Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Second Set Of Warframe Abilities?

Burufokkusu

Just wondering if any of you in the community would rather DE stop pumping out frames for a while and instead do maybe like an abilities 2.0 update in which every frame would have a second set of abilities thus making the total ability count 8 per frame. This would greatly increase the customization of each frame, as well as how they are used instead of the standard 1-4.

A few months back DE made a thread in Design Council for submission of generic warframe ability ideas. So there's that.

There was also talk awhile ago about new frames of similar themes to existing ones but opposite gender(like Ember and Blaze). One of the things said was that they could use each other's ability mods.

Passives are either in the works or in the concept stages right now. Whether that is an indication that there is going to be even further customization to each Warframe, however, remains to be seen.

Passives would be a nice addition. Though if they are passive I feel they should use their own slot instead of the current mod slot.

isn't passive abilites just regular mods like vitality or flow?

There was also talk awhile ago about new frames of similar themes to existing ones but opposite gender(like Ember and Blaze). One of the things said was that they could use each other's ability mods.

I can't say as I would really like that, it would mean more frame slots and farming, also kinda running out of places where their parts would drop.

I think what he meant was more of a passive ability that you can activate or deactivate maybe like turning Rhino's roar into on or off  and constantly drain energy. Or maybe he means something completely different.

I would love to see some interactive passives for specific warframes, like Excal: Every enemy killed increases his damage, sprint speed, attack speed and fire rate  by 1% for 10 seconds, killing another enemy refreshes the buffs and adds a stack, stacks up to 25 times.

or Rhino: Gain % damage reduction for 15 seconds after using an ability, reduction would equal 1/2 the initial energy cost  (before efficiency) of the ability cast. (ex. Charge 12.5% resist, Stomp 50% resist)

I think those would be some fun frame specific passive cards.

Edited by ShadowDragon000

I think passives would be like Zephyr's anti-gravity jumps or Mirage's faster roll, maybe would be nice if they did something a bit more elaborate for each frame.

Edited by NBot

What DE should do is create a system for abilities and skills similar to that of which can be found in Star Wars The Old Republic. In that game, you get active and passive skills. Active skills require you to activate them while passive skills work on their own without the need to press buttons. This would mean that DE will have to add a few more mod slots which can carry mods that we would not normally use like resistance to toxin or cold or stamina regeneration, thus granting better customization to Warframes.

However, this may result in an issue with mod capacity. Do we keep the mod capacity as it is and simply make the second batch of mods run under their system maybe like coolant leak for the Sentinels which doesn't have ranks therefore turning a few mods into non-rankable mods that do not affect the original mod capacity, or increase the amount of levels we need to go through, meaning instead of level 30 being the highest, it would be level 50, and have the new mods tie into the mod capacity system?

I would go with the first choice.

I would love to see some interactive passives for specific warframes, like Excal: Every enemy killed increases his damage, sprint speed, attack speed and fire rate  by 1% for 10 seconds, killing another enemy refreshes the buffs and adds a stack, stacks up to 25 times.

or Rhino: Gain % damage reduction for 15 seconds after using an ability, reduction would equal 1/2 the initial energy cost  (before efficiency) of the ability cast. (ex. Charge 12.5% resist, Stomp 50% resist)

I think those would be some fun frame specific passive cards.

I know this game is kinda of an MMO but passives based on kills seem too much like an MMORPG like one would see in WOW or something.

What DE should do is create a system for abilities and skills similar to that of which can be found in Star Wars The Old Republic. In that game, you get active and passive skills. Active skills require you to activate them while passive skills work on their own without the need to press buttons. This would mean that DE will have to add a few more mod slots which can carry mods that we would not normally use like resistance to toxin or cold or stamina regeneration, thus granting better customization to Warframes.

However, this may result in an issue with mod capacity. Do we keep the mod capacity as it is and simply make the second batch of mods run under their system maybe like coolant leak for the Sentinels which doesn't have ranks therefore turning a few mods into non-rankable mods that do not affect the original mod capacity, or increase the amount of levels we need to go through, meaning instead of level 30 being the highest, it would be level 50, and have the new mods tie into the mod capacity system?

I would go with the first choice.

Before Mods 2.0 came out that was very similar to what we had. With each frame and weapon there was a set skill tree in which you would get 1 skill point per level to spend. I do kind of miss the skill tree but this mod system that we have now has so much more potential than what it is currently at.

Warframes are weapons. While I agree that warframes should be more customizable, I think people should be forced to tie into certain abilities as well as stats when choosing a warframe. For instance, there is no point in using a loki if you not in it for his abilities, a Rhino though has very tanky stats and may be desirable without any abilities at all. Surely the significance of these decisions is side lined if you allowed to remove a warframes abilities entirely?

Personally I feel that warframes should be forced to equip all 4 abilities, WITH A CATCH. The mod slots which house warframe abilities should be ingrained with those abilities - so instead of putting a skill mod into a generic slot, skill modification mods should be placed into slots representing each of the warframe's abilities.

So something like this:

Instead of 10 normal mod slots and a reserved aura slot, you'd now have 7 normal mod slots, 4 reserved skill slots and a reserved aura slot. The normal mod slots and the reserved aura slot would behave like they currently do. The reserved skill modification slots would unlock on every seventh warframe level (0,7,14 and 21) and on unlocking would allow your warframe to use it's abilities without putting any skill modification mods into those mod slots. The new skill modification mods would be a new type of mod with two important characteristics:

1) They would only affect the warframe skills associated with the skill modification slot they were placed into.

2) Only one of each skill modification mod would be allowed on a warframe at a time.

This would allow some exotic customization of individual skills and as the pros and cons of each skill modification mod would be confined to a single skill, their effects could be extremely exotic. Take these for example and tell me if any of your previously unused skills would be attractive with these mods attached to them and them alone:

- [Add seconds to the skill's cooldown equal to the skill's energy cost. This skill no longer uses energy]

- [increase the damage of this skill by 50%. Movement speed slowed by 50% for 5 seconds after use]

- [This skill's Status procs always proc. Decrease damage by 50%]

- [Killing an enemy increases the power and range of this skill by 5% the next time it is cast. Stacks up to 25 times. Enemies killed by this skill do not give charges. +25 to skill cost up to max of 100]

- [ect.]

Obviously some people would be upset that they could now only have 7 normal mods max instead of 10. As an allowance for these builds, there would be a range of skill modification mods which deactivated the mods they were assigned to and provided a normal mod bonus instead. However the potency of these mods would be determined by the skill they deactivated. This would mean that deactivating your weakest skill would give very small stat boosts, the second skill a slightly below average boost, the third skill a slightly above average boost and your prime skill a large boost. For example:

- [Gain varying power intensity based on the skill deactivated: 15% for skill 1, 25% for skill 2, 35% for skill 3 or 45% for the prime skill]

- [Gain varying movement speed based on the skill deactivated: 10% for skill 1, 15% for skill 2, 20% for skill 3 or 25% for the prime skill]

This would mean that for better or worse, people would be stuck with the tactical viability of all a warframe's abilities. Removing the weak skills would net little gain and removing the prime skill would make the warframes far less desirable. Plus, this would hopefully give people far more interesting descisions to play around with - and developers a platform to give crazy mod effects to individual skills.

(And as I side note I don't claim these numbers are properly balanced. Take the concepts, calculate the numbers yourself)