Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Proposed Fix For Hysteria

(PSN)DesecratedFlame

That doesn't make it any less boring to use though, it'd just make people always use War cry + life strike instead.

I think it makes it less boring to use. You can't just brain-dead, face-tank everything anymore.  There is actually more incentive to get in close and murder things.  On top of that, it let's you toggle it off whenever you wish.

I wish people would stop saying 'fix'. That implies that it's broken.

It's not broken just because you think it is, by the way.

It is broken.  Pure invincibility with full range of movement is OP.  The only skill that has invincibility that makes sense is absorb because it roots you in place, and you have to be immobile in a swarm for it to be useful. That is not the case with Hysteria.

Guest Tehnoobshow

I wish people would stop saying 'fix'. That implies that it's broken.

It's not broken just because you think it is, by the way.

It's definitely broken, and boring as F***. War cry + life strike is the real berserker way to play Valkyr.

Replacing the invulnerability with high damage reduction does make sense, however, I think 90% sounds like a better cap for her (though that shouldn't require absolute maxed power strength, that'd kill efficiency too much). She doesn't have a ton of shields or health, so she'll have to rely on her armor and damage reduction to survive. Other than that, your proposed changes are pretty sound, though perhaps making Hysteria like channeling, where it drains energy for every hit, sounds like it could be an interesting alternative, as long as it's also affected by mods.

I think it makes it less boring to use. You can't just brain-dead, face-tank everything anymore.  There is actually more incentive to get in close and murder things.  On top of that, it let's you toggle it off whenever you wish.

There is something to be said for brain-dead face-tanking and currently valkyr is the only frame that can do it effectively.

Replacing the invulnerability with high damage reduction does make sense, however, I think 90% sounds like a better cap for her (though that shouldn't require absolute maxed power strength, that'd kill efficiency too much). She doesn't have a ton of shields or health, so she'll have to rely on her armor and damage reduction to survive. Other than that, your proposed changes are pretty sound, though perhaps making Hysteria like channeling, where it drains energy for every hit, sounds like it could be an interesting alternative, as long as it's also affected by mods.

75% is where it should stay before mods.  Maxing power strength should increase it though. Her shields should be low.  If you max her HP and Armor then add 75% DR on top of that she would still be an impressive tank; she just wouldn't be OP anymore. It would also allow you to take advantage of the rage mod while in hysteria.

Anyway, while Valkyr's hysteria can be seen to some as "boring", it's not exactly an ability to use over and over. THAT's what makes it boring. I use it specifically to resurrect allies or be a distraction so the rest of the team can pile on the damage. It's one of the reasons why I was fine with the damage "nerf" Hysteria was given. If you want to go all out melee damage, Warcry. If you want to tank and look awesome doing it, Hysteria.

As for the OP's proposed changes, I'm unsure of that. Perhaps 90% reduction. Toggling isn't a good idea. While it sounds like fun, it'll actually end up ruining one of the biggest weaknesses of Hysteria: the damage you receive if you didn't kill the enemies that have attacked you during Hysteria.

There would be literally no reason to use Hysteria over the rage + lifestrike + war cry combo if this was implemented. Max power strength war cry gives 90% damage reduction, modded dual ichor and dragon nikana can restore most if not all health in a few or less hits, and it only drains energy on successful hits.

To be honest Hysteria is fine as it is. As an experienced Valkyr player who uses the rage + lifestrike combo I have to say that invincibility to damage and CC is the only thing it has going for it, and I barely ever use it as it is. I don't see why anyone with the rage + lifestrike combo would use your version of hysteria over it. 

Edited by (PS4)JoeyTwoShoes

What are you going on about?

Anyway, while Valkyr's hysteria can be seen to some as "boring", it's not exactly an ability to use over and over. THAT's what makes it boring. I use it specifically to resurrect allies or be a distraction so the rest of the team can pile on the damage. It's one of the reasons why I was fine with the damage "nerf" Hysteria was given. If you want to go all out melee damage, Warcry. If you want to tank and look awesome doing it, Hysteria.

As for the OP's proposed changes, I'm unsure of that. Perhaps 90% reduction. Toggling isn't a good idea. While it sounds like fun, it'll actually end up ruining one of the biggest weaknesses of Hysteria: the damage you receive if you didn't kill the enemies that have attacked you during Hysteria.

It's new biggest weakness would be that you can take damage while it is active so you the damage return gimmick could be removed entirely.

There would be literally no reason to use Hysteria over the rage + lifestrike + war cry combo if this was implemented. Max power strength war cry gives 90% damage reduction, modded dual ichor and dragon nikana can much most in a few or less hits, and it only drains energy on successful hits.

To be honest Hysteria is fine as it is. As an experienced Valkyr player who uses the rage + lifestrike combo I have to say that invincibility to damage and CC is the only thing it has going for it, and I barely ever use it as it is. I don't see why anyone with the rage + lifestrike combo would use your version of hysteria over it. 

Very valid. While Valkyr's one of my favorite frames, since I'm constantly switching frames while playing, it has been a long while since I've truly let my Valkyr run wild. I use rage+lifestrike myself, however I don't use war cry that much. I prefer paralysis, since it instantly sets you up for doing counters/finishers. Sure, not exactly "efficient", but it's a ton of fun.

It's new biggest weakness would be that you can take damage while it is active so you the damage return gimmick could be removed entirely.

Perhaps, however I actually kind of like that "gimmick". It's a totally unique weakness only Valkyr and Hysteria has.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Won't you die even faster then? 75% reduction isn't much if you get rained upon by a hail of bullets, rockets, napalm, lasers, and toxins since you need to get up close and personal with your targets, also the zero range of hysteria will make it even harder to catch enemies as they fire at you while running from you.

I know 25% life steal sounds a lot but the damage doesn't scale well with armor and may reduce your damage to that of a water balloon if enemies get high enough.

But toggling it on and off however is an improvement from my perspective since it does feel a little too long even without duration mods but its the same as using a melee weapon with lifestrike on it though.

The only thing i want from hysteria is a good melee range where i can hit multiple enemies in a single move or do a spin attack that can hit enemies from a respectable distance so i don't get tired chasing them around.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

Won't you die even faster then? 75% reduction isn't much if you get rained upon by a hail of bullets, rockets, napalm, lasers, and toxins since you need to get up close and personal with your targets, also the zero range of hysteria will make it even harder to catch enemies as they fire at you while running from you.

I know 25% life steal sounds a lot but the damage doesn't scale well with armor and may reduce your damage to that of a water balloon if enemies get high enough.

But toggling it on and off however is an improvement from my perspective since it does feel a little too long even without duration mods but its the same as using a melee weapon with lifestrike on it though.

The only thing i want from hysteria is a good melee range where i can hit multiple enemies in a single move or do a spin attack that can hit enemies from a respectable distance so i don't get tired chasing them around.

I figured you would be able to get DR into the 90 percentile with power strength mods.  She should be able to die easier.  Full invincibility is OP.

Considering her armor with warcry gets her to 90% DR and she steals life id say it makes her a true god

Use QT+Rage and maybe drop life strike if her melee heals her without it anyways and opt for pure DPH/status/attack speed/stun instead

Overpowered possibly