Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Power Creep Has Led Us To (Ignis)

Guest Tehnoobshow

Braton kills them one at a time

Ignis kills them all at once

Which gun is stronger?

And the amprex is better than the ignis. everyone knows that and ive mentioned it twice in this thread at least

Paper doesnt mean a thing next to practice

In practice, Warframe scads of abilities and guns are better than Ignis. Killing trash mobs isn't hard.

In any decently long survival heavies and Eximus mobs just don't die to Ignis. Nobody has a problem killing trash so Ignis doesn't fill a role that any other gun hasn't already intruded into.

Shred also pretty much makes it trivial to hose down mobs with conventional bullets, but with the upshot that those rifles still excel at single-target.

I'm tired of hearing that Ignis has great AOE. It just isn't good enough to make up for the low damage. It only gets lower as soon as you start doing things like Shred or Firestorm to it.

Ignis also doesn't infinite punch-through technically, because it blooms an explosion on the first thing to obstruct its beam. And all explosions "punch" but you're not getting any extra distance on the beam from it without a mod. This means that scattered enemies don't get caught quite as easily in the AOE.

I just laid out, all on paper, why Ignis doesn't work.

And yes, I did test the thing before committing all this ink to the paper.

Edited by PlayGooYa

I didn't slot mutation for my ignis, till I'm run out of ammo in a 40 minute survival game. Consider myself very good at conserved ammo, but I still having ammo issue because a) 40 min heavy gunner are tough and took forever to kill and b) ignis damage is sub-par

In before you tell me I shouldn't bring ignis for a void mission. If the gun is good, it's good in all mission, aka Boltor prime, Amprex, Synapse, etc... 

Well youll be happy to know i wasnt going to say that

The ignis will do poorly against single heavy targets

Its an efficient fodder destroyer though

Youll have to use melee/secondary/powers for bigger single targets though

Its certainly better than the braton still

In practice, Warframe scads of abilities and guns are better than Ignis. Killing trash mobs isn't hard.

In any decently long survival heavies and Eximus mobs just don't die to Ignis. Nobody has a problem killing trash so Ignis doesn't fill a role that any other gun hasn't already intruded into.

Shred also pretty much makes it trivial to hose down mobs with conventional bullets, but with the upshot that those rifles still excel at single-target.

I'm tired of hearing that Ignis has great AOE. It just isn't good enough to make up for the low damage. It only gets lower as soon as you start doing things like Shred or Firestorm to it.

Ignis also doesn't infinite punch-through technically, because it blooms an explosion on the first thing to obstruct its beam. And all explosions "punch" but you're not getting any extra distance on the beam from it without a mod. This means that scattered enemies don't get caught quite as easily in the AOE.

I just laid out, all on paper, why Ignis doesn't work.

And yes, I did test the thing before committing all this ink to the paper.

Just gonna stop you here

If youre saying the ignis is worse than the MK-1 braton then youre entirely wrong and i wont waste my time

If you dont believe that but know its a low-mid tier weapon with AoE then we agree and you have no need to argue with me

If youre saying the ignis is worse than the MK-1 braton then youre entirely wrong and i wont waste my time

If you dont believe that but know its a low-mid tier weapon with AoE then we agree and you have no need to argue with me

You're the one glomming onto the MK-1 Braton as a point of comparison and taking on all comers.

There really is absolutely no contention to be had that Ignis has aged poorly. And I really question whether there was any thoughtful intention of it belonging in some low tier or whatever.

Amprex was infinitely easier to build compared to the Forma I had to drop onto the Ignis. Yeesh. I'll take three Argon Crystals over spending a Forma any day. At least the MK-1 Braton didn't commit the sin of making me pay for it.

That and Ignis just doesn't feel or look like a flamethrower. I'm blowing this colored cloud of something that just refuses to so much as wash around targets and obstacles.

Edited by PlayGooYa

Well youll be happy to know i wasnt going to say that

The ignis will do poorly against single heavy targets

Its an efficient fodder destroyer though

Youll have to use melee/secondary/powers for bigger single targets though

Its certainly better than the braton still

Amprex is better at that aspect, both single target and AOE wise. Plus Amprex do not have issue dealing with enemy that tend to hide and scatter. 

You're the one glomming onto the MK-1 Braton as a point of comparison and taking on all comers.

There really is absolutely no contention to be had that Ignis has aged poorly. And I really question whether there was any thoughtful intention of it belonging in some low tier or whatever.

Amprex was infinitely easier to build compared to the Forma I had to drop onto the Ignis. Yeesh. I'll take three Argon Crystals over spending a Forma any day. At least the MK-1 Braton didn't commit the sin of making me pay for it.

That and Ignis just doesn't feel or look like a flamethrower. I'm blowing this colored cloud of something that just refuses to so much as wash around targets and obstacles.

Did ya read the OP? The thread is a comparison of the MK-1 to the Ignis

Have you read any of my previous posts where i said Ignis could use some love but isnt bad?

Amprex is better at that aspect, both single target and AOE wise. Plus Amprex do not have issue dealing with enemy that tend to hide and scatter. 

The Amprex is better yes

Ive said this already

The fact that a new weapon is better than an older one in every single aspect, is a clear definition of power creed. Don't you think? 

If by "power creed" you mean progress then yes. Newer weapons get better. We should have stronger enemies to compliment. The meta-game shifts. Like the common advice tossed around to players distressed about launcher, Nyx, and Trinity nerfs, deal with it and adapt. If the forum community wishes to be inconsiderate, I shall return the favor.

Ignis needs a buff and Ember finaly deserves a Tenno based flame thrower. Seriously why does our fire based frame have to make duo with stolen Grineer tech?

Okay on the other hand Frost and Volt have to make use of Corpus tech. But Ember profits a lot more from a flame weapon than these two from weapons with their elements. Likewise flame thrower as a concept is simple enough that at least a second version should be common.

Edited by Othergrunty

The fact that a new weapon is better than an older one in every single aspect, is a clear definition of power creed. Don't you think? 

Again ive said the Amprex is better and the Ignis could use love

Its still ages better than the Braton and many weapons around the mid tier range

Also there are a ton of weapons that have felt the power creep

Some immediately upon release

Im looking at you Nikana

Did ya read the OP? The thread is a comparison of the MK-1 to the Ignis

Have you read any of my previous posts where i said Ignis could use some love but isnt bad?

The OP didn't flat out state that it's worse than the Braton, just that its dps is comparable. Which it is. And it's still relevant to his point that there is power creep. That this dps used to be acceptable once-upon-a-time or that it hadn't survived the transition from Damage 1.0. (I wasn't around back then.)

With a proper sense of context, that doesn't make the Ignis good. It makes it bad. Overwhelmingly so. I tried leveling the thing and just sold it, at a loss of a Forma and Catalyst. No amount of voodoo thinking regarding the AOE was going to make it good or even "just okay" when it fails to kill the first Bombards or Ancients to appear in a survival. When it comes to shooting single-enemies, it's a continuous Braton that doesn't need to be aimed.

So don't waste your time trying to pin posters down on the point that it's better. It's only marginally better. And as advice for anybody reading: Don't waste your time with it. Because we're talking a Forma+Catalyst and then some.

It doesn't even feel like a proper flamethrower because the mechanics "cheat" by making it a beam that explodes on contact, instead of being a cone that can punch-through soft targets. So it's hard to kill enemies arranged along a dispersed line at a range by swooshing it back and forth. Bodies block shots. And you want a beam that washes around them the way you'd expect fire to.

If you're familiar with the Pyro from TF2, this flamethrower is not that flamethrower. It just doesn't have the same visceral satisfaction.

This is the real reason why so many people recommend Firestorm or Shred. You need a mod to get it to behave anything resembling a flamethrower.

Edited by PlayGooYa

The OP didn't flat out state that it's worse than the Braton, just that its dps is comparable. Which it is. And it's still relevant to his point that there is power creep. That this dps used to be acceptable once-upon-a-time or that it hadn't survived the transition from Damage 1.0. (I wasn't around back then.)

With a proper sense of context, that doesn't make the Ignis good. It makes it bad. Overwhelmingly so. I tried leveling the thing and just sold it, at a loss of a Forma and Catalyst. No amount of voodoo thinking regarding the AOE was going to make it good or even "just okay" when it fails to kill the first Bombards or Ancients to appear in a survival. When it comes to shooting single-enemies, it's a continuous Braton that doesn't need to be aimed.

So don't waste your time trying to pin posters down on the point that it's better. It's only marginally better. And as advice for anybody reading: Don't waste your time with it. Because we're talking a Forma+Catalyst and then some.

It doesn't even feel like a proper flamethrower because the mechanics "cheat" by making it a beam that explodes on contact, instead of being a cone that can punch-through soft targets. So it's hard to kill enemies arranged along a dispersed line at a range by swooshing it back and forth. Bodies block shots. And you want a beam that washes around them the way you'd expect fire to.

If you're familiar with the Pyro from TF2, this flamethrower is not that flamethrower. It just doesn't have the same visceral satisfaction.

This is the real reason why so many people recommend Firestorm or Shred. You need a mod to get it to behave anything resembling a flamethrower.

You dont pick up social cuueueueueeus? maybe? ._.

Hes implying it strongly unless im wrong

How is it only marginally better than the braton?

Youre underrating the DPS potential of AoE greatly here

You dont pick up social cuueueueueeus? maybe? ._.

Hes implying it strongly unless im wrong

How is it only marginally better than the braton?

Youre underrating the DPS potential of AoE greatly here

I wrote a small book telling you to pick up the subtext. His relevant point is powercreep. And it's absolutely relevant to compare the numbers and just the numbers irrespective of the AOE, because Ignis sucks at killing heavies, which aren't rare or trivial to the Warframe gameplay experience.

But beyond what he meant or didn't mean to say, I'm also saying that the standard defense of "but the AOE!" doesn't suddenly make Ignis "just okay." The AOE is also mechanically flawed for reasons I've already laid out. DE won't code an AOE cone blast, so they use a cheapass workaround. So even for a "fun" gun, it really made me work for the satisfaction. I'm tired of hearing the AOE defense from Ignis apologists. I keep debunking it, yet you keep coming back to it.

I'm also tired of hearing about "dps on paper" in these types of discussions. That number is a verifiable fact. It does matter. It's not like people suddenly forgot that the Ignis has a blast effect. Remember, I used this thing at some personal cost, before discarding it.

Edited by PlayGooYa

I wrote a small book telling you to pick up the subtext. His relevant point is powercreep. And it's absolutely relevant to compare the numbers and just the numbers irrespective of the AOE, because Ignis sucks at killing heavies, which aren't rare or trivial to the Warframe gameplay experience.

But beyond what he meant or didn't mean to say, I'm also saying that the standard defense of "but the AOE!" doesn't suddenly make Ignis "just okay." The AOE is also mechanically flawed for reasons I've already laid out. DE won't code an AOE cone blast, so they use a cheapass workaround. So even for a "fun" gun, it really made me work for the satisfaction. I'm tired of hearing the AOE defense from Ignis apologists. I keep debunking it, yet you keep coming back to it.

I'm also tired of hearing about "dps on paper" in these types of discussions. That number is a verifiable fact. It does matter. It's not like people suddenly forgot that the Ignis has a blast effect. Remember, I used this thing at some personal cost, before discarding it.

My 1-Forma Ignis rips things apart in T3 and does its job at T4 and that's without Ember and Accelerant--a feat I can only dream of with a 1-Forma Braton (I think it wasn't until I slapped 3 or 4 Forma on that thing before I was able to see some effect in T3.) I'm not saying paper DPS is irrelevant or that Ignis is the best thing ever, but if you say Ignis is only marginally better than Braton then either you used the Braton really effectively or Ignis insufficiently. It's not just about AoE, but a number of utility advantages that Ignis has over Braton (such as the fact that you don't have to aim, like, ever, or that decrease in fire rate doesn't result in lesser status chance) that makes it more effective and appealing than Braton.

I love the Braton, I agree both Braton and Ignis need some kind of buff, but even between these less-than-top-tier guns Braton gets a much shorter straw. 

Yes I'm aware of all that and more. And have laid out all the reasons why Ignis isn't that great.

Accelerant notwithstanding since you can mod nearly any weapon to do fire damage. A maximized Accelerant build is something ridiculous like 8 or 9 Forma too and a couple of Potatoes.

You do realize that the weapon was literally meant to clear weaker enemies more effectively and not heavies right?

Lets buff the latron primes fire rate because its slow at killing groups of enemies compared to automatic weapons

When you get a heavy with the Ignis you have to melee it or use your secondary

Edited by Azawarau

You do realize that the weapon was literally meant to clear weaker enemies more effectively and not heavies right?

Lets buff the latron primes fire rate because its slow at killing groups of enemies compared to automatic weapons

When you get a heavy with the Ignis you have to melee it or use your secondary

Who care about cluster of weak enemies? They die easily enough even with automatic weapon. You don't need specific weapon to take out pawn. If you paid attention to recent buff to infestor, you would know that killing that one ancestor quickly is more important that killing a bunch of charger.. Ignis as of now, had no place in any mission. I can't think of any reason to use Ignis, unless you really into flamethrower.

Ignis need a damage buff

My 1-Forma Ignis rips things apart in T3 and does its job at T4 and that's without Ember and Accelerant--a feat I can only dream of with a 1-Forma Braton (I think it wasn't until I slapped 3 or 4 Forma on that thing before I was able to see some effect in T3.) I'm not saying paper DPS is irrelevant or that Ignis is the best thing ever, but if you say Ignis is only marginally better than Braton then either you used the Braton really effectively or Ignis insufficiently. It's not just about AoE, but a number of utility advantages that Ignis has over Braton (such as the fact that you don't have to aim, like, ever, or that decrease in fire rate doesn't result in lesser status chance) that makes it more effective and appealing than Braton.

I love the Braton, I agree both Braton and Ignis need some kind of buff, but even between these less-than-top-tier guns Braton gets a much shorter straw. 

Mine had at least 5 forma, it's fully modded with max mod. Try going longer in T3 or T4, you will felt the damage drop off every quickly. I took a full clip just to take out one heavy. It's not an efficient weapon against higher level target. You can practically use any weapon to clear short mission but only the good  one will help you survive in a 40 minute game.

Who care about cluster of weak enemies? They die easily enough even with automatic weapon. You don't need specific weapon to take out pawn. If you paid attention to recent buff to infestor, you would know that killing that one ancestor quickly is more important that killing a bunch of charger.. Ignis as of now, had no place in any mission. I can't think of any reason to use Ignis, unless you really into flamethrower.

Ignis need a damage buff

Mine had at least 5 forma, it's fully modded with max mod. Try going longer in T3 or T4, you will felt the damage drop off every quickly. I took a full clip just to take out one heavy. It's not an efficient weapon against higher level target. You can practically use any weapon to clear short mission but only the good  one will help you survive in a 40 minute game.

Have you payed any attention to my previous posts?

Try reading a few before jumping to conclusions

ignis was the first clan weapon i made, it's been my favorite weapon and still is...for lower level missions. it's damage falls off rapidly as mobs scale until you are completely out of ammo. do i take it on derelict or void endless types? no, not ever.

just figured that since it was an early weapon, DE considers it something of a starter weapon, not to be used vs higher level enemies and it's damage falloff tends to support that. it doesn't matter if it has massive aoe range (heavy cal+firestorm) if it takes 100+ ammo to kill something, it becomes inefficient. ammo mutation doesn't help.

i would love to see it buffed because i don't particularly like the amprex, sure it's efficient, able to sustain good damage and proc rates up to much higher mobs levels.

but it's not a flamethrower.

Ignis need a damage buff

That's why I always accompany Ignis with sniper-type secondaries like Lex Prime. Sure, Lex Prime's damage is enough to one-shot everything including the weak fodders, but I find sniping every single mobile entity in Void survival with Lex Prime for longer than 20 minutes not only tiring but inefficient, even wasteful. Ignis isn't meant for heavy units, all it should be doing against heavy units is lighting them on fire to panic (feels funny and weird at the same time to watch a Heavy Gunner flail her arms around at 1 dot) and giving you enough time to snipe their heads off. Of course, you might say "but you have Warframe's CC powers that can do that better!" but I'm forever alone and I don't always play with CC frames. 

Yes, Ignis does need a buff, I'm not denying that. All I'm saying, and what majority of this thread has been discussing, is that while Braton and Ignis have the same DPS on number their performances are vastly different. Ignis performs much better than Braton--this statement doesn't mean Ignis is fine as it is, and both guns need buff, Braton just happens to be in a more dire need. 

Edited by traybong111

That's why I always accompany Ignis with sniper-type secondaries like Lex Prime. Sure, Lex Prime's damage is enough to one-shot everything including the weak fodders, but I find sniping every single mobile entity in Void survival with Lex Prime for longer than 20 minutes not only tiring but inefficient, even wasteful. Ignis isn't meant for heavy units, all it should be doing against heavy units is lighting them on fire to panic (feels funny and weird at the same time to watch a Heavy Gunner flail her arms around at 1 dot) and giving you enough time to snipe their heads off. Of course, you might say "but you have Warframe's CC powers that can do that better!" but I'm forever alone and I don't always play with CC frames. 

Yes, Ignis does need a buff, I'm not denying that. All I'm saying, and what majority of this thread has been discussing, is that while Braton and Ignis have the same DPS on number their performances are vastly different. Ignis performs much better than Braton--this statement doesn't mean Ignis is fine as it is, and both guns need buff, Braton just happens to be in a more dire need. 

Youre understanding better than most

How about you just use one universally good weapon like Boltor Prime/Synapse? No reason to segregate your primary and secondary weapon functionality. You can just use one primary weapon to clear even the hardest content in game. Maybe if you're talking about sniper/bow/launcher primary couple with a good secondary like Brakk, I would had agree with you. But using a secondary to compensate a S#&$ty primary? Seem to me, you're just giving yourself reason to use a short range and low damage AOE weapon. 

How about you just use one universally good weapon like Boltor Prime/Synapse? No reason to segregate your primary and secondary weapon functionality. You can just use one primary weapon to clear even the hardest content in game. Maybe if you're talking about sniper/bow/launcher primary couple with a good secondary like Brakk, I would had agree with you. But using a secondary to compensate a S#&$ty primary? Seem to me, you're just giving yourself reason to use a short range and low damage AOE weapon. 

Boltor isnt near as ammo efficient at the latron

Youll have to sacrifice a bit of damage for ammo efficiency where latron can just fire all day

Also latron is better for getting a string of headshots on a single heavy target, especially at a distance

You can substitute crowd killing ability with a secondary or melee and use the latron for your distance shots or single target killer and be as efficient if not more efficient than using the boltor alone

The boltor is a good choice as well if you dont want to switch and dont mind ammo efficiency issues that may come

Q: Why use anything but top tier weapons?

A: For glory of Satan of course

Q: Why use anything but top tier weapons?

A: For glory of Satan of course

A: because the weapon is entertaining and fun to use, even tho it doesn't kill everything the fastest. (I don't mean just ignis when I say this plenty of fun weapons that are considered subpar)

of course if your one of the people that insist on  sprinting the missions then this probably makes no sense to you. (not looking at traybong111 specifically this is a general statement)

Braton doesn't need a buff. It's a credit bought weapon meant to be the beginner's transition into other automatic weapons. Ignis I can see getting a buff. A damage buff followed by something along the lines of leaving residual fire onto terrain to deal constant DoT while in it, to make it more in the style of a flamethrower. 

Ignis need a damage buff

In practically every single MMO you have to use only the "good" weapons for the high level content. This is not an alien idea. Quit thinking that everything should be equal and that everything should be viable for the hardest content, because it shouldn't. The Dera falls off fast in T3/T4 missions. The Flux Rifle falls off arguably faster. Many weapons fall off in high level content.

I support an Ignis buff, but I do not support this kind of misguided reasoning. Even with good intentions, the reasoning behind it ought to be solid for people to take you seriously and consider said proposals. Based on my observations, most "good" single target weapons have a DPS of 12k, so I would suggest other than my previously mentioned buff, increasing the Ignis to at least 10k DPS sustained, or 9k DPS without taking into account DoT. 

Edited by Arabaxus