Games You Think De Should Play To Get Ideas

Xievie

I've been around Warframe for about a year now and I've definitely had great fun. The gameplay is fun and it feels great to finally be powerful and taking down enemies, those that once gave me so much trouble, in only a few shots with my min/maxed weapon.

It's really fun and all, but I often feel like Warframe is missing something that other games may have. I looked at many other games and often realized "Warframe would be really cool if it had something like this".

Give me your thoughts: are there any games you think DE could learn from to improve their game?

inspiration games? uhh.... all of them? :D

there's a lot. there's good ideas to be found all over the place. i can't think of anything in particular off the top of my head though. maybe i'll remember to write down good ideas that could be borrowed. maybe.

The nice thing about Warframe is it dosnt user other games ideas.

impossible. every game since the beginning of time has been borrowing ideas from each other.

and this is by no means necessarily a bad thing.

The nice thing about Warframe is it dosnt user other games ideas. So errr no, please.

Evrything is a reference of reference unless you magically get to year 1600 and start to invent everything.

Edited by Dasmir

Lost Planet. The whole series. giant monsters and cool weapons that aren't "out there" in design.

Next I would say GunZ: The Duel and S4 League. Yes, both of them. The glitchiness isnt what I want them to consider, but rather what animation cancels can do to enhance the experience of your game. Games aren't meant to be realistic. Trying to tie in real-life limitations into your game is only going to turn your game into a bore.

Now as for melee, the Devil May Cry series would be amazing, but I would just as happily go with something like Dragon Nest / Continent of the Ninth.

Not gonna comment on stealth. The only "Stealth" game I enjoy is Sly Cooper lul.

Well, I can't think of any games that have a superb elemental combo system, otherwise I'd recommend that they play a lot of those games.

Enemy behaviors in Borderlands 2 are awesome. Dodging Leapers are a good start in that direction, but Warframe still doesn't match the immense dynamism that BL2 enemies possess. Eximi and new Ancient auras don't count.

I don't think loadout customization should be more like any other game. Mod cards are nicely cemented in Warframe Territory now, and I want to see them grow and be used in more creative ways to promote build variety, not become like every other shooter.

I haven't seen a game with a more favorable alternative to alerts, so again, they're pioneering new ground there. I like that better than having to shell out for helms and auras.

Monetization is fine, although the way the market is set up is rather misleading in a number of ways. Being able to trade with other players for the premium currency is awesome, so again, ahead of the competition.

Melee needs to flow a lot better into the rest of combat. I defer to other posters, as I'm not big into those sorts of games.

I probably should have included this in my opening post, but I think DE should check out WoW (it's progression system, bosses, and endgame were outstanding in my opinion), Vindictus (bosses, melee, progression), and maybe Dark Souls (because those fights seem fair compared to what we have in Warframe, where you either annihilate a boss or get destroyed).

The nice thing about Warframe is it dosnt user other games ideas. So errr no, please.

I doubt you can prove that to be true. Even so, it's not like getting ideas from other games is a bad thing. 

Between two brothers, the younger had potential to be wiser. If the eldest touches a candle fire and burns themselves, then the younger will know what not to do. You know, borrowing ideas from what we observe in others is how we have gotten to the point we have in technology and knowledge.

If DE could borrow great ideas, and shape them to be even greater, we could get some great stuff in the game.

Some aspects of Vindictus' gameplay could be looked at (combat-specific for melee). In addition, games like Metal Gear Solid and Rising could be looked at as well. 

Oh man, Vindictus was one I would definitely love DE to play and see if they can pick out anything useful from. While there are some crappy things (like Vindictus being even more tedious in terms of RNG then Warframe, which has an already crappy RNG system) in Vindictus, I could hope that DE notices some great things. 

I also loved the break-offs in Vindictus, so seeing similar in Warframe would actually be pretty cool.

Melee wise: Vindictus, those combos feel fluid and feel a lot better to pull off at times plus some are used as animation cancels which WF needs a few of.....But damn I want a good GreatSword like the one Hurk uses.....so good

Another Vindictus? Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew it existed.

Indeed the melee system was amazing. For anyone who doesn't know, Vindictus ran on a system with both "normal" (L) and "smash" ® attacks. You can basically say Smashes were combo finishers. Each one had it's own use.

Spear Lann's LLR was great for getting in a tiny bit of damage when you couldn't fit any more between a boss' fast attack speed, and his LLLR had (formerly) the best damage output in the game.

Scythe Evie's smashes allowed you to put different debuffs on the enemies, and you could even stack them.

Currently, the melee system feels a bit useless and some combos are even pointless. I'd rather have ugly combos that have a use rather than fancy combos that did absolutely nothing for you in combat.

Sadly, I agree, but this is mostly in reference to their skill tree.

I would like focus to run similar to that.

(If they could begin to balance PvP off their system as well, kudos.)

Is Destiny really that great? I didn't get a chance to play it cause I don't have a PS4 (PC Destiny is a looonnng ways from now). Thought, I would really like DE to look into other games and get some player feedback rather than making focus all by themselves, cause melee it feels like they made melee 2.0 all by themselves and didn't know what they were doing, so just threw everything they could together to make it look cool but still have some issues.

while its not a game that ever got made i recall reading an article on ign that talked about a developers game that never got made that had concepts that would have been an incredible addition, side project for warframe. the characters in the game functioned in a style similar to warframe with the focus on melee and gun combat. except the main focus was on possible week to month long massive boss fights on planets. i regret that i cant remember the name of the studio that came up with the idea, but just thinking outloud, it'd be awesome if warframe could have a mode like this.

imagine this, the resistance groups have finally gained a a massive foothold in the war against the enemy factions of the system. they now have a renewed supply of tecnology and so they use it to create better soilders to fight. taking inspirations from their tenno saviors they develop robotic exosuits and train themselves in the way of gun and blade. though they lack the abilities of the tenno, they are now suit for full on war to retake the colonies outside the origin system. as a seperate mode in warframe you control a new resisance fighter for whatever faction you chose and fight on massive maps  with many other players againt armies over many weeks. they could even introduce fights against the enemies giant machines of war like grinner tanks, giant corpus mecha spiders, or world consuming infested monsters.

Edited by Ether_SolRac

Some of the ideas have come from the Unreal tournament series they worked on. To say they haven't used ideas from other places would be a lie.

Take Zephyr for example; started as a player's idea then DE modified it so far that it is barely recognizable to the original artwork.

I've been around Warframe for about a year now and I've definitely had great fun. The gameplay is fun and it feels great to finally be powerful and taking down enemies, those that once gave me so much trouble, in only a few shots with my min/maxed weapon.

It's really fun and all, but I often feel like Warframe is missing something that other games may have. I looked at many other games and often realized "Warframe would be really cool if it had something like this".

Give me your thoughts: are there any games you think DE could learn from to improve their game?

I think the idea of "folding" weapons (like mass effect). It would help us to seem more ninja as we are not carrying massive weapons around. It could fix a lot of clipping issues as the guns and blades are smaller they won't clip through the warframe or another weapon. Besides this we have massive weapons that stick over our shoulders obscuring our third person view this could also be stopped by "foldable" weapons.

Any war game. So far we have all these nice tilesets and someone doing something evil on them. What we don't have is war torn area somewhere that has been afflicted by this war. Sure we have "invasions" which is just ship to ship battle but we don't see or have an actual war zone tileset.

Why we would be in that war zone is the same reason we would be anywhere else; someone to kill, group of people to exterminate, sabotage enemies equipment  etc.

Edited by Postal_pat

When it comes down to mêlée. PS3 Afro samurai is a great example of good mêlée. Being able to slow time to choose where you want to chop. That would be great.

As of now. You can't even look down the stairs at an enemy, putting your curser over its head, take a swipe to even hit them (rare that you can).

I don't PvP, but I think if DE added a bigger map, with more people able to play.  Weather it be 20v20 or 100 FFA, something similar to ZMR, CoD, and Halo.  That would be nice.  That would probably make me play PvP more.  As PvP stand right now, it is not that fun.  More people, bigger map equals more fun.