Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe Homophobic?

PlacentaPeanut

So, this may be deleted if it is true but I beleive that the Warframe admins are homophobic. The reason that I think this is because of an incident that happened in region chat about 15 minutes ago.

People were having a stupid conversation and one guy said the word gay in his message. I do not mean he called someone gay or said anything offensive. He simply used the word gay. I immidiately got kicked. I saw this and was kind of confused. So I asked why he got kicked and was given the resonse from someone "He used the G word.". This made me even more confused. I responded with "Gay is not a bad word." and I was immediately kicked. I had never been kicked from the chat so I didn't really know what happened. I left the game and came back and just asked "Do the admins really think that gay is a bad word?". I was then kicked a second time.

This brings me to now. I figured since I clearly can't ask a question or make a statement that has no offensive meaning whatsoever if it includes the word gay. I am not a gay man but I do have several friends that are, and I have always supported the Gay Rights movement. I would sincerely like to know what happened here. Thinking that the word gay is a bad word is extremely homophobic. Warframe, you have really dissapointed me here and I expect this to change. People saying the word gay in a non-offensive manner is no cause to kick them or show them any disciplinary action.

I truly wish to be contacted by an admin about this. Whether it be on this post or through my email linked to my account, I do not care. To help that conversation start, I would greatly appreciate any people that read this to either repost it or post about it on their own. If you post it on your own I would appreciate a link to this post so I can follow the conversation. Thank you for reading everyone and have a great day.

- PlacentaPeanut/Randall

Homosexual isn't bannable, its the Slang for Homosexual that is.

Just say the correct word instead of the slang and you will be fine. The DE isn't homophobic they are just safe and don't want 1000s of reports because someone called someone else a ****** < Those are stars not Homophobic words. -.-.

Most people use the term gay as a offensive term, even though it means happy. Sorta like how $&*#^% is suppose to be a very offensive way of saying homosexual but actually means a bundle of sticks. Not really homophobic, just trying to keep the peace I guess.

Edited by Rakshal

It doesn't have to do with any homophobia, the admins are bots, they kick automatically when some word is used, gay is one of them, and for the reasons you may have seen those PSA commercials

Gay isn't really used as it should be in society anymore, it's used as an insult, that's why it's banned from the list of words that can be used

Edited by SgtFlex

The word Gay and Lesbian used to be starred out because of their slang meanings.

That ended up being worse than the words themselves so they removed this.

I really don't know how to handle situations like that, where a word can be the most innocent or the most offensive thing.

I can assure you that DE holds no grudge against any orientation.

That would depend on the context, if they weren't saying it in an offensive manner, then why did they say it? Surely they didn't just randomly type the word 'gay' for no reason. Otherwise it could've also been a misunderstanding, when the word is commonly used for derogatory purposes I guess one can't be too careful. :/

The word Gay and Lesbian used to be starred out because of their slang meanings.

That ended up being worse than the words themselves so they removed this.

I really don't know how to handle situations like that, where a word can be the most innocent or the most offensive thing.

I can assure you that DE holds no grudge against any orientation.

Wut?  If I say, "That is so gay, " that is not a derogatory slur against homosexuals. Or is there another usage that I am unaware of?

Wut?  If I say, "That is so gay, " that is not a derogatory slur against homosexuals. Or is there another usage that I am unaware of?

What if the entire population of teenagers used your name as an adjective of something they don't like?

This speaks to a much broader issue, that of the impossible task of political correctness ... which is neither political nor correct

The famous comedian Lenny Bruce broke racial and ethnic barriers by being blatantly "politically INcorrect" ...

He made fun of everyone

His genius was to show how absurd such divisions are by making us laugh at ourselves

It is sad to think how Lenny Bruce would be shunned by the lack of humor that exists in the world today

The real problem is much bigger than the existence of insensitivity or discrimination or intolerance

It is that inconsistency abounds ...

Rappers use derogatory and deprecating labels but still make millions

If anything else, DE has demonstrated itself to be consistent and balanced - they really try to be fair to all

It is explicitly stated in the Forum FAQ ...

The missing piece in this instance is a SPECIFIC EXPLAINATION of what wasn't acceptable

For there to be consistency, it has to be transparent

Moreover, the world needs to light up and laugh at itself ... often

Edited by ElHefe

Yes, you find the word beer offensive and you would be flattered that your name will forever be associated with a negative connotation. You are being totally sincere. Yes.

My name didn't beat my aunt and cousins, and nearly kill a teenage girl then leave her in a crashed car on the side of a road.

And knowing that I was so influential that an entire generation knew my name and used it constantly as an adjective, for anything, would indeed be flattering.

Is this thread for real? Even is anyone at DE didn't like Gay and or Lesbian individuals it would be irrelevant as it would be suicide to discriminate. Also, it's a bot not an actual person and it kicks based on key words, try typing WTB in region, does that mean they don't want you buying things? You could have figured this out on your own with a little critical thinking instead of making a flamebait post. Let's use our ability to reason People