Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Hellion Op?

(XBOX)RayvenRayge

Question

Is anyone else (who is new to the game, like me) having issues soloing against Hellions? (If you don't recognize the name, they're Grineer soldiers that can fly and shoot volleys of missles at you) It seems everytime I get hit by a blast, I get knocked down (I can understand that) but then the enemy just locks into a loop of shooting MORE volleys and so I get stuck, floored, and inevitably die/fail.

Is there any easy-ish way to help this? The maps I tend to get don't provide decent cover, and being indoors/under cover doesn't help cause they just land, then start shooting them at ground level.

Loki - Disarm (or switch teleport)

Excal - Radial Blind

Mag - Pull

Any of the starters can handle them.

sorry to correct you loki is not anymore starter frame: volt has replaced him :P

aaand OP....

my most hated unit is grineer helion - whenever I see him the next death in the mission is either him or me..... (mean I'm going berserk to kill him first and sometimes its not best way of handling stuf...)

Among what other players have said, What can help counter the missile volleys is (if you manage to get a hold of it) the mod Handspring. I don't quite remember who or what drops it as my copy of Handspring came from a defense mission, but it's a godsend for recovering from those volleys. If you get knocked down, you'll be back on your feet before the second volley is even halfway to reaching you. 

Dodge rolls work fairly well in avoiding the missiles as they travel to you as well, and even simply hiding behind an obstacle like a crate or a part of the environment can help reduce chance of knockdown, or help give you a quick breather if you are knocked down and need to get back on your feet.

Though I do agree, the chance of knockdown from those Missiles should be reduced, or at the least give the Hellions a longer cooldown between Volleys to at least give players (especially newer ones) time to realize what the hell just hit them. 

sorry to correct you loki is not anymore starter frame: volt has replaced him :P

aaand OP....

my most hated unit is grineer helion - whenever I see him the next death in the mission is either him or me..... (mean I'm going berserk to kill him first and sometimes its not best way of handling stuf...)

Forgot that completely: updated the post.

Is anyone else (who is new to the game, like me) having issues soloing against Hellions? (If you don't recognize the name, they're Grineer soldiers that can fly and shoot volleys of missles at you) It seems everytime I get hit by a blast, I get knocked down (I can understand that) but then the enemy just locks into a loop of shooting MORE volleys and so I get stuck, floored, and inevitably die/fail.

Is there any easy-ish way to help this? The maps I tend to get don't provide decent cover, and being indoors/under cover doesn't help cause they just land, then start shooting them at ground level.

THeya re without a doubt the toughest non boss mob. My advice is activate stealth if you have it. If not that then shield. Otherwise drop the ultimate. A mid to long range weapon like the Gorgon and Soma will be your best ways to deal with them conventionally.

As well as all of the suggestions, I would like to point out some other units that new players be wary of. Now I'm not sure if they're on Earth, but Eviscerators are deadly units known for using the Miter (A Grineer engineered weapon capable of firing sawblades) and can cause not only major direct damage but a bleed proc that will make even the best surgeon cringe. To my understanding they use the same armor the other heavy grineer units use. Take great heed against the Eviscerators.

Another notable unit is the Grineer Seeker. The Seeker is equipped with a hard-hitting sidearm known as the Kraken known for firing two rounds per shot. This weapon can easily down tenno ops who are still new in the field and not to be taken lightly. They also toss our Rollers which seek out its enemy and sticks onto them, further exploding and damaging shields while knocking you back and leaving you open for Tenno hunting season.

Lastly, the Ballista, the sniper rifle (known as the Vulkar) armed unit will aim as best it can and deal heavy damage to your shields and right to your health. This one is an honorable mention since it can fire from long range and surprise unsuspecting Tenno.

Be careful, and always go safety in numbers.

Tenno out.

P.S. Roll over rollers if they roll latch onto you.

Edited by IAmTheWar

As well as all of the suggestions, I would like to point out some other units that new players be wary of. Now I'm not sure if they're on Earth, but Eviscerators are deadly units known for using the Miter (A Grineer engineered weapon capable of firing sawblades) and can cause not only major direct damage but a bleed proc that will make even the best surgeon cringe. To my understanding they use the same armor the other heavy grineer units use. Take great heed against the Eviscerators.

Another notable unit is the Grineer Seeker. The Seeker is equipped with a hard-hitting sidearm known as the Kraken known for firing two rounds per shot. This weapon can easily down tenno ops who are still new in the field and not to be taken lightly. They also toss our Rollers which seek out its enemy and sticks onto them, further exploding and damaging shields while knocking you back and leaving you open for Tenno hunting season.

Lastly, the Ballista, the sniper rifle (known as the Vulkar) armed unit will aim as best it can and deal heavy damage to your shields and right to your health. This one is an honorable mention since it can fire from long range and surprise unsuspecting Tenno.

Be careful, and always go safety in numbers.

Tenno out.

You can get rid of the latchers("mini rollers") by just doing a roll.

of course founders were the first on the case on our new Family/Friends Tree hehe :P

hellion 2 way to kill

1. as a GM said wait for them to land and unleash hell

2. (my prefer way) run and gun while take cover all at the same time or abilities using cause we have them for a reason :D

Yeah, always felt that Phobos has a significant jump in difficulty from most other earlier planets.

That's what I usually warn new players I happen to meet in-game too.

For a new player, with no special ways of dealing with them (like high shield/hp, high damage weapons, or special abilities like disarm), the easiest way is to retreat out of sight. They will land eventually, and that is where you should try to kill them on ground. One of the most common response when they start flying is to try to kill them (and in aim mode), but usually new players will not be fast enough, and even if you kill him, he may let off the rockets.  Better take it safe especially if you solo.

When you hear the sound of jetpack,you either shoot them down as fast as you can,

First of all, i'm talking on this as a new players... (not like i have problem against it, except for it's almost 100% blast status chance)

-Some players (like me) play WF on MUTE... unless you'r telling me it's my problem that i have to turn the volume on to counter hellion?

-Second, how does a jetpack sounds like? as a player whom play on mute or a new player, they don't know how does it sounds like.

This is kind of late game advice, but if you manage to get your hands on Nekros, the earth ones are generally easy to kill with one hit from a maxed soul punch. (it's also damn funny to watch their limp bodies plummet to the ground).

As for early game, as someone mentioned, Hellions really were a bad idea to put on earth. There are several ways to take care of them which have probably been covered in this thread. They are nearly annoying as rollers and arc traps in some cases. I'll be honest, Grineer have some of the most obnoxious units in the game

depending upon your starting frame, there's different ways to take care of them.

-As has been mentioned, Excalibur's Radial Blind is really useful against them. After the initial stun, they won't be able to see for a bit. Use this to your advantage to get behind them to destroy their jetpack and keep them grounded, hopefully for good. Generally, the jetpack exploding is enough to kill them. If they do survive somehow, they won't be able to take to the sky, thus eliminating their most powerful attack.

-Mag's pull will rag doll them. I haven't tried it on an airbourn one, but I imagine it would pull them out of the sky.

-Volt can either use shock, or if you want to really have some fun and have energy to spare, max out overload and electrocute them and everyone else.

Edited by Glisp

Rolling prevents knockdowns. Every frame can roll. When you see incoming missiles, roll. (Was gonna write tap Shift but XB1) This goes for Bombard missiles, Anti-Moa explosions, Knockdown Moa rings, Grineer heavy fist-smashes, Shield Grineer slams, Ancient grapples, Volatile Runner staggers, Grineer Roller staggers... you name it, rolling prevents it. You'll still take the damage but \

Alternatively, a quick sprint-crouch_tap or slide attack can usually get you far enough from the missiles impact point that you won't get hit at all.

If you're getting hit before even seeing the guy, that's a problem between keyboard and chair. IMO, playing FPS games without sound is... painful. I do it too, when absolutely necessary, but location queues from sound are a pretty critical tool to be a strong player.

Edited by Darzk

Personally I run at them when they go airborne.  Sprinting at them their shots in the volley miss well most of the time then im real close to unload before their next volley.  They are a terrable pain but just keep moving when they go up and your chances of surviving will be much higher.  Best of luck.

There should be decent delays in the volley of missiles.  Are you saying they are firing rapidly, because if they are then it sounds like a bug. 

they shoot like 5 missiles at you

if even one lands you will get knocked down

then while you are getting up they will shoot more resulting in a loop until u die