Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Have A Sexually Ambiguous Warframe?

Guest Tehnoobshow

Sexually ambiguous anatomy is actually quite simple, just take a child's proportions and enlarge the body equally while keeping the head the same size. Basically, a figure with equally wide shoulders and hips, and a flat chest (mammary glands are a female secondary charcteristic). There should also be no significant sign of muscle in any part of the body.

While it's true that does work for sexual ambiguity, it doesn't leave a whole lot open for designers. They wouldn't be able to add almost anything to the shoulders, chest/stomach, or entire torso area for that matter, without the added bulk disrupting the child-like proportions.

As an example of ambiguity, you could design a character to be very tall, and spindly like Nekros, and as long as you didn't add any width to the chest or shoulders, and the helmet, pattern, and colours weren't unintentionally masculine or feminine, the frame could be viewed as ambiguous. Inversely, yet similarly, you could create a round and rotund frame, and as long as there wasn't any added form to the chest or hips, it could be considered ambiguous.

As mentioned in my first example though, the actual musculature and fat distribution on the form is only half the battle for ambiguous design. You couldn't take Mirage's patterning and colour palette and put it on a male frame, like Rhino, because Mirage is patterned as female. Despite her large armor plates, the plates are on her shoulders and knees to give the largest space available for her torso, which while many male frames are designed similarly, her patterning is designed to accentuate chest and breast shape and form, whereas the majority of the male frames have a solid rectangle of colour making up their torso area. 

My point is, you could make an army of child-proportioned frames, and still divide them as male and female based on the shape/size of the armor they have, and how they're patterned.

Edited by Wurdyburd

Guest Tehnoobshow

No.

Still no idea why this is not locked already.

Because it's fairly obvious this is a joke thread intended to satirize the people who whine about gender representation in games?

Maybe because it doesn't violate any rules? Did you even read the OP? Or did you glance at the title and completely misunderstand what was being requested?

Do you get into the forums just to project your own self importance?

It's a stupid idea. Why would DE actually even consider projecting sexuality by design into this game? It's bad enough giving Frames having exaggerated proportions in a game where we are inside suits of armor, and here you advocate a bunch of pixels actually having a sexual orientation of some type.

I read the OP, I read the title. He asked can "we have", I said "no". I answered the damn question. If people don't like answers they should not ask the questions.

I definitely like this idea. One thing I love about this game is how the split between male and female warframes is even, giving equal representation. That said, there's more than one gender and a non-sex or asexual warframe could be another aspect of that representation, as well as offer an interesting design opportunity, creating a frame that neither represents male nor female.

Guest Tehnoobshow

I definitely like this idea. One thing I love about this game is how the split between male and female warframes is even, giving equal representation. That said, there's more than one gender and a non-sex or asexual warframe could be another aspect of that representation, as well as offer an interesting design opportunity, creating a frame that neither represents male nor female.

Dude, it's a joke. You're not actually one of those slave mentality make everything equal people, are you?

I wouldn't mind. Kind of weird for them to be gendered in the first place, honestly.

I Argreed, should be just a suit warps around a person and the gender is based on whos in it when it take shape. It be like having gundams be male and female gundams even tho its a mobile armour.

Or you can, you know, learn to not be so insecure that the sex of a Warframe bothers you or affects your gameplay.

Why do you jump straight to that?

As if the only possible reason someone would have for having a preference on their characters sex is "insecurity".

Let me ask you this-

When people prefer a red character does that have to mean they are insecure with playing as a blue one?

When people prefer a large character does that have to mean they are insecure with playing as a small one?

see....jumping to "insecurity" on an issue that could simply be a matter of preference or immersion is just plain judgmental. 

Guest Tehnoobshow

Why do you jump straight to that?

As if the only possible reason someone would have for having a preference on their characters sex is "insecurity".

Let me ask you this-

When people prefer a red character does that have to mean they are insecure with playing as a blue one?

When people prefer a large character does that have to mean they are insecure with playing as a small one?

see....jumping to "insecurity" on an issue that could simply be a matter of preference or immersion is just plain judgmental.

Pretty sure the second one actually happens though. If a guy is super buff, then he's probably trying to make up for something..

Dude, it's a joke. You're not actually one of those slave mentality make everything equal people, are you?

It's a good idea regardless. There are genders other than male or female, after all, and they get precious little representation. Why not have one or two ungendered frames? It's just logical, I'm far from a slave for thinking that.

Zephyr?

This was my first thought as a "sexually ambiguous" warframe. Though she DOES have a feminine physique, her warframe has quite bit of "armor" on it, thus any um...feminine qualities can't be seen as easily.

Not to mention, she's the only female warframe that has a huge codpiece not unlike many of the male warframes. She gives Rhino a run for his money with that huge thing.

Pretty sure the second one actually happens though. If a guy is super buff, then he's probably trying to make up for something..

Pure speculation that means nothing. Someone can choose to create whatever character they wish. It does not mean they're insecure for it.

I myself create characters that are very similar to characters I've written about in stories. One character is a cute, female thief with red hair and a penchant for lighting things on fire. Does that mean I'm insecure and would like to be a red haired thief in RL? Um...no.

Sexually ambiguous anatomy is actually quite simple, just take a child's proportions and enlarge the body equally while keeping the head the same size. Basically, a figure with equally wide shoulders and hips, and a flat chest (mammary glands are a female secondary charcteristic). There should also be no significant sign of muscle in any part of the body.

This thread poses a really very interesting proposition/problem ... 1+ for original thinking

Two questions:

1. As my own mind is a blank slate on this subject, what are the goals of this approach from your perspective?

2. Based upon the definition you provided - and not trying to be flippant about it - but wouldn't the character look something like a Lego character?

3. How far off does Vauban fit the model you envision?

EDIT:  Oh good grief, I missed post# 30 ... Imma such a n00b

Edited by ElHefe

If that was a joke-kinda funny.

If that was a real statement-well....

That is another negative stigma that ends up being kind of hypocritical.

Action game's are power fantasies, we are all playing super human characters that can singlehandedly lay waste to armies. 

We have things like giant guns, metal armored skin, energy flying from our finger tips...

to be like "the toon with the big muscles is being played by the guy who is overcompensating" is pretty convenient. lol

While it's true that does work for sexual ambiguity, it doesn't leave a whole lot open for designers. They wouldn't be able to add almost anything to the shoulders, chest/stomach, or entire torso area for that matter, without the added bulk disrupting the child-like proportions.

As an example of ambiguity, you could design a character to be very tall, and spindly like Nekros, and as long as you didn't add any width to the chest or shoulders, and the helmet, pattern, and colours weren't unintentionally masculine or feminine, the frame could be viewed as ambiguous. Inversely, yet similarly, you could create a round and rotund frame, and as long as there wasn't any added form to the chest or hips, it could be considered ambiguous.

As mentioned in my first example though, the actual musculature and fat distribution on the form is only half the battle for ambiguous design. You couldn't take Mirage's patterning and colour palette and put it on a male frame, like Rhino, because Mirage is patterned as female. Despite her large armor plates, the plates are on her shoulders and knees to give the largest space available for her torso, which while many male frames are designed similarly, her patterning is designed to accentuate chest and breast shape and form, whereas the majority of the male frames have a solid rectangle of colour making up their torso area. 

My point is, you could make an army of child-proportioned frames, and still divide them as male and female based on the shape/size of the armor they have, and how they're patterned.

It is important to recognize the importance of cultural proclivity to all of what you said

I am referring to the variations of subjective aesthetic which originate from different geographic regions and time periods in addition to culture of origin or culture of emphasis

In other words, there is no truly objective nondimorphism

What would result would be what the artistic and directive elements at DE - which is largely North American (I know, this is a not so subtle insult to Canadians)

This thread poses a really very interesting proposition/problem ... 1+ for original thinking

Two questions:

1. As my own mind is a blank slate on this subject, what are the goals of this approach from your perspective?

2. Based upon the definition you provided - and not trying to be flippant about it - but wouldn't the character look something like a Lego character?

3. How far off does Vauban fit the model you envision?

LEGO WARFRAMES?! 

I can almost imagine it. 

Edited by TwiceDead

"Human" is a bit of a stretch if you've read the lore. Also, there's the switching-equipped-frame-to-other-gender-but-I'm-still-one-Tenno thing.

They're altered humans, sure, but not sexually altered. This topic belongs on Tumblr, not on a forum for a game about space ninjas committing genocide.

As a side note, I doubt the Tenno have time to be sexually insecure, what with the aforementioned genocide.