Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seriously, Autoformatting Is Cancer, And Yet We're Expected To Use It.

taiiat

dW7N3GP.png

i'm pretty miffed right now, so, Digital Extremes, your web team atleast - look at this image, and please explain to me how you can just leave things as they are as if WYSIWYG text editors don't suck and always do things wrong.

i try to add a line after the autoformatted quote, and it creates another quote.

there's a million other issues with WYSIWYG editors aside from this one, this is just the issue that got in my way in that specific post, trolling me trying to get me to not want to actually make good posts.

yeah, we've gotten the "we'll think about it" answer to having a partial feature or plain text editor.

i know that all modern Forum Software supports this, IP board being the direct competition against Xenforo for the best Forum Software that exists.

yet, we're forced to deal with this garbage.

i'm trying to not be snarky, but if the web team seriously thinks that WYSIWYG editors are good, i'm looking down on you.

there, i tried to say it in the nicest way possible.

Edit: addendum:

to further hit this point home, look, i'm a wizard, and i used a butchered useless in the modern world browser to force the WYSIWYG Editor to output plain text.

ea7PCY9.png

boom. IP.Board is completely capable of what we're asking for the OPTION to use.

so just do it.

Edit2:

Well at least people can resort to ad-blocking part of the Warframe forums in order to improve their experience.

filter.png

9GAUVQg.png

https://n3g6i3c6.ssl.hwcdn.net/public/js/ips.textEditor.js
Edited by taiiat

This forum software has many, many features disabled, the base supports it, they just have it turned off for some godforsaken reason.  It's such an issue that I actually keep bbcode versions of my large threads in text files on my personal computer in case I need to edit them... because it's the only reasonable way to.

And let's not even get into the horror of trimming and splicing quotes.

The WYSIWYG editor suck if they're gonna keep all of the bbcode features available but hide the icons.

Y'know.. IPBoard actually has a feature that allows us to switch from WYSIWYG editor to raw text at a single click. Why is it not available here?

Edited by Trowicia

I support the OP.

The WYSIWYG editor in this forum is downright awful and worse yet, unavoidable. I'm not an idiot, give me an option to use a plain text editor that lets me use standard BBCode (disable the BBCodes for stuff you don't want if needs-be) because unlike your average computer illiterate person, I actually know BBCode (as do many other gamers).

You can't edit quotes reasonably, you can't splice them, you can't split them, the ONLY thing you can do is copy&paste EVERYTHING you want to quote and type your own quote tags in yourself.

Oh, and using BBCode... THE FORUM SYSTEM FORGETS YOU UNDERLINED SOMETHING if you use the BBCode tags manually rather than clicking the buttons, if you go back and edit your post. Bam. Underlining is gone. You have to use the buttons to underline anything, otherwise the underlining is gone when you edit your post.

I type 80+ WPM; I don't use the buttons because typing {b} and {/b} is faster than reaching to the mouse and clicking the button twice. I find it ridiculously annoying that I am FORCED to use the stupid WYSIWYG buttons so the forum system doesn't forget my formatting whenever I edit (I frequently come up with afterthoughts after I post something; it is just how I am).

This is the only forum system on the internet that I've ever used, that has these kinds of ridiculous problems. I've used forum systems THAT EXISTED PRE-2000 THAT WERE BETTER THAN THIS.

In 2014, there is no freaking excuse for forum software to be this shoddy, bug-laden, and missing key features everybody else has. There's just no call for this and it is one of the things that really turns me off when I try to participate in Warframe's forum community.

Edited by Xylia

I am frankly quite surprised this one still isn't implemented even though it seemed people wanted the functionality.

Can we pretty please get ability to actually see the bbcode to edit instead of this horrendous wysiwyg text field? I would appreciate being able to edit colours, images and quotes properly.

Some forum functionality would be good, it took me a bit to learn all the BBCode.

Agreed, so much pain! It is not proper WYSIWYG either: Every now and then, it looks okay but then spits out garbage on post - and alters the source text to a source text that would actually produce said garbage!

This is due to copying it from bad html, not from the forums fault themselves.

The problem isn't the tags, the problem is that there isn't a way to alter the tags after you've put them in. There's not even a function to clear text of all formatting, this gimp of a text editor only has those four buttons ontop, which don't help terribly much.

I am not sure the colour can be changed afterwards, and you're certainly in for a treat if you copied from somewhere that sets colour and styling to the text as opposed to the page itself. Moreover, the images can only be deleted if you want to alter them, it's easier with quotes since they let you alter the text, but good luck entering new lines outside of them if you didn't put them there from the get-go.

I guess we can thank lotus that whoever wrote this part didn't think of rendering links and spoilers same way.

The post editor leaves a lot to be desired and is fundamentally bugged when dealing with formating that isn't provided on the toolbar....

Want to edit the text that comes before a link? Have fun...

Want to clear formatting automatically parsed by the editor? Impossible...

IP Boards have a more than capable default post editor but for some reason DE has configured it to completely minimal and useless to users who like to format posts correctly.

Edited by kmg90

• 2 weeks later...

I've resorted to typing out my longer posts in Notepad++ and working/saving from there. In addition to the minimalist UI which is a deterrent for less experienced forumgoers and WYSIWYG on post editing (which kills me every time because sometimes what I copy in as BBCode doesn't actually format correctly anyway - especially with ordered lists), something that gets me is the lack of post auto-saving.

This probably isn't a big deal for most people, but when I wrote walls of text before giving up and using Notepad++, I often had the misfortune to left-click on a link to try and find a quote or whatever instead of middle-click, hence losing my work. I know that post auosaving is supported for most other forums I've mingled in, and while it's not as pressing, it killed me every time I backspaced while my finger was on the touchpad or similar.

Please, there are heaps of simple forum QoL improvements that could be implemented, don't handwave this for another month.

• 2 weeks later...

This is due to copying it from bad html, not from the forums fault themselves.

I have this happen even when I don't copy/paste anything (use ctrl+shift+v to paste plaintext, btw). Things like quotes getting extra line returns everywhere, lists getting further spaced out everytime you try to edit them, strange spacing in general, previewing creating bad formatting and editing the source to reflect the new formatting, etc.

I have this happen even when I don't copy/paste anything (use ctrl+shift+v to paste plaintext, btw). Things like quotes getting extra line returns everywhere, lists getting further spaced out everytime you try to edit them, strange spacing in general, previewing creating bad formatting and editing the source to reflect the new formatting, etc.

Agreed here, the forum's WYSIWYG editor is buggy, which causes problems because it's the only editor we're allowed to use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...