Making The Word "beta" More Apparent.

Slamyourjam

I've checked both the main website of Warframe and the Steam page and the launcher itself of the game, they have no mention of the game being in beta stage of development. I find this to be an issue to newcomers because they don't know whether this is a finished product or not unless they check the Warframe forums which is the only mention I've seen of it being in beta. Making it more apparent to newcomers helps them decide if they want to fund the game or not or if they want to play it in the first place. I know that most of you enjoy Warframe as do I (although I do hate some aspects) and I invested my money before I even knew about it being a beta. Had I known I might have thought otherwise and so would many other people who play it. This is a suggestion because I had no knowledge of it being a beta until I sunk in 100+ hours, I don't want some consumers to make the same mistake I did.

I've checked both the main website of Warframe and the Steam page and the launcher itself of the game, they have no mention of the game being in beta stage of development. I find this to be an issue to newcomers because they don't know whether this is a finished product or not unless they check the Warframe forums which is the only mention I've seen of it being in beta. Making it more apparent to newcomers helps them decide if they want to fund the game or not or if they want to play it in the first place. I know that most of you enjoy Warframe as do I (although I do hate some aspects) and I invested my money before I even knew about it being a beta. Had I known I might have thought otherwise and so would many other people who play it. This is a suggestion because I had no knowledge of it being a beta until I sunk in 100+ hours, I don't want some consumers to make the same mistake I did.

Beta is kinda a loose term as applied here.  It doesn't mean at some point Warframe will go "live" and you will lose all of your progress.  It more just signifies that this is an ever-changing title with constantly updating and upgrading content.  Like how we used only have 1 tileset to play on, while now we have, what, 10?

In the rules section of the forum (which you're supposed to read before posting) you can find this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/

Also is playing it for 100+ hours and then finding out it's a beta really that big a mistake?

There has been no official statement on the matter but it is pretty safe to assume that it is out of beta, 

I don't think it's safe to assume that.

Edited by vaugahn

Beta is kinda a loose term as applied here.  It doesn't mean at some point Warframe will go "live" and you will lose all of your progress.  It more just signifies that this is an ever-changing title with constantly updating and upgrading content.  Like how we used only have 1 tileset to play on, while now we have, what, 10?

A game can't be always stuck in a stage of development. It follows the rule of Alpha>Beta> Released product. 

In the rules section of the forum (which you're supposed to read before posting) you can find this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/

Also is playing it for 100+ hours and then finding out it's a beta really that big a mistake?

I don't think it's safe to assume that.

No, but investing my money before knowing what the product is after sinking in a lot of time is a mistake. Also that thread dates back to 2012, the time where most people knew about Warframe being in Beta. Some people think that Warframe has already been released as a full product and I wouldn't blame them.

Edited by Slamyourjam

There has been no official statement on the matter but it is pretty safe to assume that it is out of beta, although it is in continued development so basically the beta argument still apply's in a a manner. 

Warframe was in private alpha, then closed beta, then open beta (I joined the first day of open beta).  There has been no sign, announcement, or word of the stage moving past open beta yet.  In addition the game isn't feature-complete for first release of what the devs want yet.

Beta is used because it is beta. Not out of it. When firstly launching the game you have to log in, then accept a thing called "Open Beta Agreement" (or something like that).

It's beta because it's still under development. If someone can't see it, it's their problem.

A game can't be always stuck in a stage of development. It follows the rule of Alpha>Beta> Released product. 

All online games are in a constant state of development, why do you think they have patches, updates, and content patches. I wouldn't want to ever play an online game that merely released it's "finished product" and never revisited it.

There has been no official statement on the matter but it is pretty safe to assume that it is out of beta, although it is in continued development so basically the beta argument still apply's in a a manner. 

Continued development doesn't mean its still applies to the title beta. Developers are allowed to update their games after they have released and supported it. Its still mentioned as beta if you look at the bugs section "PC Beta bugs"

All online games are in a constant state of development, why do you think they have patches, updates, and content patches. I wouldn't want to ever play an online game that merely released it's "finished product" and never revisited it.

Basically this, an online game cannot really be considered a finished product until the devs stop patching it all together.

Warframe was in private alpha, then closed beta, then open beta (I joined the first day of open beta).  There has been no sign, announcement, or word of the stage moving past open beta yet.  In addition the game isn't feature-complete for first release of what the devs want yet.

There should be some sort of notice so that people know what they are going into rather than going in blind. A simple "OPEN BETA" notice on the launcher, main page and Steam would fix this but I guess they are trying to escape Early Access which this game should apply to.

If a game comes out of beta its considered a finished product. That doesn't mean developers can't continue to fix the issues occurring with the product. 

Basically this, an online game cannot really be considered a finished product until the devs stop patching it all together.

It can be considered finished if it's feature complete. Which this game is not. Just because they continue to tweak it doesn't mean it's not finished, or else almost every multiplayer game released in the last few years could be considered unfinished.

Continued development doesn't mean its still applies to the title beta. Developers are allowed to update their games after they have released and supported it. Its still mentioned as beta if you look at the bugs section "PC Beta bugs"

Well the argument of "Beta" is that "the game is unfinished and these things will be addressed"

The argument of "Continued development" is "We are still actively updating and working on the game and will address these problems"

Seem pretty similar to me. 

Beta is used because it is beta. Not out of it. When firstly launching the game you have to log in, then accept a thing called "Open Beta Agreement" (or something like that).

It's beta because it's still under development. If someone can't see it, it's their problem.

I've never seen the "Open Beta Agreement when making my account, although that is my fault of course. But to spare the consumers the trouble of signing up and downloading the product before realizing that its in beta would be a good idea.

It can be considered finished if it's feature complete. Which this game is not. Just because they continue to tweak it doesn't mean it's not finished, or else almost every multiplayer game released in the last few years could be considered unfinished.

Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and a number of other games that have gone through development stages are now considered finished products but they receive updates, patches etc because exiting a beta doesn't mean your product can't continue to be supported. I do wonder how long Warframe developers want to keep this game under the "beta" title though, considering its development cycle. The problem with games under Alpha and Beta are that they can't be widely criticized by reviewers because A) the games still in development and B) its shunned upon. The point of this whole post is that if Warframe is indeed an open beta it should be noted on Steam and the main website.

the game is still in beta because it gives DE an easy excuse for when things are screwed up. not that any mmo developer/publisher actually needs one since continuous updates, changes, patches, fixes are required if they hope to keep game going.

Well the argument of "Beta" is that "the game is unfinished and these things will be addressed"

The argument of "Continued development" is "We are still actively updating and working on the game and will address these problems"

Seem pretty similar to me. 

It does yes and I'm not saying they are not. But being an "open beta" I don't support the idea of it having micro-transactions. 

the game is still in beta because it gives DE an easy excuse for when things are screwed up. not that any mmo developer/publisher actually needs one since continuous updates, changes, patches, fixes are required if they hope to keep game going.

Indeed. That and they can escape critics by bringing out the excuse "the games in beta, you can't criticize it until its finished" but one has to wonder if they will ever come out of beta.