Platinum Overpriced?

(XBOX)icurehangovers

Let me start off by saying that I'm really enjoying this game. I was pretty skeptical at first, but this game has definitely grown on me.

I am not starting this thread to bash on the decisions of the developer. I merely want to have a discussion on how the Xbox One Community feels about the pricing of platinum. That said, let's begin.

My question to you Xbox One users out there is this: Do you feel that $5 is too much for only 75 platinum? As far as in game items go, there isn't much you can buy for 75 platinum. Most weapons are twice that. I personally feel that $10 for a weapon is asking too much. If 75 platinum was $1 or $2 I would have already spent money on this game. It is a good game and I think the developer deserves our support. At least those of us that like the game.

Another option would be to change the platinum prices for the items themselves. If $5 will get me 2 weapons or an armor, I would have grabbed one or two packs of platinum already. Five dollars is a lot to not have something to show for it.

I'm not a cheapskate either. I really like this game and I would like to help the developers keep this game going for years to come. As a college student with maybe $60 a month (if that, and not always) to spend on videogames, prices that high without any tangible value scare me and my wallet away. I am currently weighing my options as to whether $60 for prime access is worth it or if I should just buy destiny.

What do you think Xbox One Community? Is $5 really worth just a starter Warframe?

Well i dont think £4 is all that bad to be honest... ive paid that much for DLC characters in games before and the base game for this is free whilst keeping the vast majority of the content also free for those who desire to put in the effort.

The argument could be some of the content is overpriced platinum wise though thats another debate but 75 platinum seems reasonable for the price because that kind of price range is aimed at all us newer players and given that can give you the choice of not one but three Warframes or any of the five Sentinels all with as a i recall Reactors already in place you have to say gamewise there is a helluva value for money to be had with 75 platinum for only four quid.

Ive spent a small sum on the game and besides a day one Sentinel its mostly been on stuff i didnt REALLY need to enhance my gameplay experience such as cosmetics as well as the majority of it towards expanding my Warframe/Weapon slots. The likes of Prime Access (and Destiny for that matter) are beyond my budget range as ive a baby on the way and all my money as of late has been going on the nursery and prep stuff for the wee man being born as such that decision is up to you but really you can get Destiny if it really bothers you all that much but keep coming back to Warframe none the less without spending a penny... slots, cosmetics and colours - everything else you can get in the game for exactly nadda, zilch and zero.

@Skode: First off congratulations on your soon to be bundle of joy (and no sleep). I couldn't quote for some reason.

I do plan to spend money on this game. It's not that it bothers me so much as that it worries me. It's such a good game but I fear if people are scared to spend money on this game, support might end. It is one of the issues with free-to-play games that I've always been afraid of. I am especially wary of a console free-to-play because if I spend money on it then a year down the road I can't play anymore or the game is still full of bugs or way behind on features due to lack of updates then it doesn't feel like I made a good investment. I'm sure a lot of others agree/feel the same way. At least with a game like Destiny, I know support will continue for the foreseeable future.

I know my original post came off as if I really was planning on getting Destiny but I was merely trying to use it as an example. At 3 a.m., my tired and beleaguered mind somehow thought that post came across the way I wanted it to. I was merely trying to posit the idea that some people might be scared or pushed away to a game like destiny. I'm sorry for the confusion. Never create threads drunk, high, or sleepy. LOL

In the end all I hope for is a discussion about the pricing. I would like to get the discussion away from platinum pricing then and move towards in game items being overpriced platinum-wise. Though, I did have a look through this morning on the store and I noticed I overlooked the components section. For 70 platinum, I can get all the components I am missing for a warframe blueprint I got. That really does make me want to spend money at least that way in the future.

For now, at most, I want to drop $60 on the premium access but two things are keeping me from doing that. First, I know the deal with the warframe is ending soon. I would like to know if that's really a one time offer or if the developers make these kinds of deals all the time and I should hold out for something better. Second, with the whole platinum fiasco that's going on right now, I don't know if I should buy or wait.

I can say this much, if this had been a rental or demo, I would have already paid the $60 to own this game outright. It is a great game. The first couple of days it had its hiccups. Specifically with matchmaking, but that's already come a long way. I'm sure a month from now all the issues we have had will have been rectified by the developers. I can point to other successful games that a year since their release still have some bugs that were never addressed *cough* (BF4) *cough* LOL.

i think pricing is ridiculous as through not much of a grind you can unlock most frames and/or weapons relatively quick once you know what your doing.... so on that principle i find it baffling how much platinum costs i wanted necros and had it in my head he cost around £4 which would be fair for a frame.... when i saw it was around £18 i muttered a few obscenities and thought nah il do without thanks, also looking at anything else in the marketplace i just thought why would people want to spend that amount... though its obvious people do as iv seen it but for me i wont be spending a penny on this game, il just grind out and play and see what it rewards me with.

I agree with the OP 75pp for 5$ is too much when the cost of most items is so high.

I also think the in game pricing is all over the map and should be re-evaluated where price is compared to value.

For instance on the one hand you have 75pp for a color palette that doesn't even include a full spectrum of colors, and on the other

you have the sentinels which are a great value for the same cost.

the value add difference for those 2 things are enormous! yet they have the same out of pocket cost.

If I had a significantly less amount of expendable income I dont think I'd bother with this game.

I play xbox to have fun, not grind away for meager rewards. I dont have time to spend grinding instead of having fun. no offence to those who enjoy the grind.

so far I have only purchased pp on discount via the prime packs. In this format I dont feel like I am getting completely robbed and would gladly continue to purchase pp at that rate. 

I dont think I can stomach the non discounted rate.

Kihana from over in the PC community wanted to add to the conversation but couldn't because he is not an Xbox One player.

Here is the quote:

Hey dude. I can't reply to your thread since I'm not an Xbox user (PC here), but since the price of platinum is the same for all platforms (as I understand it) this is valid feedback to your thread.

The example you gave where your paying $10 dollars for a weapon is a little bit skewed. There are weapons that can only be obtained via purchase, but that doesn't last. That's simply first release (but not every first release). Everything becomes free to obtain in the longer term. Your not so much paying for a weapon as much as your "paying to have it now". This is an important distinction.

This point doesn't detract from your question in any way, namely "is platinum over-priced", but it does change the equation. And the answer to your question has less to do with the willingness of an individual to pay, and more to do with the return DE are getting from the greater player base. They, like other companies running similar FTP gigs, do study this kind of thing with a mind to optimization.

Also, a bit of advice, since XBox is new to Warframe and your likely a newer player. If you buy plat, spend it on slots first. Frame slots, weapon slots, companion slots. You can still get those for free in the long run by selling mods and prime gear, but they are valuable enough to buy early if your willing to spend some plat. Everything else can be farmed directly.

i think pricing is ridiculous as through not much of a grind you can unlock most frames and/or weapons relatively quick once you know what your doing.... so on that principle i find it baffling how much platinum costs i wanted necros and had it in my head he cost around £4 which would be fair for a frame.... when i saw it was around £18 i muttered a few obscenities and thought nah il do without thanks, also looking at anything else in the marketplace i just thought why would people want to spend that amount... though its obvious people do as iv seen it but for me i wont be spending a penny on this game, il just grind out and play and see what it rewards me with.

If you like and enjoy the game, you should support the developer. They have development and deployment costs. I do agree that the pricing of the warframes is too high when you can buy blueprints with credits then pay for platinum to buy the components. That costs even less.

I agree with the OP 75pp for 5$ is too much when the cost of most items is so high.

I also think the in game pricing is all over the map and should be re-evaluated where price is compared to value.

For instance on the one hand you have 75pp for a color palette that doesn't even include a full spectrum of colors, and on the other

you have the sentinels which are a great value for the same cost.

the value add difference for those 2 things are enormous! yet they have the same out of pocket cost.

If I had a significantly less amount of expendable income I dont think I'd bother with this game.

I play xbox to have fun, not grind away for meager rewards. I dont have time to spend grinding instead of having fun. no offence to those who enjoy the grind.

so far I have only purchased pp on discount via the prime packs. In this format I dont feel like I am getting completely robbed and would gladly continue to purchase pp at that rate. 

I dont think I can stomach the non discounted rate.

As you say, Hyper, the priicing irregularities are really inconsistent. So, you think the best way to get platinum is to buy that premium access/pack stuff? I did notice that you get almost $99 for just $60. That's an awesome discount. On top of that, they added some booster packs and some other stuff to the mix. It adds good value.

Platinum is overpriced. Just wait for 50% or 75% discount from daily logins, though im not sure you got that on xb1.

With these it seems more reasonably priced.

Also many veterans will also tell you the same thing, but avoid buying gear, save plat for slots, catalysts/reactors and cosmetics, these also seem to be more reasonably priced than gear itself.

We don't get these. The most we get are special community-wide 20% off sales.

I didnt want to say that but youre screwed then.

I dont consider even 50-63% prime access discounts as reasonably priced and paying full price would throw me back instantly from any purchases.

@|||Devoid|||: Thank you for moving it. I did want to keep this conversation with just the Xbox community simply because the issue I have is my worry that overpriced platinum might keep Xbox One/PS4 players from buying it. If there is no love from the community, the devs might not want to keep putting resources into failing platforms. It is better here, though, because the pricing is the same across the board and it does affect everyone in the same way.

That said, I did finally take the plunge and bought $10 worth of platinum. However, I am now in the same situation as all the others that haven't got their platinum due to a bug in the system. I submitted a ticket and hopefully I get an answer soon. We'll see.

I guess now I should ask the whole community; how do you feel about the pricing for platinum? Do you think you would buy more if the platinum price was lowered to 75 platinum for $2? Would you pay the five dollars for the platinum if items in the store had a more balanced price (e.g. color packs only 30 plat, sentinels for their own price at 75 plat, and warframes at the 170 plat price point)?

@|||Devoid|||: Thank you for moving it. I did want to keep this conversation with just the Xbox community simply because the issue I have is my worry that overpriced platinum might keep Xbox One/PS4 players from buying it. If there is no love from the community, the devs might not want to keep putting resources into failing platforms. It is better here, though, because the pricing is the same across the board and it does affect everyone in the same way.

That said, I did finally take the plunge and bought $10 worth of platinum. However, I am now in the same situation as all the others that haven't got their platinum due to a bug in the system. I submitted a ticket and hopefully I get an answer soon. We'll see.

I guess now I should ask the whole community; how do you feel about the pricing for platinum? Do you think you would buy more if the platinum price was lowered to 75 platinum for $2? Would you pay the five dollars for the platinum if items in the store had a more balanced price (e.g. color packs only 30 plat, sentinels for their own price at 75 plat, and warframes at the 170 plat price point)?

The problem which de introduced to themselves is that they cant make any changes. Why they cant make any changes?? because ppl would get pissed.

Cant lower plat prices or those who bought it for higher price would be pissed, lowering prices on only 1 platform would mean that other get pissed, rereleasing founder for new platform means that somehow old founder get pissed(i dont understand that one at all).

That was at least most logical reason why they introduced discounts on pc instead of reworking prices and plat costs to be more reasonable.

We don't get these. The most we get are special community-wide 20% off sales.

Even so. It shouldn't ever be considered a fix. 

I assume the high prices are linked with this pretty much being DE first experience with a MMO. Many of the reviews they had, this was always a popular discussion. Something along the lines of : "You are selling it free? Is that alright?".

Best of luck though, my concern, an old concern now with 1 year, was that the prices of certain items on the warframe marketplace were far too random and at some points : Ridiculous.

But that is just it.

This has been an on going issue since the beginning of Warframe and most other Free to Play games. It's not going to change, so there isn't much reason to even debate it, unfortunately. You have to spend 5 dollars just to unlock a S#&$ty color panel. It's the same bullS#&$ Warframe has always had. Oh, and welcome to Warframe. :D

What level of access do the consoles get to prime access? I feel that that is the best value proposition. 

As for the actual plat prices when you take into account that every item that matters can be acquired for free and the fact that there is plat trading all I got to say is DE got to eat to.

The cost of completed items is very high. You're paying a premium for avoiding the crafting system.

Try just using plat for trading with other players to get prime parts or mods you need, and getting potatoes and formas. You might be a bit happier with the plat prices that way. And just craft everything. Work for your stuff. Don't complain that the Pay2Win side of the game has a high premium.

Everything on the market, or plat itself, is ridiculously over-priced.  Slots are the only thing approaching reasonable prices. I can get everything in the game for free, beyond slots, if I put in the effort.  I won't pay more than the full price of a AAA game for a single set of items in a F2P game, especially a "beta". 

I paid hundreds in DFO, but never for one item set, or at one time. I feel the pricing in WF just promotes NOT buying plat, and instead, promotes farming for your own gear.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Don't buy plat! If PWE takes over the game then all of your plat would become useless as all items are locked behind slot machines.

Don't buy plat! If PWE takes over the game then all of your plat would become useless as all items are locked behind slot machines.

If it is a reasonably priced slot machine with more customizations that also have stats then I would be the first in line.

http://wiki.dfo-world.com/images/thumb/6/65/Hendon_Myre_Item_Shop_Machine.png/300px-Hendon_Myre_Item_Shop_Machine.png

Guest Tehnoobshow

If it is a reasonably priced slot machine with more customizations that also have stats then I would be the first in line.

http://wiki.dfo-world.com/images/thumb/6/65/Hendon_Myre_Item_Shop_Machine.png/300px-Hendon_Myre_Item_Shop_Machine.png

Your money is still going to Commies. So there's that. Personally, I have actually had rather good luck with the Chance Packs in Blacklight: Retribution (I got a chance pack only weapon on the 5th chance pack I bought). But there's still the whole deal about PWE letting games die within a year.

Your money is still going to Commies. So there's that. Personally, I have actually had rather good luck with the Chance Packs in Blacklight: Retribution (I got a chance pack only weapon on the 5th chance pack I bought). But there's still the whole deal about PWE letting games die within a year.

DFO is the best F2P game ever, but the publishers ran it for a few years then tossed it aside. What's happening now?  DFO got a huge following, is now back in the hands of the original dev, and the original dev is releasing the game themselves.

What stops DE from doing the same? Take what you can get from them, then if they abandon the property, and you still believe in it, then take it back over yourself.

Guest Tehnoobshow

DFO is the best F2P game ever, but the publishers ran it for a few years then tossed it aside. What's happening now?  DFO got a huge following, is now back in the hands of the original dev, and the original dev is releasing the game themselves.

What stops DE from doing the same? Take what you can get from them, then if they abandon the property, and you still believe in it, then take it back over yourself.

Because your money would still be gone.