Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Companion Types From Strategic Allies

[DE]Momaw

It seems like as time goes forward, more and more groups in the system will contact the Tenno and either want us to help them or want to offer us something to get on our good side.  So why not expand on that with new companion offerings?

Red Veil Infiltrator

A human Red Veil operative, working with you as part of a cooperative strategic alliance with Red Veil leadership.

Basic abilities

Uses a suppressed machine pistol, and throws flashbang/stun grenades.  If you are low on ammunition, the Infiltrator can scrounge up an ammo pack for you occasionally.

Master ability

Upon reaching rank 30, the Infiltrator gets a personal cloaking device and a dagger. When enough enemies are present in short range combat, he will cloak and start inflicting massive sneak attack damage.

Maintenance

The Red Veil Infiltrator will only work with you if your reputation with the Red Veil is strongly positive, and you must complete at least one mission fighting against the Grineer per 2 days.

Grineer Turncoat

A Grineer soldier who has grown frustrated with the current power structure and its seeming inability to resolve his people's problems with cloning.  He has thrown in his lot with you, to gain access to the Tenno's superior medical technology.

Basic abilities

Uses a Hind battle rifle, and is equipped with extremely heavy customized armor. When badly wounded, the mercenary will attempt to disengage and use a medkit device to restore his HP.

Master ability

Upon reaching rank 30 Turncoat gets a shoulder mounted missile launcher he scavenged from a Hellion. Modified to fire single incendiary rockets, can set targets on fire.

Maintenance

Turncoat requires weekly medical treatments and cash payment.

Reprogrammed MOA

The Corpus will sell almost anything to almost anybody.  A black market arms dealer has secured a deal with a robotics fabrication plant, and can supply you with a personal Shockwave MOA that has been hardcoded to see you as its ally.

Basic abilities

Reprogrammed MOA can stomp the ground to knock down nearby enemies, and has a laser turret.

Master ability

Upon reaching rank 30,  Reprogrammed MOA can broadcast its modified program and attempt to hack enemy technology.  Robots, turrets, cameras, etc will either become allies for a while or go into a reboot (stunned).

Maintenance

Requires weekly repairs in the form of ferrite, polymer, and control modules.  (cheap to support since it is a robot, but costs a lot of credits to acquire.)

Orokin Attack Drone

Lotus has managed to get through to a damaged neural sentry and restore it to proper functioning order.  The neural sentry's facilities can produce powerful combat drones for field operations, though the automated mining and refining that used to support the factory are long gone.

Basic abilities

Rapid-fire twin laser cannons.  Flying unit, immune to crowd control. Very strong shields and armor, with high threat generation to draw fire.

Master ability

Weaponry upgraded to rapid-fire twin mass drivers, which are hitscan and can punch through enemies.

Maintenance

Requires weekly repairs in the form of ferrite, polymer, and control modules.  (cheap to support since it is a robot, but costs a lot of materials to build it)

Edited by Momaw

Maintenance

The Red Veil Infiltrator will only work with you if your reputation with the Red Veil is strongly positive, and you must complete at least one mission fighting against the Grineer per 2 days.

Maintenance

Requires weekly repairs in the form of ferrite, polymer, and control modules.  (cheap to support since it is a robot, but costs a lot of credits to acquire.)

Maintenance

Requires weekly repairs in the form of ferrite, polymer, and control modules.  (cheap to support since it is a robot, but costs a lot of materials to build it)

I like the idea of companions, but I don't like how we're going towards this whole Tomogatchi thing with the login rewards, kubrow and some of the Dojo timers. I want to avoid adding more of these arbitrary maintenance costs. I want to get on Warframe and start killing all the things. If I spend time in my ship I want it to be on my build not doing paperwork for my companions, real or NPC.

This is not an MMO and really there's nothing good about a lot of the bullcrap that MMO's pull. Example: bodies as loot containers that must be looted... all modern MMO's repeat this and then put in ranged autoloot. Sometimes it's even ranged AoE autoloot! why not just NOT do the stupid loot system in the first place, instead of repeating it and adding a workaround? I couldn't help thinking about this when they were talking about letting us craft stims to bring Kubrow out of stasis, out of freaking Argon no less. Why not just... NOT MAKE THE TIMER STUPIDLY LONG in the first place? Why make me spend rare mats that I can't stockpile as a workaround to something no one likes and doesn't create gameplay?

I want DE to be smarter than that. Just don't do these silly maintenance systems. Let me kill and customize.

If I'm not killing or customizing, it should at least just happen on it's own like login rewards do and not require me to keep up with it.

Edited by VKhaun

I actually.. like the idea of these companions/mercs a lot! Specters as is don't really add to the game and are rarely ever used, however these additions are great lore and utility wise.

Man, I'd love it if they had some dialogue too, maybe a side mission to acquire them, and another mission to earn their trust/loyalty? (Yes yes I'm thinking Mass Effect 2 style, spare me)

I like the idea of companions, but I don't like how we're going towards this whole Tomogatchi thing with the login rewards, kubrow and some of the Dojo timers. I want to avoid adding more of these arbitrary maintenance costs. I want to get on Warframe and start killing all the things. If I spend time in my ship I want it to be on my build not doing paperwork for my companions, real or NPC.

This is not an MMO and really there's nothing good about a lot of the bullcrap that MMO's pull. Example: bodies as loot containers that must be looted... all modern MMO's repeat this and then put in ranged autoloot. Sometimes it's even ranged AoE autoloot! why not just NOT do the stupid loot system in the first place, instead of repeating it and adding a workaround? I couldn't help thinking about this when they were talking about letting us craft stims to bring Kubrow out of stasis, out of freaking Argon no less. Why not just... NOT MAKE THE TIMER STUPIDLY LONG in the first place? Why make me spend rare mats that I can't stockpile as a workaround to something no one likes and doesn't create gameplay?

I want DE to be smarter than that. Just don't do these silly maintenance systems. Let me kill and customize.

If I'm not killing or customizing, it should at least just happen on it's own like login rewards do and not require me to keep up with it.

^Yes.

Upon reading this, I have to agree.

If I were to choose between Warframe leaning on being an MMO and an fast paced action packed shooter. I would choose the latter.

MMOs are generally bad without friends.

The point of having to do upkeep is that these companions are more powerful than your typical sentinel, and in the case of the first two are individual sentient people.  You don't get something for nothing.

Okay, so I guess my feedback would be read as: make me trade in something ELSE besides time spent doing paperwork for them. Sorry if I went off on a tangent.

Maybe they chicken out and straight up WON'T go help with a boss or invader, and bail on you. Perhaps make them trigger a nasty invader, like the Turncoat causing a hit squad of Grineer to show up at potentially bad times or even automatically as backup for the G3 and bosses, maybe just one or two extras that show up with Eximus while using him. Being a more presentable target than a sentinel also goes to risk v reward, as we see with giving rescue targets pistols, they like to die LOL and that's a point for a sentinel.

I have no idea how the factions will work, but presumably you'll be trying to be somewhat friendly with all or most of them by doing more "good" than "bad" to keep things going in the right direction, even if you're sometimes doing "bad" by that faction to increase another one. Maybe using a companion could become part of that thought process during customization, where using the Corpus proxy companion could send a % of credits to the Corpus(or whatever sub-faction) and prevent any mission you run from being "bad" in their eyes, but no mission you run with it could be considered "good" to something else either. Not a drawback, not paperwork, but it would create a thought process behind the selection other than just max DPS/Stats.

Edited by VKhaun