Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operation Cryotic Front, Design And Overview

DE_Adam

Overall this is great addition, well designed interesting mode. havent played enough to nitpick )

I have some problems with ice map: its unnecessary huge, too much running around, some cliffs are hard to navigate and lighting is too uniform in some places making it all look the same.

Once enemy hits the point that they start one shotting the excavator, the game becomes incredibly difficult without a frost. Even with Nyx or Rhino, it really only takes one stray shot to cripple it to half health or more. I'd suggest a gradual increase in health / shields, maybe letting the Excavator fully heal with a battery charge. or giving it some  super charged barrier / invulnerability whenever it's charged with a battery.

Though I wouldn't suggest letting it be balanced to go on endlessly (which is impossible), it shouldn't be unduly hard to get some point past the norm either. Give the Excavator a fighting chance to live.

On another note, it would be awesome if the Excavation turns up a mini boss every once in a while to shake things up. Some ancient prehistoric creature? A lost war machine of the Orokins? Who knows?

On another note, it would be awesome if the Excavation turns up a mini boss every once in a while to shake things up. Some ancient prehistoric creature? A lost war machine of the Orokins? Who knows?

Ok, that'd be amazing. This already reminded me a bit of gathering resources in Firefall (not that there's an issue there, just meant I was more familiar with it - that and it's different enough to still be unique), and having unique spawns show up sometimes would REALLY sell it. Heck, maybe they could hold the next frame's blueprints, like Eximi do for Oberon...it'd certainly give more reason to run Extraction. Maybe one piece from each planet (Earth, Phobos, Europa) and 3 unique 'Wild' enemies (Sentient Plant a la the Shop of Horrors, Sand Worm, maybe a Yeti or something for the ice one because I've got no clue but I wanted all 3 to be 'Wild' enemies).

Personally I don't think excavator destruction should be a fail condition, they get destroyed too easily and in some cases, you get an excavator miles away that breaks the spawn flow due to splitting up the group, and just sits there unpowered half the time.

I had a few missions with a friend and randoms when we lost thumpers excavators just because one of the other guys triggered one and didn't care afterwards. Even with the reduced map size, you sometimes just can't reach an excavator to defend it. While long ways don't matter as much in Survival, they surely do in Excavation.

A possible solution could be, that we can lose 3 excavators (needs a counter, though), and after that the scanner starts to overload, forcing us to pack it and get to the extraction as fast as we can. Immediate mission failure would be too harsh in my opinion, because you'd always need a team that you can fully rely on.

Am I the only one that thinks that excavation (or some kind of reskin) should replace survival on ships as well?  It's really nice not having to worry about randomly running into spells where you get no spawns/no oxygen drops.

thumpers excavators

Lol the similarities to firefall are a bit too close to comfort.

Edited by Aggh

I had a few missions with a friend and randoms when we lost thumpers excavators just because one of the other guys triggered one and didn't care afterwards. Even with the reduced map size, you sometimes just can't reach an excavator to defend it. While long ways don't matter as much in Survival, they surely do in Excavation.

A possible solution could be, that we can lose 3 excavators (needs a counter, though), and after that the scanner starts to overload, forcing us to pack it and get to the extraction as fast as we can. Immediate mission failure would be too harsh in my opinion, because you'd always need a team that you can fully rely on.

I'm not sure if it's intended or a bug, but once you've successfully protected the first excavator, it  seems the mission can no go into failure after that anymore. Once extraction became open to the players, no matter how many excavators that blew up afterwards we didn't had a mission failure. Somehow it fits though imo, because once the main objective is completed and extraction becomes open, why would the mission be a failure for anything secondary objectives afterwards?

DE Adam, I don't understand how cutting life support on the ships is supposed to be a problem for the Warframes if our suits can allow us to fight on the outside of a ship (Dark Sector Conflict) and also flying around in space (Arch Wing). There seem to be some holes still. I do agree that the whole removing the atmosphere from Earth was a really big problem.

Most everyone has said what has to be said about how great this game mode is, but the best thing about it imho is that it's an "easy" game mode. Since there's no time limit, you can go into an Excavation just killing everything in your way without having to worry about whether you have enough life support. Also, it's more skill-based than Survival since your success depends on how well you can defend the Excavators, making it challenging.

My only real gripe with this mission is that despite the latest hotfixes, the map generation still creates maps that are way too big with lots of connecting tiles inbetween, forcing players to run for minutes just to get to the Excavators from the Scanner. The scanner and excavator should only be separated by at most 2-3 map tiles, not 4-5 like we currently have.

Finally, an actual failure condition would be nice to have to make it even more challenging, though without removing the "casualness" that makes this more enjoyable. Something like having a limit on how many Excavators can be destroyed would best, like say you can't have more than 6-8 Excavators destroyed per mission.

Excavation is one of the most enjoyable mission types I've played in Warframe in a long while, and kudos to DE for giving us this game mode.

I kinda dig that there is no "fail" part in this mode.

The only big way here u can fail is when they get too strong and u die too much and run out of revives.

I can see what you guys mean with its not *challenging* like this, but see it on the other hand now you dont have to worry like oh ima run out of life support we need to bail out...

Now u can just sitback relax kill enemy's till ya have enough battery's again and start digging again till you reached your moment where you have no other option but to bail out because u cant kill them anymore.

i ran T4 survivals up to 2hours and sometimes abit more but most of the time we had to go out because 0 life support despite of having a nekro's

This is what i like about excavation for me its a true survive mode where you get endless enemys and u can stay as long as you can kill them. And  you still have to *activate* stuff to get rewards and for the enemys to scale up on lvl.

As far as i can see it its a endless exterminate with a twist on it. As i said before i love it like ALOT :)

Instead of having to bail because no life support.

props to you and the team that worked on this Sir Adam!

any tips on how to do this in solo ? (i beg you not to tell me to join a random squad as i have a strict nat with all ports disabled by my isp)

my only way i can do this is with Frost's snowglobe, and weapons i'm not sure what to go with 

any tips on how to do this in solo ? (i beg you not to tell me to join a random squad as i have a strict nat with all ports disabled by my isp)

my only way i can do this is with Frost's snowglobe, and weapons i'm not sure what to go with 

I soloed it with Frost too. You can also use Mag or Trinity to keep the Excavators alive, using Shield Polarize and Blessing respectively.

If you have the correct mods you can use excal with a maxed out build for Radial Blind aswell and you can solo it.

Same goes for Nyx maxed out Chaos build or Rhino maxed out Rhino Stomp build.

These loadouts u gotta focus on range as your main goal and ofc to make them spamable so less cost / less duration.

u can aswell go with nekro terrify but its abit more sketchy the above frames can handle it far better.

I did it with excal because even tho radial blind has duration its a cheap power + u can spam it even if the effect didnt run out yet.

Same goes with Rhino but the power is more expensive.

Nyx works the same but u cant spam it it needs to end its previous cast before u can recast so... depending on your duration that amound of time u cant *chaos* new targets.

Im shure there are other ways aswell but so far i can stay solo till a good 6000 with my excal with no probs.

Didnt really tried higher because it was getting harder and harder and i just go out and in again to not waist too much time there.

I really enjoyed this mission type , it's fun and I daresay better than the equivalent mission in Firefall (of which similarities I'm okay with).

My feedback would be:

- more lore consistency as to why Corpus and Grineer Power Carriers exist other than for our convenience

- Perhaps have its own tier of reward for incentive?

*raises hand*

I have a suggestion...

rather than the excavators dropping down when you get in range, can we get a prompt that asks us if we want to drop one?

This is a vital thing when your scanner keeps showing more and more excavation spots and the enemies you kill drop the energy cores inside another excavation circle, and you cannot pick it up without triggering a second drill to come down. Having a short "hold -Use- key to call down excavator" prompt when standing inside the circle would completely fix this issue.

Besides that, this new gamemode is a lot more fun than some of the earlier ones. Keep it up :D ...I even got a Tranquil Cleave from one of the digsites (tho most of the other rewards were pretty meh, but I assume this is a mixed bag that can contain ANY non-sentinel mod?)

Edited by ScorpDK

^ Agree with that post there. I had a blast with this event, the waves and waves of baddies really amped up the difficulty and sense of urgency. As for the rewards, in the few games I played I ended up with 5 rare fusion cores, a ton of credits and plenty of mods. I like how if your team is good enough you can have 2-3 extractors going at once to really churn out the rewards, yet the slower teams can just focus on 1 and not be punished. Overall well done DE really had a good time with this one.

I second that. Let 3 of them get destroyed and the mission is a fail.

If it would fail the mission because the next wave of enemies pretty much oneshots an extractor it would be very unforgiving... so I think a little room to mess up should be there. As notionphil said... 3 times seems like a good number.

3 is a flipping terrible number. I got over 30k cryotic in the event, and many times people not understanding the dynamic would ACTIVATE extractors and not defend them (or defend a different one)

There seems to be X amount of extractors in the mission. Simply leave it at "IF ALL THE EXTRACTORS" are destroyed, mission fails.

-- LET PLAYERS play as far as they can. Just like defense waves. Don't punish them for teams/pubs THAT WILL MAKE MISTAKES. durrr Like nerfing Angstrum because it was a launcher class... Freakin stupid. 60-110 should be max, not 20 on the sidearm.  I mod games, going on 14 years now, from console to PC. Its all about smoothing things out. Simplicity, Enjoyability, Rewards, smoothing out bugs that should've been already addressed.

BTW all the rewards were crap. Dozens of T1 keys, dozens of parry/reflection, dozens of low-balling credit caches. I miss random mod drops, Rewards in VOID/DEFENSE and stuff need to start increasing in further waves. T4 voids shouldn't consistently offer x5 R5 cores but with each series of waves, it should up to x10, x15 by say wave 35 and x20 by wave 40. It would be rewarding, and players would benefit, with people pulling RISK/REWARD more often and pushing their abilities. Pro groups would team up, and Noobs would delve at the challenge. Progressive rewards are needed.

EVENT WAS REALLY FUN THOUGH. Just had to make sure. <-- This.

Edited by Edgarhighman

Now that the event is over is it possible no longer possible to get cryotic as a resource?

If it is still possible to get will it only be available in the excavation missions once they roll around?

Will it become another elusive void resource perhaps replacing rubedo, as rubedo can be found on multiple other planets?

Am I asking too many questions at the same time?

If not how many is too many?

Insert words here?

?

excavation is a essentially a defense mission but with a lot more defending..

however survival is survival , no matter how unlogical the logic seems and how you can remember every line THE LOTUS says by heart

there are the few idea from excavation that would be cool to add to the survival such as at the start someone picks up a backpack of some sort that is a portable life support and he can only use his sidearm, then there are the lifes support carriers on the enemy that drop life support. Tenno gather up those packs and walk near the life support backpacker dude if the backpacker bleeds then the life support pack is dropped and has to be picked up. (portable excavation)?

That's how i see the survival missions on planets:

Biodome.png

Picture is taken from the game called "Spore". So, we see a city inside that shield globe. Inside this globe there is oxygen, outside the globe there is no oxygen.

Edited by Dante102