Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Balance Idea

at35z

Hi there,

Fist of all, I think everyone has to agree that Rhino is the "easy mode" of Warframe.

He has great damaging and self-defending abilities, as well as great armor, shield and health values.

Tons of people argue on that the game is too easy. Why? Because Rhino is easy. I barely see a person in the game who does not have the Rhino warframe. I'm not saying it's bad for the game, but it's bad for the gameplay experience. They just press 2 immediately after joining, and press 4 when there are enemies nearby and win the game. Then they go to the forums complaining that the game is too easy.

I think one or more of the following should be done in order to improve experience and reduce the number of Rhinos.

- He's the only rank-locked warframe. His lock is at Rank 2. This should be increased. (4-5-6 maybe?) Now Rank 12 can easily be achieved and this requirement has been there since the lauch of the game. (Or at least Open Beta.)

- Iron Skin energy cost should be increased. This wouldn't remove the possibility to use Fleeting Experise and Streamline at the same time, but still increases the cost. This ability doesn't depend on time after all.

- Move Rhino to somewhere else. He's currently obtainable on Venus, the second planet the player will be fighing on. The second boss (and the first one if we count only those who give warframe component blueprints) the player will fight is the Jackal. Mr. Player gets his first Rhino part blueprint and wonders what can it be used for. He checks it and finds out that this is requried to build the fantastic Rhino warframe. Mr Player can't wait to build it. After Rank 2 - which for he has only rank up some weapons - he claims his Rhino and enjoys the Easy mode ever after. I think Rhino is too strong to be the first one the player meets. Unless there is a specific lore reason why he's there, I think this can be done easily.

The reason that Rhino is mastery locked is (afaik) that DE wants players to work with their starting choice for a while as they get used to the game. It can be argued (and a pretty solid point made) that Oberon is the first frame that can be farmed since you will inevitably get Eximus enemies spawning through out Mercury and Venus. 

What if Rhino Stomp would work only in direction where Rhino is facing. Say 90 degree angle. Angle could be affected by range mods, but should not reach 180 degree. Time enemies are suspended in air should be decreased and affected by duration mods. This way team of Rhinos would need more coordination to perma-lock entire map.

As for Iron Skin, show its hitpoints under ability icon. This way newbies won't get ilusion of invincibilaty and will learn to preserve their health.

Well just because people argue that rhino makes the game easy doesn't make them correct and using that as a platform to look at balance is also incorrect.

Yes Rhino is a very forgiving warframe gameplay wise which can make lower skilled players a little buffer, however warframe is easy regardless of Rhinos existence at all making him not the problem.  I bet a large majority of veteran players don't even use him often for higher end content (I at least rarely use him unless I'm just messing around), simply because there are other frames that are better.  If I'm going to solo T4 void, Rhino isn't the first warframe on my list to think about using for the task.

Personally, the only change I think Rhino deserves is showing the hit points of iron skin. Newer players need to get used to the fact that Rhino doesn't equal god mode. Maybe to earlier levels, but we pretty much pass through that phase pretty quickly. Once they reach Saturn or maybe even Jupiter, a huge slap across the face is taken when they realize that iron skin just won't cut it during high levels. It's a good mistake protector, but it's not an idiot-proof skill.

Master locks aren't fixes, they are bandaids.

Making it so new players arent immune to everything the enemy can throw at them until they leave the start chart is a band aid?

Sounds like a solution to me

They can learn the game before ignoring near every enemy mechanic

rhino doesnt need a nerf hes fine as he is. what needs a nerf is stuff that ruins or breaks the game like in dark sector where people spam powers:

hysteria: invinsibility needs to get replaced with a vampire kind of power

bladestorm: ash shootable during bladestorm

prisim(im also a mirage player): just take that out of conflcit fights

mag pull:just humiliating when you get knocked down and shot with boltor prime to death

etc

Rhino is on venus because he is meant for newer players. Rhino endgame isn't as good as many other frames.

Edit: Iron skin's cost should not be increased. Even when you get to level 40 enemies, it doesn't last at all.

Edited by SYLUX6574

Rhino is on venus because he is meant for newer players. Rhino endgame isn't as good as many other frames.

Edit: Iron skin's cost should not be increased. Even when you get to level 40 enemies, it doesn't last at all.

Honestly i find that rhinos 3 and 4 carry him through end game

Power scaling is always well recived

Though in extreme missions (50+ endless) he has only stomp and natural tankiness

EDIT

Though stacking Roar with scaling powers can be pretty nasty still

Edited by Azawarau