Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

High-Caliber Machine Gun

Agent_Harlocke

What if there was a bulky rifle, around the size of the gorgon, that fired large slugs?  Sort of like the HMG featured in Crysis 2 and 3?  It is designed to combat heavily armored soldiers or tough-skinned creatures.  If DE likes such a concept, they can fiddle with it as much as they want.  However I do want some attributes to stay the way I want it.  The bullets should deal significant puncture and impact damage as they are devastating AP slugs.  The rate of fire should not be too fast, preferably a weighty and dramatic 200-250 rounds per minute.  The magazine should be large, 100 maybe but hopefully nothing below 50 rounds.  No real crit or status capability just high base damage for high, consistent damage.  Those are the highly pronounced advantages, but the disadvantages would be relatively slow projectile speed, not hit-scan, maybe add a flashy tracer effect to the bullets.  The reload should be excruciatingly slow, to add to the drama of using such a devastating weapon.  And if that still doesn't feel balanced enough, it could have challenging amount of recoil.  The overall accuracy should be akin to the Gorgon I suppose, maybe a little looser, I'd leave that up to DE.  It's sort of the Grandaddy of the Soma and Gorgon, it should be almost like the Marelok in terms of the damage it deals but fully automatic.  As for the name, I have no idea what to call it, for I can't decide if it should be a Tenno or Grineer weapon.  I really want it to be of Tenno design as they have yet to have a heavy weapon, but the big, nasty bullets sound like a Grineer thing.  I do not have any conceptual designs/drawings/renderings.  If you think this is a good idea I encourage you to suggest a name, attempt to assign it to a faction, and even submit some concept artwork.  I hope someone appreciates this idea and thanks a lot for reading!!!

I would like it to look a bit like the boxy Gorgon but with a bigger box magazine, or possibly even a drum,  it should have a jacket around the barrel, sort of like the Vickers Machine Gun in real life, I wanna say mayyyyyybe bullpup configuration because having a bulky magazine in such a place would look quite unique, maybe not,  but above all I would like it to be big, like if you were to see someone in the distance holding one you'd know what it was. I'm not saying ridiculously big but of significant size to support the firepower it produces.

Edited by kalen118

you mean not a real Heavy machine gun but more of an Auto Cannon, i think it would require a slower movement effect while firing, and unless you use explosive rounds it would be hard to expect heavy damage from a slow projectile weapon, plus low accuracy/high recoil + not hit scan is a sure way to screw a weapon (ask Supra). 

I would love to have a general purpose machine gun (PGMG) or "medium" machine gun like the US M240 or Russian PKM. Big and slow and chunky.  Something like 65 damage/round at 5 rounds a second, with a huge 150 round box. Poor accuracy while moving, moderate/good accuracy while standing still.

Supra

...Is a terrible weapon.   It has high theoretical DPS, but the accuracy is terrible and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.  Also pathetic magsize:reload which makes sustained engagement not practical.  In actual use it behaves like an automatic shotgun but it can't hold a candle to the Boar Prime.

Edited by Momaw

you mean not a real Heavy machine gun but more of an Auto Cannon, i think it would require a slower movement effect while firing, and unless you use explosive rounds it would be hard to expect heavy damage from a slow projectile weapon, plus low accuracy/high recoil + not hit scan is a sure way to screw a weapon (ask Supra).

Like AA-12 with custom rounds in "Expendables"? I would like to see this one. Also, IMO, the gun that can't be built into proc is boring. High level enemies can be quite nasty and stand tall under raw damage. If we want a new machinegun it has to be really fun to use. I like Supra for its "bullet hive". But I dislike Soma, cause it is rather plain in its terms of use. Gorgon Wraith has great potential, but heavy spread. I think, it's not so easy to make a stylish, useful and interesting gun.

Do you know what mods are?

No, what are mods?

Every weakness you have to patch up is a slot that is NOT boosting your damage. Fast hands? That's nice. You just lost +60% damage.  I like big chunky guns. The Gorgon Wraith is like, my second-most-used weapon in the entire game.  But compare the Gwraith to the Supra.... More accurate, same magazine with better reload time, better crits, WAY better status chance.  The Supra doesn't crit, it doesn't status, it chews through its magazine in seconds and it's slow as hell to reload.  It has nothing going for it except that hypothetical DPS, and it doesn't even work out to be a realized advantage because of its wild accuracy.  Other guns have higher hypothetical and practical DPS, without the weaknesses costing you mod slots.

Supra is just bad.

When you try to compare hitscan and non-hitscan weapon it sounds as lame as debates about taking Loki or Frost to T4 defence. Totally different approach.

Except even that, the Supra gets wrong.  Non-hitscan weapons that shoot bolts or arrows can do ragdoll damage.

Do you know what mods are?

while Gorgon/Gorgon Wraith can improve accuracy lowering recoil, supra suffers from worse bullet spread which cannot be modded.

When you try to compare hitscan and non-hitscan weapon it sounds as lame as debates about taking Loki or Frost to T4 defence. Totally different approach.

the point is if it can get away with it by still being useful or fun, actually one of my all time favorites is Dera and its non hit-scan. 

The Gorgon Wraith is like, my second-most-used weapon in the entire game.  But compare the Gwraith to the Supra.... More accurate, same magazine with better reload time, better crits, WAY better status chance. 

And here  thought I was the only one sporting the GWraith as a favorite, considering other guns do more damage and I just like how the gun feels. xD