Psa(?): Affinity Shared Between Teammates Have A Limited Range

Casardis

Question

I've met someone while playing on a mobile defense mission that distance between teammates doesn't affect the affinity gain shared by others that make the kill. They also said that the information on the wiki, which tells of an approximate 50m of range to receive shared XP by teammates, is "the old system." According to that person, this was a recent change made in a few updates back.

I was skeptical, since it was common knowledge that affinity gained from other players' kills have a range. It doesn't help that I don't see any affinity numbers popping up, nor do I see the affinity bar flashing, whenever a teammate's too far away and makes a kill.

So I made a test myself with a person from recruiting channel (thanks Watchmyswagger) to try and confirm it. I did an Exterminate mission on Earth and stayed at spawn. The results are as followed.

f62jzmW.jpg

B8p89MR.jpg

Zero affinity gained.

I'm posting this to inform certain people (new players especially) that there's indeed a range for affinity gain, so be wise as a team when you're looking to help you and the other Tenno supporting you. This is also to inform others not to trust such false claims spread by those who don't want to stick together for XP share when playing in defense-type missions.

As for the person/people who believed that there was a change to affinity system when it comes to team kills and XP sharing in the PvE section of the game, please revise your statements, especially if you believed them to be factual. Thank you.

Yeah people misread and thought the pvp affinity change was for the whole game for some reason. It never changed

Edited by Casardis

13 answers to this question

I would like to mention, your result is right, the whole map affinity share range was for pvp not pve, but staying at the same spot doing nothing for a while will put you into afk mode and you wont get affinity anyway. stying at one spot an killing enemies with weapons counts as being active, using only abilities not. be aware of that

I would like to mention, your result is right, the whole map affinity share range was for pvp not pve, but staying at the same spot doing nothing for a while will put you into afk mode and you wont get affinity anyway. stying at one spot an killing enemies with weapons counts as being active, using only abilities not. be aware of that

I am aware of that, so I was moving around spawn. Thanks for the heads up though.

Edited by Casardis

i've always known that affinity had a range. I'm pretty sure its 50m (use your scanner to check the range) but idk

That's what I thought too; that it was common knowledge, especially for long-time players. The person who was misinformed (likely for the reason theclinton mentioned) was seemingly a long-time player too since they were mastery rank 15.

Still, misinformation can happen, and at times, those misinform people might think their acquired false knowledge are facts. I don't hold anything against them for that since it can happen to the best of us, but I thought it would be important to make such a post so it happens a bit less often.

This is the only issue that is preventing Excavation missions from becoming the best thing since peanut butter.

Hmm, peanuts~

Edited by Casardis

i was just there on that mission with you Cassardis.  =)

I believe interception is the only game mode now where XP is shared always regardless of map location.

Hey Sushi~! XD Your name's hard to forget haha.

I didn't know that about Interception. I'll have to test that! As much as I'd like that to happen to other defense-type missions as well, it sounds like a double-edged sword.

Edited by Casardis

Hey Sushi~! XD Your name's hard to forget haha.

I didn't know that about Interception. I'll have to test that! As much as I'd like that to happen to other defense-type missions as well, it sounds like a double-edged sword.

Yeah we were at Kiste right?  some dude wasn't at the terminal and kept killing far away from us.

Just did another one and I can tell you the one we were in was better.  Those dudes went really far away.  They'll learn once they start failing missions though.

Anyways, yeah the devs probably decided to make interception the only mode to share xp like that, because players need to cover different points of the map to succeed.  Cerberus on Pluto is a great example of this.  The map is relatively large, even if it's just 2 players, both players  need to be apart from each other often.

See ya around.  =)

Edited by sushidubya

As for the person/people who believed that there was a change to affinity system when it comes to team kills and XP sharing in the PvE section of the game, please revise your statements, especially if you believed them to be factual. Thank you.

Thing is, there was a change - the range was greatly increased. Not sure if its 50m now or was before, but the range nearly doubled sometime between damage 2.0 and melee 2.0.

And to farther the PSA, that range is between the two PLAYERS, not the other player and the target killed. So sniping an enemy from extreme range won't prevent the guy next to you from getting XP for the kill.

Thing is, there was a change - the range was greatly increased. Not sure if its 50m now or was before, but the range nearly doubled sometime between damage 2.0 and melee 2.0.

And to farther the PSA, that range is between the two PLAYERS, not the other player and the target killed. So sniping an enemy from extreme range won't prevent the guy next to you from getting XP for the kill.

Yep to both statements. Pretty sure it's 50 now, as it was shorter before.

Edited by Casardis