Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Hunhow 2.0 (Utility-Only Companion Concept) The Rebirth

ZeroJackdaw

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wanted one of these.  Sentinels had no pathing issues, but never have any personality.  The Kubrow has an emotional bond with you, but anyone who even some-what parkours in this game with know they can get stuck in loops.  Flying based pets would have an emotional bond as well as doing away with pathing issues as long as they are aware of height changes (like door frames).  

Plus, after playing Borderlands 2, I want my own Blood-wing (and Handsome Jack won't be around to make me hate the explosive element)

This is actually a rather good summation of my feeling on the matter, and I do appreciate that the Hunhow takes skill and a keen eye to get rather than just hoping that the RNG feels like throwing me a bone. I would love to have some of these.

I was thinking of an ability called 

SCRABBLE: Hunhow will attack the enemy currently being attacked by player.Does no damage, but enemies cannot fire, and are instead busy beating off the hunhow.

Note: I think this can be useful in bossfights, or when facing high level enemies that pose a large threat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sentinels fit the role of a flying pet just fine, if anything they should be improved upon, instead of shoehorning more weird stuff into the game.

But of course everyone goes gaga when fur and feathers are involved, so whatever, lets wait see when DE decides to grow our menagerie.

Edited by DarkTails

I have no issue Nerco'ing this thread.

These are amazing concepts and I really want DE to implement them.  

So far, the Plunderer Hunghow is my favorite.

Necro'ing this? Naaah... It's still a relevant topic. (I really hope so)

I didn't even bother doing the kubrow quest entirely, but if this is added,I'll be the first to use them more than my Shade!

• 1 month later...

My only complaint: kinda weird, to me, how the Hunhow is located on multiple planets when Kubrows are only on one.

I mean, I guess it's sort of a city-pigeon vibe to them, but I feel like the lore ought to be more reflect of the kubrows - only, these were made FOR the Tenno, rather than the Orokin... maybe, I dunno. Ignore me at your leisure, this is already a masterful idea.

Curious.

I hadn't seen this thread before.

Honestly, the hunhow mask looks more like a humanoid-style face. I imagine them as a sort of middle ground between kubrows and sentinels... little fairy-like bipeds that aren't as aggressive as kubrows, but aren't as strictly bound to us as sentinels--little dudes that stick near us, but have some ability to wander to fight or do things.

I kind of hope more for that than your variation--the sentinels already have the bird thing kind of down, and kubrows have the quadruped market cornered. Having little helper dudes in the vein of sprites/brownies/dwarves/elves(historical, not tolkien) would be nifty, I think. Little loyal servants creature things with strange abilities.

The Hunhow 2.0

Tenno Pet Fan-Concept

zQh5FRm.jpg

It's been so long, but that makes it all the sweeter. Here's a fun teaser for what's to come. (Delicious 3D) The designs are all getting a bit of polish and reworking too.

I missed this concept, and Shadows of the Dead was just what it needed. ;)

If you're new to this concept check out what it's all about below!

Hunhow 1.0

The Original Concept

The Kubrow pet was hinted as far back as the Sentinel Mask baring the same name, so what of that odd other mask baring the resemblance to another odd spliced creature? The mask at face value appears to have a long beak or snout, a long plume, large frog-like eyes, and a long swirled tongue. While I expect a lot of this mask's features to be artistic distortion (as with the Kubrow mask), it seemed oddly avian to me with slight reptilian or amphibious attributes.

PetHunhowMask.png

If one mask can become a fully realized pet in the heart of warframe, why not another?

Meet the Hunhow. A snake-like bird creature that resides on several of the terraformed planets as an invasive species (gaining access to other worlds by roosting in Grineer and Corpus ships) and once acted as beautiful intelligent sentries to the Orokin. While Kubrow are mainly focused on damage and Sentinels offer a balance between damage and utility, Hunhow are fully focused on utility and will not directly attack enemies. By sacrificing direct damage, the Hunhow offer unprecedented usefulness on the field of battle in buffing their masters abilities. (Loyalty therein, will instead correspond to the percentage of energy can a Hunhow can use at a time and not damage output like a Kubrow.)

The Classes

Each Hunghow, like a Sentinel or Kubrow has a specific typing, although unlike Kubrow each class has a unique look to them based on the planet they've adapted to. To obtain each of the Hunhow classes, you must find an egg from each of their planets of origin. (I sort of...hate how the breeds are RNG based with the Kubrow, so here's a fun alternative!)

The Outrider Hunhow

cR5TSSo.jpg

Habitat: Icy Tundra of Europa

Keen Eye: (active when no enemies are in close proximity of player or if enemies have taken cover) The Hunhow moves ahead of it's Tenno master and marks waves of incoming enemies with a red aura. Enemies effected by the Hunhow's mark-for-dead will temporarily have a flickering target beacon similar to that seen on rare cores and items only red in color and protruding from the enemy's core. This marker gives a medium crit boost when that enemy is fired upon while the ability remains active.

Caw to Arms: (active when enemies are close or are attacking the player) For this ability, the Hunhow circles above the player and sings a short melodic chirp. Similar to a Grineer Regulator, this ability casts a friendly morale booster in a small radius around the player and will grant those around it a minor boost of both fire-rate and reduced reload time for a short period.

---

The Mimic Hunhow: 

oZgjJEj.jpg

Habitat: Earth's Jungle

Turncoat Trap (Disguise): This ability allows the Hunhow to disguise the player as a member of the enemy faction and severely lessen aggression by the opposing units. Unlike invisibility, the holographic projection also fools enemy support units into aiding the player, but in return this ability does not guarantee full stealth as enemies can become suspicious of your actions (other factions might find it a bit odd if they see you wall-running or killing "friendly" units). Shooting or attacking with this ability active will not break the disguise, as it actively represses aggressive fire, but it will aggro nearby units.

Ventriloquism: If the player is under heavy fire, the Hunhow will leave the player's side and flank the enemy from afar. The pet will parrot the words of the opposing faction (saying something similar to "No! Over here!" or "Help! Another Tenno spotted!") drawing aggro to that location for a short time.

---

The Plunderer Hunhow (The answer to perhaps giving up your carrier for a living pet's expensive upkeep):

3X2FqSX.jpg

Habitat: Ceres Acid Plains

Treasure Hunter: (always potentially active) This Hunhow rarely returns to its masters side and wildly scouts the perimeter for fallen items which when picked up by the pet will transfer immediately to the player. It prioritizes focus on mods and resources but will also pick up credits, health, and energy when neither mods or resources are within range. If an unlocked crate or locker is within the Hunhow's area of influence it will peck it open spilling its contents for immediate gain.

Scavenge: (active when the player kills an enemy) Similar to an isolated Nekros' Desecration, the Hunhow will pick apart the corpses of fallen enemies one by one to unearth more loot hidden within. Note, the Hunhow will only target enemies killed by its master and will scavenge one enemy at a time.

---

The Guardian Hunhow:

20bv2TM.jpg

Habitat: Desert Plains of Phobos

Phoenix Guard:

When the player receives life threatening damage (reduced to low health), the Hunhow will link with it's master and take the damage to health instead of the player. Until the player regains their health, the Hunhow will continue to supplement it's energy to maintain this link. If any damage exceeds the health limit of the companion or the player, the Hunhow will fall and spare the player.

Shimmering Flare: For this ability, the Hunhow intakes light from it's surroundings (similar to the mechanics of Mirage's 3rd ability which detects presence of light near the character) and charges a radial flare. If plentiful light was charged into the ability the resulting flare will blind nearby foes with a wider radius. In contrast, if only darkness was present (or very little light was absorbed), the ability instead becomes a radial knock-back. The charged shot will only detonate in the presence of enemies, but the charged state can remain active until then.

--------------

Secondary Skills (WIP)

From the Ashes:

(active when the player, or fellow players are downed) This high priority ability causes the Hunhow to rush to a downed player and while hovering above the helpless Tenno,  it releases a blue stasis cloud from its wings. This halts the timer for the downed player until help arrives, however the Hunhow is very venerable in this state. If the Hunhow fails to keep the stasis field up, the death timer for the player will resume.

Lockpick:

(active in the presence of locked canisters and lockers) Much like a secondary Master Thief, this ability allows the Hunhow the chance to open locked lockers. When the Hunhow  is close to a red-lit locker, it will tap its beak against the door trying to coax it open, if successful the door will spill its contents and if not, the Hunhow will move to another locker in a quick succession.

Taunt:

(potentially active when enemies are near and are on full alert) At the start of this AOE ability the Hunhow gives a loud laughing cackle that bursts a medium range ring of influence across the battlefield. Enemies effected in its radius will become enraged and target the player, however will receive a massive decrease in the accuracy of their weaponry. The Mimic Hunhow has special taunts for this skill shrieking poor copycat phrases from the enemy faction such as "Grineeeeer SKUM!" on Grineer maps or "Tot pke Jatttasey!" (For the Warframes/Tenno!) on Corpus maps.

Escape Artist:

When the Hunhow's or player's shield is completely extinguished from full capacity, the player receives a medium speed boost as well as a refresh to stamina until the ability timer expires. The timer can only be refreshed if the player or Hunhow's shield drops from full to none once more. The timer, however, can be further prolonged if both the player and Hunhow's shields expired simultaneously from full capacity.

Element Adapt: When the player receives elemental damage, the Hunhow will grant the player some resistance to that elemental damage type if the player is afflicted again. For example, if the player is hit with lingering fire damage, the Hunhow will cast this ability and if the player is reignited the fire damage will be greatly lessened. However, the player does not control what element the Hunhow will assign resistance. If the player is stuck by toxic damage after the fire damage the Hunhow will adapt to Toxic for the next resistance the player receives.

(Ability Suggestions from other Community Members)

---------------

Obtaining the Hunhow

Unlike Kubrow dens, smashing a Hunhow nest will have a high chance for an egg to drop, however the nests themselves are a hard to spot and are located often in the upper regions of the tile-sets. Should a player wish to find one of these nests, he/she will need to test his parkour skills to reach the spawn areas of the nests which are adhered to the walls of the upper map. To alert the player that a nest is close, the parent Hunhow will screech in the presence of a nearby Tenno as an attempt to scare off predators. When a Tenno closes in on the nest the parents employ a knockback skill, dive-bombing the intruder to knock the Tenno off the ledge. Once a nest is destroyed the parent will abandon the nest and fly away.

(Suggested by Khunvyel)

Unlike Kubrow eggs, the Hunhow egg is very brittle and will break if not carried carefully. Each player must carry the egg (like a data mass) without dropping it. If the player is downed while carrying the egg, it will break. While holding the egg the player must use secondary or melee weaponry. Successfully carrying it to the exit will gain you a Hunhow egg.

As previously stated. Each breed of Hunhow has a planet it has evolved around. Finding an egg from the respective breed's planet will also guarantee that breed to hatch.

Old Designs:

hv1mGGa.jpg

(I am open to feedback, everything is subject to adjustment and change as this thread evolves when new art and content is added. :D Thanks for checking it out)

C'est le meilleur concepte !!! PARFAIT  !!!

Curious.

I hadn't seen this thread before.

Honestly, the hunhow mask looks more like a humanoid-style face. I imagine them as a sort of middle ground between kubrows and sentinels... little fairy-like bipeds that aren't as aggressive as kubrows, but aren't as strictly bound to us as sentinels--little dudes that stick near us, but have some ability to wander to fight or do things.

I kind of hope more for that than your variation--the sentinels already have the bird thing kind of down, and kubrows have the quadruped market cornered. Having little helper dudes in the vein of sprites/brownies/dwarves/elves(historical, not tolkien) would be nifty, I think. Little loyal servants creature things with strange abilities.

A dwarf ??