Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Mathematics Joke

Renegade343

I think I can get the various random parts of the joke...but somehow it doesn't feel funny. Maybe I'm missing something. :P

1) Poisson as a misspelling of "poison,"

2) Poisson as the French word for fish,

3) Poisson as the name of a discrete probability distrubution. (Poisson distribution)

Edited by CedarDpg

Pretty useful tool at times, although I still need to fully understand its assumptions. 

I'm a psychology major...math is quite literally the exact opposite of what kind of stuff I study. I mean, I know the basics. And I'm obviously quite impressed with intricate work like that. It's just a bit a lot outside my realm of knowledge D:

I'm so clueless. I tried linking it to something else I know and got even more confused than the guys up there.

You know when you stretch a rubber band and it thins out in the middle? Poisson's ratio is a measure of the lateral contraction to the elongation.

Used heaps in materials engineering for practical analysis.

... Obviously it doesn't work with the joke, but I honest-to-God tried for a full few minutes.

Poisson distribution: An explanation to the Layman

The Poisson distribution is a very useful tool in real life, and not just mathematics. 

First you'll need to find a Poisson. Then, you have to throw him into your Kubrow grinder, until he becomes a fine paste. Afterwards, you get on your liset, and scatter his corpse all over the jungles of Earth. 

You have just distributed Poisson. From the origin of blasting off his horribly mutilated body, you can calculate the density over an area of his pasty bits of corpse hitting the floor with a slimy, wet slap, by discrete probability distribution. Now, you can feed the wild kubrows. Or the Grineer, if they're into that. 

Practical uses for abstract concepts. 

You're welcome.

*Wink!*

What did the mathematician say when he fell ill after eating contaminated fish?

I've been Poissoned!

There is a hidden joke as well. See if you can find it.

But butttttt!!!! That is Bernoulli distribution!

Imah overthinking this..... I think :<

Edited by Jacate