Does Dodging (Rolling, Handspringing) Give You Any Invincibility Frames?

Snydrex

Well, I did a search on the forums, and a glance at the wiki, and I still haven't found an answer. Maybe this is obvious, but does dodging give you any invincibility frames? Because if they don't, they seem...kinda useless.

I'm willing to bet they don't, simply because every time I've rolled into Sargas's flame shockwave, I end up laid out on my rear. But to be completely fair, I've never died while dodging. Maybe because I don't do it much. :S

So, anybody?

This isn't dark souls where rolling is key to survival.

They are there just for show as of right now, they have no practical use at all.

Well, there is PVP for rolling out of the way to avoid being staggered again when another player spams their melee weapon. So at least there is that. 

Okay so this is my experience from the changes way long ago in october last year. Please keep in mind I quit shortly afterwards, and have only come back to this game only a couple months ago and have done no formula testing since.

But from what I gathered from those changes was that no, you do not gain invul-frames. You instead gain immunity to knockdowns and staggers and a slight damage reduction (like 25% or something it was a stupid number).

The knockdown/stagger immunity is pretty useful though. You'll still take a chunk of damage, but it gets you out of a pinch at times.

I still think dodging needs a buff though. 

Edited by LeoAtKnight

Well, there is PVP for rolling out of the way to avoid being staggered again when another player spams their melee weapon. So at least there is that. 

Yeah but the player base won't really use it that often. It's like a thing that you can use to survive but the way the game is played out reduces that practicality 

Yeah but the player base won't really use it that often. It's like a thing that you can use to survive but the way the game is played out reduces that practicality 

Try rolling around when an Eviscerator Slash status effects is inflicted on you. 

Those 50 damage per tick status effects just go down to around 15 damage per tick. Useful for frail Warframes. 

Most pointless thing I notice when I'm rolling is that those rockets still home in on me and projectiles still hit. Gotta love dem enemy homing rockets. I used to think it would be cool if I could dodge roll rockets/projectile weapons, but as it is currently, it just works like what other users said above.

Yes, rolling mitigates damage, if timed right it actually ignores incoming damage. All good Conclave players do that, it's a common practice on point blank range battles to keep rolling to reduce damage from hits. 

Proof:

http://youtu.be/CWotZnyFEk4?t=2m50s Keep watching til 3:10

http://youtu.be/RIUCLZzmxyc?t=4m55s Keep watching til 5:10

Can also be used to ignore Knockdowns, if timed well.

Can be used to evade spin attacks and avoid the stagger animation when you are stun locked by melee combos in PvP.

Can also mitigate damage ticks from Status procs such as Bleed and Toxin. And if timed right completely ignore them.

In case you are wondering, this works on PvE as well. It's not a PvP thing. 

Edited by RexSol

i can confirm this, 

it does have invincibility frames when you roll - tested with an opponent at dark sector - tapping roll makes you evade a mellee combo stuns

also works with bullets, it seems to have half a second invincibility

BUT, when you are in darksector or any pvp or laggy connection game

dodging will become useless at some point

though im thinking of they should revamp rolling to new longer cooler dodge animations , more ninja yes? lol

Edited by Ritchel

I did! you said rolling mitigates damage (i.e. reduces it) When this guy is saying rolling negates damage completely (inv. frames)

That's why I'm confused.

From my experience, timing affects that. Sometimes i roll and take absolutely 0 damage in PvP.