Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins Contest

[DE]Rebecca

Rebecca, can we post on forums (not this thread per se) our progress for a skin? Say I post up what I have so far to the community, so they can put on some feedback and whatnot (Without it getting stolen due to it being posted only here)? Thanks!

Yes sure, final submissions belong in this thread only!

Just wanted to point out that if your a student (high school or college) you can get a student version of 3ds max or maya for free. And for the devs if we use 3ds max for our renders (rather than blender) are there any lighting or environment settings we need to be aware of.

We included blender as it's open source, but we're much more likely to be of help if you're using Max or Maya ;)

I included a super simple light setup in the FBXs.  I'd like to keep it simple, but it's going to be hell to police that.  Any sort of classic 3 point lighting setup would be preferred, a basic GI setup is fine.  It feels a bit unfair to use a high end HDR image for sweet offline glossy reflections, but that leads to the policing problem.  

I think renders just have full lighting so you can't see any shadows on the model or bump maps in effect.

The final presentation could have shadows, bump occlusion etc?

Yep, the final presentation should have.  The lights in the FBXs have shadows, but I didn't spend much time with it as I expect the import of those to be dodgy in different programs.

huhum but rendering with marmoset will be different from what it turns out in the game

and if it comes down to public voting people will fall for the best render instead of the best texture and then will be disappointed that it doesnt look the same in the game

Well we're getting closer as time goes on.  PBR step by step :)

Artistic skill making for a better presentation is a reasonable advantage, so it's probably better to leave it wide open and let the chips fall where they may.  If you want to compete with Marmoset with a killer Vray setup it's probably better than trying to limit it when we don't have anything that'll show 1:1 with what is in game.

Can we create 'vandal' or 'wraith' version? I mean something that can't be colored, or just very very little. It is custom skin after all.

You can make it as tintable, or not, as you like.  Most people get annoyed by not having full control though ;)

We'll stay away from Wraith or Vandal version for this contest, but that is an interesting idea to do something in future... give the artistic spec for those styles and a few pieces to work with.  Something to consider.

I am sure the art team will tweak some of them so they actually fit within the game, render wise and all :/

We will do our best yep.  If people go unrealistically nuts in a presentation render (IE: Something we know we have 0% shot of reproducing) we might have to rein it in before it gets to voting, but whatever passes we will do what we can to match.

the only thing that popped in my head for the Akmagnus is either Alucards twin gun or Vash the stampede's gun with his brother

can i post an image from an anime that i want for the twin guns.....

Edited by edryuu

the only thing that popped in my head for the Akmagnus is either Alucards twin gun or Vash the stampede's gun with his brother

can i post an image from an anime that i want for the twin guns.....

I was also thinking along the lines of a trigun skin for the AkMagnus. Great minds think a like.