Big New Player Experience Feedback - 50Hrs

Nepheru

Warframe New Player Experience

--------Good stuff - These stand out and make the game great
-Tutorial quest is great, covers a lot of ground
-My ship is super awesome.  Its a shame I can't customize it or expand it or fly it.  I would pay for these things
-UI and Sound are both excellent, Love them.

-Intro sequences make me feel awesome entering a new location

--------Critical - These hurt the game to the point it might cause people to give up
Default controls are painful!  - My pinky was aching after spending so much time rolling from holding shift down to ctrl to move around.  I moved crouch to my mouse side button but even my thumb aches.  I like the movement options but I wish they didn't hurt to use.  Shift ctrl is not sustainable.
Grouping - This may seriously cause me to quit.  I can't find anyone my level to play with.  Soloing is hard but the only other option is being dragged through the level by super high level players who kill everything.  Needs some kind of matchmaking other than waiting, which usually gives me some OP guy who cruises through the level ahead of me and I get no challenge.
Unlocking new planets - I didn't know how this was done and had to ask in chat
Stamina - 50 hrs in and I know stamina is a thing. (I didn't know it existed for the first 40 hours) I still can't find the stamina meter.
Choosing my first warframe was impossible.  I have no clue what the range or damage of my skills are compared to the things I am fighting.  Newbie warframes need to have clear roles like tanking, ranged fighting, or healing
How do I compare weapons?  They are all really expensive but other players clearly do many times more damage than I do even after max rank.  Some of this could be mods but I can't tell.

Less hidden options to buy platinum - Its too easy to ignore the platinum system entirely.  I found the color system when changing appearance nice, but other newbies never found it and I had to show them.  Since cosmetics are an important revenue stream this should be in the tutorial.  Also in the market, list items for platinum and blueprints for credits together so we confront that
"buy it now or craft it for 24 hrs" dilemma in the face.  Its easy not to think about.
Accessing panels/crates/etc can be really frustrating  Many times I'm standing next to it looking at it and cant get the option to open it.
Crates in levels - They seem pointless.  Other than the occaisional nav beacon (which I still havent used)  Takes a lot of time to open them, and the resulting credits are (if you take tons of time to clear the level) maybe half of the bonus you'd get for just doing another mission.  Maybe better if all resources came from these instead of kills?
Timers - I didnt see the timers on the left side of my screen for the first 10 hrs of play.  Failed my first rank test because I thought I had forever.  Many people are less observant than me, I'm sure some of them are at 100 or 200hrs (or gave up) never knowing where to find the timer.
Market - Sort weapons by type so I can see all the shotguns together, all the sniper rifles together, etc.  Knowing what to get next requires checking all the weapons to find all the rifles to write down the stats to compare them, it's tedious to the point of impossibility.
Seeing how much money I have - I always forget where to look and often can't find it
The stalker - He appeared in my game and killed everyone.  Which was cool except I had no idea who he was or why he was there and had to read the wiki.

----------Painful - You play through it but it makes the game sour and kills enjoyment
Sentinels - After buying/crafting/using my first one I still have no idea which is best for a particular role.  Their descriptions say nothing about what the abilities do or the range of its attack or its HP or anything.
I spent platinum on revives, not knowing I would get 4 more 2 hrs later for free.
Extractors - which do I put on which planets?  Its clear what is rare and what is not for each planet but in the long course of the game I have no idea which I need, and extractors require investment and longterm thinking
Sentinels vs kubrows - Not clear ingame what the difference is.  I can't use my kubrow until I read up on the wiki how its mechanics go.  Other players wont read the wiki and just lose their kubrow.
Grineer radio chatter in my ship - Can I tune into Tenno chatter instead?  Can I tune in to my clan teamspeak?  Most importantly can I turn it off?
Kill credits - When I'm in a group with 4 players and enemies are exploding all over, I want to know which ones I'm killing.  Aside from the percentage at the end I can't tell and that's frustrating.  Give us an indicator of when we make the kill (or do the most damage depending on what game design cares for)
Stealth - Some mission types can't be done as stealth such as capture.  The enemy always spots you and runs away, and a solo stealth player can't chase.
Market - Why are there 2 markets?  Theres the market I know about in my ship and aparrently a different one from the clan trading hall.  Confusing.
Rankup tests - It was unclear to me that I needed to do them to unlock anything and besides, the option to rank up is hidden.
Status effects - Until I read the wiki on what the mod about 2.5% status chance meant, I didn't know status effects even existed

----------Annoyance - These are just annoying and you wish they could be fixed quickly (most probably can)
Codex scanning - My codex is full of all kinds of knowledge.  None of it was scanned by me.  What is a codex scanner for if I already have a dictionary of everything?  Even after reading the wiki it sounds useless.
Nav Beacons look just like energy orbs and I can't tell the difference
What are nav beacons for?  Almost 50hrs into the game I have never used one.  Some kind of lategame crafting I don't care about for a long time.
Damaged mods turned out to be useful to keep.  I trashed a ton of them upgrading because they were "damaged" so I figured non-damaged must be better.  It isn't.
Timers in sabotage - Should be bright red in the middle of the screen and alarms should be going off.  You just sent their reactor critical, its going to explode...why is there no tension?
Survival on earth - How does the grineer turn off the atmosphere on an entire planet, and how to little tower things letting off gas let you keep any?  Needs to be a different mechanic
Clan dojo - I can visit is any time if I'm contributing, but if I'm just clicking the other button to go there, someone needs to host.  Why?
The sound for your destination plays on the loading screen.  There should be some kind of space travel ambient noise until the screen shows.
Kubros are cool but they ruin the scripted entrances by hovering or walking in front of the camera.  Kubrows need animated entrances too.
Achievements - I have all the shotgun achievements because my sentinel kills things.  I dont even own a shotgun and I shouldnt get credit for those kills except as sentinel kills maybe.  I'm certainly NOT a shotgun master because I AFK with my sentinel watching.
Affinity challenges - Why do bow kills count for rifle affinity points?
Affinity challenges - Why can I get a "hack one console" challenge on missions with no consoles to hack like tower defenses?
Affinity challenges - 20 pistol kills is too high.  On an exterminate mission on earth the wild kubrows killed so many grineer I couldnt complete it despite killing only with my pistol.
Affinity - Is there any point in getting more affinity past rank 30?  I dont know but I do them anyway for a little challenge.  I wish I could spend it or earn credits for it past 30.

Edited by Synaps4

I'll give a "hell yeah" to this. I watched my girlfriend play this game and after several days of coaching her through one mission at a time, it became apparent to me that the this game lacks heavily in terms of explaining things. As a veteran player, it's hard to see this. As a developer, it is also probably hard to see this, because those two types of people already understand everything.

You need to watch someone who's never played this before go through the tutorial and try to go forward from there. Kudos to you for taking the time and making the effort to write out this list.

Well for starters, the stamina bar is right below your Health and Shields, it's the little green bar.  The Nav Beacons are used for later OD, or Orokin Derelict missions, which consist of Capture, Survival, Defense (The most common one), Exterminate, Assassinate, and I think one or two more.  The thing that I know for a fact is that there is no point in getting affinity if all of your gear equipped is rank 30.

Read the bold. Answers to some of your complaints. 

Agreed.
-My ship is super awesome.  Its a shame I can't customize it or expand it or fly it.  I would pay for these things

Agreed. DE stated that ship customization will be a thing, it's just a matter of time :D

Agreed.

Agreed.

--------Critical - These hurt the game to the point it might cause people to give up
Default controls are painful!  - My pinky was aching after spending so much time rolling from holding shift down to ctrl to move around.  I moved crouch to my mouse side button but even my thumb aches.  I like the movement options but I wish they didn't hurt to use.  Shift ctrl is not sustainable.

I don't really agree with this, I don't find a problem with it. You can always change your controls in "options" if it's that uncomfortable for you.
Grouping - This may seriously cause me to quit.  I can't find anyone my level to play with.  Soloing is hard but the only other option is being dragged through the level by super high level players who kill everything.  Needs some kind of matchmaking other than waiting, which usually gives me some OP guy who cruises through the level ahead of me and I get no challenge.

More of the people your playing with than DE's problem. You could join a clan or go into recruiting to find players of your level, but I understand that's a hassle. I solo'd the first planet, except for when I got to Vor, and by that time I was thankful that higher levels were helping. 

Agreed. How planet progression works should be more obvious.
Stamina - 50 hrs in and I know stamina is a thing. (I didn't know it existed for the first 40 hours) I still can't find the stamina meter.

It's the green bar right under your health and shields. Although I agree, the tutorial should tell you what it is.
Choosing my first warframe was impossible.  I have no clue what the range or damage of my skills are compared to the things I am fighting.  Newbie warframes need to have clear roles like tanking, ranged fighting, or healing

I don't really agree. This game isn't like all other F2P games, or MMO's that have clear cut classes like that. Ranged fighting is every frame, as they all use guns. Healing is trinity, and Oberon, and tanking is Frost, Rhino or Valkyr. If that helps. I like the starters as we have them now though, easy to use. Loki was cut out because he wasn't easy to use for newbs. :3
How do I compare weapons?  They are all really expensive but other players clearly do many times more damage than I do even after max rank.  Some of this could be mods but I can't tell.

It's all mods.

Less hidden options to buy platinum - Its too easy to ignore the platinum system entirely.  I found the color system when changing appearance nice, but other newbies never found it and I had to show them.  Since cosmetics are an important revenue stream this should be in the tutorial.  Also in the market, list items for platinum and blueprints for credits together so we confront that

Agreed. Although if DE just came right out and said "You can only get colors by paying" in the tutorial, it might turn some people away.
"buy it now or craft it for 24 hrs" dilemma in the face.  Its easy not to think about.

Agreed.
Accessing panels/crates/etc can be really frustrating  Many times I'm standing next to it looking at it and cant get the option to open it.

Never really encountered this. I have no opinion. 
Crates in levels - They seem pointless.  Other than the occaisional nav beacon (which I still havent used)  Takes a lot of time to open them, and the resulting credits are (if you take tons of time to clear the level) maybe half of the bonus you'd get for just doing another mission.  Maybe better if all resources came from these instead of kills?

I'm pretty sure you can get Nav. Beacons from killing things, also. It's better to have loot crates, though. If you're ever out of ammo, and there aren't any enemies around, or the enemies are too powerful for melee, loot crates are practically Jesus coming from Heaven. 
Timers - I didnt see the timers on the left side of my screen for the first 10 hrs of play.  Failed my first rank test because I thought I had forever.  Many people are less observant than me, I'm sure some of them are at 100 or 200hrs (or gave up) never knowing where to find the timer.

I saw the timer as soon as I did my first MR test... IDK I guess I'm just good at noticing things.
Market - Sort weapons by type so I can see all the shotguns together, all the sniper rifles together, etc.  Knowing what to get next requires checking all the weapons to find all the rifles to write down the stats to compare them, it's tedious to the point of impossibility.

Agreed. This would be great.
Seeing how much money I have - I always forget where to look and often can't find it

Agreed.
The stalker - He appeared in my game and killed everyone.  Which was cool except I had no idea who he was or why he was there and had to read the wiki.

I guess this is due to the high level OP people invading your missions ;)

----------Painful - You play through it but it makes the game sour and kills enjoyment
Sentinels - After buying/crafting/using my first one I still have no idea which is best for a particular role.  Their descriptions say nothing about what the abilities do or the range of its attack or its HP or anything.

Read up on the Wiki. Although I do agree that DE could be more clear on the roles and lore of Frames + Sentinels. They are learning though, as they did a great job with this on Kubrows.
I spent platinum on revives, not knowing I would get 4 more 2 hrs later for free.

Haha, that sucks. Sorry :P I guess it could be more clear on Daily Resets, and what they do.
Extractors - which do I put on which planets?  Its clear what is rare and what is not for each planet but in the long course of the game I have no idea which I need, and extractors require investment and longterm thinking

I honestly have no idea how to use Extractors, but I always thought they were endgame stuff.
Sentinels vs kubrows - Not clear ingame what the difference is.  I can't use my kubrow until I read up on the wiki how its mechanics go.  Other players wont read the wiki and just lose their kubrow.

I guess people should just take them as being different pets, or companions. I guess I agree, it could be more clear on the differences.
Grineer radio chatter in my ship - Can I tune into Tenno chatter instead?  Can I tune in to my clan teamspeak?  Most importantly can I turn it off?

Common complaint, DE said they will give us an option to turn it off, and give more varied chatter eventually.
Kill credits - When I'm in a group with 4 players and enemies are exploding all over, I want to know which ones I'm killing.  Aside from the percentage at the end I can't tell and that's frustrating.  Give us an indicator of when we make the kill (or do the most damage depending on what game design cares for)

Agreed. I guess you could eventually start to notice which ones you kill, as you only get a percentage of the affinity when you team kills it. (affinity is shown above killed enemies.)
Stealth - Some mission types can't be done as stealth such as capture.  The enemy always spots you and runs away, and a solo stealth player can't chase.

Stealth is also a common complaint. Stealth 2.0 has been suggested by many players. I, personally don't care much for stealth in this game, and am more of a destroy everything in a flashy way kinda guy. But... yeah. 
Market - Why are there 2 markets?  Theres the market I know about in my ship and aparrently a different one from the clan trading hall.  Confusing.

2 markets? There's only the market in the ship, the trading chat, and the trading in clan dojo's.
Rankup tests - It was unclear to me that I needed to do them to unlock anything and besides, the option to rank up is hidden.

True. Agreed, with U14 this became unclear.
Status effects - Until I read the wiki on what the mod about 2.5% status chance meant, I didn't know status effects even existed

Agreed. DE could be more clear on this.

----------Annoyance - These are just annoying and you wish they could be fixed quickly (most probably can)
Codex scanning - My codex is full of all kinds of knowledge.  None of it was scanned by me.  What is a codex scanner for if I already have a dictionary of everything?  Even after reading the wiki it sounds useless.

I don't even know what a codex scanner is. Agreed.

Agreed. But, I'm assuming the texture for this (and resources), are placeholders for now.
What are nav beacons for?  Almost 50hrs into the game I have never used one.  Some kind of lategame crafting I don't care about for a long time.

Pretty much, yes.
Damaged mods turned out to be useful to keep.  I trashed a ton of them upgrading because they were "damaged" so I figured non-damaged must be better.  It isn't.

Non-Damaged are significantly better. I find no use for damged mods, but I guess they could be used for credit-inefficient fusion.
Timers in sabotage - Should be bright red in the middle of the screen and alarms should be going off.  You just sent their reactor critical, its going to explode...why is there no tension?

Agreed.
Survival on earth - How does the grineer turn off the atmosphere on an entire planet, and how to little tower things letting off gas let you keep any?  Needs to be a different mechanic

I guess you missed the Excavation Event. DE has addressed this, and they made a new game-type that will be replacing planetary survival missions, that should be shipping with U15.

Clan dojo - I can visit is any time if I'm contributing, but if I'm just clicking the other button to go there, someone needs to host.  Why?

I... I don't know. Never had this problem.
The sound for your destination plays on the loading screen.  There should be some kind of space travel ambient noise until the screen shows.

True. Probably just a bug nobody else has cared to post about, yet. Good job :D
Kubros are cool but they ruin the scripted entrances by hovering or walking in front of the camera.  Kubrows need animated entrances too.

True. But not that big of an issue for me. Might not be too big of a priority for DE, but will probably be fixed eventually.
Achievements - I have all the shotgun achievements because my sentinel kills things.  I dont even own a shotgun and I shouldnt get credit for those kills except as sentinel kills maybe.  I'm certainly NOT a shotgun master because I AFK with my sentinel watching.

I personally like my Sentinel/Kubrow massacring everything. But, that's just me. 

Placeholder, I guess.
Affinity challenges - Why can I get a "hack one console" challenge on missions with no consoles to hack like tower defenses?

Challenges are a bit... overlooked, should I say.
Affinity challenges - 20 pistol kills is too high.  On an exterminate mission on earth the wild kubrows killed so many grineer I couldnt complete it despite killing only with my pistol.

^^
Affinity - Is there any point in getting more affinity past rank 30?  I dont know but I do them anyway for a little challenge.  I wish I could spend it or earn credits for it past 30.

Wait for Focus. Focus = http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Focus

Edited by Jahadaya

Always need new players feedback

Some things though

Default controls - always make your own controls when you can

Grouping - didn't know it was in this state, interesting point

Unlocking new planets - seems it still need some things

Starting warframes - Forgot how the starters are presented from when I did the prologue

Market - not absolute necessity but could get better indeed

Money - I've got the same problem actually I need to open whichever something to see how much credit I have it's a bit annoying

Stalker - wasn't it funny? right, could get some presentation from when he begins to send his mails maybe.

Sentinels - somewhat agree

revives - too bad

extractors - not necessary for now it's something that come when you know more of the game

Sentinels vs Kubrows - somewhat of a good point

Stealth - need more info

Rankups - Have to agree, things could be more clear

Status effect - it's something you can observe naturally, not much problems

Codex - well codex IMO needs more

Damaged mods - for new players I guess

Survival on earth - going to be changed

Clan dojo - did you craft the key?

Kubrows intro - lol

Rest are somewhat okay, kind of normal to think of.

Very good feedback, OP.

Most of the points raised here were seen on the forums already, but still it's worth repeating.

Since it's a new user feedback, it's what DE must focus on right now.

To sum up :

- more INFO !! (everywhere : lore and useful details in the codex, detailed tooltips on every thing in the menus, clearer UI in menus and in game, more info on game mechanics like xp sharing or clear effect of armor on damage) Let's make the wikia useless. That would be awesome.

- better coop experience (smarter matchmaking system ? Replace the map system by more dynamic events in which players always have an impact ?)

- coherence (it's slowly improving)

- focus system for experience after lvl 30 (they're working on it, before 2015 maybe)

- you didn't mention parkour being glitchy / unresponsive sometimes ? It's a common complaint

Edited by Lluid

I've been talking 2 or 3 work friends through their first few dozen hours, I've come across a lot of similar queries...

As well as a surprising level of ignorance to my greater experience. Apparently ~1,000 hours of gameplay is less informative than the assumptions they've drawn from past experience in other games and assumptions it'll translate...

Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything about the OP, more show the consequences of some of their points in other, less logical people.

As much as I appreciate the people replying to say  "You can remap your controls" and "you can read that on the wiki"...

I posted that I did lots of both of those.  most new players wont.  They just don't. The bar for moving to another game is too low that if there is resistance, stuff that they dont understand...they have 5 other games they wanted to try and its not worth the effort to stay and teach themselves this one.

Our discussion is great but these are mostly things for the devs to know are not self explanatory.  Personally I do read the wiki and I can ask around to find out, because I like the game and am willing to invest enough to do my own research on the parts I don't understand.

The way it works is you need to grab people and then invest them in the game until they are invested enough to learn the wiki for advanced things.  Basic things need to be taught organically by the game, or the bar to leave for another game which does teach them is too low to keep a newbie interested.

If your game requires reading the fan generated wiki in order to understand basic things, something is wrong.  My hope with this post is just to highlight these things because I know as a player (and as a dev) it's easy to get blind to this kind of stuff after thousands of hours.

Regarding grouping, someone mentioned going into recruiting?  Really?  Well I tried.  After spamming that chat for 30 mins to find a newbie I gave up and thats how I added it to my list.  Recruit chat is simply not going to cut it as a matchmaking system.

Edited by Synaps4

Regarding grouping, someone mentioned going into recruiting?  Really?  Well I tried.  After spamming that chat for 30 mins to find a newbie I gave up and thats how I added it to my list.  Recruit chat is simply not going to cut it as a matchmaking system.

Yeah that was me who mentioned going into recruiting lol. I only said that if you were desperately trying to find a low level group. But, I agreed with you. (Although I didn't outright say it like I did with the others)

Edited by Jahadaya

Please no. I don't want to go out of my way from the fun of killing to open stupid crates like I am in borderlands.

Actually I was thinking how similar the current system is to borderlands.  Borderlands 2 anyway.  A little ammo and so little credits in each that its really not worth it to open crates in either game.

They are almost exactly the same.

I'd rather that the resources had to be gathered from somewhere around the level, either by stealing them from a transport or storage, or maybe by guarding a robot as it picks up the loot we want.

New Player Experience 3.0!!!!!

This actually made me kinda sad. 50 hours in and a new player is oblivious to half the game: As a developer I would consider that a failure. I love warframe, but 50 hours is the time it takes to COMPLETE 2-4 AAA title RPG games (good ones). Although its difficult to complete a game such as Warframe, 50 hours should be more than enough time to learn every aspect of the game.

As for damage, full build, 8 mods, provides up to 51 times base dps, worst fully modded weapon will be better than best non modded one.

Weapon ranks in themselves are useless, they start to matter only when you put some mods on them.

Edited by Davoodoo

while i agree with some of your points, when i started warframe i regard it as a semi-single player game, so i read wiki a lot and played a lot of solo games. my early progress was really slow, but i learnt a lot from facing stronger enemies with inferior weapons. but then, there werent many high level players back then, so i suppose u r right on grouping.

for the annoyances, er... not sure what to say, they are just some minor glitches, just ignore them.

Edited by Eric1738

The part about grouping the weapons together in the market, by type and organized by base damage, is important.

I absolutely hate that there's literally no way to determine if a weapon is better or not without reading the wiki.  The prices seem to be based on demand, and only tangentially related to their effectiveness.  Sure, you can sit there and pen-and-paper all the stats to guesstimate which weapon is better, but usually it requires buying/building a weapon and modding it and seeing for yourself if it was worth the time to even buy it in the first place...

Why does Nekros print cost 100k credits, but other frames are 35k?

Why are some weapons 125 plat, and others are more?  Some are credits only?

An explanation of the prime/wraith/vandal would be splendid too.  There's got to be a way to work that into the introductory gameplay and lore, rather than saying "go read the codex".  Why is the codex there?  Where did it come from?  How does it relate to my gameplay?  How do I get more information into the codex?

blah blah blah...I wonder how much of this DE already has on their list of stuff to do?

-OP-

--------Critical Response 

Default controls are painful!  - No one uses Crtl. Keybind it to some other key, or learn to use the V key for auto sliding. This becomes obvious in 2 minutes once your finger starts hurting.

Grouping - Go to the introduction forums and find some new players to play with. OR go to recruiting chat to group up with someone non-overpowered. Might take time, but chillax. Otherwise learn to live the PUG life like most of us.

Unlocking new planets - If you progress through all missions, it becomes rather obvious when there is a prompt to actually put the segment into your navigator. Or maybe I just come from a generation of gamers where we actually used to try everything once.

Stamina - Its a green bar below your health and shield stats and it becomes obvious once your character can't keep on sprinting. It's..really obvious

Choosing my first warframe was impossible - Read the wiki first, if not, guess what, all frames are just about equal. The starter frames are relatively equal in what they can do. Roles get defined with frames unlocked later.

How do I compare weapons?  Go to wiki or go to warframe builder: http://warframe-builder.com/ [You could also do your own testing like most of us did when we were newbies =_+]

Less hidden options to buy platinum - Don't understand this one. Do you want to buy plat or not? Most people just buy enough to power up and then farm their own.

Accessing panels/crates/etc can be really frustrating  - Learn to use the escape button and then navigate from there. The old UI was better anyhow.

Crates in levels - Nav Beacons are used for Derelict keys. Everything has a purpose in the game, but nobody opens containers unless they're the explorer type. Since you figured out its pointless, carry on. But when you hit the upper levels, you'll learn their purpose. So don't worry about them.

Timers - Timers are pretty obvious to see and you are often informed if something is timed. You can also check the wiki for info on mastery rank tests. Learn to use information about a game. If you don't you'll quit anyway.

Market - If you're clever, you'll be able to tell what's what in a single glance. No need to write down and compare. If you were into number crunching you would have gone on the wiki and compared all the stats there, rather than going to the market place. Trust me, look and feel is more important than number crunching, unless you're a min-maxer like me.

Seeing how much money I have - You get used to it.

The stalker - Unless you are MR5 he really shouldn't be attacking. Its a bug I think. Or a pro was in your group. If the pro was in though, he shouldn't have lost.

----------Painful Response

Sentinels - Learn to use the wiki for this sort of stuff. Seriously, a good deal of your concerns are wiki solved. Also is it so hard to test each one? You need to master everything anyway.

I spent platinum on revives - They get refreshed daily. 

Extractors - They're useless, farm resources on your own.

Sentinels vs Kubrows - If they have that kind of bank to buy a Kubrow so early, they should have the brains to check the wiki. If they lose their kubrow they lose it, their fault for not noticing DNA decay. As for which is better, I am a sentinel fan, others are kubrow fans, again you have to test it for yourself and actually play the game to figure out. There is no clear answer and that is what I like about Warframe it allows for individuality.

Grineer radio chatter in my ship - It's forver

Kill credits - Doesn't matter, XP shared. The best part is that those killed by others give you bonus exp to all items, those killed by you only level the frame and the weapon used. At higher levels I play CC and let others level my weapons for me.

Stealth - You don't need stealth in warframe

Market - One is for player to player trading. The in-game market is just for blueprints and the like. The player market is for prime parts, rare mods etc.

Rankup tests - One of the only things I agree with, it's an annoyance.

Status effects - It is clearly stated on a weapon 'Status'. That would trigger most people to read. Even if they are ignorant, they'll learn it later on...the hard way.

Overall - Don't be in a rush, read and take your time to actually play the game. People don't need to know everything right from the start. Discovery is part of being a gamer. Having everything handed to you on a platter is part of being lazy. Information is power and those with more info will dominate those without.

you lose everytime you say it's on the wiki /game

--------Critical Response
Grouping - Go to the introduction forums and find some new players to play with. OR go to recruiting chat to group up with someone non-overpowered. Might take time, but chillax. Otherwise learn to live the PUG life like most of us.

- What's he complaining about is that in PUG new player will often get non new player, which I don't know if it's because the new players are few in numbers or something, but it's still unpleasant.

he also spent some time on the recruit chat

Unlocking new planets - If you progress through all missions, it becomes rather obvious when there is a prompt to actually put the segment into your navigator. Or maybe I just come from a generation of gamers where we actually used to try everything once.

- I more or less think the same but it's a complaint that come out regularly, since I already unlocked the planets and had no problem with segments when I get them, I personnally don't see what is confusing but if it's something that is regularly mentionned then it means what it means.

How do I compare weapons?  Go to wiki or go to warframe builder: http://warframe-builder.com/ [You could also do your own testing like most of us did when we were newbies =_+]

- this is just my opinion but there is around 150 weapons I think and you cannot test unless you have slots, or if you're willing to buy and then throw them away, [implying a number of things.]

Seeing how much money I have - You get used to it.

- I'm not new but I still can't get over it

The stalker - Unless you are MR5 he really shouldn't be attacking. Its a bug I think. Or a pro was in your group. If the pro was in though, he shouldn't have lost.

- That's what he implied from grouping above, he isn't playing with new players

----------Painful Response

Stealth - You don't need stealth in warframe

- ... it's just about the way you say it, I'm not saying it seriously, but... you're out.

Overall - Don't be in a rush, read and take your time to actually play the game. People don't need to know everything right from the start. Discovery is part of being a gamer. Having everything handed to you on a platter is part of being lazy. Information is power and those with more info will dominate those without.

Personally, that's also what I think, how players should always play, but there are some circumstances too, there are people that are willing to be patient and learn things as they come and some that don't, and warframe as a game should normally be targeting a large playerbase, experienced or not.

Last I ran it it still didn't explain any of the gamemodes, which I personally consider a huge oversight and which leads to veterans having to go over the basics of these mission types every. single. mission when newbies are involved. So yes, new tutorial is much better than the old one, but it's nowhere near exhaustive enough.

To each their own. I personally don't care much about the Liset the fact that it came with slower menus (due to the transitions) even makes me edge towards "dislike" rather than "indifferent".

Agreed.

Agreed (also love they brought back the "mission inflight" sequences).

I kinda like the default controls, they mimic many other games (eg. shift is very very often used to sprint, making discovery by new players easier) they are easy enough to change though.

In my experience soloing is quite viable (I solo'd all of Mercury needed for progression a little less than a year ago when I started, this includes Vor) and most missions that are hard to solo tend to have people in them (survival, mobile defense, etc). If this is not the case anymore then something somewhere changed for the worse, maybe Dark Sectors are to blame as the aforementioned missions used to be rather good for farming resources... Either way, if people only run the Void and DS anymore then that is a serious problem that needs addressing.

The tutorial tells you this so you likely missed that bit of info.

This one should be pretty obvious for anyone who's played modern shooters before, that said, if it isn't mentioned in the tutorial it probably should be, assuming everyone has played shooters (or games) before is not a good point to start from when designing a tutorial.

You are thinking from a MMO perspective, this is the wrong way to go about it. I don't remember how they were presented (eg. did you see the descriptions of their various abilities, if not, that should be added)

This is a fair point. There are now so many weapons in the game that it becomes really hard to see the forest through the trees, adding a comparison option or filter (on damage type, and mastery requirement) option to the Codes would be a good start. Mentioning somewhere that credit buyable weapons are generally considered starting weapons would also be a good idea.

I like how DE is not too in-your-face with the platinum. I'd think people would run into it fairly soon though (as soon as they open the market, in fact), making sure they know Platinum is the "premium" currency is, however, important and it should be clearly stated either in the tutorial or when a new player tries to use plat for the first time.

As in most games: just assume you'll find out eventually what things you don't know the use for are useful for. Or use Google (or the Wiki, though one will likely lead to the other anyway)

Eh, I thought the timers were fairly obvious, also Lotus at least used to mention wheter a mastery test was timed or not (so if you missed the timer you could go looking for it then...). If she no longer does this this probably  needs to be added back in.

Yup, better filters would be nice, though I don't think they necessarily need to be in the market (see Codes remark above)

It pops up whenever you are in a screen where you can spend it, however I personally also liked how in the old UI your money was always displayed everywhere.

That's part of his mystique, like getting killed by Deathwing in WoW.

Would have to check ingame.

Not sure about this one, I thought it says somewhere they get refreshed every 24hours, but I can't be sure anymore. Should probably be stated when you try to buy new ones.

Extractors shouldn't be something a new player bothers with (and they are something many a veteran doesn't bother with either, including yours truly)

The entire Kubrow thing needs looking at really. They really shouldn't be available this easily to new players given the cost of their upkeep.

Radio chatter is ambient and will change based on which planet you are at. Afaik you cannot turn it off. (kinda surprised you didn't ask if you could turn Ordis off ;))

When not lagging you should have a decent idea of how you're doing. I think in the esc menu you there is an option to see current mission progress (including drops), not sure if it also lists the stats though, if not it might be relatively easy to add. I'm also not sure how accurate the stats at the end of the mission are, they used to be wildly inaccurate, not sure if they still are though.

Hmm, never tried to stealth a capture mission. But stealth in general is pretty broken in the game so yeah...

Actually no, there is the Market and the Dojo Trading Post which is usually used in conjunction with the Trade Channel.

It adds a new menu item to your main menu, it's pretty hard to miss... Though being more explicit about it and what the benefits are might be a good idea. (though if you browsed the market you should have come across mastery locked items which at least should have given you a hint)

They added new tips to the mod menu that try to explain some of this, though this is an area that can definitely be improved *a lot*.

Codex scanning - My codex is full of all kinds of knowledge.  None of it was scanned by me.  What is a codex scanner for if I already have a dictionary of everything? 

Even after reading the wiki it sounds useless.

Pretty sure your enemies bit of the codes isn't exatly filled in. Codes mostly shows you who drops specific mods and what their weaknesses are. Not as useful as it could be, but not exactly useless either.

I can't even tell the difference between a lot of the drops due to being red/green colourblind. Just loot all the things, it worked for me :P

As in most games: if you don't know what it's for and it doesn't take up space in your inventory then don't worry about it and assume it's either a leftover of removed content or something that will become clear later (in this case it's the latter).

Some of them are useful for some purposes yes, generally the non-damaged ones are better though. Not sure why you'd trash them, it's not like you have limited mod inventory space.

At least in Corpus missions there are alarms. Not sure in Grineer.

Different mechanics is incoming, this game's in beta, a lot of things are still placeholder.

Because that's how the clan leadership has set it up. It's a way to avoid just anyone to join a clan just to leach all the hard work that went into research, whether it's a good way is another matter.

Sounds like a bug.

Because "rifle" just means "primary weapon" a lot of the time, which a bow is (same as a rocket launcher).

Yeah, that's pretty broken, it's been brought up before, hopefully it'll eventually get changed.

How many hostiles were there to kill? Sometimes it's just hard to get the extra goals, but it's not usually impossible.

No there isn't (though it keeps counting up in the stats menu, I think to give an indication of how much you use a certain weapon/warframe).

you lose everytime you say it's on the wiki /game

Personally, that's also what I think, how players should always play, but there are some circumstances too, there are people that are willing to be patient and learn things as they come and some that don't, and warframe as a game should normally be targeting a large playerbase, experienced or not.

That's the problem I've had getting my friends to play. Most of them give up because they can't figure out what they should be doing, and the ones that don't present me with a list of questions every other day.

I'm slightly fanatical regarding this game (in the defend it to the death sense of the word) but I just can't justify the total lack of information in this game. Even simple things like "what this item you're holding does". Mods have the most basic description possible, which workds for "+40% Health" (even if the often don't mention the Base only part), but then you have mods like Energy Channel. Nothing to do with channeling energy, and a nice ambigious description. Some of the worst offenders are Warframe Abilities, where without the wikia, you'll have no idea what so ever.

But that's a rant for another time, best not get carried away :)

I also consider abilty mods the worst offender in the game lol, maybe have something in the codex especially for abilities, but yeah there is a bunch of things and since I'm used to the game I often overlook a number of what seems normal or abnormal to have info on. Not saying everything here should be in, people somehow did manage until now.

I might recommend the game for one/two of my friends for XB1 and somehow I expect that he'll ask a tons of question, they aren't the type to go on wikis.

I sometimes think I'm far too accustomed to it. When you get the "Hey new content, to the wiki!" or "what does this do? Wiki time!" moments, I occasionally think, "Hey wait a second, shouldn't DE be telling us this? Not fans experimenting, speculating and trying to figure it out?"

Sure, it's nice to have a dedicated community, who are eager and enthusiastic and whatnot. And I'm aware that DE have plenty of important things to be working in, but it just leaves it feeling very incomplete...

Incoming "Still Beta" defence...