Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anybody Else Feel That Warframe Is Getting Less...unique?

-Pearl-

I'm not really sure. Been thinking about posting this for a couple weeks now, but this feels like a better time than ever.

Anybody else feel that warframe as a whole is a lot less unique in, well...everything? I'm not talking about the storyline either...that's another can of worms. I'm talking about the look and feel of the game.

Back before U14, the game, even though it was buggy, felt unique. Like something nobody has seen before. But after seeing Ordis, the new UI, the new weapons, new frames, everything "new" I've felt like Warframe has become less unique at some point, too streamlined and familiar. Too easy, maybe? It all feels like I've seen the interface and gameplay Somewhere before, but I can't place it. I think some of the other gaming veterans may see this better than others, but when I look at warframe now and see how much it has been streamlined for console and user friendliness, I can't help but feel that at some point...Warframe lost it's identity. The aspect that made it "WARFRAME". Right now it kinda feels like "Typical third person shooter" anymore. Doesn't feel, well, unique.

Thoughts?

EDIT: As for the User-friendly AI, yeah, no. That was a mistake saying that. The game as a whole feels more user-friendly. The UI feels...console-friendly. It's not good, not by a longshot. But it's console-friendly...ish.

Edited by -Revan-

I think that you may have just gotten accustomed to and desensitized to warframe so that it all LOOKS less unique. Not sure but I think that is what you're experiencing because I have been playing for a year + and have yet to feel this. 

Ordis and Kubrow made me feel that way. I mean, I guess he's funny and all and the Kubrow are kind of cool but they felt very... video gamey... like something that's just there to be a bullet point on the back of a box or something for a columnist to talk about in a review. I don't MIND them... but I feel like we could have skipped both of them and the game wouldn't have suffered and may have benefited from focus on other things.

I would not have said anything if you hadn't made the thread. I'm telling myself that Kubrow are just a first example of many types of companions that will be available. Groundwork for future additions that was hyped up to help the community swallow the analogous pill of dev time required to set that system up.

Edited by VKhaun

I'm not really sure. Been thinking about posting this for a couple weeks now, but this feels like a better time than ever.

Anybody else feel that warframe as a whole is a lot less unique in, well...everything? I'm not talking about the storyline either...that's another can of worms. I'm talking about the look and feel of the game.

Back before U14, the game, even though it was buggy, felt unique. Like something nobody has seen before. But after seeing Ordis, the new UI, the new weapons, new frames, everything "new" I've felt like Warframe has become less unique at some point, too streamlined and familiar. Too easy, maybe? It all feels like I've seen the interface and gameplay Somewhere before, but I can't place it. I think some of the other gaming veterans may see this better than others, but when I look at warframe now and see how much it has been streamlined for console and user friendliness, I can't help but feel that at some point...Warframe lost it's identity. The aspect that made it "WARFRAME". Right now it kinda feels like "Typical third person shooter" anymore. Doesn't feel, well, unique.

Thoughts?

Not at all. I feel like it's been completely revitalized. The old Warframe I played back in like U7.11 was a bit boring, in terms of replayability, but extremely refreshing and new, as I had never played anything like it. The old UI was a bit unattractive, and extremely confusing for new players. The gameplay was great though, and though DE hasn't really incredibly improved on it (besides Dmg 2.0 and Melee 2.0), the new variety of mission types, maps and weapons keep bringing me back. Plus the abundance of catalysts now compared to then make me actually want to keep those new guns and level the S#&$ out of them.

If Warframe had focused on its lore since the beginning, we'd be playing in a universe where the nigh-extinct Tenno wouldn't be able to easily wipe hundreds of enemies fighting solo.  In short, it all makes for a cartoony atmosphere that I can't take seriously on a deeper level of gameplay.

At surface value, it's a third person shooter with seemingly little defining it besides the warframes themselves.

Its unique in play-style. The interface is similar to dead-space is all.

Similarity is not a bad thing though.

Arch-Wings are basically Infinite Stratos but that's an AWESOME thing :D

^Yep

I still find Warframe as a uniqure third person shooting experience, allowing a wide variety of players, from casuals to hardcores, to enjoy the game, and explore the tilesets and secret rooms and create unique builds that caters to ones playstyle.

Even though Archwing isn't really a new concept, it's definitely a cool idea for the game, and will make the game even more unique imo.

Taking a couple ideas from things that has been done already doesn't make a game less unique. It's how the game uses those ideas to help define itself.

What is "typical third person shooter", though? I guess I'm just not in tune with the rest of the genre, but I don't know many examples of third person games with shooting that aren't sandboxes like GTA. Warframe's also chiefly a co-op game, and I don't think those two things come together all that often (FPSes typically have co-op campaign, but it's hardly the same).

Its unique in play-style. The interface is similar to dead-space is all.

Similarity is not a bad thing though.

Arch-Wings are basically Infinite Stratos but that's an AWESOME thing :D

I require a Laura Bodewig frame. I need it in my life.

ntEOtLI.jpg

Edited by LoopStricken

I believe its getting more unique, DE is diverging in all directions, its a shooter game, that soon shall have flying is space mechanics, now have pets, and DE keeps going off track over and over, for the better and the worse.

I can only agree with the streamline of the game, but after a long time, i believe the designers and concepts artists, are narrowing down what the concept and the visual look of the game is, and they are just keeping that concept consistency.

the problem is 

some mission (survival/defend/interception) has already taken all over our daily life in Warframe: 

* Has anyone ever try a day without Survival, Defend, Intercept or Dark Sector mission ?

* Can you think of anything else beside farm key/credit i you are in end-game stage ? 

* Anyone here still Remember the "Hijack" mission ?

ect...ect...

If you want Warframe to be less "receptive",  cross your finger and hope that 1 day DE will fix the mission system.

The thing that gets me is that new frames have eyes/eyeholes.

Up until mirage and Hydroid, the best we had was droopy face booben.

The eye thing used to bother me, but it is a part of the games athstetic.

Really the biggest change is the spectacle creep.

The game gets bigger and flashier with each update, and while that is a good thing in many respects, you lose some of the charm it had before

When I joined it felt like the Tenno were fighting a war of attrition against massive odds, now we ally with our enemies in massive battles, wielding near godlike power.

But as Bob Dylan once wrote, the times, they are a changing.

Thoughts?

My thoughts is that although warframe does try to get more serious, the graphics are throwing away alot of grit for an extremely clean touch. That is how warframe does most of its designs, so this makes for something that isn't quite unique because it feels well cartoonish in one sense, but also it feels like an average game with extremely clean graphics without the grit of the real world.

Not to mention in the past the graphics used to very good for a game by itself which made it extremely unique for a F2P TPS at its time, as in 2 years ago this graphics was astounding alone and the dark atmosphere was supported very well with the lack of bright shiny lights everywhere. It made this game very mysterious and even more engaging.

Now the game has very little darkness and alot of extremely bright shiny light, as though to tell you where to go and what is safe. There is lesser mysteries that surround darkness but now even more about the light. It is like questioning what we know and most people can't really take to questioning what we know and the light we live in, most people accept this light.

It does sound abit philosophical, but if you get it well good job, which in its essences we are forgoing alot of grit and mystery, fear and darkness, for bright lights and alot of power, we never really face anything that questions our power, we should have lost the fomorian event and than we probably would have stuck with a different version of this game.

Personally don't see anything wrong with DE taking elements from other games that are awesome.  There really isn't anything that hasn't already been thought of and developed before.  If DE can take ideas that others might have already done, but then do it better and add their own flair to it, I'm all for it.

"Typical 3rd person shooter"

Yep typical like...

Lost planet...

Lost Planet 2...

and... and...... ............ shouldnt typical include a long list of things just like it? When clearly Capcom is the only other company that came almost close, but lacked the awesomeness of Metal Gear Rising, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden?

Warframe is like... Capcom married Platinum Studios and gave birth to the savior of gaming...