Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wraith Or Prime? (Latron)

Jeetza

Yes, I know there is a mega-thread, but I just wanted to know which one I should use. I've heard the Wraith can achieve more DPS than the Prime and that the Wraith's crit makes it stand above the Prime. Which one is truly better? I have been pretty impressed with my wraith hitting for around 6k with it's decent fire rate, so IDK if the Prime will even stand up. That's my opinion of the two, what's yours? (note, this isn't about if either should be buffed, or are not strong enough, just which one you think is better and why)

They are both perfectly viable for 40+ minutes in T4 so it does not matter.

100% True.

Actually I was comparing them this afternoon and yes, the Wraith achieves more DPS, but the difference is not that big. I have the Prime fully formaed/potatoed and the difference is not big enough to make me go and throw 3 formas again on almost the same weapon.

Yeah, I can't go back to the prime version. The high crit chance and insignificantly lower status chance gives it the upper edge in terms of viability. Aesthetically,  I hate the wraith paint job, the model itself looks much better.

I would give the Prime version more versatility though, since crit builds isn't really a big deal.

So the general opinion of the two is that the Wraith is slightly better, but the difference isn't large enough to be a big deal. So in the end it just comes down to aesthetics and the more useful fire rate of the wraith (also, free potato and silent)

Edited by Jeetza

Personally my feeling is that if you like rapid-firing your Latron and using it as a battle rifle, then go for the Prime.  The significantly higher base damage will mean more.  If you like using your Latron as a stand-in sniper rifle, go for the Wraith. The significantly higher crit performance will make head shots hit like a truck.

So the general opinion of the two is that the Wraith is slightly better, but the difference is large enough to be a big deal. So in the end it just comes down to aesthetics and the more useful fire rate of the wraith (also, free potato)

If you don't have the prime, then go for the wraith without any doubt, it is superior.

If you don't have the prime, then go for the wraith without any doubt, it is superior.

The Prime just became available to me, and I had just leveled my Wraith to 30, which was why I created this thread. BTW, thanks for all the useful information everyone.

I have finished testing both as of 2 days ago actually. Here are a few factors to consider:

Prime:

It's shiny

- It has a horrid (to some) firing sound

- Its crit rate means you see normal shots (non-crits) very often.

- It is very viable for head-shots with a lower recoil than the wraith.

- No reload cancel (unless this was changed back to normal)

- GREAT status chance, excellent for proc'ing

- Not advised for use against the Grineer due to lack of 4 elements combo for viral. (you can reduce crit damage to get your 4 elements, but I prefer to use Boltor Prime against grineer because I can even get a Bane mod on there).

Wraith:

- It's bad-@$$

- It's exclusive :c

- NICE firing sound

- Its crit rate means you see MOSTLY crits. Normal shots are a rarity and that to me is Epic, it means you're doing your full damage around 75% of the time (I calculated this by expending a magazine and counting the normal shots. 62.5% is a slight under-statement if you're a luckier person). This is in comparison to the Latron Prime around 50% of the time.

- Lower base damage (non-crit shots do practically nothing)

- Faster fire rate (which is actually bad for a DMR)

- Slightly higher recoil (repeated headshotting is a problem unlike with zee Latron Prime)

- Status proc is lower than the Latron Prime so it is actually less viable to go for status (sad face). This can be quite a problem because the Latron Prime was already functioning on its base status and is STILL better than Latron Wraith.

- Has a reload cancel at 75%

So these are the pros and cons of both weapons. If you want my honest opinion:

- Prime wins out in an overall sense because of how easy it is to just headshot a mo-fo. Compared to the Wraith which can make repeated head-shotting a problem.

- That said my personal preference is for the Wraith because of the reliability of the crits and the fact that I can't always hit a headshot repeatedly except in defense when they're charging in.

Edited by Semshol

Over all I think I am going to stick with the Prime, it has always done me well and I usually don't go past 40 minutes so I don't get to the point were the small increase in DPS will matter. Also I have a reactor and 5 forma in it so...

Crits can go as high as 10K per head shot

Urm my Latron prime regularly hits 12K head shots so...

I have finished testing both as of 2 days ago actually. Here are a few factors to consider:

Prime:

It's shiny

- It has a horrid (to some) firing sound

- Its crit rate means you see normal shots (non-crits) very often.

- It is very viable for head-shots with a lower recoil than the wraith.

- No reload cancel (unless this was changed back to normal)

- GREAT status chance, excellent for proc'ing

- Not advised for use against the Grineer due to lack of 4 elements combo for viral. (you can reduce crit damage to get your 4 elements, but I prefer to use Boltor Prime against grineer because I can even get a Bane mod on there).

Wraith:

- It's bad-@$$

- It's exclusive :c

- NICE firing sound

- Its crit rate means you see MOSTLY crits. Normal shots are a rarity and that to me is Epic, it means you're doing your full damage around 75% of the time (I calculated this by expending a magazine and counting the normal shots. 62.5% is a slight under-statement if you're a luckier person). This is in comparison to the Latron Prime around 50% of the time.

- Lower base damage (non-crit shots do practically nothing)

- Faster fire rate (which is actually bad for a DMR)

- Slightly higher recoil (repeated headshotting is a problem unlike with zee Latron Prime)

- Status proc is lower than the Latron Prime so it is actually less viable to go for status (sad face). This can be quite a problem because the Latron Prime was already functioning on its base crit and is STILL better than Latron Wraith.

- Has a reload cancel at 75%

So these are the pros and cons of both weapons. If you want my honest opinion:

- Prime wins out in an overall sense because of how easy it is to just headshot a mo-fo. Compared to the Wraith which can make repeated head-shotting a problem.

- That said my personal preference is for the Wraith because of the reliability of the crits and the fact that I can't always hit a headshot repeated except in defense when they're charging in.

Great info here, I can agree with everything you said about the Wraith based on my experience with it. Thanks for the info on the reload cancel, that is very important for me. I constantly find myself with an empty Boltor Prime because I do something right at the end of the animation.

wraith actually has a slightly higher DPS if thats what your after.

slightly less damage per shot, the extra crit brings the average damage per round up just under the prime. but, the wraith has a faster rate of fire that more then makes up for it. 

Personally, I don't like using crit-based weapons too much. That being said, I have made an exception for Latron Wraith. However, I like Latron Prime's ability to still pack a punch even without a crit. Accuracy also comes into play, as I've noticed Wraith has a strong recoil and much lower accuracy, making headshots few and far between, whereas Prime gets that headshot much more often than that. The fire rate is nice, but overall not needed.

And when going into looks and sounds, I like Latron Prime better in both aspects. No contest.