DE_Adam

Introducing Our 14.5 Mod Update

I see nothing o.0

Edit: Great!

Now if only the "Rare" mods that are so common become "Common" ...

...and the Rare "Uncommon" mods were set to Rare, we'd be all set! xD

Well, that would pose an issue. In my opinion this is simply a wording issue. By rarity as it is currently in-game they do not reflect the drop rate but instead its value in usefulness I believe. Perhaps we need an extra indicator showing us its drop rate rarity beside its value.

Update 14 brought with it some pretty huge changes to the way players interact with content in Warframe.  Changes to the Arsenal, Foundry, and Star Chart were made to make objectives more presentable and customization easier for new players to grasp.  But through it all Mods slipped through relatively unchanged, save for the way we display them at each Terminal within the Liset.

With 14.5 that's all about to change, and we'd like to take a moment to point out some of the ways that using Mods is going to become a lot easier.  Check out the full details here, and be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments below!

-DE_Adam

That mod UI looks inefficient. I really am not a fan of the continued reinvention of the UI wheel that is going on. Side by side scrolling saves space but takes longer to go through things... Which is why they stopped having it that way in the first place I just recalled. They had a UI like this before and people hated it.

I understand that the intent is efficiency here and I can see how that argument is being made - That the mods are collapsible thus allowing more to be shown, but the mods have strong visual differences and limiting the display to the width of one's screen is a poor idea in my opinion. The color coding is good but largely unnecessary for me at least since already there are differences in portrait and polarity, and there are about 7 different ways to sort mods already. I think that if this must be the case, offer the option to either sort mods vertically or horizontally, and as a third option allow for a window to expand and take up the majority of the UI space showing an even larger amout of owned mods.

I will be updating this post when the patch launches and if I feel differently or more positive about the UI change, I will update this post accordingly, because I don't want to leave an outdated opinion in feedback here. I look forward to experiencing the new mod UI for myself, and will see how it goes. If I dislike it I will make a thread too, as I'm sure many will, but if I like  it I will also make a thread.

Edited by Andaeros
  • Upvote 1

It mentions that it is much easier to see the rarity of a mod, but the rarity never seems to be accurate.  It's not the drop rate, or rarity of the mob, or even always how many are needed.

Rarity just seems to be some really random and unusual ranking for mods.  Why even bother with it when it's been inaccurate this whole time?

Give us mod word/letter search!!! I want to be able to quickly have a mod displayed to me if I start to type it's name on my keyboard while I am in my mod interface.

• Upvote 3

I would like to know, will thier be any bufs and bug fixies. the new sword and shield really needs that buff big time, plus when appling any weapon attachment and selecting a color for them, it goes back to default even though the colors i sleted are still there. and is the shoulder roll option still in the works. It would be great when aiming left or right the camera would roll right or left. That would be really great. Also de are you guys still thinkng of adding stats to the prime warframes, instead of them just being a cosmetic Over haul it would really have more of a drive to farm for them. And this might be asking much but would thier be any prime armor attachment with stats coming in later updates it would be nice to have something that could help u go little longer in voids that dont just look good. Sorry for all the question and if this is the wrong post for them pleas feel free to move to popper post.

I personally think that the new update is highly clunky (in terms of new User Interface stuffs). Whilst I agree that it makes it easier to find the mod you wish, but from the looks, it almost makes it a lot less streamlined than it should be (not intended to be a pun). I do agree that there NEED to be changes, absolutely, but the fact that it removes the description of each mod, it makes it feel like it's NECESSARY to mouse over constantly, making it harder for new players to determine what mods do. While I'm used to, after a good year, what all is available to me, it just makes it all the more tasteless to "streamline it" as such.

I think the new visuals are a plus, but slimming it down is just "ohgodwhywouldyoudothis". I think it could be just a bit better designed.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 3

Nice. Though I'm a little skeptical about the collapsible nature of the new design. No "vital information" is being removed, but the speed of visual intake will be reduced a little I think, even once we're used to it. I really don't see the need to have more mods on screen if it will take more time to see what you're doing. Tough I could be totally wrong we'll learn to rely on the stated name of the mods. I mean, we will, just a question of habit. 

• Upvote 1

3BYIJ9X.jpg

No... No you're not.

Why are we using this godawful U14 crap still when the original interface was clean, simple and to the point. Instead, we're wasting developer time/resources on this travesty of a UI.

It's not readable. It's not intuitive. It reeks of consolitus. 

The only advantage to this is that when we cram mods into our weapons, information is updated on the spot. That's the ONLY good thing about this UI change.

• Upvote 5

The cards being collapsed unless you "hover" over them will be horrible on the PS4, as we don't have a free-moving, accelerating cursor.  You have to manually click around with a joystick.  Less information on the card is also bad.

I'm also concerned that the article noted comparing weapon loadouts and warframe stats, but didn't mention warframe ability comparisons which have yet to have their actual stats displayed anywhere in-game, much less modifications from mods.

You use this word. I don't think you know what it means.

(The old UI was much more efficient on console)

Agreed.  I don't mind the new navigation system, but the newer interface for handling mods is a pain on consoles.  We also lost the "installed" tab, as far as I can tell, which used to be an easy way to isolate mods you were working with.

Didn't see the one thing I'm looking for: the ability to temporarily down-rank a mod. Don't like have to keep 3-5 different copies of mods (looking at you, corrupted mods) just to allow maximum playability.

• Upvote 3

New players learn what each mod is at the beginning because they only get a few at a time, us the veteran players already know what all the mod do so it's not really an issue because all you need at a glance is rank, polarity, drain and name of the mods and the compact ones already have that.

And some of the descriptions on the current mods are incredibly cramped and looks terrible sandwiched together, it's trying to fit far too much information in one space.

The problem is a lot of players learn mods not by name but effect (in some cases the mod image), since the effect is what we are after and it translates between weapon types (rifle, shotgun, sidearm and melee). EG. Every weapon group has a poison damage + status for example but the name for each I couldn't say off the top of my head.

Rather like the new mod care style that is coming out.  Yet I wonder how friendly it is for those that are colorblind.   I ask this cause a friend of mine that plays is colorblind.  Also wonder if we shouldn't keep the text for the rarity on the card somewhere to help aid those players that ether can't see colors, or only see certain colors..

Many sugestions (in the UI livestream thread) were made about having different borders (they showed a few styles) or still listing the rarity for colour blind players, that seems to have been ignored.  Though I suspect even colour sighted players will have issues with the bronze and gold if they arent close enough to directly compare.

Edited by Loswaith
  • Upvote 3

It's not readable. It's not intuitive. It reeks of consolitus. 

Is that even a real word?

And personally i like the new mod UI. 

I think some of you people just dont like change.

• Upvote 3

Give us mod word/letter search!!! I want to be able to quickly have a mod displayed to me if I start to type it's name on my keyboard while I am in my mod interface.

This is all I want, personally. The UI looks snazzy and all that, but give us a search function and let us utilise the keyboard for searching. It would make modding so much quicker on PC.

I don't care about visuals. Then are you going to fix and balance all mods?

Very nice, but I would have liked to see the ability to change rank of a mod on a per-weapon basis. For example if I want a rank 10 heavy caliber on the synapse for max damage, all I do is equip it as is (assuming it's already rank 10). But if I want more accuracy for paris prime, I may only want a rank 5 heavy caliber and I'd be able to use the same mod, just lower the rank.