Why Are Glaive/kestrel Users Punished For Being Equipped?

CY13ERPUNK

srsly

WHY can we not simple HOLD melee to throw the glaive/kestrel like when melee is unequipped? (ie you have a prim/2nd inhand)

i cannot express how frustrating this is, it screws up aiming and quite often gets you killed, as the precursor melee atk typically moves you off a ledge or into a position where your glaive now hits you in the face

clearly it works perfectly fine when i have a gun in my hand

but if say i wanted to run without my guns and just use my glaive, im being punished for doing this?

is this DE's way of trolling "the sword alone" even more? like it wasn't bad enough already... (another topic, but im talking about uppercut melee, mid-air melee, and aiming melee at crosshairs, ie up/down vs horizontal)

sidenote, it would be super awesome if the throwing melee didn't lock you into position while attacking, ala the amphis, seems silly that a melee with such a short range would require the kind of stationary positioning that heavy weapon does

Many of you seem confused about what the OP is talking about. Understandably so, but please read the keywords properly. OP is clearly talking about "The Sword Alone".

What? I can hold it down to throw them all the time, even with a Primary and Secondary equipped. Same for when I only have a Glaive/Kestrel or have it equipped.

The first sentence was a bit misleading, but what OP meant is that when you are WIELDING the Glaive and try to throw it, the throwing isn't as smooth as when it's UNEQUIPPED. He wants the former (Glaive equipped throw) to be as good as the latter (Glaive unequipped throw), and yes, the two have a little difference.

Even though you can throw it when wielding it, if you have high attack speed you will usually do a swing before the throw animation plays. It's not a full swing like early U13, but the Tenno still swings it. However, when it's unequipped, the Tenno won't do a random swing before throwing it; they will do it seamlessly.

This can be annoying because that first swing, especially with high attack speed, can easily make you move forward and make you fall off a ledge. It happened to me before, and it happens quite inconsistently as sometimes, the Tenno will throw the Glaive almost right away, while other times, they will do half a swing, and in the worst times, they might do a full swing that makes you move forward too much.

This problem occurs only when you're WIELDING the Glaive and try to throw it like you would when it's unequipped. OP is asking for the throwing when wielding the Glaive to be as smooth as when it's unequipped.

EDIT: Adding my GIFS in this post for convenience.

I just went in-game to show exactly what I'm talking about, and how it's still an issue. Running max Fury to make it even easier to reproduce (no, saying "don't use Fury then" isn't an answer to this issue, as it's something DE should fix properly). I use channeling so people can see the Glaive's trajectory more easily, and how it's being swung before the thrown animation even starts.

GIFS below the spoiler tag.

Notice the half-swing I have to do before it actually throws the Glaive. Yes, I am simply holding the attack button, not double pressing it. You can also notice that I move slightly forward here.

sn8UaKa.gif

A rarer occurrence, but still likely to happen on ledges, is for you to be swung forward by the half-swing's momentum, which is almost as inconsistent as coptering.

RofEIKa.gif

This example above almost got me killed at some point because I was aiming slightly down, which threw me off the ledge, but as you can see in the GIF, the throw animation isn't canceled, so I hit the ground right below my feet as I landed and the Power Throw explosion almost destroyed me.

I can reproduce the "swung forward" issue at least 1/5 of the time too.

NmISihQ.gif

Edited by Casardis

Even though you can throw it, if you have high attack speed, you will usually do a swing before the throw animation plays if you try to throw it while wielding it. However, when it's unequipped, the Tenno won't do a random swing before throwing it; they will do it seamlessly.

I haven't experienced this; it all works the same for me, regardless of the circumstances. Could it be a bug, or am I just magical?

I haven't experienced this; it all works the same for me, regardless of the circumstances. Could it be a bug, or am I just magical?

You're either magical or you haven't paid attention enough/used it enough to really see it. You can even see the issue in Mogamu's video right here at 0:54. Notice how Mag, with the Glaive equipped, does a half-swing before actually "charging" the throw shot. Mogamu will then perform another throw right away at 0:57 and the same half-swing animation plays again.

http://youtu.be/eCdPXeo0yrI?t=51s

After that, all the other demonstration of throwing the Glaive equipped will always perform the half-swing. You can even hear the "whoosh" before the charge animation occurs. In fact, you can even see that the half-swing actually hit a Charger around the 1:03 mark. If you go back to the beginning of the video where the Glaive's thrown while unequipped, you'll see how the throw animation starts right away, instead of having to do a half-swing.

EDIT: At 1:21, you see EXACTLY what TC's talking about. Mogamu's thrown a few feet ahead because of the half-swing, before actually throwing the weapon.

http://youtu.be/eCdPXeo0yrI?t=1m21s

Edited by Casardis

You're either magical or you haven't paid attention enough/used it enough to really see it. You can even see the issue in Mogamu's video right here at 0:54. Notice how Mag, with the Glaive equipped, does a half-swing before actually "charging" the throw shot. Mogamu will then perform another throw right away at 0:57 and the same half-swing animation plays again.

http://youtu.be/eCdPXeo0yrI?t=51s

After that, all the other demonstration of throwing the Glaive equipped will always perform the half-swing. You can even hear the "whoosh" before the charge animation occurs. If you go back to the beginning of the video where the Glaive's thrown while unequipped, you'll see how the throw animation starts right away, instead of having to do a half-swing.

Glaive is actually one of my main weapons, so I used it nearly all the time. That being said, I'd record video of my experiences with it, but sadly my pc probably wouldn't be able to handle the two programs running at once for anyone to get a smooth and clean look.

Yea,I always been wondering about it :/

Throwing my kestrel when equipped now more like "shortcut" of the old bugged throwing sequence(E+hold E)

I never experiences what OP feels about screwing aim or get killed coz of it,but it feels weird and somewhat feels unpleasant :|

Glaive is actually one of my main weapons, so I used it nearly all the time. That being said, I'd record video of my experiences with it, but sadly my pc probably wouldn't be able to handle the two programs running at once for anyone to get a smooth and clean look.

Even so, that doesn't change the fact that what happens does happen, and Mogamu's video clearly shows the issue TC and I are talking about. Therefore, I'll have to guess you either don't have a Fury mod (usually making it much more likely to happen because, while it makes the throwing animation faster, it also makes the half-swing faster), or, as I said in my first reply to you, you haven't been paying attention enough when doing it. I don't like assuming, but the problem is right here, even in the video I showed, and even in my current experience in the game.

In fact, if you want, I can even invite you to a game right now to show right in front of you, or have you equipped with maxed Fury and perform the throw in front of me without the half-swing.

EDIT: I just went in-game to show you exactly what I'm talking about, and how it's still an issue. Running max Fury to make it even easier to reproduce (no, saying "don't use Fury then" isn't an answer to this issue, as it's something DE should fix properly). I use channeling so you can see more easily the Glaive being swung before the thrown animation even starts.

GIFS below the spoiler tag.

Notice the half-swing I have to do before it actually throws the Glaive. Yes, I am simply holding the attack button, not double pressing it. You can also notice that I move slightly forward here.

sn8UaKa.gif

A rarer occurrence, but still likely to happen on ledges, is for you to be swung forward by the half-swing's momentum, which is almost as inconsistent as coptering.

RofEIKa.gif

This example above almost got me killed at some point because I was aiming slightly down, which threw me off the ledge, but as you can see in the GIF, the throw animation isn't canceled, so I hit the ground right below my feet as I landed and the Power Throw explosion almost destroyed me.

I can reproduce the "swung forward" issue at least 1/5 of the time too.

NmISihQ.gif

I never experiences what OP feels about screwing aim or get killed coz of it,but it feels weird and somewhat feels unpleasant :|

You will only experience this if you have Power Throw + Quick Return combo, which makes the last bounce an explosion (as you can see in my GIFs), which is the same explosion as when you click the Channel button after throwing the Glaive while wielding it. Since Quick Return makes the Glaive bounce only once, it's like you're throwing a grenade. Therefore, a wrong move can get yourself killed by your own Glaive explosion.

EDIT 2: it just occured to me. I will need to test it WITHOUT Gleaming Talon. Maybe the stance is the issue.

Edited by Casardis

Many of you seem confused about what the OP is talking about. Understandably so, but please read the keywords properly.

thank god for you bro, and reading comprehension

it blows my mind how ppl can be all like : 'nah man, doesnt bother me, maybe you just suck'

but thanks again Cas for the noble attempt to educate the masses (personally i find it hopeless, but whatevs)

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

I remember that got fixed in one of the patches. Combo was swing then throw, then they just put it to throw, but what happened with latest patches I don't know.

Thats literally the reason why i never used it anymore

If its fixed then ill continue my loki conquest in DSPVP

Thanks for the info (if its right)

I actually don't think ANY of you use a Glaive enough. This is my research so far, feel free to tell me if I missed anything.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/287050-glaive-testing-and-bugs/?hl=glaive

id argue that, but whatevs

aside from what i posted in this thread, your's pretty much covers everything i could think of ; luckily enough i guess, i dont often have the sorts of stuck/bugged problems that you seem too, i just want a quality of life improvement, but of course your issues also show that the glaives are fairly buggy still

id argue that, but whatevs

aside from what i posted in this thread, your's pretty much covers everything i could think of ; luckily enough i guess, i dont often have the sorts of stuck/bugged problems that you seem too, i just want a quality of life improvement, but of course your issues also show that the glaives are fairly buggy still

I started that account at U14. It has 114 hours of mission time, and I've gotten 5.9 million affinity with the Glaive. It was my only weapon until I go the Latron Wraith to level. Feel free to post yours. I had decided to use nothing but the Glaive, but I did want to level the Latron Wraith when It was offered, and I'm doing a few mixed weapons just to get to MR6, then I no longer care.

I'm sorry, but if you are not getting the problems I've seen, you haven't "been using it" because they are pretty much constant. You are complaining that you have to "swing before a throw" and I have just told you that it's because you are probably running Fury which speeds up attack speed and bugs the Glaive.

Take it off and it will throw fine. Any other "swing speed" effect will make it much worse. If Volt uses speed, it can get so bad that no amount of holding down the attack will make it fly anymore.

I started that account at U14. It has 114 hours of mission time, and I've gotten 5.9 million affinity with the Glaive. It was my only weapon until I go the Latron Wraith to level. Feel free to post yours. I had decided to use nothing but the Glaive, but I did want to level the Latron Wraith when It was offered, and I'm doing a few mixed weapons just to get to MR6, then I no longer care.

I'm sorry, but if you are not getting the problems I've seen, you haven't "been using it" because they are pretty much constant. You are complaining that you have to "swing before a throw" and I have just told you that it's because you are probably running Fury which speeds up attack speed and bugs the Glaive.

Take it off and it will throw fine. Any other "swing speed" effect will make it much worse. If Volt uses speed, it can get so bad that no amount of holding down the attack will make it fly anymore.

um it's not a competition dude

these are buggy aspects of the game and im giving feedback becuz i would like them changed/fixed

DE plz