/Friend list and the Codex.  It’s also important to note that the UI isn’t simply just a means of interacting with the game’s menus, it’s also a tremendously important part of Warframe’s networking between missions, lobbies, and various zones.  As such, we have no way of simple ‘turning off’ the new UI so that players can switch to back to the old.  It’s gone for good, folks.

Sorry.

Edited by vaugahn

The UI is not backwards compatible and DE is not willing to do the work required to go back to the old one especially considering they and a large portion of the playerbase think that the new UI is an improvement.

Great, and the majority of the community? Oh, right, never mind.

Objectively, it's not. It's not faster, or simpler, or more minimalist.

It has longer time to get to any one thing compared to the old UI. Everything requires more clicks.

Everything is buried deeper in more menus than the old UI, nothing is easier to access. To get to my arsenal I hit ESC > Equipment > Arsenal. Before I just hit Arsenal.

The only thing it got right, wasn't even something it did. It was simply explained better to new players by a completely different revamp.

The new UI sucks objectively. It looks pretty, and that's about it. It doesn't let me jump into a missions quicker, or leave a squad faster (actually takes longer now). Modding takes longer, as I can't click a mod and simply hit what I want. I hit the button, then it loads a new screen (briefly), and when I finish, I have to back out of that screen to get to where I was. I can't buy slots as quickly anymore, and a myriad of other annoying tasks and problems (such as not being able to hit ESC to end chat, WFs blocking screens, and motion/sim sickness from the UI sway)

But honestly, what makes you think this UI is so great? The aesthetics? Aesthetics come second in UI design, not first.

It has longer time to get to any one thing compared to the old UI. Everything requires more clicks.

Everything is buried deeper in more menus than the old UI, nothing is easier to access. To get to my arsenal I hit ESC > Equipment > Arsenal. Before I just hit Arsenal.

The only thing it got right, wasn't even something it did. It was simply explained better to new players by a completely different revamp.

The new UI sucks objectively. It looks pretty, and that's about it. It doesn't let me jump into a missions quicker, or leave a squad faster (actually takes longer now). Modding takes longer, as I can't click a mod and simply hit what I want. I hit the button, then it loads a new screen (briefly), and when I finish, I have to back out of that screen to get to where I was. I can't buy slots as quickly anymore, and a myriad of other annoying tasks and problems (such as not being able to hit ESC to end chat, WFs blocking screens, and motion/sim sickness from the UI sway)

But honestly, what makes you think this UI is so great? The aesthetics? Aesthetics come second in UI design, not first.

Am I really alone in feeling like Aesthetics is the weakest point of the new UI? I always feel vaguely like I'm trapped in MS-DOS.

Actually I fully agree with you the only actual improvement with the new UI is the aesthetics and even that is subjective the only reason people like it in the first place is the improved immersion which is actually because of the ship not the UI.

Personally I would like to see everything centralized with one console that has the old UI or a slightly modified version of it because all the separate consoles are annoying that way it will still work with the current layout but will allow us to be able to get most of the functionality of the old UI back.

Personally I would like to see everything centralized with one console that has the old UI or a slightly modified version of it because all the separate consoles are annoying that way it will still work with the current layout but will allow us to be able to get most of the functionality of the old UI back.

We don't even need a new console. I pulled this screen from the megathread:

I28HVLL.jpg

That little white box with the three lines in the upper left of the UI takes you straight to the quick menu, but for the nav screen they could just spread it out across the top like the old menu bar. They could even add an option to load to the nav menu on login/after a mission. That would be an excellent compromise between old and new. It would essentially retain the key features from both.

I28HVLL.jpg

That little white box with the three lines in the upper left of the UI takes you straight to the quick menu, but for the nav screen they could just spread it out across the top like the old menu bar. They could even add an option to load to the nav menu on login/after a mission. That would be an excellent compromise between old and new. It would essentially retain the key features from both.

That looks perfect.

I28HVLL.jpg

I'd be okay with this. Best of both worlds.

I like how we still say "the old way!", just in new and different versions. ;p I'd settle for a happy medium, just... not 60-frigging navigations to do something so simple.

As for MS-DOS:

ladf_sound.png

This particular one has a blue background, but before things were designed with color monitors in mind, they were, like our current UI, black and white only.

I like how we still say "the old way!", just in new and different versions. ;p I'd settle for a happy medium, just... not 60-frigging navigations to do something so simple.

Well the only real comparisons we have are old and new, so that's understandable XD

As for the look, it's actually not bad. The menus themselves are awesome, but I think the angle and difficulty getting to them frustrates people.

1) click buy

2) prompt telling that you don't have enough slots. Do you want to buy some? Click yes.

3) Confirmation window for spending 12 plats for 2 weapon slots. Click yes.

4) window thanking you, click ok.

5) click buy weapon again

6) confirmation, click yes.

7) thanks for buying! click ok.

DONE.

That's how it was done for the old UI. The new UI only has to bring back the option to buy slots directly when it tells you that you don't have enough.

correction. a moderate portion of the VOCAL player base likes it.

this means that there are about half or two thirds of the players on the forums who like it. this number is mathematically unrepresentative of an entire playerbase and shouldn't be taken as "the overwhelming oppinion" of the playerbase.

the UI team need to sort out the serious issues of having a honestly terrible PS4 orientated star chart (even though they state it's not it seriously is) and need to add MORE information to the screen. by simplifying everything the new UI feels extremely patronising and tedious to navigate through especially when it is horribly optimised. what they need to do is add all the accessible menus into one screen and have that screen load up by default as soon as you log in.

not prance around some shiny new ship that has features stewn about it to give the illusion of immersion. honestly i'm happy with all the stations but all the menu's being spread between them is stupid and tedious. not to mention the fact that people get motion sickness from this new swaying menus and such.

but oh no i'm wrong because i'm just some guy saying things how they are and im "not adapting to change" i would personally love to use the new UI if i didnt make me want to throw my mouse at the screen every time i want to go into a mission or gear up to go into said mission.

So, new MK weapons! w00000000000!

...snip...

There was, but DE queued it for demolishing. :(

To be fair, it wouldn't have been much better in the old UI.

It would have been all of 10 clicks maximum in the previous UI with accurate information so new players know where they need to go.

It's of note, the old UI let you have the market and arsenal opened consecutively, so you could quickly jump from one to the other. I believe it would've been about ~18 clicks(~3 per weapon) under the old system. Still, far fewer than ~70.

your right, there "was" but now weve been "upgraded" so were stuck with this and you will only incur flame from fanboys of the new pretty ui if you suggest your disapproval.

there is utterly no way to guage or know "a large portion" of the community's opinion, theres only a small selection of ppl on the forums commenting either side of the argument compared to the supposed 8million playerbase we supposedly have youd be lucky to count the opinions given in the hundeds, thats a piss in the ocean type comparison, far far too small.

basically there is exactly zero "proper" way to know how many dislike compared to like, it should be done ingame where all can see and vote/voice an opinion without them getting flamed on the forums for their opinions, other betas have done exactly that and its a better way to get real feedback from all.

this means that there are about half or two thirds of the players on the forums who like it. this number is mathematically unrepresentative of an entire playerbase and shouldn't be taken as "the overwhelming oppinion" of the playerbase.

exactly, its like taking a sample of 100 opinions in a village of 1000 people and of those 100 gave an opinion of "yes its good" as opposed to "no its bad" so well just assume that of 1000 people that "yes" was the majority result and ignore those other 900 who may have said "no" but werent given the chance.

if you want an accurate picture you get as many opinions as possible, and as were supposedly playing a beta we should easily be given the option to vote on stuff we have experienced for the first time ingame after a change etc to voice our opinions direct to DE with our opinions kept private.

Even DE has the courage to do in-game poll I have low confidence if they can get their wording right for the poll.  To get an accurate wording for a poll or questionnaire is a field in psychology and I don't think they have the expertise.  A lot of people still don't distinguish the difference between player ship (Liset) and actual UI.  It's further complicated by the same update that somehow tied the ship and UI console together.  People can be "happy" with the "UI" and at same time also say some fixes are needed, but if you have poll items such as are you "happy", and "not happy", and people in that case would probably just pick "happy", but that would be perceived as "every thing is fine" from developers' point of view, and as developers, less works is good.  That's why in serious feedback studies, experts use scale rather than simple multiple choice items.