Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Meet: Marc T

DE_Adam

Breeding Grounds was an opportunity for us to get dark and gritty when it came to the Infested, and it was something that a lot of you really seemed to enjoy!  Disgusting ooze-slicked walls, tightly cramped corridors, and the twisted warp of a Corpus ship all set the stage for an incredibly atmospheric event.  A lot of work goes into creating such an oppressive atmosphere, but it's our lighting experts that have the pleasure of making more sinister elements of the environment really come to life.

We sat down with Senior Lighting Artist Marc T to talk a little bit about what it takes to light up Warframe's Dark Sectors.  Check out the full interview here, and be sure to let us know what you think.

The breeding grounds event was a well designed mission, all the traps were "interactable" or avoidable, the mission progress was dynamic, the map was easy to navigate and good looking.

Everything seem to been done very well, thus I ask myself why are the derelict maps so hard to navigate and so dark?

Why are arc-traps still a thing, whit no interaction or possibility to avoid like the well designed BG traps?

Edited by 7grims

The breeding grounds event was a well designed mission, all the traps were "interactable" or avoidable, the mission progress was dynamic, the map was easy to navigate and good looking.

Everything seem to been done very well, thus I ask myself why are the derelict maps so hard to navigate and so dark?

Why are arc-traps still a thing, whit no interaction or possibility to avoid like the well designed BG traps?

agreed

Ah! Time for my question to shine!

About lighting & tilesets, us veterans noticed that the current maps are wayyy brighter than what we knew from the past.

Tilesets used to either be like what we have now or get a much darker & immersive atmosphere back then(especially after successful sabotage & infested encounters)! However it seems that all of this is...Gone now.

Examples :

maxresdefault.jpg

warframe5.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION

Warframe.x64-2013-01-11-00-47-03-531.jpg

Infested_Charger.jpg

warframe2013-01-2022-u8kue.png

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/245380-infested-lighting/

This artwork wasn't that far from ingame settings...

warframe.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=

Gameplay footage for more proof :

Update 7 :

Update 13 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMdw0W6ig0

Mr T. is doing an amazing job with lighting (the new tilesets are excellent) but that special mood... It feels like it's gone. We even asked [DE]Skree where it could have been?We hardly ever use our torchlights (exceptions : Earth at night)

Is there any way we may have this brought back to our game?

Edited by unknow99

I have always really liked the lighting in Warframe. There are the stark contrasts between light and dark, and between opposing colors, but it rarely gets in the way of actually playing the game.

I have seen several modern games that go way too extreme with bloom, reflections, or super bright points of light in an otherwise pitch black area. This can make for amazing screenshots, but trying to actually see what is going on while playing is impossible. Here is an example from the game Nexuiz:

20130724052648a0dj9x6htswgllug.jpg

Sure, all that looks great for the screenshot here, but trying to find your targets when half the level is glowing and flashing different colors like that is not easy.

But I have never really had a problem with this in Warframe. Sometimes the color correction effect on a certain level, especially ice levels, can be a bit hard to see through. But other than that, everything looks really nice, while not being blinding.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but I do agree that the graphics are very well done in Warframe, however, there are other issues that exist other then simply the vista. Our eyes have far greater resolution then all the screens in front of us, combine that with the fact that the game overlays massive amounts of extra visuals in the form of ability effects, damage numbers from weapons, over the top flashes from guns ... I was unable to keep all the "pretty" graphics switched on very long because I just could not see anything.

I don't fault this as a problem with the environment, on the contrary, the problem is everything else BUT that, it's what happens after we enter the environment and start polluting it with color that was never meant to be there, like Bright Pink Molecular Primes and solid white Snow Globes.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the ability to tone down the extra pollution that we make as players would be a much needed option to some of us, to allow us to put the graphic settings back up and enjoy the view as it's meant to be. I have practically everything off, brightness on max, etc etc, just in order to tell what I'm actually shooting at half the time, and this makes the level look nothing like the images above.

I have always really liked the lighting in Warframe. There are the stark contrasts between light and dark, and between opposing colors, but it rarely gets in the way of actually playing the game.

I have seen several modern games that go way too extreme with bloom, reflections, or super bright points of light in an otherwise pitch black area. This can make for amazing screenshots, but trying to actually see what is going on while playing is impossible. Here is an example from the game Nexuiz:

20130724052648a0dj9x6htswgllug.jpg

Sure, all that looks great for the screenshot here, but trying to find your targets when half the level is glowing and flashing different colors like that is not easy.

But I have never really had a problem with this in Warframe. Sometimes the color correction effect on a certain level, especially ice levels, can be a bit hard to see through. But other than that, everything looks really nice, while not being blinding.

Not everyone eyesight is the same. We are also not playing under normal conditions. We have to be in a reasonably dark environment, but not too dark so that we strain our eyes, the light and flashes are only coming from the screen, when we exit a mission we will usually move our eyes away from the screen to do something else, like get up to get a drink, go bathroom, etc etc, the lighting changes constantly and some of us that are almost half a century old, no longer have the same eyes of teenagers.

It all adds up.

I can be in "real" dark areas or bright areas, and my eyes are ok, but here, I switch between a bright or dark location, then go to the forums with the stupid default white font on dark background (I have a Firefox addon to mess with that, need to find it again), with a G15 keyboard that lo longer lights keys up properly ... you get the idea ...

eyestrain galore.

This is actually pretty cool to see guys like this. It shows how it takes more than programmers to make a game and all the other people that contribute to make this great game what it is. I think warframe should do more developer interviews and show the whole DE crew and show what they do and how unique it is.

Edited by rotimix3

Ah! Time for my question to shine!

About lighting & tilesets, us veterans noticed that the current maps are wayyy brighter than what we knew from the past.

Tilesets used to either be like what we have now or get a much darker & immersive atmosphere back then(especially after successful sabotage & infested encounters)! However it seems that all of this is...Gone now.

Examples :

*snip*

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/245380-infested-lighting/

This artwork wasn't that far from ingame settings...

Gameplay footage for more proof :

Update 7 :

Update 13 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMdw0W6ig0

Mr T. is doing an amazing job with lighting (the new tilesets are excellent) but that special mood... It feels like it's gone. We even asked [DE]Skree where it could have been?We hardly ever use our torchlights (exceptions : Earth at night)

Is there any way we may have this brought back to our game?

I remember this... Truly wish we still had that darkish atmosphere. We get a bit of it in the Infested areas but not so much anywhere else anymore.

As for the interview, sadly I greatly need sleep but I'll certainly read it tomorrow.

Oh and a second question : would it be possible in the future to shut down lights ourselves?

Ah, that was a fun day when I found out I can blast the lights with Sound Quake. :)

CTEiZrs.jpg

[size=1]Bloom disabled, don't know about the rest any more[/size]

But I agree, there should be more options to play in the dark (maybe even allow us to sneak up on enemies by keeping out of their torchlights). Alas, my thread on that topic has been archived since ... Hey, who turned out the lights?

OH SO ITS MARC T WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ME TAKING HALF MY MISSION TIME TAKIN SNAPSHOTS OF EVERY BAD &#! LOOKIN ANGLE AND OMNI DYNAMIC LIGHTING I SEE....EVERY LOCATION LOOKS SO DAMN GOOD ALL THE DAMN TIME ITS HARD TO KEEP THE DAMN MISSION A PRIORITY.......DAMN GOOD JOB INDEED...LOL

Perfecto me parece muy bien el trabajo que se realiza en warframe en cuanto a la iluminación,, pero .. quiero acotar que la iluminación tiene otra parte muy importante las sombras que se producen por el efecto de la luz sobre los objetos. y quiero proponer que se incorpore la opción gráfica de Oclusión ambiental. esto seria estupendo. genial

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lighting work is excellent in warframe. but I want to say that lighting has another very important part of it ..the shadows produced by the effect of light on objects. and the ambient shadows ... I like to propose that you guys to incorporate Ambient oclusion in tho the game. this would be great. so so great and awesome

• 3 weeks later...

some great information in that interview.

and i've always felt lighting should be used to bring things out, not as a blanket like i've seen in some games. 

lighting everywhere isn't required. lighting should be used sparingly, giving attention to important parts or things that you want the player to be drawn to, or simply creating an atmosphere.

but games most certainly don't need to be - and probably shouldn't be - disco balls. 

night times and other darker environments in all games have always been my goto way of evaluating how well lighting is setup. during day times lighting in games often just overdoes it and ends up in a bright washout. while night times use lighting sparingly, used to mark important things, create accent for the atmosphere, Et Cetera.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to put this here but I don't know were to put this issue most people have. I have played warframe for long amount of time and am tired of having to delete weapons in my inventory just to get new ones, most of my friends have quit the game for this reason, i wish there was a way to get more weapons and warframe slots without have to spend money, like buy slots with in money found in game. If you could fix this issue i might have friends to play with again.

Sorry to put this here but I don't know were to put this issue most people have. I have played warframe for long amount of time and am tired of having to delete weapons in my inventory just to get new ones, most of my friends have quit the game for this reason, i wish there was a way to get more weapons and warframe slots without have to spend money, like buy slots with in money found in game. If you could fix this issue i might have friends to play with again.

Wow... Of all the places, I have no idea why you put it in this thread though. It should be in the feedback section.

You can trade things you've farmed ingame for plat and buy the slots that way. You don't have to actually spend money.