Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Let Us See The Ping Of Our Squad (Or Atleast Our Own).

Lactamid

I'm on a slow comp, sometimes this works fine but other times it's hell. Setting up to play a game with 3 others, talking about how to play a mission and getting into it before finally heading out...20 min of time and then POOF!

DC:ed. I've lowered the ping to 150 from 300 but this doesn't do anything we teaming up with manually selected players.

On rejoin I spawned outside the map and had to abort and rejoin. The second time I tried to revive and when I had done so...host migration and dc.

I have no more lives left on my warframe now so I'll have to wait untill tomorrow. It's fine for me, but I also waisted 3 other peoples time. I did not know if it would work or not, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Could there be some way of testing this before hand? Is it the connection that is the problem or is it the specs of my comp just sucking too damn hard. Why does it work so well sometimes?

Also, spawning outside the map and dying is really really bad. Requiring revives for this is just...well I can't say anything pleasant about it so I'll move on.

I'm not angry, I just wish there was a better way. I'm also a tiny bit worried that people will just be fed up with players like me and just never play with a player that may or may not dc at any given moment due to some unforseen factor.

TL:DR

Could we get to see ping of players in squad? (EDIT: Maybe just our own ping? as other players may "kick" (remake party or leave) if they see players "not living up to their standards" - Noveltyhero)

Could there be a pre-test of connection to estimate stability?

Could deaths outside map please not require revives.

Edited by Lactamid

I can see that being bad and provoke a lot of the bad players to be bad even more, however it would be nice to be able to see our own personal ping. That way we decide if we want to play with the same people again, if we are friends we will share that anyway but otherwise I won't be harrased by somebody who thinks he is a high lord.

People might even leave a lot of matches (especially when they know they are the host), just because

So I will go with no on that one :/

Am I wrong thinking that the ping actually depends on the quantity of data transfered ? (number of players and number of enemies)

If so, there might be a way to "simulate" a heavy data transfer during ping evaluation ?

Maybe it's already the case although we don't see it ?

Anyway, I see that the OP does try to bring ideas and cares about other players' experience, despite the frustration. +1

I can see that being bad and provoke a lot of the bad players to be bad even more, however it would be nice to be able to see our own personal ping. That way we decide if we want to play with the same people again, if we are friends we will share that anyway but otherwise I won't be harrased by somebody who thinks he is a high lord.

People might even leave a lot of matches (especially when they know they are the host), just because

So I will go with no on that one :/

Good point, that would probably suffice. Some way of getting a heads up on the likely outcome of the future game would be nice.

Seeing active ping in a squad would actually be a lot of help, believe it or not.

We can apply this to PS4 as well, so I'm moving this to General Feedback.

The "abuse-factor" as mentioned by Noveltyhero will probably play into this though. Will have to be taken into considderation.

Am I wrong thinking that the ping actually depends on the quantity of data transfered ? (number of players and number of enemies)

If so, there might be a way to "simulate" a heavy data transfer during ping evaluation ?

Anyway, I see that the OP does try to bring ideas and cares about other players' experience, despite the frustration. +1

As far as I know doing the normal cmd - ping send a package (amount of data) to a location and waits for the answer - measures the response time and possible data lost (package loss).

There probably is some sort of matchmaking wizardry going on in the background, but it really feels like this is canceled out when selecting players manually.

It does not depend on it on a technical level, however you are correct in that a lot of data transfer can slow down ping response time if the network is currently overloaded and some things have to be queued (because obviously then the response is artificially delayed).

Given the P2P nature of Warframe missions, ping values would be useful... but the question is whether to display them relative to you or relative to the host?  Also how should they be refreshed, will the host be noted in-game with an icon or something according to this?

Unfortunately given DE's relative lack of touching hosting (voting, opt-out, marking, etc.) I doubt we'll see this.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Rydian

As far as I know doing the normal cmd - ping send a package (amount of data) to a location and waits for the answer - measures the response time and possible data lost (package loss).

There probably is some sort of matchmaking wizardry going on in the background, but it really feels like this is canceled out when selecting players manually.

When being invited to a game, the amount of ping you have to that game is completely ignored, despite the ping limit you set.