The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Sort Of Becoming A Crowd Control Snob...

[DE]Momaw

this makes me ask should I be going for power/duration or duration/range with a mirage because i agree higher lvls you either need to be invulnerable (power/duration eclipse in the shadows 45 sec) or have some sort of CC (duration/range double tap 4 for 33 sec blind)

I'd prioritize Power, then put some range and duration on. Even with just Continuity, Eclipse lasts around 26-30 seconds, and Mirrors lasts about 40 (it's been a while since I've used her so I forget). With just a Stretch, Prism's blind is large enough to disable your average small room. In the Void, it'll usually get most of the enemies that are already there when you enter a new room if you cast it right away and detonate it at the right time.

You are right OP, although your opinion stems from problems with the game's scaling system. For example:

Lets say we have the MLG-Prime-Pro playing warframe. MLG-Prime-Pro has gaming skills so good he can beat Dark Souls with only the starting stuff blindfolded. He decides Warframe is his next venture, and seeks to do the same thing. With only Excalibur and Mk1 gear he destroys the entire game, not doing a single thing to mods or anything else in the game that is not required to progress through the whole thing (he does obtain all the weapons to level them for mastery rank). For the sake of this example lets assume the game equips all of Excal's abilities automatically. So, what does he experience?

Besides seeing the filth of casuals he runs into, he notices that as he progresses through the game, enemies get stronger, but he does not. His slash dash and radial javelin strike do the same damage at unranked as they do at 30 levels and 16 mastery ranks later. His radial blind and super jump, however, still does the same thing regardless of level, because it has an effect outside of scaling. Of course, these did not hinder MLG-Prime-Pro at all.

You see, the reason why CC abilities are so much better than damage abilities late game is because CC abilities do not mess with the numbers (Or do they?). Enemies strength is ever so increasing as they level, yet as a player levels, or progresses through the game, nothing happens. Warframe damage only increases when you level up the mod itself, or when you slap on Blind Rage or Intensify. Player scaling should not be tied something outside of the actual progression system. Because player scaling and progression are not tied together the game gets harder and players do not properly scale along with it.

Isn't it interesting how Hysteria, Antimatter Drop, Shield Polarize and to and extent in it's current state Absorb can handle higher level enemies versus other damage abilities? It's cause they have the means to increase their numbers to match the numbers of the enemies (when I say numbers here I mean things like enemy health values, enemy armor values, and such). Blade storm does not, but it has massive base numbers(damage) so it fairs longer than other damage abilities. Other damage abilities like slash dash do not have such a function.

In short, the OP is right. It's not because damage abilities in of themselves are bad, but rather design flaws in the progression system of the game. 

CC is a must if you even want to consider going into a long survival or defence run. For lower level stuff pure damage is usually enough, though the game boils down to ´kill them before they kill you´.

Tbh I think that taking cc into a mission is a healthy approach as it can get you out of sticky situations.

for those that don't believe CC is necessary.

try this:

loki

frost

vauban

nova

and go run t4s, stay together, work together, communicate.

use frost as a base-station. (snowglobe)

vauban as a trapper (mob flow control)

loki as a puller / radial disarm / decoy. (and only invisibility if things get hectic to amp up melee dps)

nova as a damage boost / oh crap button.

if you can't breeze your way to 60+  minutes, you're doing something wrong.

weapons aren't really important here either. just bring something that is at least supercharged and has at least a base damage bonus. (serration / hornet strike / pressure point)