Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts On Stalker Archwing

Inemoement

In Devstream #36 it was mentioned off hand that the Stalker might be using an Archwing to travel to your level. However both the codex entry and him appearing in a cloud of black smoke implies that he's trapped in some alternate dimension similar to the void, making brief trips to the solar system (or void) to take down his targets.

I think that the latter fits the character more with it's current theme, as it is more mysterious and makes sense with his current implementation. However an Archwing would be quite interesting as well, and mixing up the way the Stalker works could make it one more item that paying players have an equal chance to get compared to the free playing ones (using the current rare drop system used for his weapons).

what does the general public think? Is the alternate dimension story better, or would the Archwing option make more sense? Post below!

Edit: i stand corrected, it was not mentioned as a thing that the devs were discussing, it was just some rumors and community thoughts that they mentioned.

Edit again: seeing as a lot of people seem to either not know the codex entry or have a different opinion of it, i'll just paste it in here from the wiki just in case.

Some have walked these desolate worlds while you have slept. Some like me. I remember what you did. I remember the day.

The Tenno appeared at the Terminus, gleaming and victorious. Our cold and gold Emperors, breathless, bathed you in savior's silk. Then came the sound. Across all our worlds, all at once, the ceremonial Naga drums. A royal salute to the honored Tenno. Ten solemn beats to declare the suffering was over. I watched from a distance, with the rest of the low Guardians. With each beat terror began to crush my throat. The Tenno were not stoic and silent. They were waiting. They were poised. I tried to call out but only a strangled whisper escaped.

When the ninth beat rang a torrent of blood filled the stadium, loosed by Tenno blades. The drums, the Empire, fell silent forever.

Now I hunt, dividing your numbers. Watching from that dark place, cataloging your sins, I am the ghost of retribution. You may forget but you are not innocent.

Edited by radivmoe

I think the Stalker needs a update period, the poor guy hasn't gotten one in years it feels like. I do agree however the black smoke is really his kinda "Entrance" and if you took that away it would be kind of disappointing I believe for many people. So why not just give him Archwings and still have him pop up in a cloud of black smoke? I mean what's stopping us from letting him have both?

Plus on another side note if he can show up on Archwing missions per say then what about the bounty hunters that come after us, will they have Archwings as well? If they did then things would get a little odd that the whole solar system just suddenly figured out how to build Archwings and now the Tenno have no advantage.

Plus on another side note if he can show up on Archwing missions per say then what about the bounty hunters that come after us, will they have Archwings as well? If they did then things would get a little odd that the whole solar system just suddenly figured out how to build Archwings and now the Tenno have no advantage.

Doesn't have to be Archwings. Could be something as simple as Corpus/Grineer spacecraft or something along those lines. Just because we have Archwings to get around doesn't mean everyone does.

I think the introduction of Corrupted Vor does bring up the interesting question of if Stalker is also linked to the Void, as both seem to perpetually reincarnate after we've killed them. Perhaps Stalker is merely a more 'evolved' Void entity, able to actually leave the Void for brief periods of time, to hunt for Tennos.

I don't think he would use an Archwing, given we have no idea if/how our weapons and abilities will function when using them.

Edited by Ryme

There is no indication of alternative dimansions whatsoever. Apearing from black smoke implies only apearing from black smoke. I don't understand this leap of logic: black smoke = alternative dimansions.

Stalker's codex entry implies he is based out of the void. As for giving him access to an Archwing... I could see it being made into an interesting fight. The thing about him though is that he doesn't use any guns or really complex technology besides his suit. Just bow, kunai, and scythe. I am curious what weapons you would give him along with the Archwing.

I completely agree on not everyone having Archwings, but that was also mainly a joke and not really a serious idea. After all if everyone had Archwings id be really curios who keeps leaking the Tenno's secrets? Lotus, Darvo, Ordis, or were we just the only ones out of the loop.

There is no solid lore on anything here so they can do whatever they want.

That's probably the reason there is no lore, there is no writing team in DE so there no one there with the imagination to make something up. So when gameplay affects the story there's no one there to BS around a new explanation. So they just leave everything vague and they get to it when a gameplay element pops up.

They should just create a Stalker faction.

There is no indication of alternative dimansions whatsoever. Apearing from black smoke implies only apearing from black smoke. I don't understand this leap of logic: black smoke = alternative dimansions.

"Watching from that dark place" is from the codex entry, in my mind that implies an alternate dimension.

I think the introduction of Corrupted Vor does bring up the interesting question of if Stalker is also linked to the Void, as both seem to perpetually reincarnate after we've killed them. Perhaps Stalker is merely a more 'evolved' Void entity, able to actually leave the Void for brief periods of time, to hunt for Tennos.

I don't think he would use an Archwing, given we have no idea if/how our weapons and abilities will function when using them.

Considering that almost all void based enemies and architecture have the orokin gold-white colour scheme it seems to me that the stalker could be from a similar place, but not the same one. as a "low Guardian" he would probably not be strong enough to take down tenno initially, like he does now.

To be fair, that could imply anything.

i guess. it could just be a mental state or something. hate and despair having twisted him or something.

Edit: that line was taken out of context though, for the full thing just go to the wiki page.

Edited by radivmoe

Stalker will teleprt to you during the Archwing mission, he will attach himself upon you and destroy the Archwing. You will fall, towards death, but an soft pillow astroid will catch you. Where you can fight, for honour, or death. The winner, gets to go home alive. 

the pillow asteroid part made me giggle. i salute you!

There is no solid lore on anything here so they can do whatever they want.

That's probably the reason there is no lore, there is no writing team in DE so there no one there with the imagination to make something up. So when gameplay affects the story there's no one there to BS around a new explanation. So they just leave everything vague and they get to it when a gameplay element pops up.

They should just create a Stalker faction.

i think a stalker faction would kind of undermine the sort of lone avenger type thing he has going on. there would probably be a way to make it work though

Guest Tehnoobshow

You never kill the Stalker, unless you're using a fully modded sniper/bow/explosive launcher and do several times the amount of damage required to one-shot him. Otherwise, he just kneels and teleports away.

i think a stalker faction would kind of undermine the sort of lone avenger type thing he has going on. there would probably be a way to make it work though

We just did a mission where we got  ice for space sushi... that's already been done.

It would be extremely easy to have two Tenno factions that see what they are doing currently in different ways which leads to conflict or different methods of handling a situation.