Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excavation Feedback Megathread

[DE]Megan

Me and some people just did two runs, first one on earth we got 1000 (with a surprise from the G3 which nearly killed us all) and our second run we got 3000. We love the new gamemode!

At first it was a bit confusing what to do, but after 1 dig site completed we got the hang of it.

With a little bit of communication you can do more than two at a time, though on the new tileset, in dead ends, its very quiet and hard to get energy.

In terms of energy container amount, at one point the ground is littered with them, the other you're racing trough the tunnels searching for one.

Maybe link the spawnrates to the energy percentages? Other then that its really enjoyable!

Excavation Feedback Megathread 

The brand new Excavation gameplay mode has arrived with Update 14.5! Please post your relevant feedback in this thread so we can better make changes to improve this new gamemode! As with most new additions, we’re eager to hear your feedback and make changes where necessary.

Related threads will be merged into this megathread so all feedback is kept organized.

Thanks for your help, Tenno!

Power Cores:

Grineer carrying Power core sometime tends not to spawn at all.

have a extractor from 2.5k health lasting 5+mins due to no power.

Love the new mode for planetary survival. 

for those a little confused, you can carry more than one power cell at a time, allowing you to fully power a node each time you activate one. Lots of mobs, making it very exciting and contanst action. 

only issue I've encountered so far, occasionally the nodes will spawn at the edge of map ( phobos map location) making it difficult to reach due to pushback effect at edge of map. 

New mod system, very easy to use, much nicer than the old set up. I found everything very easily, and was able to switch out mods without a lot of hassle, the new "actions" tab, to allow for fusions and such, was a nice touch. the color coding really makes everything more identifiable. 

Directx 10 seems to have really improved both the look of the game, and performance across the board. 

All said, I find this to be an excellent update, Will of course update as needed with any bugs or glitches I locate. 

Love it. Please don't get to carried away with tweaking the new game mode. its wonderful. And for the love of god do not reduce the mob counts, its perfect. My personal soloist dream come true.

I really hate this event 3000 pts in one mission with random good luck,big maps, random spawn(no more enemy then poof) , newbie or noobs because it earth and level increasing enemies .There always some one just want to go(leave mission) or not helping group.

Any connection fixes towards the event? I was playing with my friend and after around 3,000 cyrotic points on Phobos, it seems that he lost connection to the host even when he wasn't hassling with his connection nor was I. Does it seem that doing a mission for a long period of time tend to break connection with others?

Not sure about you guys, but I hit 3k points in just 2 runs (Didn't know it's per round best score on the first round) with C1600 gear. Haven't tried the Ice tileset.

This is my feed back:

-Overall, I applaud DE's efforts to make gameplay (survival) more realistic. I enjoyed the intensity of this new mission type. Good job!

- Consider adding on-screen markers. This new mode really encourages teamwork (guarding different extractors + looting power cells simultaneously) though this experience is diluted by the huge tile-set which resulted in the squad getting separated or even lost at times. To notch up the difficulty, maybe add "shields" onto the main sensor that absorbs damage (siphoned by power cell troopers?) using energy. 

-Spawn rates are impressive - no one expected the Grineer to rival the infested in numbers (they are mass cloned, so it's lore friendly in a way). This added difficulty also ensured that power cells are everywhere. However, at around 2k points, the biggest concern is shifted towards the napalm and rocket units who will destroy your excavation in mere seconds. Leaving an area unattended will result in a piling up of enemies - making the extraction route most perilous. This situation in Phobos and Earth makes the two "lower" level maps more difficult than that of Europa instead.

-An option to select the quantity of power cells to invest in a station is required. Many times I find myself accidentally walking past and dropping 5 cells into a 95% full extractor when it is meant for another. Overloading the main sensor will cause a bugged "|amount| added" sic message to appear.

-Rewards should be re-looked at. With the added difficulty, I find reaching 3k points comparable to a 45min T4S (edit: reaching 2k on Earth and 3k on Phobos is not recommended; get to Europa ASAP). However, the difference in tangible takeaways is stark. Arguably, the new ice mods is the only attractive factor in this event. Perhaps, ice storm or a new ice shotgun mod could be thrown into the drop tables to reward the grinders.

Tips for everyone:

-Get a frost to defend the extractors, and an Oberon for sustain and CC. Nyx and Nova works too. Desecrate doesn't seem to be useful in this case.

-You can pick up more than 1 cell at a time. Use this to your advantage: each extractor requires no more than 130% power and each "scan" no more than 40%. Don't waste cells by overloading!  

-If intending to reach 3k points, splitting into groups of 2 is most efficient. A good melee weapon will only get you to 2k. Puncture, corrosive, and radiation damage will prove most useful. 

That's all I have to say, albeit I only played 2 runs. Unless rewards are increased, I don't foresee a 5th or 6th run (maybe help out in recruit channel). sorry for the long post!

Edited by ihaveBO

My thoughts:

- Spawn the extractors closer together or place multiple scanners (using the same power pool for convenience's sake) to minimise faffing about. On my first run on earth, my reaction was essentially "screw you guys im going home" once they started spawning really far away.

- Give extractors a little bit of regenerating HP like in defense, maybe? Would make things a bit easier on solo players.

Otherwise, this is a pretty fun gamemode. I like it.

I really hate this event 3000 pts in one mission with random good luck,big maps, random spawn(no more enemy then poof) , newbie or noobs because it earth and level increasing enemies .There always some one just want to go(leave mission) or not helping group.

level 25+ grineer at 11th extractor...

i can see 30th extractor (3k pts) will be hard...

u will need a CC-OP frame with god-mode.

- Give extractors a little bit of regenerating HP like in defense, maybe? Would make things a bit easier on solo players.

Am currently solo'ing this event. reached 1k mark...

with the insane increase in levels for grineer over time/extractor. it is hard for solo to hit 3k.

My Feedback:

1) I love the new game mode!

2) Weirdly, the mission on the "lowest" of the planets (Earth) seemed a lot more difficult than the one on Europa

2.1) That is, probably, because Grineer as a faction are much harder to fight than Corpus.

2.2) The Earth and Phobos Tilesetsa are very difficult to traverse at times, while the new Ice Planet Tileset (albeit limited) is mostly long corridors with no real challanges in the environment to get stuck and/or lost in.

3) The health and Energy level of the machines is really hard to keep track of when there are multiple ones running.

I'd suggest maybe putting the vital stats above the actual machine in the game world (maybe use the new UI technology) so you can always have the ones you are in a room with under control, without having to check the letters assigned to each one by the map and then locate them.

4) The loot they uncover is the same boring stuff as in Survival. I'd rather have an uncharged Fusion core instead of mountains of 'Parry' mods.

First batch of feedback after two missions;

A) BUGS

• If you just stand at the start of the mission doing nothing, enemies spawn constantly, running somewhere. The same happens when you just run around when no artifact is being excavated. They continue to spawn and run around, even if you don't kill anyone.

• The icon of the scanner is so big that it partly clips with the tiny white arrow that indicates "up" or "down."

• Performance is terrible, similar to Cicero Crisis when you inserted the antitoxin and suddenly everything went down. The weird thing is, performance is bad even though there are no enemies on your tile or the adjacent one, so I guess it is too much spawning and running around of NPCs that makes this happen. No Survival node or invasion I ever encountered had such bad performance. Not even the regular Earth survivals.

B) FEEDBACK

• First and most important, I had plenty of fun with this game mode. I didn't feel as pressured as in survival where I get punished by RNG sometimes. That said, the good kind of pressure, the challenge, is still up. I can much better decide when to go and how far I want to go. This is wonderful. Great Job :) However, I don't know if this should be replacing survival. It sounds more like an actual mobile defense, just like Hijack sounds like a better mobile Defense.

• The Health bar interface on the right feels too huge and convoluted (due to spacing) to make out which beacon is which and where you actually have to go to defend when multiples are up.

• Enemies spawning at the start of the mission run SOMEWHERE, apparently to the scanner. I went through 4 tiles before finding the first enemy running to the 5th tile which was where the scanner has been located. That doesn't quite make any sense. How would they know where the scanner gets down if even I don't know it?

• Let enemies spawn only when the scanner has been activated, and not earlier. This keeps it a bit with consistency of the other Survival missions (hack to activate) and you stabilize performance a little.

• Maps feel too large. After insertion, I shouldn't run through 4 or 5 LARGE tiles on average just to get to the scanner. Give us the scanner sooner, like the second large tile which has plenty of entrances, or on the third tile and giving the second plenty of branching ways. This would reduce endless long run times on the start

• I like the difficulty curve. It feels a bit softer than regular survival, which is good because there is a lot more running involved in here to get from one point to the other, thus not punishing as much with additional spawns. However, I would welcome it if the enemy spawns would diminish a little when there is no active dig site.

• Thank you a lot for planting this event on Earth, so that every player, even the newest one, can access it and have a reasonable chance with the enemies to at least get a badge :)

C) SUGGESTIONS

• If you have picked up an energy bundle, you shouldn't automatically add this power to something you manage to run by. Either make it an interaction like "power this unit" with your "use" button, or make the ring of interaction smaller, like touch range. It is seriously annoying if you try to run by the scanner, which is positioned in a narrow passage, and constantly power the scanner by accident because I cannot nudge past the activation radius.

• I'm not sure how I should feel about the Scanner being indestructible. I think it should be able to receive damage in the powered state, and if power drops to zero, it should launch into safety again. This would add a bit of spice to the mission. And yes, I suggest this as a solo player. It adds tactical element to give the Scanner just enough energy to complete a scan before launching into safety again, or play the risky business and defend the scanner through a couple of scans before letting it launch away, and then continuing to said dig sites. If the Scanner then gets destroyed, There are two options:
          EITHER the mission is not a failure, but you are basically forced to extraction after all remaining artifacts are recovered because there is nothing else you can do.
          OR a new location for the scanner to get down is selected, and you need to set up a beacon to make it land. This beacon needs to be defended like Interception and powered with energy bundles to establish connection. This allows continuing the mission if so desired, and adds a flavour of consequential continuity to it.
Edited by Khunvyel

I thought the event will be on the icy tileset, but the only thing sub-zero was my FPS.

Anyway, currently I experienced enemy spawning issues. When I tried online, enemies appeared, but stayed at their spawn location and didn't come. Then I tried alone, and this time I couldn't see any enemies but Kubrows. This made the mission easy and impossible, because I couldn't get any power cells to install and keep my progress going.

Otherwise I like the idea of the mission, but sometimes the long distance between the scanner and the drills may make the game mode un-solo-able, which is not good at all.

Edited by at35z

extraction timer is covered by info about the scaner.

and after completing the mission (as client) the mission complete window (rewards, kills etc.) is invisible.

after returning to liset issue stay, i it is impossible to do anything

also, it froze on me for a sec

Edited by Drejzer

Hi!

Well the EXCAVATION mode is really nice game-design wise great job DE !

There are some problems tough :

- Maps look like they are generated the same way every other mission is; some excavators spawn way too far from one another.

- the level design of earth in general isn't well suited for it at all; too difficult to navigate, difficulty to locate enemies and excava tors, especially at night.

- UI might be a litlle too big, lotus chat-box is frequently hiding the excavators status information.

- Due to the way ennemies are spawned if a single player goes to an excavator while the rest of the team goes to another, the single player might be left out of power-cells.

Aside from that, it's a really great mission mode, flow is perfect, difficulty ranks-up pretty well and reward are cumulative.

Keep -it up!

level 25+ grineer at 11th extractor...

i can see 30th extractor (3k pts) will be hard...

u will need a CC-OP frame with god-mode.

Am currently solo'ing this event. reached 1k mark...

with the insane increase in levels for grineer over time/extractor. it is hard for solo to hit 3k.

That's nice to hear. /sarcasm

Gosh I really feel like giving up, but dangit I must have that Latron!

Edited by Shion963