Invasion Rework/feedback (It's Broken And You Know It) +New Game Mode, Clan-Faction/alliance Alliances (Dark Sector-Ish)

Aktriaz

I made a post much like this a while back, soon after the G3 were released I got fed up with the rigged battle pay that started to show up, to compensate the Grineer's decline in the system, much like the Corpus were when the Harvester was added.

So, without further adieu, lets get to the ideas.

First, to fix Invasion:

1. Remove Harvester/G3 deathmarks from Invasion. It. doesn't. work. It's absurd you should be rewarded by the faction you are curb-stomping. Move them to be a mini-boss on defense or survival, or even just work like the stalker, via their respective factions.

2. Equal battlepay. No blatant rigging like "35k vs. 25k" or "Forma vs. 1 Orokin Cell", only ever equal battlepay. Stuff like "Detonite Injector vs. Fieldron" is okay, being of the exact same value."Choosing a side" should actually be about actually choosing a side, rather than the size of the cookie you get after. If someone offered you a single raisin or a chocolate-chip cookie, what would you pick?

Now to Improve Invasion:

Infiltration Gamemode

When a faction seizes control over a node, ~three days later a "counter invasion" will pop up, prompting a new mission type called "Infiltration."

The original faction will attempt to retake control of their own territory, with the assistance of Tenno. However, if you sided with the invaders, you will not be able to do this mission. Instead they will see the normal mission. The rewards will be a bit lower than normal battlepay, but still have a chance of offering Forma, Potatos, etc. This way, even if you side with a losing faction, you can still get something out of it, not to mention the "alliance" thing I'm going to add.

Now for the actually mission: A bit like Rescue and Exterminate, with a bit of Deception. The Tenno will have to disable the defense systems of the ship/base they are boarding, making way for the original faction of the node.

It will add one tile, the Defense Control room. While the Tenno doesn't need to stealth the whole way, if they are seen in the Defense Control room and an alarm is sounded, the mission will fail. If the Tenno succeeds in disabling the Defense Systems without being seen, the original faction will start to spawn across the map, to assist you in your next objective; Exterminate.

Otherwise, it will work much like normal Invasion, each mission pushing closer to overall success, BUT, there is no mission to combat it, i.e., there's only one side. Think Infested invasion.

Faction-Clan/Alliance alliances (affects Darks Sectors externally, not in game.)

This is just a quick little idea.. What if a faction is happy that your Clan/Alliance is siding with them on invasions, they feel nice enough to help you in your own fight. (I personally don't care much for the Dark Sectors, nor do I play on them, so if something here sounds a little game breaking let me know.)

I'm thinking the faction you have a alliance with could give your clan/alliance a handicap out of game, like Corpus giving you some extra credits for battlepay, or Grineer reducing the cost of rails. These numbers would likely be small, but enough to want the bonus. Obviously, you can only have one, and only if the clan has a decently large number of invasion mission completed in their favor, scaling with the amount of clan members. (Like overall missions completed needs a ratio of 2-to-1 to benefit from this bonus. Missions completed before this is added would not count, for obvious reasons.)

----------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think. The few people that posted on my old thread really liked the fixes I suggested for Invasion, and the Infiltration game mode, but feel free to critique my ideas if you see problems. Knowledge grows when it is shared.

Edited by Actriaz

Yes, oh please god, YES. A rework of Invasions and removal of G3 and Harvester marks is definitely needed. Rewards completely unbalance the system and players wishing to get Brakk or Detron do as well. The Infiltration game mode sounds excellent. Invasion as it is now is completely and utterly broken. I don't romp among DS Conflict or Alliances in general so input there would be left to others.

Edit: Not to mention how boring and lackluster the "Invasions" are. Exterminations get tedious faster than anything in the game even if you're trying for something of value such as a Potato or Forma. It's just not fun, DE really needs to step up their idea for new game modes instead of slapping Extermination on everything and expecting it to be fine. Invasion died quickly because no one payed any attention to adding something worth playing.

Edited by GrizzlyBear

2. Equal battlepay. No blatant rigging like "35k vs. 25k" or "Forma vs. 1 Orokin Cell", only ever equal battlepay. Stuff like "Detonite Injector vs. Fieldron" is okay, being of the exact same value."Choosing a side" should actually be about actually choosing a side, rather than the size of the cookie you get after. If someone offered you a single raisin or a chocolate-chip cookie, what would you pick?

I sort of disagree with this on the grounds that lore-wise it does not make sense. The rewards should be of roughly equal value, but Corpus should be much more likely to give credits while Grineer should be more likely to give rare resources. An example of this is that if Grineer are offering a Det. Injector Corpus should offer either a Fieldron or 35k credits (a DI costs 30K and a control module). The reward system needs to be smarter and more lore-friendly, not totally identical.

As for the infiltration game mode, I don't like that it essentially makes all invasion captures only last three days. The whole point of invasions was to allow the players to have a lasting impact on the system. Take (pre-revert) Ceres for example, a group of players decided to take Ceres for the Corpus, so they provided massive support to the Corpus, taking nearly the whole planet. A choice was made, and that group of players made an impact on the game world as a whole. Of course, all nodes then got reverted when switching to the new map layout, so that impact was lost.

I like the mission concept, but I feel it would be more suited to coming with proxy wars (whenever that shows up). If the invading faction likes you they contract you to make way for their invasion, giving the infiltration gamemode before the actual invasion. This would be a good way to give small, systematic rewards for faction loyalty. If the player is constantly playing both sides these missions are not available from either side.

To be clear, I agree with the overall idea of your changes, and I agree that things need to change. I just disagree with some of the specifics.

Edited by egregiousRac

I sort of disagree with this on the grounds that lore-wise it does not make sense. The rewards should be of roughly equal value, but Corpus should be much more likely to give credits while Grineer should be more likely to give rare resources. An example of this is that if Grineer are offering a Det. Injector Corpus should offer either a Fieldron or 35k credits (a DI costs 30K and a control module). The reward system needs to be smarter and more lore-friendly, not totally identical.

As for the infiltration game mode, I don't like that it essentially makes all invasion captures only last three days. The whole point of invasions was to allow the players to have a lasting impact on the system. Take (pre-revert) Ceres for example, a group of players decided to take Ceres for the Corpus, so they provided massive support to the Corpus, taking nearly the whole planet. A choice was made, and that group of players made an impact on the game world as a whole. Of course, all nodes then got reverted when switching to the new map layout, so that impact was lost.

I like the mission concept, but I feel it would be more suited to coming with proxy wars (whenever that shows up). If the invading faction likes you they contract you to make way for their invasion, giving the infiltration gamemode before the actual invasion. This would be a good way to give small, systematic rewards for faction loyalty. If the player is constantly playing both sides these missions are not available from either side.

To be clear, I agree with the overall idea of your changes, and I agree that things need to change. I just disagree with some of the specifics.

Thank you for your input, and I can see where you're coming from, but I'm staying true to the "equal battlepay."

Much in the lore is still to be concluded, and it wouldn't be any more valid if I were to say that "Corpus should be stingy with their credits". I chose to make battle pay semi-mirrored because invasion (imo) should be about which faction YOU WANT to side with.

In a gameplay-focused game, mechanics > lore/story.

The "counter invasion" thing is to stop one faction from potentially dominating the entire system, and people farming for Vay Hek felt the brunt of this effect as the only place that spawns Prosecutors was flooded with Corpus Invasions. While I can let this one go, I know that the playerbase should not be handed complete control over a game's world, and I'm sure DE has realized it too.

Also, I was not aware of the "proxy wars" thing. I heard it mentioned in a Devstream a while back, but have not heard from it in a while. Is it even still going to happen?