Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Else Regretting Getting Into The Hole Known As Kubrow Breeding?

Noteybook

You know, I started out happy about Kubrows. These cute little buggers would follow us on missions and help us out-and man, were they fun to have.

But then I wanted to have one of each-mastery, right? And to see which one I liked best. Raksa was the first one I got, and the second, and the third... I got a 4th from imprints of a friend's.

Around 6 or 7 Kubrows in(I can't recall how many it took), I finally got 1 of everything. I should have left it at that and been happy with what I got. But I saw all those neat patterns and colors other people were getting, and wanted to try to get one myself. It couldn't be that hard, right? Just try some random eggs, and get lucky.

To keep myself from rambling on endlessly as I tend to I'll just cut it short here-over a dozen Kubrows, many failures, fingers crossed and hopes higher then a gambler pulling slots with his last coin, I'm finally done. At some point I thought I could try to get my plat back by breeding something interesting enough, just to get out of the hole I'd just myself in.

I know what you're going to say: Kubrows are not necessary, you should have known because of how RNG is, it's your own fault, etc. But you have to understand there are serious faults in the system; a system that wasn't even remotely explained when it was dropped in. One that has been causing a lot of frustration for people who either want specific Kubrows, want to mad scientist the hell out of it, and people who want to make a buck.

Recessive Traits? Dominant ones? I've done some breeding and understand those are in some way occurring but are extremely expensive and time consuming to observe. So, here's this; You want to try mixing up two Kubrows. Say, one's a Lotus pattern, the other is striped. You blend the first set of imprints together, and, you have another striped Kubrow. At this point you now have no chance to "clone" that original Lotus kubrow. You take another gamble and try again with the same mix. It's another striped Kubrow pup, with slightly different colors.

At this point you have now forever lost the chance to have that Lotus Kubrow again, seeing how that striped pattern was 'dominant'. You cannot make more imprints of that Lotus Kubrow, you can't do anything with it, and now you are stuck with 3 striped Kubrows, which although may be pretty and interesting on their own right, are nowhere near as valuable as a Lotus pattern. Those striped patterns have shown to be dominant, and I doubt you could breed back that Lotus pattern out of them(If they even carry it, which is impossible to tell).

This is why Print sets are going for the hundreds, and earlier on where going up to near a thousand plat for a good set. Because once you are screwed out of the two imprints you get, that's it. No more chances. Even if you mix two of the same imprints there is variations that occur. There may even be a chance that "RNG" will disregard the pattern and come up with something(This is better explained on the Kubrow megathread, I think it's in Players helping Players?).

I'm not going to even approach the subject of the forced time waits and the expensive of keeping a Kubrow up and going because I am sure DE and everyone else has heard it a thousand times before.

tl;dr I can't do my mad scientist work with only 2 imprints per Kubrow, and now I'm past the point of being able to make back all the plat I used for slots and whatnot. Yes it's my fault for gambling, but I needed to vent. I don't care if the thread is locked or whatever but it feels a lot better to get this out instead of uninstalling and reinstalling all day.

You know you can craft more Imprint scanner thingies, right?

Yes. You can only take two imprints from your Kubrow. That's it.

Just wait for 14.5 where the have customization.

I know, I should have waited in the first place. I was hoping I could get a good Kubrow and sell the prints to make back the plat and at least somewhat feel accomplished. But Kubrow Customization will kill that market, so I lose regardless.My own fault I know. Just Lamenting the nature of RNG.

I only stayed in the hole until I got the Kubrow I wanted. Then I just climbed out and never looked back. 

You are made of stronger stuff then I.

I didn't really regret it at first, but that was until I started getting one plain grey kubrow after another. 7 times a row. Then some variation between ugly orange and dull blues without patterns started and it never got better

I know the feeling OP. I have 20 of the things, and I don't like any of them. They all either have great patterns/colors but a crappy build/height, or have a good build/height but have crappy patterns/colors. Or I get exactly what I want in height, body type, pattern, and color... but I get the wrong gender. The kubrow customization thing that's coming out has just made me saltier. 

I didn't really regret it at first, but that was until I started getting one plain grey kubrow after another. 7 times a row. Then some variation between ugly orange and dull blues without patterns started and it never got better

Yeah. That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.

I know the feeling OP. I have 20 of the things, and I don't like any of them. They all either have great patterns/colors but a crappy build/height, or have a good build/height but have crappy patterns/colors. Or I get exactly what I want in height, body type, pattern, and color... but I get the wrong gender. The kubrow customization thing that's coming out has just made me saltier. 

You should feel lucky to get one almost exactly like you want, gender regardless.. you can't tell what Gender they are after they hatch anyway, so you could always pretend. ;)

I do so far, as I'm 8 Kubrows in and not a single Huras in sight.

I could probably spare you some Huras imprints, might take a day or so to get them ready though.

I regret nothing and RNG/bugs have made me happy as hell. Going 2 random incubations here:

1st one all grey "master race" sahasa. With all the builds I got with being saryn and valkyr it was an immortal dog still is and will never decay because I love it, my little shaniqua! As for bugs to make a 2nd kubrow of course stasis is required and guess what?! I took her out and she is light green/pink with a half-lotus on her face now! wtf?! I don't give a damn what happend I take my already loved beast and love the hell out her even more now!!!

2nd one was a what I consider a useless raksa with and imitation of my sahasa's finisher mods and a useless, catch the target(who can't catch the crying corpus????) mod. But hey, the little bugger made me 30p for being grey with an orange underbelly, that the very next day; fully grown I might add; he has orange stirpes going across it's back...

All-in-all I love how buggy the system is and how desperate people will do for my, going to add up the price to 32 on my raksa and maybe get 15 for my better looking beloved.

8 kubrows, got all but Huras, slowly starving my duplicates now.

Considering I only spent plat on the extra slots, not too bad, but still would've preferred a delete/kill/release button from the start.

Only in it for the mastery, personally think adult kubrows look ugly (puppy-forever-serum!), have a dumb AI that requires too much babysitting and I just love my Carrier too much.

Edited by jepeman

This is the downside, the consequence, etc of trying to get things without losing something somewhere.

Eventually, RNG is going to say hello.

Also, they made it this obtrusive and difficult to make that money. And boy do they make it.

14.5 will supposedly fix all this, but there will be some catch obviously.

8 kubrows, got all but Huras, slowly starving my duplicates now.

Considering I only spent plat on the extra slots, not too bad, but still would've preferred a delete/kill/release button from the start.

Only in it for the mastery, personally think adult kubrows look ugly (puppy-forever-serum!), have a dumb AI that requires too much babysitting and I just love my Carrier too much.

Oh yeah, forgot to touch on how long it takes to starve the Duplicates do you can get the stasis slot back. I also agree on how cute they look as puppies VS adulthood, especially the super skinny ones.

This is the downside, the consequence, etc of trying to get things without losing something somewhere.

Eventually, RNG is going to say hello.

Also, they made it this obtrusive and difficult to make that money. And boy do they make it.

14.5 will supposedly fix all this, but there will be some catch obviously.

The catch being I used all my plat already, and probably still won't be able to make more imprints of my kubrows. 

It just really strikes me how difficult and pain staking they made it. I'm not sure if that's based off the idea they are end-game content, or (theorized by people I've spoken to, but I don't believe it) PWE influence. 

A soon as I saw it was going to be anything like this.... my Kubrow went right into cold storage

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=72

I should have stopped when I realized how difficult it was going to be. 

The trait I wanted was female only (the fluffy paws, smaller waste, etc:http://i.imgur.com/DCN4SPD.jpg) so the kubrow ended up not looking like what I wanted. :(

Wait a minute, that's a female only trait? When the heck did this happen?

I can't do proper research with how few imprints I can make and how expensive this is, either! 

I have a striped Raksa with the fluffy paws, funny enough, my first Kubrow.