Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Extra Credits Made A New Video About The F2P Model...

Brynslustafir

And I can happily say that DE has handled it better than the vast majority of F2P developers have.

DE hasn't fallen into the same hole as a lot of developers have, instead, DE has kept the player base balanced. At least from what I have seen. 

Good on you, DE. 

Edited by Plasmaface

I have tried several F2P games, and I believe DE has one of the fairest implementations around.  Which is why I facepalm endlessly when people show up complaining about paywalls and free2peasant problems.   It was a little bit rough before the introduction of the player economy, because weapon and frame slots were completely unavailable to free players outside of special promotions, but now that you can earn platinum from other players I have no sympathy whatsoever for people that can't invest a little time to get the things they want.

I have tried several F2P games, and I believe DE has one of the fairest implementations around.  Which is why I facepalm endlessly when people show up complaining about paywalls and free2peasant problems.   It was a little bit rough before the introduction of the player economy, because weapon and frame slots were completely unavailable to free players outside of special promotions, but now that you can earn platinum from other players I have no sympathy whatsoever for people that can't invest a little time to get the things they want.

Actually, the slots aren't even all that expensive. If you wait for 25-50% discount tickets, and buy your platinum $5-10 at a time, you can easily have all the slots needed for -every- weapon and frame in the game currently for around $60. Which I'm sure, over the course of a few months, most gamers can force themselves afford (like gamers will force themselves to afford that new Modern Duty Warfare Simulator). So, honestly, if people are 100% F2Ping WF, they're kinda robbing themselves. That kind of money isn't really hard to save or trim off a budget; it usually means not buying sweets for one week. Which, really, most of us could do without :V

I personally do not know...

In this game you can spot the whales easily by their prime access icons and exclusive attachments.

Or in the trade chat at times.

If the trading for platinum did not exist I would be unable to call the way WF handles F2P good in any kind of way.

And thanks to the richer players, currency keeps trickling down into the trade machinery to keep it going.

But the trade chat, that functionality is rather hidden to the relatively new consumer as you basically need the community to tell you that it's there, or you need to research it yourself. The game does not convey this functionality, and confusion does not help making desicions.

paying $5 will grant the game some more playtime by giving you the option to buy a slot or two, or a really cheap weapon/frame right out of the box.

But then it's a part of the game you do not know if you want or not.

Essentially you pay for a single slot, a potato and the time it would otherwise take to get the frame in question.. so the slot is good all around, but if you end up disliking your purchase, it'll be a bit of a tougher desicion to throw it away if it has a potato installed, because then you're not only throwing away something that you can re-aquire at any time, but another item that costs the player and is incredibly rare otherwise.

Locking the player into another seat of confusion.

The longer you play the game the easier the economy gets to work with, but the way it is set up only reinforces bad desicions and insecurity for the newcomers, which acts as a detergent that either drives them away from the game completely or that keeps them away from spending anything for a much longer time than neccessary.

Inadvertedly promoting playing without paying, which is not a good source of income.

TL;DR: WF does a good job at handling it's internal economy thanks to how trading works, but it does a horrible job of conveying anything about these options to the less initiated players.

Edited by Kamikiri

Better f2p model, sure.

Better game? That's based on opinion. More people who have played Warframe disagree with the game being better (by proof of status) than not.

I do however, disagree with the fact that DE has 'not fallen into this hole'.

DE, too, does rely slightly on that concept.

The entire trading system is designed around it.

"It doesn't matter who, but, if someone can't buy, someone else can buy it for them."

The trade system functions on the idea that SOMEONE has to buy the plat. (the plat must be purchased to be used in trade)

As a person who has gotten 75% off constantly, I can honestly say I don't really want to pay for a cosmetics game.

I did, before. (Maplestory)

However, that game was clarified as a cosmetic game and it was SATISFYING as a cosmetic game.

Warframe, however, is too heavily cosmetic for the lack of design flexibility involved.

Regardless of the reason, I am not satisfied spending any more on cosmetics for this game when it's clear they're 'building' up the list from less-impressive designs to more impressive designs over time, with the exception of certain exclusives.

This feels like an attempt to reduce the amount of work needed to create a sense of variety but still get us to keep buying stuff.

Maplestory had no way of keeping up with the sheer number of cosmetics unless you spent all your life's savings to constantly re-buy hundreds of outfits. Despite that 'collector's block', it was an entertaining concept, full of variety.

In comparison (yes, we are GOING TO COMPARE f2p games, regardless of genre, though not in gameplay) Warframe is pretty... lacking.

Lazy, some might say. (this is hard to judge, so, we'll avoid this)

It technically also isn't the best F2P model. (I said better* up top)

Path of Exile could still win over. Despite a lack of methods to obtain cash currencies ingame (to my knowledge), they have yet to resort to forcing increased purchases through tailored ingame systems. (i.e. Warframe's trade system... allowing plat trade?)

That's still left to opinion, of course.

All in all, Warframe has a good standing as a F2P game.

Though every now and again, it cuts off an arm in that.

There weren't many big ones. Honestly, so far it's only minor cosmetics, Prime Access and the Trade system.

Thankfully for us, cosmetic randomize lottery was revoked and heavily rejected to the point of rebellions, so that got knocked out the park and turned into the minor cosmetics category.

You got some good points there LadyScootaloo, but is one part that I have to start an argument about.

I do however, disagree with the fact that DE has 'not fallen into this hole'.

DE, too, does rely slightly on that concept.

The entire trading system is designed around it.

"It doesn't matter who, but, if someone can't buy, someone else can buy it for them."

The trade system functions on the idea that SOMEONE has to buy the plat. (the plat must be purchased to be used in trade)

Even though one might think that the trading system is like what you mentioned, DE is not forcing anyone to buy that platinum to trade. Looking at it from the players perspective, it just makes everyone happy.

The whale gets those primes and fully ranked mods and whatnot, and in turn the more-or-less poor players get platinum for free which they can use to get more slots. Again, everyone is happy.

Besides, the trade system is not enforcing plat trades either, as for example myself who doesn't have any plat to spare have traded prime parts for prime parts. It only makes it possible to do plat trades, not required or forced.

However, sadly, not many are willing to trade for anything that is not platinum or a very rare and expensive prime part.

Edited by maikkeli31

The thing I like most about warframe is that people like me are able to feed off of those whales. I have not spend one single cent on this game, yet I have more than 1400 plat lying around and bought myself stuff wich is worth atleast another 2k plat. And thats the best model I think.

I've seen very VERY few true F2P games out there, LoL being on the top of my list, but Warframe is probably a close second, you can get anything in Warframe without paying, and that's all I want from a F2P, and HELL you can even make platinum by selling items, something I haven't seen in any of the games I've played.

Only other F2P that stands well with warframe is BnS China, I think DE has handled the F2P model better than any F2P I've played (and that's a long list)

I do not HAVE to spend a single dime in warframe which is nice. I do because I want to not because I won't get something if I don't *cough* nexon *cough*

EDIT: Just watched the video and the is pretty much Nexon in a nut shell and why I think They're the worst game company out there.

Edited by Echoa

I'd almost argue against LotRO being a good F2P...if it wasn't for my argument being that there's ALOT of grind involved if you want to get the premium currency for free. Since that's pretty much how Warframe rolls.

Or you might be lucky on get Bite on your first ever mission on Earth. RNG is beautiful creature that is hated by everyone.

I'd almost argue against LotRO being a good F2P...if it wasn't for my argument being that there's ALOT of grind involved if you want to get the premium currency for free. Since that's pretty much how Warframe rolls.

Well, the thing with LOTRO is that you always get the main storyline for free, and some skirmishes.  Sure, grinding skirmishes and deeds isn't really all that fun, but you can earn TP for many different things while you are playing, with which you can buy more areas in the game.  It's a slow trickle, but it's there to prevent you from feeling completely hopeless.  Warframe could learn a bit from this, but I hear that on rare occasions you can get platinum from alert missions.

So yeah, if you are dead broke, you can still play, and not be outmatched by those who do buy into the game.  I haven't been playing Warframe very long, but that seems to me how Warframe goes.  I just can't help buying cosmetics (in both games).

I have not seen any other F2P games out there that allow the one main premium currency-platinum to be made from the game. That's just "ridiculous" somehow. Yet, there are players bragging and complaining about plats, prime access, "F2W" & "paywall", and taking for granted what's given by DE.

Honestly I see a video like this and realize that really it is all bullS#&$. It isn't like the F2P model always resorts ot whales. Or that poor players are content for them. The main flaw in the logic of the video is that instead of treating the whole @(*()$ this as a market where work leads to getting paid and eventually spending that money they focus on making small purchases meaningful.

I know PWE is hated around these parts but truth is they had the model right despite their S#&$ty lottery boxes (which most free to play games have now). I remember i was playing forsaken world and a new wolf or something mount came out. I was unemployed at the time and could spend the 20 or so bucks for it. Instead I spent a few hours farming some events and traded for it through the leaf system. I got lots of items that way. And honestly with the exception of the 50 bucks I shelled out for GW2 I got the permanent harvest tools, commander tag, etc the same way. 

Back before Tera went F2P you could literally sell a sub in game (ala eve). I advertised for one and this one player gave me S#&$ over how I was cheap. As another player put it if you spend 2-3 hours grinding for a sub that cost $15 bucks you pretty much just got paid to do it. And that is the reality. Whether you grind a game or you grind a job you can earn for it. 

In many cases it isn't the bragging right but the busy schedule that lead many to drops hundreds in the game. You spend 9-10 hours at work come home and realize you'll have to grind 3-4 hours for that thing you wanted or you could separate yourself with a little bit of that check and have someone else do the work for you. It is basic economics and the reason why these videos are damn near stupid is that they do not realize this

. While it is true that regular players will never compete with the efficiency of a Chinese farm they are theoretically doing the same job. ANd both cna get paid for it just to different ends.

Hearthstone for example uses booster packs (lottery) to buff up your deck. You can not trade cards for fear that blizzard would just have third party card trading market (which cuts them out the profits). So you either play the game  ad nauseum or dish out cash to try their lottery or Naxx (which is OP bullS#&$ which I will admit I got the first 2 wings of). Now compare that with Tera uprising.Their lottery is almost completely cosmetic. Players can trade in game coin for real life currency. No one is locked out and advantages afforded by being rich are kept to a minimum. 

I think the OP as well as the author of the video should realize the best systems are the ones that look at the game as both a fun experience or a job you could grind for credit. While it isn't great it never locks poor players out of the market. If you want that new shiny mount just grind for it. If you do not want to farm those 5,000 carrots after a long days work pay some one to do it.

The best thing DE has done is keep trade stupid co the chances of you selling to a professional farmer are low. The other thing is they do not lock you out of items that affect combat through use of a pay wall. 

TL;DR

The video is nice but it is essentially misinformation. 

I have not seen any other F2P games out there that allow the one main premium currency-platinum to be made from the game. That's just "ridiculous" somehow. Yet, there are players bragging and complaining about plats, prime access, "F2W" & "paywall", and taking for granted what's given by DE.

Actually, in EverQuest II you can buy an item for cash and then sell it on the in game broker.  This item gives you one month of premium gameplay.  I did this once because my character was flat broke (so sue me, I like clothing), and it was very surprising to me how thankful the buyer was that she could fund her subscription by grinding.

I do have to agree with that Video.   and that DE is handling the Free to Play model rather well.   Even at 5 bucks with or without a discount coupon can net you a couple of weapon/warframe slots, to help increase your arsenal if you wish.  

Warframe does have those "whales" as the video called them, I'm one of them when budget allows me to be.  I have nearly every weapon, (minus some event ones, and lato prime as i missed out on that)  And have all current warframes.   I spent the money cause I enjoyed the game, loved how the Devs care for the game, and its community.   DE is one of those Companies that I have come to believe in that see's the customers as members of its Staff in the way that We (the players) help to find those issues, bugs, glitches, breaks  in the game that DE just doesn't have the resources to spend on hunting down with the variety of Gaming Systems and setups that are out there that people are using to Play the game.   

And for doing so, we are rewarded with an Awesome game to play, events to enjoy (both for ingame items, and Plat), and discounts for Plat just for login into the game.  I haven't seen another Company yet in all the games I've played, that gives out a few hundred dallors worth of Game Credits( Plat) every month on a weekly basis.  Giveaways that could sink companies even if they had the profits to afford it.   Yet DE does it cause they care about Us, and all that we do to help make this game great for everyone.  

I hope that DE continues the Model they are using now and never forget that everyone from a causal player to a hardcore gamer, want Enjoyable games that draw them into the worlds that the Game has, and in doing so those players are willing to spend money no matter how little that amount is,  cause they enjoyed the game and want to see it continue to grow.   

Though, I do think that the Mod rewards need to be changed up for the higher Plat perchases, cause you can get those in Nightmare runs,, and so other then the plat amount they aren't that appealing anymore.    I think maybe if able they should have the Mod rewards for those higher tier purchases be a random Dual Stat Mod Card, that could even include event mod cards.

I need to say. wow! im totally amazed and surprised at just how well everyone's comments and arguments are put together. it really get's you thinking and as well as that was fun to read. yes... an argument-no wait discussion that was as fun as it was to read. mind=blown. and also kudos for everyone being so well educated. im really impressed with that.

And I can happily say that DE has handled it better than the vast majority of F2P developers have.

DE hasn't fallen into the same hole as a lot of developers have, instead, DE has kept the player base balanced. At least from what I have seen. 

Good on you, DE. 

thanks a bunch for accidentally showing me a new youtube Chanel to add to my "very often watched" list.